Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:21 am
@izzythepush,
I think we’ll leave it to the Palestinians to define it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:26 am
If the Boers had been subject to the same amount of discrimination and persecution over the last two thousand years as the Jews, and antiboerism was a thing, South Africa would still be an apartheid state.

When antisemitic lies and slurs are used against Israel they can quite rightly point out that such (all) criticism is motivated by hatred and bigotry.

Netanyahu has weaponised antisemitism, he's good friends with antisemite Victor Orban.

Antisemitsm deflects criticism of Israel and keeps the diaspora subdued.

Those of us who care for the Palestinians will have no truck with it.

Israeli organisations like B'Tselem and Haaretz have been at the forefront of exposing war crimes in Gaza and the West Bank.

Whenever you spout protocol of zion bollocks you're making Netanyahu's case for him.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Your view is insulting to other innocent murder victims, exterminated intentionally at the whim of evil regimes.

Each human soul is equal in value.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:31 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Your view is insulting to other innocent murder victims
I don't equal the Holocaust to victims of murder.

If you or these victims are offended by this, read a history book
izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:37 am
@Lash,
I think in order to avoid confusion when I use the term antisemitism I am talking about prejudice against Jewish people.

I know the term semite can refer to all people in the Magreb/ME, however, the term antisemite is only used regarding prejudice against Jewish people.

Islamophobia is a more accurate term to describe discrimination against the other people living there even though they're not all Muslims.

And if we both stick to this rule you can avoid your instinct to go off on point scoring tangents and stick to what is being discussed.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
“Whenever you spout protocol of zion bollocks you're making Netanyahu's case for him.”

I struggled with concerns like this for years, choosing not to even entertain increasing damning evidence about Israel. I can’t fault you for retreating to this stance.

You’ve been intentionally conditioned to believe this.
Very strong medicine.

You’ll begin to see it’s a cynical cover for impunity for the most vile crimes.
In your own time.

I’m not here to belabor this because I remember how uncomfortable I was hearing things like this—so, I’ll stop this line of conversation if people move on from it.

Certainly, if you’re seeing the pictures and following a mix of what’s actually being said and done by our governments in addition to actual independent journalists or office holders who will not bow to the pressure to cover up facts, you’ll find your own way to reality.

For anyone wandering by here, independent people I suggest are:

Max Blumenthal
Aaron Mate
Gabor Mate (a Holocaust survivor)
Glenn Greenwald
Garland Nixon
John Mearsheimer
Alexander Mercouris
Jeffery Sachs
Briahna Joy Gray
Sabrina Salvati

There are so many more.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
I do not agree with the entity that attempted to steal this word from accurate use and employ it as a cover for the crimes of one group.

So, I’ll continue to use the word accurately.
I hope you’ll consider in your time refusing to comply with this dirty bit of antisemitic propaganda.😐

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Got to disagree with your take, bobsal.

Practically speaking, it's pretty difficult to imagine those four big states uniting on anything.

I agree that the Texas schoolbook issue is a problem but maintaining the undemocratic E.C. seems like a particularly inefficient method of improving the nation's textbooks.

The E.C. gives us elections where 6 or 7 "battleground" states are the only ones that matter and Democratic voters who live in solid Red states and Republicans who live in equally solid Blue states know that their presidential ballot is effectively worthless. It's just another aspect of constitutional obsolescence, provisions written for another era, when the country was in its infancy.

Izzy's right. One (hu)man, one vote.

Agree with you.

The thought that states (areas of land arbitrarily defined) deserve the kinds of representation they get in the EC (and the Senate)...is an absurdity. In a democracy, the people should have the say.

The system MAY have made sense when the country was first deciding whether to be one country or several...but it makes no sense now.

Ain't gonna be changed anytime soon, though.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don’t equate the systematic, 75 year long violent apartheid, rape pogroms, child sniping, mass kidnapping and torture—now punctuated by an outright siege of starvation and bunker busting bombs on refugee tents anything short of a holocaust of Palestinians by Israelis.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:03 am
Going to walk away for a bit.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 08:29 am
Winner of the week's No ****, Sherlock! award
Quote:
Gretchen Carlson@GretchenCarlson
14h
Now Bret Baier says “his mistake” he ran wrong Trump “enemy from within” clip during interview w/ Harris. Newsflash: When wrong clips run (which happens) hosts can easily say “Sorry that was the wrong clip”. He or his producers would have known it was the wrong one right then.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 08:38 am
Republicans - the free speech party.
Quote:
Judge Orders DeSantis Administration to Stop Threats Over Abortion-Rights Ad

The administration of Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida must stop threatening television stations with criminal prosecution for airing a political ad in favor of enshrining abortion rights in the state’s Constitution, a federal judge ordered on Thursday.

Judge Mark E. Walker of the Federal District Court in Tallahassee ruled in a temporary restraining order that the threats by the Florida Department of Health to stations across the state likely amounted to “unconstitutional coercion” and “viewpoint discrimination.”

“The government cannot excuse its indirect censorship of political speech simply by declaring the disfavored speech is ‘false,’” Judge Walker, who has frequently ruled against the administration, wrote in his 17-page order. “To keep it simple for the state of Florida: it’s the First Amendment, stupid.”..
. more here - NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 08:50 am
Quote:
Marc E. Elias@marceelias
13h
Donald Trump thrives off of grievance. Republicans are filing lawsuits knowing they will lose the overwhelming majority in order to give Trump an excuse to lie to his followers about later when he is defeated.

We'll have to wait and see what voters decide, of course, but Elias is surely correct that Republicans (and their supporters like Musk and Thiel) are planning to cause mass chaos post-election both in the courts and via false claims of voter fraud spread across right wing media. This could go very badly.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 08:54 am
Quote:
Brian Stelter@brianstelter
2h
Replying to @brianstelter
Doocy: Your material at the Al Smith dinner "was real funny, who helped you with it?" Trump: "I had a lot of people helping, a lot of people, a couple people from Fox – actually, I shouldn't say that, but they wrote some jokes. For the most part, I didn't like any of them."
0 Replies