Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:00 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm feeling the patriotic motivation to rise up and fight for my country....'s need to be completely sure that some guy in the middle east destroyed some weapons that some international body told him to destroy because if he didn't then maybe possibly he could be a threat to.... our allies. Yeah, I'd die for that cause.

I think you may have failed to perceive the idea that had Hussein retained the weapons he had so often concealed and lied about, one might have been set off in a western city killing hundreds of thousands of people. I should think that most people would find the prevention of that a pretty important cause.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:01 pm
Squinney: Those charges, brought on July 18th, are the first of what is expected to be a series of charges.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
The "yellow cake" story is the only piece of evidence which the administration was subsequently able to trot out to support its contentions about a nuclear program in Iraq.

You forgot the aluminum tubes.
    When President Bush traveled to the United Nations in September [2002] to make his case against Iraq, he brought along a rare piece of evidence for what he called Iraq's "continued appetite" for nuclear bombs. The finding: Iraq had tried to buy thousands of high-strength aluminum tubes, which Bush said were "used to enrich uranium for a nuclear weapon." Bush cited the aluminum tubes in his speech before the U.N. General Assembly and in documents presented to U.N. leaders. Vice President Cheney and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice both repeated the claim, with Rice describing the tubes as "only really suited for nuclear weapons programs." It was by far the most prominent, detailed assertion by the White House of recent Iraqi efforts to acquire nuclear weapons. But according to government officials and weapons experts, the claim now appears to be seriously in doubt. After weeks of investigation, U.N. weapons inspectors in Iraq are increasingly confident that the aluminum tubes were never meant for enriching uranium, according to officials familiar with the inspection process. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the U.N.-chartered nuclear watchdog, reported in a Jan. 8 preliminary assessment that the tubes were "not directly suitable" for uranium enrichment but were "consistent" with making ordinary artillery rockets -- a finding that meshed with Iraq's official explanation for the tubes.... Moreover, there were clues from the beginning that should have raised doubts about claims that the tubes were part of a secret Iraqi nuclear weapons program, according to U.S. and international experts on uranium enrichment....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:05 pm
You have provided the Shrub's speech to the United Nations, which is not germane to a discussion of the evidence which he provided to Congress to obtain war powers. Your quote of his state of the union address conveniently leaves out the three paragraphs which preceed that passage:

Quote:
North Korea is a regime arming with missiles and weapons of mass destruction, while starving its citizens.

Iran aggressively pursues these weapons and exports terror, while an unelected few repress the Iranian people's hope for freedom.

Iraq continues to flaunt its hostility toward America and to support terror. The Iraqi regime has plotted to develop anthrax and nerve gas and nuclear weapons for over a decade. This is a regime that has already used poison gas to murder thousands of its own citizens, leaving the bodies of mothers huddled over their dead children. This is a regime that agreed to international inspections, then kicked out the inspectors. This is a regime that has something to hide from the civilized world.

Which clearly demonstrate that he is using the known support for terrorist groups of the Persians, and the known weapons of mass destruction programs of the North Koreans in a post hoc fallacy to suggest that the same can be said of Iraq. This does not constitute evidence of the type which you allege, this is simply a series of allegations on his part based upon innuendo and the post hoc fallacy.

Once again, you have made an extraordinary claim which you have failed to demonstrate. It is no obligation to me to disprove your silly claim.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm feeling the patriotic motivation to rise up and fight for my country....'s need to be completely sure that some guy in the middle east destroyed some weapons that some international body told him to destroy because if he didn't then maybe possibly he could be a threat to.... our allies. Yeah, I'd die for that cause.

I think you may have failed to perceive the idea that had Hussein retained the weapons he had so often concealed and lied about, one might have been set off in a western city killing hundreds of thousands of people. I should think that most people would find the prevention of that a pretty important cause.

