This is Biden's America

oralloy

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 08:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Why would it be in China's interest to invade Japan, Australia, or South Korea?

It may not be. But that's never stopped an aggressor from invading their neighbors before.

We have an ally called Taiwan too.

hightor wrote:
Learn Mandarin.

I have a better idea: Keep our military strong so it can continue to defend the free world.

hightor wrote:
When the economy tanks, the electric grid fails, and the distribution and communications networks collapse they will be immersed in a new world whether they like it or not. What are they going to vote for? A return to the 1950s? Way too late for that.

If Democrats subject the voters to rolling blackouts, the voters will vote for Republicans, and the Republican-led government will build power plants.

hightor wrote:
I don't think economical fracking will last that long; isn't its efficiency dwindling and isn't the industry heavily subsidized?

I haven't heard this, although I do not keep up with the fracking industry.

hightor wrote:
I'm not opposed to a new generation of nuclear technology but I don't think it could be developed quickly enough to forestall a collapse.

Build more third generation reactors then.

hightor wrote:
Looks like coal then, doesn't it.

Coal will work.
edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 09:12 am
@hightor,
"Biden was elected to change presidents; with a few exceptions Democrats running for Congress failed miserably, including progressive candidates. That indicates that voters, when given a stark choice, are still wary of rocking the boat."

What it says to me is, people did not want Biden or Democrats. They just wanted to be rid of Trump. There's a good reason they don't like Democrats. All talk and no delivery of the goods.
hightor

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 09:36 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
We have an ally called Taiwan too.

I knew there was one I was missing. I used to support unification with China but I've changed my mind over the years. Not that it will have any effect. Neither Taiwan nor Tibet were ever "part of China". It's too late for Tibet, though.
Quote:
Keep our military strong so it can continue to defend the free world.

You mean defend our corporate interests.
Quote:
Coal will work.

It will work to hammer the last nails into the coffin which will house what was once referred to as our "way of life".
hightor

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 09:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
There's a good reason they don't like Democrats. All talk and no delivery of the goods.

Kind of hard to deliver the goods on time when the Republicans can so easily set up roadblocks.
edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 12:05 pm
@hightor,
For thirty years it has been "the Republicans." Even when Obama had a supermajority. Sooner or later they've got to quit hiding.
roger

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 01:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What it says to me is, people did not want Biden or Democrats. They just wanted to be rid of Trump. There's a good reason they don't like Democrats. All talk and no delivery of the goods.

That's me you're describing.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
For thirty years it has been "the Republicans."

I'm talking about right now, and "the Republicans" I'm talking about are very different from "the Republicans" of thirty years ago.
Quote:
Even when Obama had a supermajority.

Yup, it was disheartening to say the least. Representatives elected from swing districts are not usually willing to sacrifice their seats. That's the system we have. And that's why change tends to be incremental.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 01:58 pm
I don't mean now and thirty years ago. I mean the entire thirty years.
edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 02:06 pm
Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her leadership team were struggling Friday afternoon to find consensus among House Democrats on an eleventh-hour push to extend the federal eviction moratorium, with frustrations mounting across the caucus.

After hours of vote counting on a bill to extend the ban before it lapses Saturday, top Democrats began floating an alternative that they hoped would pick up votes from the moderate wing of their caucus — an extension of just over three months, rather than six months – on what is likely to be the House’s final task before departing for its lengthy August recess.

Several moderates, meanwhile, have told leadership they are prepared to leave town and not proxy-vote amid the gridlock, complicating the math on the floor and potentially preventing a floor vote altogether.

The bill’s supporters on both the Hill and at the White House stepped up their pressure campaign as anger was beginning to erupt within the caucus. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge on Friday joined senior House members in making calls to some of the Democratic holdouts, according to multiple people familiar with the conversations.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 03:33 pm
They talked up black lives matter until the election was over. Then they kept up a campaign of flattery while instead of making reforms gave lots more money to the police. The flattery goes on still. No sign of change. The flattery extends to making human interest stories on the news be about black people and you rarely see a commercial without at least one black person. What's that got to do with the Democrats, the last two points? It's a concerted effort. Middle leaning media works with the Democrats as tenaciously as the right with conservatives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 03:49 pm

TheHill.com
Democrats fall short of votes for extending eviction ban
BY CRISTINA MARCOS,SCOTT WONG AND MIKE LILLIS - 07/30/21 04:00 PM EDT 868
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter

Just In...
Climate change and COVID-19: Understanding existential threats
OPINION
— 14M 28S AGO
Biden rolls dice by getting more aggressive on vaccines
ADMINISTRATION
— 18M 19S AGO
Equilibrium/ Sustainability — Presented by NextEra Energy — Greenland lost enough ice Tuesday to flood Florida
EQUILIBRIUM/SUSTAINABILITY
— 21M 43S AGO
Biden administration approves $3.4B helicopter sale to Israel
DEFENSE
— 23M 22S AGO
House Democratic leaders failed to round up enough votes Friday to pass legislation extending the federal ban on evictions just two days before it is set to expire.

