Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 12:52 pm
Trump today on the Don Bongino show (I just watched the clip).
Quote:
"I was so amazed that Harvey Weinstein got schlongged, he got hit as hard as you can get hit. Because he was sort of king of the woke, right? And yet he got hit."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 02:50 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Izzy's right. One (hu)man, one vote.

I'm sorry, but this gives the impression I wrote one man one vote.

I even had to check what I'd written.

I didn't write that. I wrote one person one vote, and for the life of me I don't know why you would misrepresent me like that.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 03:01 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Going to walk away for a bit.

Good.

Probably taking the time off to dig up some new conspiracies. I've got to admit, blaming the assassination of JFK on "Zionists" (i.e. Jews) is so preposterous as to make me wonder anew about the poster's grip on reality. Really reprehensible behavior. But that's what we've come to expect from that veritable source of rumors, lies, and disinformation.

“Zionist advocates”

Why lie?
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
How casually you condemn a huge region of people.
Racism and sexism are closely related to this ability to widely stereotype such huge groups of people.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 04:09 pm
@Lash,
Well yes, those people voted for Trump, and Bush.

They're the descendents of slave owning fascists.

What's not to hate?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 04:21 pm
@izzythepush,
You know me, always on the side of the oppressed.

And in the Deep South the oppressed are black and the oppressors are white.

Nobody over here likes the American South. The voice alone is so grating.

Lyndsey Graham should be hung drawn and quartered for crimes against the language of Shakespeare.

And I really mean that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 04:57 pm
What actions by Netanyahu would Trump support? This is from today in Detroit.
Quote:
Mehdi Hasan@mehdirhasan
1h
For anyone who doubts Trump will be even worse than Biden is on Gaza, here's Trump saying Netanyahu "is doing a good job, Biden is trying to hold him back... and probably should be doing the opposite. I'm glad that Bibi decided to do what he had to do."
izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 05:50 pm
@blatham,
Biden has kicked it into the long grass.

Any real decision won't be made until after the election.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Everyone in England is a descendant of slave-owning fascists.

What’s not to hate?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:54 pm
@Lash,
Put a freaking sock in it. You seem manic.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:56 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

How casually you condemn a huge region of people.
Racism and sexism are closely related to this ability to widely stereotype such huge groups of people.

This describes you to a tee. You little Trumpster, you. I
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 07:57 pm
@izzythepush,
One manifestation, one vote.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 08:10 pm
@izzythepush,
The US is not a homogenized country. We are a nation of different interests. Sometimes we need to avoid what Jefferson called "the dictatorship of the majority". Which has sometimes become a dictatorship of the plurality.

We could use a system more like a parliamentary system.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2024 11:53 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
There were 46,000 slave owners in Britain. in England most certainly less.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 03:29 am
@izzythepush,
It was sloppily written on my part. I meant to paraphrase your remark, because the original slogan was "one man on vote" (originally used by British trade unionist George Howell and it was the popular phrase used to describe the US Supreme Court's Reynolds vs Sims decision in 1964) and I wanted to highlight how things have changed but didn't mean to make it sound like your words – it was only tangentially related to your remark, which is why it wasn't enclosed in quotation marks. My apologies.
hightor

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 03:37 am
@Lash,
Quote:
“Zionist advocates”

Oh, glad to know that none of them were Jewish. That's just a transparent construction you use to guard yourself against accusations of blatant anti-Semitism. Next thing you'll say is, "Some of my best friends are Jews." So who were these unidentified Gentiles? Over the past sixty years I think I've read quite a few accounts purporting to reveal the "real reason" for the assassination (Don DeLillo's Libra is one of the best) but not once have I seen anyone claim to have discovered a "Zionist" plot or even one by "Zionist advocates". Citation?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 03:41 am
@Lash,
Quote:

What’s not to hate?

Oh, so there's a blood curse which applies to descendants generations removed? You're in a truly hateful frame of mind these days. You might think about stepping away from politics and getting back into permaculture. Lots of garden chores to do this time of year.
hightor

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 03:45 am
Quote:
The events of January 6, 2021, overshadowed those of January 5, 2021, but that day was crucially important in a different way: Georgia voters elected two Democrats, Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, to the U.S. Senate. Warnock and Ossoff brought the total of Democrats in the Senate to 48, and since two Independents—Angus King of Maine and Bernie Sanders of Vermont—caucus with the Democrats and because in an evenly split Senate the majority goes to the party in the White House, their election gave Democrats control of the Senate.