Well, the same could be said about North Korea and Brazil and even the US. There is always the chance that dangerous weapons could fall into the wrong hands. I think you fail to perceive that most people don't sign up to give their lives for abstract concepts, especially when it becomes clear that going to war cannot make your country 100% safe, no matter how many countries you invade and occupy. To the contrary, it appears to have the opposite effect.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:07 pm
Setanta wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
3. Your beloved yellowcake story is one of thousands of bits of information leading to the conclusion made at the time of invasion that Iraq might well have retained WMD and/or programs. Indeed, just the superficially obvious history of Iraq's WMD activities would permit that conclusion.

This is utterly false. The "yellow cake" story is the only piece of evidence which the administration was subsequently able to trot out to support its contentions about a nuclear program in Iraq. Were there thousands, or even hundreds, or even just dozens of pieces of information, we'd have had them splashed all over the media long ago. The yellow cake story was the only thing they had to offer, and it was false. Once again, you are injecting your paranoid fantasies into the actual record of the evidence the Shrub and his Forty Theives of Baghdad offered to obtain war powers.

The mere fact that:

1. an agressive, evil dictator, had WMD and development programs to perfect them

2. that he had promised at gunpoint to destroy them, and after a dozen years had been guilty of numerous evasions and deceptions, but had not supplied proof of their destruction

was in and of itself enough justification to invade to find out whether they were gone or just farther underground.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:07 pm
So, when do we get to bring charges? We were the ones that invaded and saved the Iraqi's from this horrible dictator. Don't we get to try him for something?

Did the Germans try Nazi's? (I thought it was an American tribunal, but may be wrong.) I would think Saddam would be in Gitmo for having threatened and scared the begeezus out of us.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:08 pm
Joe, i don't believe he trotted out aluminum tubes in his plea for war powers, however.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:09 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The mere fact that:

1. an agressive, evil dictator, had WMD and development programs to perfect them

2. that he had promised at gunpoint to destroy them, and after a dozen years had been guilty of numerous evasions and deceptions, but had not supplied proof of their destruction

was in and of itself enough justification to invade to find out whether they were gone or just farther underground.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the justification which the Shrub offered in order to obtain war powers. Once again, you are gilding the lily.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
As for "mere facts," those were allegations, not facts--more than two years after the invasion, the weapons of mass destruction you allege he possessed (and your statement above cleary states that he had them) are nowhere in evidence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
You have provided the Shrub's speech to the United Nations, which is not germane to a discussion of the evidence which he provided to Congress to obtain war powers. Your quote of his state of the union address conveniently leaves out the three paragraphs which preceed that passage:

Quote:
North Korea is a regime arming with missiles and weapons of mass destruction, while starving its citizens.

Iran aggressively pursues these weapons and exports terror, while an unelected few repress the Iranian people's hope for freedom.

Iraq continues to flaunt its hostility toward America and to support terror. The Iraqi regime has plotted to develop anthrax and nerve gas and nuclear weapons for over a decade. This is a regime that has already used poison gas to murder thousands of its own citizens, leaving the bodies of mothers huddled over their dead children. This is a regime that agreed to international inspections, then kicked out the inspectors. This is a regime that has something to hide from the civilized world.

Which clearly demonstrate that he is using the known support for terrorist groups of the Persians, and the known weapons of mass destruction programs of the North Koreans in a post hoc fallacy to suggest that the same can be said of Iraq. This does not constitute evidence of the type which you allege, this is simply a series of allegations on his part based upon innuendo and the post hoc fallacy.

Once again, you have made an extraordinary claim which you have failed to demonstrate. It is no obligation to me to disprove your silly claim.

One argument at a time. You had contended that Hussein's failure to fulfill his promise to disarm and the resultant possible danger from WMD he might retain was not part of Bush's justification for invading Iraq. I provided a quotation from a speech he gave to the UN shortly before the invasion in which he made precisely this argument to justify an invasion. Who told you we were all compelled to restrict ourselves to a short period when Bush was seeking war powers from Congress? When discussing his stated reasons for invasion, I may use any reasons he stated.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
The mere fact that:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the justification which the Shrub offered in order to obtain war powers. Once again, you are gilding the lily.

