Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:38 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

the nyt has been the newspapper of recoird for a century because they deal in facts. editoriAL OPINION IS is clearly opinion and is noted as such. fox, newsmax and oan were founded to present ONLY EXTREME RIGHT WING opinion as if it were fact, and no distinctkon is made. as aparently were you

Way to go, MJ. Beautifully said.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:39 am
@oralloy,
you convenitently ignore and forget that that is precisely what the RIGHT has made their major stock in trade since at least the days of joe mccarthy they have the patent on claimingthe left is making an assault on american democracy, when it is patently clear that rump, to look at just the most recent example,did his damnedest to destroy anyhone who disagreed with him and baselssly spent six weeks trying to disenfranchise yhe 80 million people who trpudiated him. that's where the assault on democracy is.. it
's the right, not the left..
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:46 am
@MontereyJack,
That's the same nonsense that the left always says about everyone who opposes them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:47 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
the nyt has been the newspapper of record for a century because they deal in facts.

They are not the newspaper of record. They do not deal in facts. They only spout leftist propaganda.

MontereyJack wrote:
fox, newsmax and oan were founded to present ONLY EXTREME RIGHT WING opinion as if it were fact, and no distincton is made.

Fox does make such a distinction.

I have not heard much about the others, but since you are inaccurate about NYT and Fox, it is a reasonable assumption that you are also inaccurate about the others too.

MontereyJack wrote:
as apparently were you

Note your inability to point out any cases of me confusing fact with opinion.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 10:23 am
@oralloy,
You are confusing your opinions about fox and the nyt with fact about fox and the nyt. fox is unabashedly propagandistic, by intent. the nyt is not.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 10:30 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You are confusing your opinions about fox and the nyt with fact about fox and the nyt.

No I'm not.

MontereyJack wrote:
fox is unabashedly propagandistic, by intent.

They also keep their opinion shows separate from their hard news.

MontereyJack wrote:
the nyt is not.

Sure they are. They are among the worst fake news out there.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 01:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

the nyt has been the newspapper of recoird for a century because they deal in facts. editoriAL OPINION IS is clearly opinion and is noted as such. fox, newsmax and oan were founded to present ONLY EXTREME RIGHT WING opinion as if it were fact, and no distinctkon is made. as aparently were you

Way to go, MJ. Beautifully said.

To add to that, the Washington Post has been the Opinion newspaper of the United States. It was patently rightwing; but, it has consistently and realistically dealt with facts and the truth (something FOX even agrees it won't do). I had a number of times where I just knew the Post was wrong only to have to agree with it in the end. I honestly do not know what has happened to them?
snood

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 02:29 pm
@BillW,
When was the WP “right wing”? You sure you’re not talking about the Washington Times?
roger

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 02:56 pm
@BillW,

To add to that, the Washington Post has been the Opinion newspaper of the United States. It was patently rightwing; but, it has consistently and realistically dealt with facts and the truth (something FOX even agrees it won't do). I had a number of times where I just knew the Post was wrong only to have to agree with it in the end. I honestly do not know what has happened to them?

[/quote]It was bought out by that guy that owns Facebook. No more rightwing.
BillW

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 03:07 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

When was the WP “right wing”? You sure you’re not talking about the Washington Times?

You just pinpointed one of my bias's. The WP was antiClinton ; especially in regard to the "White Water". Then they were pro Bush Jr; especially in regards to the Iraqi Invasion. So, I carry that bias all this time! Gotta deal with that. Thanks!

The Washington Times has been a bit of a rag during its publication. The real all rightwing Editorial paper - Wall Street Journal!
BillW

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 03:13 pm
@roger,
Yeah Roger, Besos - the half billion dollar yacht owner. With the internet the way it is today and having to pay to read newspapers, I have just ignored the Washington Post - probably based on my "bias".
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 05:11 pm
@BillW,
The WSJ has not been very honest in their editorial pages for over 40+ years either:
Quote:
Two summaries published in 1995 by the progressive blog Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, and in 1996 by the Columbia Journalism Review[70] criticized the Journal's editorial page for inaccuracy during the 1980s and 1990s.

In July 2020, more than 280 Journal journalists and Dow Jones staff members wrote a letter to new publisher Almar Latour to criticize the opinion pages' "lack of fact-checking and transparency, and its apparent disregard for evidence", adding that "opinion articles often make assertions that are contradicted by WSJ reporting."[71][72] The editorial board responded that its opinion pages "won't wilt under cancel-culture pressure" and that the objective of the editorial content is to be independent of the Journal's news content and offer alternative views to "the uniform progressive views that dominate nearly all of today's media."[73] The board's response did not address issues regarding fact-checking that had been raised in the letter.[74]
-wiki

Now that it is owned by Murdock and has a regular show on FOX, I am sure lying is part of its repertoire. Kinda makes it look like a person has nowhere to go for an honest conservative discussion.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 05:29 pm
As one might expect, I don't have much confidence in our media anymore. I just pick through it and sometimes find good stuff. Usually not.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 05:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me either. I still use PBS, but now after the 2020 election I'm keeping my eye out for a news source that is less bad.
goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 08:09 pm
@BillW,
The Journal once teamed up with CNBC-which is part of NBC-to produce business shows together; it even had a show using the name of the Wall Street Journal. Some former writers of the Journal joined CNBC after Murdoch snapped it up. Sometimes you still find journalists at the Journal appearing on CNBC or even MSNBC right now, even though both channels have been arch-rivals of Fox's business channel and Fox News.

Not every writer at the Journal is a conservative; its columnists are mostly conservatives. And there are no grounds to think that the Journal pines for America to embrace far-right activism. In comparison, some journalists and contributors at CNN are not squeamish about drumming up for far-left activism. One of the contributors supportive of Palestine reportedly said “we need Hilter."

Some conservative writers also write for the Times or the Post, say, Max Boot and Bret L. Stephens, both of whom used to work for the Journal. Bill Kristol, David Frum, and David Brooks also write for liberal newspapers. George F. Will still writes for the Post. The Journal also has liberal journalists; they just don't write for its its Opinion page. Betsy Morris returned to the Journal from Fortune magazine years ago; she now covers tech industry. Her husband happens to be John Helyar, who wrote Barbarians at the Gate with Bryan Burrough. They used to write for the Journal. Bryan Burrough still writes for Vanity Fair , so he can't be a conservative writer, huh?

The New Yorker's Jane Mayer also wrote for the Journal back to the 90s.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 08:23 pm
@oralloy,
I listen to NPR in fits and starts.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 08:32 pm
Some journalists and contributors at CNN are not squeamish about drumming up support for far-left activism.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 08:36 pm
The Post is still cagey about publishing articles about its owner, say his trysts with other women. Well, I still adore Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates even they appear to be "randy" men just like us.

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 08:38 pm
A man is supposed to be loyal to his wife after getting hitched.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 10:26 pm
Adeel Raja, a Pakistan-based freelancer for CNN, tweeted"the world today needs a Hilter."

CNN Spokesperson Matt Dornic just announced that "Adeel Raja will not be working with CNN again in any capacity.”
0 Replies