Any suggestions or strategies for the (Democrats) in this upcoming 2022 midterm election?

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 06:17 am
I will say once more about abortion and then let it go. The act of not liking that abortion happens whether by man or woman is no prompter to a woman that she ought to be contrite. A woman or man should never be contrite when doing what they need to do in life.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 06:29 am
@neptuneblue,
You are the one claiming that women don't suffer any ill effects from having an abortion, and to say that they do is an attack on women's reproductive rights.

I have no idea what goes on in your abortion clinics.

In ours women are given proper counselling so they can arrive at an informed decision.

I have no idea what goes on in your country.

In our schools for example, children aren't shot at, which is not the case in America.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 08:08 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

What you are saying is wrong.

What you, and Lash, are saying is that morally speaking, women are wrong to seek a medical procedure they require. You are passing judgement, in moral terms along with legal terms, who deserves protection and who deserves moral condemnation.

You do not deserve to do that.

How is this so hard of a concept to grasp?

This is a lie.

Two women I know who had abortions are traumatized still by having abortions.
Nothing you say changes that reality.

I’m not passing judgement. I’m relating experiences I had with those women.

Is that such a hard concept to grasp?
Lash

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 08:09 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

1. For the record, I believe the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade is wrong on multiple levels.

2. For the record, I believe the restrictive laws being passed into law by Republicans in various States across the country is also wrong on multiple levels.

I agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Although I do think Lash was guilty of using emotive language when she talked about a "homecoming Queen," ( whatever that is,) losing her little boy.

It wasn't a little boy, it was a collection of cells.

It may havehad the potential to develop into a boy, but at the time it was just acollection of cells, cells which the body may well have miscarried before being brought to full term.

She’d asked the doctor and described to me what she lost as “her little boy,” but I acknowledge your point.
She was actually voted Homecoming Queen by our senior class. Incredibly popular. I did include this to show Revelette that everyone knew her, but almost no one knew she’d had an abortion. You never know the people in your life who made that choice, but didn’t inform you.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 08:45 am
@Lash,
I thought Homecoming Queen was just a line from Daydream Believer.
Lash

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 09:49 am
@izzythepush,
It’s a thing. Especially in the southern states.

Football is such an epic lifestyle tradition—a lot of pageantry has grown up around it.

Homecoming is the last Home football game of every season. The student body votes for the Queen — a popularity contest. The Queen is announced during halftime of that game. Crowns and flowers.

(winces)
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 10:42 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Two women I know who had abortions are traumatized still by having abortions.
Nothing you say changes that reality.

I won't deny some women have trauma. But for the most part, women do not.

Five Years After Abortion, Nearly All Women Say It Was the Right Decision, Study Finds
Even Those Who Struggled to Make the Abortion Decision Supported it Years Later

By Laura Kurtzman

Five years after having an abortion, over 95 percent of the women in a landmark UC San Francisco study said it was the right decision for them.

The findings, published Sunday, Jan. 12, 2020, in Social Science & Medicine, come as many states are requiring waiting periods and counseling for women seeking abortions, based on the assumption that they may regret having them.

But the researchers at UCSF’s Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH) found no evidence that women began to regret their decisions as years passed. On the contrary, the women reported that both their positive and negative feelings about the abortion diminished over time. At five years, the overwhelming majority (84 percent) had either positive feelings, or none at all.

This debunks the idea that most women suffer emotionally from having an abortion.

CORINNE ROCCA, PHD, MPH

“Even if they had difficulty making the decision initially, or if they felt their community would not approve, our research shows that the overwhelming majority of women who obtain abortions continue to believe it was the right decision,” said Corinne Rocca, PhD, MPH, associate professor in the UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, and first author of the study. “This debunks the idea that most women suffer emotionally from having an abortion.”

The researchers analyzed data from the Turnaway Study, a five-year effort to understand the health and socioeconomic consequences for nearly 1,000 women who sought abortions in 21 states around the country. The analysis included 667 participants who had abortions at the start of the study. The women were surveyed a week after they sought care and every six months thereafter, for a total of 11 times.