In this post I was not even discussing Bush. In this post I was stating that the invasion was, in fact justified, regardless of what anyone did or didn't say about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:16 pm
If you intend to leave the train of the debate, you ought at least have the courtesy to mention it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:18 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
One argument at a time. You had contended that Hussein's failure to fulfill his promise to disarm and the resultant possible danger from WMD he might retain was not part of Bush's justification for invading Iraq. I provided a quotation from a speech he gave to the UN shortly before the invasion in which he made precisely this argument to justify an invasion. Who told you we were all compelled to restrict ourselves to a short period when Bush was seeking war powers from Congress? When discussing his stated reasons for invasion, I may use any reasons he stated.

Who gives a rat's ass what he said at the UN? No war powers, no war. That's where "the rubber hits the road."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Well, the same could be said about North Korea and Brazil and even the US. There is always the chance that dangerous weapons could fall into the wrong hands. I think you fail to perceive that most people don't sign up to give their lives for abstract concepts, especially when it becomes clear that going to war cannot make your country 100% safe, no matter how many countries you invade and occupy. To the contrary, it appears to have the opposite effect.

Of all the entities who will seek WMD in the future, a small percent of demonstrably evil dictators, ought not to be permitted to have them, particularly ones who have already tried to annex neighboring countries, or ones who have friendly relationships with terrorists. In this case, Hussein already had WMD, had large development programs to try to obtain more and better WMD, and had frequently evaded and misdirected inspectors seeking compliance with his promise to disarm. A threat of hundreds of thousands dead in a few years is hardly very abstract. Only a fool would not regard this as a realistically dangerous situation. It's too late to invade NK. They already have the bomb. Thank heaven that Saddam Hussein never got himself into such a position of near invulnerability.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who gives a rat's ass what he said at the UN? No war powers, no war. That's where "the rubber hits the road."

We had argued about Bush's stated justification for invasion. I provided a quotation from him in which he argued for invasion based on reasons you had denied he had used as justification. It doesn't matter where he said it, this is a statement of his prior to the invasion giving his reasoning for wanting to invade. What's next, anything he said on Tuesdays is off limits?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:26 pm
I repeat...

squinney wrote:
So, when do we get to bring charges? We were the ones that invaded and saved the Iraqi's from this horrible dictator. Don't we get to try him for something?

Did the Germans try Nazi's? (I thought it was an American tribunal, but may be wrong.)

I would think Saddam would be in Gitmo for having threatened and scared the begeezus out of us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:29 pm
squinney wrote:
I repeat...

squinney wrote:

Did the Germans try Nazi's? (I thought it was an American tribunal, but may be wrong.)

I would think Saddam would be in Gitmo for having threatened and scared the begeezus out of us.

It seems reasonable to me that his own people, who suffered the most at his hands, should have the honor.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:34 pm
And it seems to me that 1800+ of our children have been killed due to his threatening behavior and lack of cooperation.

Don't you wanna charge him with something for that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
We had argued about Bush's stated justification for invasion. I provided a quotation from him in which he argued for invasion based on reasons you had denied he had used as justification. It doesn't matter where he said it, this is a statement of his prior to the invasion giving his reasoning for wanting to invade. What's next, anything he said on Tuesdays is off limits?

Keep your puerile sarcasm to yourself--if you want to start a sarcasm match, you'll be in the position of a man who brings a knife to a gun fight.

You are again parading your paranoid reaction to unfounded contentions which constituted nothing more than innuendo spread around as talking points by which the Shrub could put political pressure on Congress to give him war powers. It is the only germane topic of discussion, because without war powers, he could not have invaded Iraq. Who cares what sort of BS the dim-witted or the paranoid fell for in the process? I pointed out that you were peddling your BS once again, and that no one falls for it. That remains true.

The Shrub invaded Iraq because it is a part of the PNAC agenda which he hoped to push from the time he was elected, before the September 11th attacks. It is truly pathetic that someone of your intelligence cannot accept and admit that an invasion of Iraq was a part of his plan from the beginning, but instead feel compelled to cobble together something, anything, which will suggest that the Shrub did the intelligent and morally upright thing. Those boys in the White House can see a sucker comin' a mile away, and they just love to have folks like you feeding the talking points to a gullible public.
0 Replies