The Ashes Test 2005

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:00 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
John Howard is at Lords.

I will always remember the way he presented the Rugby World Cup to the victorious England side...virtually threw it at Martin Johnson.

I remember that well. It wasn't well received here. But you'll have to forgive me...I despise the little weasel. Oh and it was on our ABC News (think BBC - is it BBC1?) that he was telling a journalist at a doorstop outside a hospital in London that he couldn't fly to German to visit the Australians who were seriously injured in their bike training.....and lo and behold the little twerp turns up at the Test. I'm going to stop typing right now.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:05 am
Well he seems to be enjoying himself at Lords, smiling and drinking white wine, chatting to John Major in the members gallery.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:12 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Well he seems to be enjoying himself at Lords, smiling and drinking white wine, chatting to John Major in the members gallery.

Saw that on the news this evening. My contempt for him knows no depths. I shall leave it at that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:25 am
yes agree, looking a politicians enjoying themselves ruins the game.

Blowers just described cloud cover and an fly that came into the commentary box

So thats meteorology and entomology (forgot that discipline).

Also just described the UPTEENTH DROPPED ENGLISH CATCH

"we must not be too desparaging about the England fielding, but really it has been most inglorious today"

At last....catch held 384 all out
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:33 am
I need to work out why discussing cricket is much more interesting than actually watching it.

So, we shall see what happens now. The target is laid out. The time is there. I think I'm beginnig to understand the metaphysical nature of cricket after all these years. I hope it doesn't ruin my love of footy Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:33 am
I need to work out why discussing cricket is much more interesting than actually watching it.

So, we shall see what happens now. The target is laid out. The time is there. I think I'm beginnig to understand the metaphysical nature of cricket after all these years. I hope it doesn't ruin my love of footy Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
3 -0

making progress Wink

great tension around the ground.

every run applauded

side discussion on relative humidity affecting aerodyamics of ball (or not at the moment)

Footy? English premier league or Aussie ?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
Quote:
Footy? English premier league or Aussie ?

I am very fond of Arsenal for many reasons (one of my great uncles played for them) but my football love is Australian Rules but not the national hyper-league we have here but my local football league.

"Every run applauded"

I trust the Australians - players and fans - will be gracious as I'm absolutely sure they can be.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:09 am
Arsenal eh?

(think you may have said that elsewhere)

I think Wenger is the best in the game.

cricket....Speech therapy time "Treskothic and Strauss difficult for those with a lisp"

target now 411 ....no worries
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 02:12 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
target now 411 ....no worries

No worries - he sez! Razz

Here I am - probably our only resident Oz cricket tragic - and I crashed out last night - after a dinner with someone who doesn't watch the cricket - even though he has cable! -..... (how teddibly un-Australian!)
Listened to radio broadcast (and C M-J) as I dozed off - but didn't surface again until this 6am - how'd we go overnight - England was just coming in to bat when I got home - and had just managed to get off the mark when I folded!

Very illuminating discussion, gents!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
Jeez - 5 for 156 - and it looks like England will have to invoke their only saving god - the weather! They're bringing on the rain!

I see Pigeon gave his bunnies a rest - all 2nd innings wickets by Warne and Lee

And the Wallabies got beaten by the Sprinkboks in Sefrica! Sad
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
I heard about the weather thing margo they're talking a draw? And the Wallabies - not a good day at all. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:12 am
I like this headline in the Telwgraph :wink:

Brutal Australia on the march

(Which doesn't mean, of course, that I understand one word of the article - hopefully, Steve will try to explain it again in a fortnight Laughing )
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 04:02 am
It's all in revenge for Bodyline Walter - in cricket there is some sort of shared memory that crosses generations. England v Australia is the Commonwealth equivalent of the Hatfields and the McCoys Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:15 am
I see. So cricket is a kind of sport ...
<running fast away,two wickets in lead, or whatever Laughing >
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 06:00 am
The Australians played magnificently. England were comprehensively beaten.

Thats another aspect of the game, learning how to lose with good grace and win with magnanimity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:03 am
But that was July

Now its September

and GAME ON

Big time!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Barmy Army......Barmy Army......Barmy Army.....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:22 am
Now now old bean, steady on, the game doesnt start till thursday
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
yes - but he's already barmy!

Is that what they're saying - could never work it out!

Couple of late nights / early mornings to come! A full day's play finishes here at 4am!

I have just purchased bloody expensive tickets to day 2 (I think) of the Australia vs Rest of World test, next month!

Bloody Aussies better pick up their act!
0 Replies