Any suggestions or strategies for the (Democrats) in this upcoming 2022 midterm election?

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 10:17 am

Any suggestions or strategies for the (Democrats) in this upcoming 2022 midterm election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 14,718 • Replies: 252

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 10:26 am
@Real Music,
Free pizza for all? BTW, that's my solution for everything.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 10:38 am
Why the (2022) midterms look like the opposite of (2018).

Published: December 12, 2021

Quote:
(CNN)What a difference four years makes in politics. At this point in 2017, Democrats were about to pull off a stunning Senate win against a very flawed opponent in the deeply red state of Alabama. It was one of many indications that Democrats were on their way to a big 2018 victory.

Today, everything is different. Pretty much every single indicator that pointed to a Democratic wave in the 2018 midterms now points to a Republican one in the 2022 midterms.

Here are some of those key factors to compare:

Generic Congressional Ballot

Start with the fact that Democrats were up by about nine points in polling for the race for Congress in early December 2017. As it turned out, this was the margin by which they'd win the national House vote in November 2018.
The Republicans hold an average two-point advantage on the generic ballot in December 2021.

There have only been two midterm cycles since 1938 when Republicans had any lead on this measure at this point. One of those was 2002, when Republicans defied midterm history to gain House seats in the wake of the 9/11 attacks and very high approval ratings for President George W. Bush. The other was 2010 when they were up by two points on the generic ballot at this moment in time and went on to net gain 63 seats.

Indeed, there have been ten times since 1938 when the opposition party (i.e. not in control of the presidency) led on the generic ballot this far from a midterm. They would go on to win a majority of seats in the midterm all ten of those times.

Presidential Approval

A big reason Republicans were struggling in December 2017 was that then-President Donald Trump's average approval rating was at a meager 37%. It was the worst for an elected president about 11 months into his first term.
President Joe Biden is not much better with an approval rating of about 42%. His is the second worst approval rating for an elected president at this point in their first term.

Neither president was anywhere close to where a president's ratings have been 13 months from the midterms in cycles in which his party gained or lost less than five seats in the House. (Republicans need a net pick up of at least five seats to gain control of the House.)

The president's approval rating was between 60% and 84% at this point the three times (1962 cycle, 1998 cycle and 2002 cycle) in the polling era there was this minimal loss or gain for the president's party in a midterm election.

Special Elections and Virginia

Along with the polling, the special elections similarly point to a very different political environment from 2017. In more than 70 special state legislative and federal special elections through this point in the Trump presidency, Democratic candidates were doing an average of about 10 points better at this time than the 2016 presidential margin in that district or state was.

Right now in 2021, Republicans are doing about five points better on average than the 2020 presidential margin in an average of nearly 60 special state legislative and federal special elections during the Biden presidency.

While we still have a ways to go until the midterms, we know that the shift from the presidential baseline in special elections has been predictive of the next election. This has been true in midterms since 1994, and a lack of a major change from the 2016 baseline during the special elections in the lead up to 2020 was a major red flag that Republicans weren't as in much trouble as some of the polling indicated.

Beyond the special elections, Democrats also did more than 3.5 points better than the 2016 presidential margin in the regularly scheduled 2017 Virginia elections. This was true both in the gubernatorial race and an average of 100 House of Delegate races.

Last month, Republicans did over 12 points better than the 2020 presidential margin in the gubernatorial and an average of the 100 House of Delegate races. In doing so, they swept the top of the ticket (governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general) and gained control of the House of Delegates.

House Retirements

The results and polling are a big reason that politicians have or did run for the hills. More than a dozen Republican House members announced they were retiring from public office by early December 2017. Only five Democrats were.

Today, 11 House Democrats are retiring from public office at the end of the Congress. Just four Republicans are (excluding Rep. Devin Nunes, who is resigning).

Looking at all retirements (including those running for other elected offices, but excluding resignations), 19 Democrats are leaving the House compared to 11 Republicans at the end of the this Congress. In December 2017, it was 23 Republicans to 13 Democrats retiring at the end of that Congress.

Retirements are not a perfect indicator of future midterm outcomes, but they're a sign. Elected officials are looking at the same statistics we are. They aren't likely to retire en masse, unless they sense they're going to lose power.
That's why the party that has had more elected officials retiring from public office has lost seats in eight of the last 12 midterm cycles since 1974.

