jjorge

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:03 am
This is only one reason why Bush deserves to be rated as a '1' :

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5707&highlight=
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:36 am
c.i
Although you and I may see it that way there are, according to polls, a majority of Americans do not. But they for the most part are not participants of a2k. That is why the results will only reflect a liberal bias and will not reflect those of the nation as a whole.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 11:41 am
au, I understand that most Americans give Bush a high marks for how he's handling this war. I'm only dumbfounded by these polls. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 12:47 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
au, I understand that most Americans give Bush a high marks for how he's handling this war. I'm only dumbfounded by these polls. c.i.

COMMENT:

1) Allow me to phrase the question, and I can get "most Americans" to agree to damn near anything.

2) "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." H.L.Mencken
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
frank frank frank doh its mis-underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:52 am
Dubya's huge favorable poll results in his handling of the Iraq conflict will plummet before the skirmish is over.

That's because Dubya's administration lacks a clear focus of where the conflict is headed. At this point, confusion is the order of the day. Our troops in northern Iraq have been given a four to six day respite, reportedly for lack of supplies.

Rising casualty numbers -- and the return home of our dead young soldiers in body bags -- will first cause the nation tremendous grief. That grief will soon turn to anger as Americans wonder how they were lulled into believing Dubya's spin on Iraq in the first place.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:54 am
williamhenry, Your theory on how this war will play out with the American people does not jive with my opinion. The way I see things, more Americans are going to strengthen their belief for Bush and this war - even as we see more body bags shipped home. People hate to admit to mistakes this BIG. That's only human nature. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:03 am
Bringing perspective to the Bush presidency.

WIZARD OF OZ

The last four ex-U.S. Presidents are caught in a tornado, and off they whirled to OZ.

They finally make it to the Emerald City and come before the Great Wizard. "WHAT BRINGS YOU BEFORE THE GREAT WIZARD OF OZ?"

Jimmy Carter steps forward timidly: "I've come for some courage." "NO PROBLEM!" says the Wizard. "WHO IS NEXT?"

Ronald Reagan steps forward, "Well, I think I need a brain." "DONE" says the Wizard. "WHO COMES NEXT BEFORE THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ?"

Up steps George Bush sadly, "I'm told by the American people that I need a heart." "I'VE HEARD IT'S TRUE!" says the Wizard. "CONSIDER IT DONE."

There is a great silence in the hall. Bill Clinton is just standing there, looking around, but doesn't say a word. Irritated, the Wizard finally asks, "WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"Is Dorothy here?"
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:09 am
c.i.<

I respect your opinion. My analysis of plummeting American support for this conflict in Iraq is based upon a
memory of the Vietnam War.

We thought our media had a sense of immediacy then. We actually saw battle footage on our TVs just days after the fight. The blood and carnage eventually played out with Lyndon Johnson's decision not to seek re-election.

Today, we see the war as it happens. We don't have to wait for film to be flown to New York, edited and then aired. We have become a spectator to death as it occurs.

Should the Iraq skirmish end today, Dubya might still have a positive hold on public opinion. But -- as during the Vietnam War -- when the toll in human lives is explored on TV news during the dinner hour, Americans are going to tire of the Iraq war should it last the months that are predicted.

We should be so lucky should Dubya not wish to seek re-election.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:17 pm
ci: I agree with William Henry...already the press is reporting things a little differently, even my martial drum beating Washington Post. We are starting to see generals in the field question things, ie, General William Wallace(great name!) and the pictures are beginning to come home of dying and injured Iraqis. This is not going as planned despite what they say. It will take time, but IMHO this is going to change. The body bags have a way of doing it.

Robert Fisk on the lies about Basra...it is in Iraqi hands, not ours!

http://truthout.org/docs_03/033003D.shtml
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:15 pm
its reported that Lyndon Johnson said "when i lose Cronkite i lose the war"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:11 pm
The total casualty rate is now close to 1,500 for this war. At the same time, Bush and Blair are both getting better ratings by both the Americans and Brits. I think this trend is here to stay for the duration of this war. c.i.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
Here's a link to a thoughtful news analysis:

Bush's Peril: Shifting Sand and Fickle Opinion
[/i]By R. W. Apple Jr.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/international/worldspecial/29CND-ASSE.html.

Yes, Vietnamnurse, the times are indeed changing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:56 pm
Williamhenry - that article is gone - I don't suppose you have a copy you could pop in here?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 08:02 pm
dlowan<

Thanks for letting me know that the article has disappeared. Perhaps the link will be available to use tomorrow since it is dated 3-30.

Meanwhile, if you go to today's edition of The New York Times on the Web(www.nytimes.com), you can find this article very quickly on the home page of the March 29 edition. It is in the left-hand column and is either the second or third article down.

Or, if you PM your e-mail address to me, I will find the text and send it to you.

My resources for "popping in" are limited.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 09:05 pm
and 9 journalists missing in action.... a couple known dead.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 09:54 pm
the best and the brightest . . .

peace
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:07 am
Got it in the online edition, as you said, Williamhenry - thanks.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 04:50 pm
I think that Mr. George W. Bush really believes in things he stands for. I give him 10.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
steissd wrote:
I think that Mr. George W. Bush really believes in things he stands for. I give him 10.

COMMENT:

Steissd

Hitler believed in the things he stood for also. What would you give him?
0 Replies