Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:46 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
The message I got from the article is:

Republican dictatorship system would be struggling desperately to come into existence.
The next presidential election will be a competition of "Republican Dictatorship vs. American Democracy."

That's a reasonable summary of what the article claims.

But don't take the claims too seriously. The left always deludes themselves with nonsense like that.

The left will always describe people who disagree with them as "a menace out to destroy the world" or some such nonsense.

Each election will always be "a critical election upon which the fate of the world hangs".

If you took a time machine back 50 years ago, you'd be able to see the left saying the very same things back then as well.
goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 10:14 am
@hightor,
I don't read the New York Times like you. I still wince at its decision to sack a respectable editor like James Bennet. I remember another former writer of the Times writing an article decrying cancel culture and some black journalists' heinous treatment of her after she looked askance at some views voiced by BLM supporters. Livid, she resigned.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 10:25 am
What I'm saying is both Fox News and the Times publish slanted stories with a view to vilipending or slating each other. Fox News gets a bang out of torching the Democratic Party, whereas the Times and the Post get kick out of taking a poke at the Republican Party.

Walter Lippmann would have agreed that there’s no such thing as unbiased reporting.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 10:48 am
The problem with so-called “honest” or “unbiased” reporting is that some people suppose that “the Earth is essentially round”…and “the Earth is flat” should be given equal treatment in the media.

There is a slant to life and to reality. Some of the media report it…and some significantly distort it.

The New York Times and Washington Post, for the most part “report” the truth. Fox is a piece of **** distorting reality to fit an agenda devised by and aimed toward the scum of this planet.

But, I acknowledge I may be commenting with a trifle prejudice.
snood

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The problem with so-called “honest” or “unbiased” reporting is that some people suppose that “the Earth is essentially round”…and “the Earth is flat” should be given equal treatment in the media.

There is a slant to life and to reality. Some of the media report it…and some significantly distort it.

The New York Times and Washington Post, for the most part “report” the truth. Fox is a piece of **** distorting reality to fit an agenda devised by and aimed toward the scum of this planet.

You may be commenting with a tad of prejudice, but that doesn’t make Fox any less a piece of **** propaganda machine, distorting the news to feed the scum of the earth.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 12:49 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You may be commenting with a tad of prejudice, but that doesn’t make Fox any less a piece of **** propaganda machine, distorting the news to feed the scum of the earth.

Well said, Snood. And thanks for the laugh. Very Happy

The notion some of these guys have that there is equivalence between what The New York Times and Washington Post do regarding reporting...and what FOX does...is bizarre.

FOX is an abomination...and I hope they never find out just how abominable, because for some of these people to finally learn how dangerous and destructive FOX is...FOX will have destroyed the Great Experiment. The Republic will be no more.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 02:45 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

You can translate with the computer🤔👏👍

I'm old school. Computers don't always catch nuance.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 03:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Progressives temper tantrums are pretty funny.

Fox News is just as reliable as the New York Times.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 03:42 pm
@oralloy,
no it is not. propaganda is not news.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 03:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
no it is not.

Progressive dislike for reality does not make it any less true.

MontereyJack wrote:
propaganda is not news.

That's why no one believes the New York Times.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 07:43 pm
@oralloy,
Fox spent six weeks aiding and abetting trump's baseless false claims that the election was rigged. fox was forced to retract its baseless claims that election mCHINERY WAS RIGGED. FOX IS PROPAGANDA, NOT NEWS, as are newsmax and oan.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 08:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Nope. New York Times is propaganda.
goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 08:45 pm
@oralloy,
You really think they care about quality journalism? In my book, they eat up 1619 Project simply because Nikole Hannah-Jones-who's black- tries her utmost to assign blame to white people when it comes to talking about slavery-some white liberals also call it white guilt. Yet that doesn't mean such white liberals also set great store by the suggestion that black people have a right to create what they call Black America in their hearts; they just have to pretend they subscribe to this white guilt theory publicly in order not to be singled out by BLM supporters. That goes a long way towards explaining why you have some doughty white journalists making dissenting remarks privately or when they are not on TV . And you just can't yap at such antics since present-day journalism has been politicalised; you get fired for refusing to make smarmy comments.

Some black thinkers don't mind taking a dig at critical race theory and white guilt theory, not least because they just want to find the truth. They also try to tell their black fellows that it would be wrong to use white guilt theory to rationalize their hatred against Asian Americans, er, unless we are talking about the Arabs living in the Middle East. You know much has been written about how some well-to-do Arabs bought and sold African slaves since inception. Do Nikole Hannah-Jones , Omar, and Tlaib have the guts to call out their Muslim brothers living in the Middle East?

Please never forgot what happened to South Africa. The transfer of power to blacks there only immiserated its own people, blighted by rampant corruption and rebarbative power-grabs. That's why it seems to be an egregious idea for black journalists like Nikole Hannah-Jones and Ta-Nehisi Coates to try to scapegoat white people when their black fellows don't want to abjure violence in both America and Africa. Rather than hugging free-market principles, they choose a planned economy. Rather than building up a welfare state, they choose a social system ruled by nepotism. Rather than calling on its people to prize democratic norms, they suborn their leaders and brook no protest of them.

