This is Biden's America

BillRM

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:24 pm
@oralloy,
I
Quote:
prefer not to be associated with nations that commit atrocities.

My my so you have never read a history book in your life!!!!!!!!!
Mame

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:34 pm
@BillRM,
No kidding... just look at what Americans have done to the indigenous, blacks, hispanics, etc., not to mention all those who have been detained in Guantanamo Bay. Also atrocities abroad in South America. And even to your own whites.
vikorr

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps I'm missing something - but I don't see what the initial video has to do with the rest of the thread. To me, the initial video only outlines what has been developing / growing over decades - in most western countries (as far as I'm aware).
edgarblythe

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:45 pm
@vikorr,
It's pertinent because it's still ongoing and is very successful.
vikorr

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree the video is pertinent, I just didn't see it tied into the thread

In 2007 (first published date) there was a book called 'Silencing Dissent' that talked about the start of such things in Australia. The rise of social media & the internet issues raised in the video, is in many ways a natural extension of this book.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:00 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Ancient history has nothing to to with the present.

That said, dropping justice bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not an atrocity. It was a great military victory against a ruthless and implacable enemy.
oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:04 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
No kidding... just look at what Americans have done to the indigenous, blacks, hispanics, etc.,

We are not committing atrocities against any of the above. Or are you referring to gun control?

Bans on pistol grips are indeed atrocities, but the Supreme Court is soon going to set things right.

Mame wrote:
not to mention all those who have been detained in Guantanamo Bay.

Detaining murder suspects is not an atrocity.

Mame wrote:
Also atrocities abroad in South America.

We are not committing atrocities in South America (or anywhere else).

Mame wrote:
And even to your own whites.

Again, are you referring to gun control? Because otherwise we are not committing atrocities against white people either.

Bans on pistol grips are indeed atrocities, but the Supreme Court is soon going to set things right.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Ancient history has nothing to to with the present.

That said, dropping justice bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not an atrocity. It was a great military victory against a ruthless and implacable enemy.

LOL so events many of them that had occur in a time period of one person life span like mine is now ancient history?

How many decades in the past do you consider that events are now ancient history???
BillRM

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 08:54 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
great military victory against a ruthless and implacable enemy

Ruthless enemies such as second and even third generations american citizens of Japanese blood???
edgarblythe

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 09:38 pm
Dilan
@dilanpcook
·
7m
you think maybe if homeless people legally change their names to Israel we could trick Biden into sending them money?
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 09:39 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Ruthless enemies such as second and even third generations american citizens of Japanese blood???

If they were in Hiroshima and Nagasaki preparing to resist our invasion of Japan, then yes.
oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 09:40 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
LOL so events many of them that had occur in a time period of one person life span like mine is now ancient history?
How many decades in the past do you consider that events are now ancient history???

Any amount of time is fine, so long as our government is not currently carrying out atrocities today.

If our government once committed an atrocity in the past, that does not make our current government morally equivalent to governments that continue to commit atrocities in the present.

And again, dropping justice bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was no atrocity.
BillRM

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 10:19 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If they were in Hiroshima and Nagasaki preparing to resist our invasion of Japan, then yes.

No they was in camps with barb wire and machine guns towers or fighting and some dying for our nation while their families was in such camps.

Yes every bad deed in our nation history does not matter for some strange reason of your own but we have as must blood on our hands as most of the major nation states
oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 10:25 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Yes every bad deed in our nation history does not matter for some strange reason of your own

The reason is hardly strange. An atrocity in our past does not make our current government morally equivalent to governments that continue to commit atrocities today.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 10:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If our government once committed an atrocity in the past, that does not make our current government morally equivalent to governments that continue to commit atrocities in the present.

Nonsense as anytime those in power in the US see any gain in doing atrocities they will do atrocities as there is no indication that we are now or in our past anymore morals then other major nation states.
oralloy

Mon 2 Aug, 2021 10:59 pm
@BillRM,
Wrong. We do not commit atrocities, and we are not morally equivalent to nations that do commit atrocities.
BillRM

Tue 3 Aug, 2021 06:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Wrong. We do not commit atrocities, and we are not morally equivalent to nations that do commit atrocities.

LOL when did we stop doing atrocities???????
edgarblythe

Tue 3 Aug, 2021 07:00 am
Dems Scored Real Estate Cash Before Letting Eviction Ban Expire
BY ANDREW PEREZ,JOEL WARNER – 03 AUG 2021 – VIEW ONLINE →

Photo credit: AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite
Paid subscribers: CLICK HERE to add comments to this story online. You can also use our tip jar here.

Free subscribers: Please become a paid subscriber. You get exclusive podcasts, digital publications, and live events – and you support this journalism.

Click to share this on Facebook
House Democrats’ super PAC took in a million dollars from the chairman of a massive apartment rental company in June, before letting the federal eviction moratorium expire over the weekend amid a COVID-19 pandemic that continues to surge.

Last week, President Joe Biden’s administration belatedly called on Democrats in Congress to pass legislation to extend the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) eviction ban only days before it was set to expire on July 31 — a full month after Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote that the moratorium would have to be extended by legislation.

The late request by Biden’s press secretary Jen Psaki seemed to catch Democratic lawmakers off guard as they were getting ready to enjoy a long summer recess period. House Democrats tried to quickly pass legislation extending the moratorium by unanimous consent, a maneuver that Republicans blocked. Afterwards, the House adjourned, and lawmakers started streaming out of town.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 3 Aug, 2021 09:25 am
Beyond the initial relief to have Trump out of power is the realization that this nation is still in deep trouble. The pandemic is not under control even as we relax and quit wearing masks, decide unprotected children will go to school, and eat in restaurants again. New variations of the virus are still in the process of evolving and we don't know but one of the new ones to come may not be affected by the vaccines. We are on a collision course with any new variations because the poor nations are not getting enough help with their infections and the United States is not seriously trying to quell it at home. It's going to be a long scary year just over the virus alone. Plus ending payouts to the unemployed and evicting people over unpaid rent will add to the downward spiral ahead.
hightor

Tue 3 Aug, 2021 10:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Plus ending payouts to the unemployed and evicting people over unpaid rent will add to the downward spiral ahead.

If things continue to deteriorate they might need to be started up again.