The Bottom Line

The opposition party has picked up 5 or more seats in 34 of 38 midterms since 1870. Not a lot so far suggests that the 2022 midterms will be any different.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/12/politics/midterm-election-2022-republican-wave/index.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 11:59 am
This is my message to the Democratic party:

Tim Ryan is providing the blueprint on how the democrats can keep both
the Senate and the House in the upcoming midterm elections.

In my opinion, I truly believe that Tim Ryan has provided the correct blueprint to energize
(both) Democrats and Independents to vote democrat in this upcoming midterm election.

https://able2know.org/topic/562987-1
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 12:23 pm
Rep. Tim Ryan critical of Biden, says president should ‘hit the reset button’
and focus on the economy.

Published: January 21, 2022

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. — When he hasn’t been working his day job as a Democratic Congress member from the Youngstown area, U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan has been traveling the state of Ohio in an effort to win the U.S. Senate seat that will be vacated by Republican Rob Portman’s retirement.

The “unbelievable level” of anxiety about the economy he hears from Ohioans he meets are making him urge Joe Biden to “hit the reset button” a year after he became president and prioritize economic initiatives that will put money back in people’s pockets instead of wish list items that won’t fly in the U.S. Senate.

In a Thursday interview, Ryan faulted Biden for failing to address voter anxieties about the coronavirus pandemic and not providing clear guidance to the public on issues like masking and testing to prevent the virus’ spread.

“We need to move forward with a strong agenda that’s gonna put money in people’s pockets,” said Ryan, urging Biden to break up big legislative packages such as the “Build Back Better” measure that stalled in the Senate, and work on passing the parts where there’s agreement “so we can hit the reset button here.”

Ryan’s critique comes as polls show more Americans disapprove than approve of how Biden is handling his job as president, 56% to 43%. A new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research indicates just 28% of Americans say they want Biden to run for reelection in 2024, including only 48% of Democrats.

Biden acknowledged the need for a reset during a Thursday press conference to mark his first year in office. Biden highlighted progress in vaccination, employment, remedying child poverty and new business application rates under his tenure, health care premium reductions for millions of families and record investments in public infrastructure.

He blamed the nation’s high level of “frustration and fatigue” on” COVID-19, and said the nation now has the “vaccines, boosters, masks, tests, pills — to save lives and keep businesses and schools open.

“What I have to do, and the change in tactic, if you will: I have to make clear to the American people what we are for,” said Biden. “We’ve passed a lot. We’ve passed a lot of things that people don’t even understand what’s all that’s in it, understandably.”

Ryan’s Northeast Ohio Republican colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives had more forceful criticisms of Biden’s performance, with Holmes County Republican Rep. Bob Gibbs calling the press conference “an absolute disaster of his own making.

“He refuses to understand his radical agenda has been rejected by the American people and even elected officials in his own party,” Gibbs continued in a Twitter statement that blasted Biden for aggravating inflation, among other things.

“That was quite possibly the worst first year for a President in our lifetime,” added a Twitter statement from Champaign County Republican Rep. Jim Jordan.

Ryan said Biden needs to do a better job of selling the administration’s successes, such as the American Rescue Plan and the remedy it included for multi-employer pension plans. Other highlights he should promote include the child tax credit that was in effect during the latter half of 2021, and money that’s going to state and local governments from the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which passed in Congress with support from all the state’s Democrats and a handful of Republicans including Portman and U.S. Rep. Anthony Gonzalez of Rocky River.

“The money that’s going to the state and local governments that they’re now passing out, no one has a clue that it’s from the federal government,” said Ryan. “That bipartisan infrastructure bill is going to be a huge shot in the arm, and yet the American people don’t really realize this because we’re not driving the agenda, driving the narrative in the country to let people know that we’re trying to put money in their pockets, we’re trying to rebuild the country.”

Ryan said he’s been “talking to people in the administration” to relay his views. Ryan wants Biden to travel the country to tout his successes, including visiting Ohio.