So it's all non-black people's fault?

BillW

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 08:52 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

BillW wrote:

You can translate with the computer🤔👏👍

I'm old school. Computers don't always catch nuance.

This is a backup to your reply. It is as simple as I wrote in today's world. Of course nuance is important depending upon which way it is leaning.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:09 pm
@oralloy,
I think we would be wise to comprehend the fact that present-day journalism is akin to propaganda in America or other nations. Only some brave souls seem willing to lay bare the ravages of economic inequity and the tribulations of the needy if they don't have to worry about being cajoled and bludgeoned into writing something dripping with partisanship.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:15 pm
St. John’s professor allegedly fired for reading racial slur from Mark Twain book

By Dana Kennedy

"In a twist worthy of Mark Twain himself, a St. John’s University professor has been fired for reading a passage containing the N-word from Twain’s anti-slavery novel "Pudd’nhead Wilson" in her "Literature of Satire" class.

Hannah Berliner Fischthal, an adjunct instructor at the Catholic college in Queens for 20 years, uttered the N-word once during a remote class Feb. 10 — after she first explained to students the context of the word and said she hoped it would not offend anyone.

"Mark Twain was one of the first American writers to use actual dialect," Fischthal said. "His use of the ‘N-word’ is used only in dialogues as it could have actually been spoken in the south before the civil war, when the story takes place."

The day after the class, however, she got an email from a student who said she had to "abruptly" leave the call because of Fischthal’s use of an "inappropriate slur."

"It was unnecessary and very painful to hear," the student wrote in the email seen by The Post.

Fischthal apologized to the student in an email and set up a private discussion online about the issue that she titled "Insensitive Language."

"I apologize if I made anyone uncomfortable in the class by using a slur when quoting from and discussing the text," Fischthal wrote. "Please do share your thoughts."

Six students responded, including the initial complainant. Two defended Fischthal and the rest said the N-word should not have been used. Fischthal also invited students to discuss the controversy during the next class but she said the N-word was not used by anyone during that discussion.

"Pudd’nhead Wilson," published in 1894, is one of Twain’s lesser-known novels. It focuses on the absurdity and tragedy of racism and slavery. The plot turns on a light-skinned slave named Roxy who decides to switch her light-skinned baby boy with her master’s baby boy shortly after birth in order to save her child from being "sold down the river" and to ensure him a life of wealth and white privilege.

Roxy’s biological son, however, grows up to be a spoiled monster while the master’s biological son grows up as a humble man of character. The story turns into a murder mystery at the end when Roxy’s biological son commits a vicious crime and his real identity is revealed.

"It satirizes the entire evil institution of slavery," Fischthal told the Post. "The point of this novel was that there is no inherent difference between Blacks and Whites. Clothes and education are what distinguishes people. Both the boys in the story look exactly the same, even though one is by law a slave, and the other one is a privileged White boy."

Fischthal said she was unaware of how racial politics have exploded at universities around the country but said she was "horrified" by the case of another SJU adjunct instructor, Richard Taylor. Taylor was fired earlier this year when students complained that he was racist because of questions he posed during a lesson involving slavery.

"I never thought that would happen to me," said Fischthal, who is the daughter of Holocaust survivors. "I’m one of the last people who should be accused of racism. I know where it leads and I know where it ends. In every class I teach the evils of stereotyping."

But Fischthal’s apologies and her efforts to address the issue ultimately did not help.

On March 3 she was called into a meeting with HR about her use of the N-word in class, the subsequent discussion of it and a comment she allegedly made about a Black student’s hair. Fischthal said she only made a remark about a student’s head being wrapped up during class and it had nothing to do with her hair.

She said she was also criticized for mentioning her family’s experience in the Holocaust during class.

On March 5 she was suspended pending an investigation she had violated the university’s policy against bias. On April 29 she was fired.

Fischthal said she always received good performance reviews from both her bosses and students.

Attorneys for FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) sent the Rev. Brian J. Shanley, SJU president, a letter late Friday calling on him to reinstate Fischthal.

"Quoting (Mark Twain’s) work in a class on satire falls squarely within the protection afforded by academic freedom, which gives faculty members the breathing room to determine whether — and how — to discuss material students might find offensive," the FIRE letter read.

When contacted by The Post, Brian Browne, a spokesman for St. John’s, said that "if your assertion is that she was fired for reading aloud from a Mark Twain novel, that is incorrect." He refused to elaborate, saying the university does not comment on personnel matters."

0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:17 pm
Mark Twain would have been bemused
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:23 pm
I hasten to add that the history of black slavery is not fictional.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sat 15 May, 2021 09:24 pm
@goldberg,
Please never forget what happened to South Africa.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 16 May, 2021 09:08 am
@oralloy,
the nyt has been the newspapper of recoird for a century because they deal in facts. editoriAL OPINION IS is clearly opinion and is noted as such. fox, newsmax and oan were founded to present ONLY EXTREME RIGHT WING opinion as if it were fact, and no distinctkon is made. as aparently were you