Two Democratic lawmakers said that a possible House floor vote on Friday would ultimately be scrapped after leadership struggled all day to round up enough support.

“We don’t have the votes,” a Democratic aide said.

But when Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was asked if she had pulled the bill, she said, “No.”

Democrats were caught by surprise the day before when President Biden urged Congress to extend the eviction ban, which has been in place since September.

Biden insisted that his administration no longer has the authority to unilaterally extend the moratorium due to a Supreme Court ruling last month.

That left House Democratic leaders scrambling to round up enough votes in their own caucus, given the widespread opposition from Republicans to extending the moratorium again.

Even if House Democrats had passed a bill, it would have all but certainly failed in the Senate due to widespread opposition from Republicans.

Pelosi and her team initially pushed for an extension that would last until Dec. 31.

But the vote count fell far short amid resistance from moderates and housing industry groups.

House Democrats can currently only afford three defections and still pass bills on their own without any support from Republicans. Democratic sources said Friday they were short by more than a dozen votes, which proved to be insurmountable despite more than a day of persuasion attempts by party leaders.

Pelosi later proposed a compromise of only extending the eviction ban to Oct. 18, in part to appease centrists who preferred ending the moratorium by the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30. The Oct. 18 date would also coincide with the end of the public health emergency declaration issued by the Biden administration.

Lawmakers expressed frustration that the $46.5 billion in rental aid allocated by Congress by pandemic relief measures is still largely unspent, with only $3 billion distributed to renters by state and local governments so far.

But Democrats pushing to extend the moratorium argued that renters shouldn’t be evicted in the meantime as a result of bureaucratic failures.

“As we do so, we urge states and localities to expeditiously distribute the money that Congress has allocated to renters in need,” Pelosi wrote in a letter to colleagues. “Families must not pay the price for that.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 03:57 pm
Bruce Ellison has obtained documents indicating that “lethal force” could be deployed to suppress Indigenous activists resisting pipelines.
https://lakotalaw.org/news/2021-07-28/hr-1374?fbclid=IwAR2zl5zIIsC_h6r6plGpFsupy7CDZbjmz4XPNHSk69a_dFK14Gy6k60b7Qc
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 30 Jul, 2021 10:50 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I used to support unification with China but I've changed my mind over the years.

China will launch nuclear weapons against American cities in retaliation for us helping Taiwan to become independent.

In the interest of avoiding nuclear war, I'm ok with a policy of "eventual reunification one day in the distant future".

hightor wrote:
Neither Taiwan nor Tibet were ever "part of China".

Same with that Muslim province where China is actively committing genocide against the Uighurs.

hightor wrote:
It's too late for Tibet, though.

If China ever launches nuclear weapons against us or our allies, I think that in addition to massively nuking them back, we should help Tibet and that Muslim Uighur province attain independence.

We should do this only in retaliation for their first use of nuclear weapons against us or our allies though.

I also think we should make this policy clear in order to deter China from using their nuclear weapons against us or our allies.

hightor wrote:
You mean defend our corporate interests.

No, I mean defend global democracy.

But it is in the interest of most corporations that we live in a world full of friendly democracies instead of living in a world where most countries are hostile to democracy.

hightor wrote:
It will work to hammer the last nails into the coffin which will house what was once referred to as our "way of life".

I'm in favor of nuclear power, particularly sodium-cooled reactors.

Perhaps we could use a different coolant in the intermediate loop though, in order to improve safety.
hightor

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 03:35 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I don't mean now and thirty years ago. I mean the entire thirty years.

Why just thirty years then?
edgarblythe

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 06:27 am
@hightor,
That's an arbitrary number, because everything has its origins way beyond that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 06:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
China will launch nuclear weapons against American cities in retaliation for us helping Taiwan to become independent.

Nonsense as they are no more likely to commit mass suicide then we are.
edgarblythe

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 12:42 pm

john brown
@resedajohn
·
15h
With the eviction moratorium coming to an end, take it from a tenant organizer, know that eviction is a process with notices and time periods and court filings. Evictions take time and there's always a defense. Don't self-evict and leave bc LL says. Fight it.
oralloy

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 03:21 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Nonsense as they are no more likely to commit mass suicide then we are.

You are ignorant of Chinese views on this matter. They will fight a nuclear war to prevent Taiwanese independence.

And for that matter, the United States is willing to launch nuclear weapons at Chinese cities in order to prevent Taiwan from being conquered.

The way to avoid nuclear war is for everyone to agree to "eventual" reunification sometime in the distant future.
Mame

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 04:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The way to avoid nuclear war is for everyone to agree to "eventual" reunification sometime in the distant future.

Sure, like they held to the Hong Kong agreement.
BillRM

Sat 31 Jul, 2021 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
Once more nonsense neither side is going to destruct them self over Taiwanese by going nuclear.