“It’s important for the President to hear from guys like me, who are in a working-class district in a working-class state,” said Ryan. “I’ve been traveling the state and have my ear to the ground. I think my views are coming directly from the people of Ohio, and it’s important for those to make it to the highest level of government, and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/01/rep-tim-ryan-critical-of-biden-says-president-should-hit-the-reset-button-and-focus-on-the-economy.html
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 12:33 pm
@Real Music,
I'm glad you're running this thread, RM, and I hope there are some other good candidates and ideas we can discuss.
Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 12:39 pm
@hightor,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 07:55 pm
South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn, former chairman of the RNC Michael Steele, and former DNC chair Howard Dean
join Jonathan Capehart to discuss the path ahead for President Biden's agenda in the face of grim new polling from.

Air date: January 23, 2022

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2022 05:46 pm
@Real Music,
Drag every single registered Democrat voter to the polls. Democrats have a tough time voting in midterms and we have just plain got to get them out in numbers like Nov 2020.

Midterms are how the GOP as stuff state legislatures and gerrymand. Its how they get candidates ready for national office.

Vote every election: even special elections for dog catchers. Run for schools boards - a jumping off point for lots of GOP pols.
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 09:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, you'd better send a message to the Democrats to ensure they're rounding up eligible voters and making sure everyone's paperwork is in order and they can get to the voting stations on time.
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:18 pm
@Mame,
The justified superiority complex of Democrats prevents them to rally together and to go vote like the Trump sheep do. Getting them to vote en masse is the challenge.

If a Democrat cannot bother to go vote in anyone against Trump then one is left wondering how come they are democrats at all.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:24 pm
Wah wah
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:27 pm
I haven't been reading this thread. Someone may have pointed this out already. Independent voters will carry the election in all probability. So it's important for Democrats to show up. But independents have to be enticed. They don't automatically fall in line.
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:30 pm
Hey nono... and that's not how you spell HEIFER, lol.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:33 pm
Stop watching Fox News, "it's rotting the few brain cells you have" left. Get a life. Get some perspective. Get some fresh air. Get a hobby. Get a grip!

Stop coming on this site with new names, nono.
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:37 pm
ok, mr. nono
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Drag every single registered Democrat voter to the polls. Democrats have a tough time voting in midterms and we have just plain got to get them out in numbers like Nov 2020.

Midterms are how the GOP as stuff state legislatures and gerrymand. Its how they get candidates ready for national office.

Vote every election: even special elections for dog catchers. Run for schools boards - a jumping off point for lots of GOP pols.

I agree with everything you are saying in your post.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 10:53 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Well, you'd better send a message to the Democrats to ensure they're rounding up eligible voters and making sure everyone's paperwork is in order and they can get to the voting stations on time.

1. Yes. I agree.
2. I would also add that the dems need to be doing that right now.
3. You can be assured that the republicans will place as many obstacles as they can, to make it harder to register and harder to cast a vote.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 11:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I haven't been reading this thread. Someone may have pointed this out already. Independent voters will carry the election in all probability. So it's important for Democrats to show up. But independents have to be enticed. They don't automatically fall in line.

1. I agree that getting the independent voters vote will be important.
2. I also agree that it will be extremely important that the democrats show up.
3. I would also add that it is very important that the dems do what Congressman Tim Ryan is currently doing.
4. The dems should be touring their local districts and States to see and listen to real everyday people.
5. The dems need to be doing that now. Later will be too late.
6. The dems should be touring and telling the voters in their local districts all of the good things they have done.
7. The dems should be touring and telling the voters what we stand for and what we want to fight for.
8. The dems should be touring and showing the voters how the republicans do not stand for their interest or concerns.
9. In fact the dems should expose the republicans for the bad things that they truly do stand for.
10. Also, the dems should be touring and telling the voters in their districts that the democratic party would be able to do even more if it weren't for the repulican party unwillingness to work with us in good faith.
11. Also, the dems need to prevent any republican who voted against the bi-partisan infrastructure bill from taking any credit of the benefits that bill may have brought to their district.
12. Many of those republicans dare to campaign about on the good things that the bi-partisan infrastructure bill while they in fact voted against that very bill.
13. Don't let any of those particular republicans claim any of that good credit. They will try to take credit. Some are already trying to take credit.
14. Challenge those particular republicans every single time they dare try to take credit.
15. Don't let those republicans get away with that crap.
16. Let me be clear. I am a democrat and I am proud to be a democrat.
17. I want every democrat to lift their head up, stick their chest out, and show the voters how proud we are to be democrats and how we truly and genuinely want to help real people and the voters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2022 12:05 am
The Democrats would fare better if they kept their campaign promises.