While women did not report regretting their decision, many did struggle initially to make it. Just over half said the decision to terminate their pregnancy was very difficult (27 percent) or somewhat difficult (27 percent), while the rest (46 percent) said it was not difficult. About 70 percent also reported feeling they would be stigmatized by their communities if people knew they had sought an abortion, with 29 percent reporting low levels and 31 percent reporting high levels of community stigma.

Those who struggled with their decisions or felt stigmatized were more likely to experience sadness, guilt and anger shortly after obtaining the abortion. Over time, however, the number of women reporting these negative emotions declined dramatically, particularly in the first year after their abortion. This was also true for those who initially struggled with their decision.

And relief was the most prominent emotion reported by all groups at the end of the study – just as it was at every time point in the study.

"This research goes further than previous studies, in that it follows women for longer, and was conducted on a larger sample from many different clinics throughout the U.S.,” said Julia Steinberg, PhD, an assistant professor in the department of family science at the University of Maryland, College Park, who wrote an accompanying commentary on the study in Social Science & Medicine. “It shows that women remain certain in their decision to get an abortion over time. These results clearly disprove claims that regret is likely after abortion.”

Authors: Corinne Rocca, PhD, MPH, Diana Foster, PhD, Heather Gould, MPH, and Katrina Kimport, PhD, of UCSF; and Goleen Samari, PhD, MPH, of Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.

Funding: The study was supported by research or institutional grants from the Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and an anonymous foundation.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/01/416421/five-years-after-abortion-nearly-all-women-say-it-was-right-decision-study
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 11:18 am
@Lash,
The closest we have, at least the closest thing I can remember is the May Day fair at the village of Bredhurst in Kent.

There was a reenactment of George and the Dragon which terrified me, but the fair was opened by the May Queen, who was a young girl from the village.

"If there's a bustle in the hedgerow,
Don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen."

Bredhurst is about 18 miles from Faversham.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 11:37 am
I think that everyone on the last two or three pages agrees that abortion is a woman's right to choose.

Real Music

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 06:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think that everyone on the last two or three pages agrees that abortion is a woman's right to choose.

Agreed.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 09:08 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
5. I wonder what Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema think about the republicans plans.

They would find some way to rationalize it; after supporting it. Wish it were possible to vote them out, may as well have die hard republicans as those two.
revelette1

Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
I agree with you on this post. #7,226,947.

Quote:
The problem is that many anti abortion activists are also against birth control and sex education.
Very true.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 10:03 am
Timothy Snyder
On Tyranny
Lesson 3
Beware the one-party state

(The Republican Party is now avoiding talking about policy but instead concentrating on manipulating the system, rigging the system so as to never lose an election.)

(quote)
The parties that remade states and suppressed rivals were not omnipotent from the start. They exploited a historic moment to make political life impossible for their opponent, so support the multi-party system and defend the rules of democratic election.

Now, for me it's very important that democracy and anti-democracy is not a partisan affair. The temptation that lead us or our political leaders away from democracy are old and had been understood for a couple thousand years. The reasons why one party or another can cease to campaign democratically are pretty much the same over time. I'm going to explain the way the dynamic works. It works like this: If you become a party that rigs the system-- I'm talking about America but it doesn't have to be. We know this from examples, modern examples from the last hundred years. If you become a party that rigs the system, you cease to become a party that campaigns for votes on policies. So basically you have a choice. Sure, parties are going to campaign hard, parties are going to use the rules as best they can, but when your main issue is rigging the system, when your main concern is not the population but how you going to gain the elections, then you cease to be a democratic party, and this works over time. The longer and the better you get at gaming the system, the worse you are at speaking with people and coming up with policies.

...it's a general tendency apparent from history if you push people out of elections out of the electoral system, and If you deny them a vote in democracy, they will seek other ways to make their voices heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTtFTo4lJ14
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 09:21 pm
@revelette1,

Agreed.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 01:15 am
1. I really love how the democrats are starting to stand up to the republicans and exposing the "ultra-MAGA" republicans for who and what they truly are.

2. I thank Biden and hope Biden continues to expose the republicans for who and what they truly are.

3. The more the democrats expose the republicans for who and what they truly are, the more the country will reject the republicans in this upcoming midterm elections

4. Also, I hope the democrats continue to tell the public what we democrats are all about and what we democrats stand for.

5. And when the democrats talk to the public, show some passion, conviction, and emotions.

6. In other words, I want the dems to go out in the public and speak from the heart on what we stand for.

7. Also, I want the dems to go out in the public and speak from the heart and expose the republicans of what they really stand for.

8. We democrats need to tell the country who we are.

9. We democrats need to tell the country who and what the republicans are.

10. For the sake of our nation, we democrats need to keep both the House and the Senate in this upcoming midterm election.

11. Also, we democrats need to put just as much emphasis on local races. Especially the State Secretary of State races in various states across the nation.

12. We all know that the "ultra-MAGA" republicans have every intention on attempting to overturn elections they lose with the help of "ultra-MAGA" State Secretary of States.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 01:34 am
I also thank Michigan democrat, Sen. Mallory McMorrow for showing everyone how to deal with
Republican hate in powerful speech.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 01:48 am
1. If we democrats push at the republicans and their ideas hard enough, I expect the republicans will become very uncomfortable and weak at any attempt to counter.

2. It will be hard for the republicans to counter, when we democrats have better ideas on actually helping everyday real people all over the country.

3. It will be hard for the republicans to counter, when we exposed them of not caring one single bit for everyday real people.

4. As far as I'm concern, the republicans have and continue to spit on and **** on everyday real people.

5. This is how I talk. I hope more democrats start talking the same way.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 05:26 am
Yeah. You've done enough harm. Make yourselves scarce. Maybe, maybe in ten years people will forget how you abused them during COVID, forcing everyone to wear muzzles. How you wrecked the economy with your misguided car policies (let's raise the price of gas, so everyone will be forced to buy electric cars). How you worsened racial tensions. And how you double down on all of these policies. How you forced some of us into early retirement, at age 39.

The best thing you can do is get out of your own way.

But you won't do that. So I offer another strategy. Create a little floating island (heck, call it Portlandia) by disjoining Washington, Oregon, and California from the West Coast. All of you move there. Nobody will bother you. You can be as woke as you want, but leave the rest of us alone for good. No take backs, things wind up screwed up, you have to fix it yourself. No moving back to the mainland. The rest of us are tired of your virtue signalling and posturing.

And it's all about winning to you. If you lie and cheat to win an election, you haven't won anything. This country was found on the idea of the will of the people being needed to rule. You are so far from that ideal that you don't even understand how hated you are. Democratic party used to seem okay. In my grandfather's generation, there were classical Democrats. Even in my dad's (since my dad had me when he was older than most). But now, they're a bunch of weirdoes who far from wanting to make women equals to men, would prefer they be stunted and unsure about what they want. Most of them are on birth control, as their sexual function is seen as a liability. Despite the fact that Yaz has been linked to cancer and does horrible things to their body, they are basically convinced to take a drug that lets men have sex with them with no consequences. Then they are convinced that it is their choice to be child killers. Are you sure? Or was there a bit of pressure there? What exactly do you win with the midterm elections? Forcing more of the same crap down oue throats? On the other hand, if you were to lose gracefully? You'd have my respect at least for that. No screaming at the sky. No tampering with results overnight. Just go. Do you thing in these woke states, stay out of Virginia, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Leave the rest of us alone. Or be loathed for the rest of your existence, and hopefully go the way of the Whigs.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 05:32 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Yeah. You've done enough harm.

Don't blame your lobotomy on the Democrats.