Without that majority, the Biden-Harris agenda that built the U.S. economy into what The Economist this week called “the envy of the world” would never have passed. There would have been no American Rescue Plan, no Bipartisan Infrastructure Act, no CHIPS and Science Act, no Safer Communities Act, no PACT Act, no Inflation Reduction Act.

In an era when Republicans refuse to vote for any Democratic measures no matter how popular they are, control of the Senate is vital. The Senate majority leader decides what measures can come to the floor for consideration, so a leader can shut out anything his party doesn’t like. The Senate also controls the confirmation of federal judges, including members of the Supreme Court.

During the Trump years, then–Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) stacked the courts with MAGA judges, some of whom are now so reliably handing down right-wing decisions that plaintiffs routinely “shop” for them to get the decisions they want. And with Trump’s three hand-picked extremists at the Supreme Court, challenging those decisions simply writes that extremism more fully into law.

As Trump continues to crumble—he canceled another appearance today, and in a statement almost certainly designed to leak, an advisor said he was “exhausted”—and as Democrats are favored to take the House, Republicans are waging a fierce battle to take control of the Senate.

They are starting with an advantage. There are 34 Senate seats on the ballot this year, and Democrats are defending 23 of them while Republicans are defending just 11. Republicans need to pick up one seat to control the Senate if Trump wins the White House, and two if Harris wins.

The McConnell-aligned Senate Leadership Fund PAC has, so far, spent more than $140 million in this year’s Senate races, with more than $136 million going to attack ads. In the four races that are most vulnerable for Democrats—Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin—the Senate Leadership Fund has spent $17.85 million (MT), $55.5 million (OH), $38.1 million (PA), and $23.6 million (WI).

In each of those four races, that money is bolstering extremely wealthy Republican challengers. In Montana, Republican Tim Sheehy, running against Senator Jon Tester, would be among the ten wealthiest senators if elected: his financial disclosures put his net worth at between $74 million and $260 million. Republican Bernie Moreno, who is challenging Senator Sherrod Brown in Ohio, has a net worth between $38 million and $172.7 million. In the Pennsylvania race, David McCormick (who actually appears to live in Connecticut) reported assets of $116 million to $290 million in 2022. In Wisconsin’s race, Republican Eric Hovde (who lived in an ocean-view mansion in Laguna Beach, California, until he decided to run for the Senate from Wisconsin) would also be one of the Senate’s richest members. His financial disclosures say his net worth is between $195.5 million and $564.4 million.

This is not a coincidence. Knowing that fundraising would be difficult this year with Trump steering funds from the Republican National Committee primarily to himself, Republican Party leaders actively recruited candidates who could pour their own money into their campaigns. By the end of June, Sheehy had put $10.7 million into his own race; Moreno had put in $4.5 million by mid-October. McCormick had loaned his campaign more than $4 million by the end of June; Hovde put in $8 million by the end of March.

This moment echoes the late nineteenth century, when wealthy businessmen sought a Senate seat as a capstone to their success, a perch from which they could protect the interests of other men like themselves. In that era it was relatively easy for a man like Nevada’s William Sharon to buy himself a Senate seat because the Constitution had established that state legislatures would elect their state’s senators. Determined to win a Senate seat to protect his railroad interests “regardless of expense,” Sharon bought a newspaper to flood the state capital with his own praise. The legislature gave him the seat in 1874.

By the 1880s, even the staunchly pro-business Chicago Tribune complained: “Behind every one of half of the portly and well dressed members of the Senate can be seen the outlines of some corporation interested in getting or preventing legislation.” In 1892 the newly formed Populist Party met in Omaha, Nebraska, “to restore the government of the Republic to the hands of ‘the plain people,’ with which class it originated.” They called for the people to bypass the corrupt legislatures and elect senators directly.

In 1900, William A. Clark of Montana provided the kick their proposal needed.

Clark had arrived at the newly opened gold fields in Montana Territory in 1863 and transferred the money he made as a mule trader into banking. He made a fortune repossessing mining properties when owners defaulted on their loans. He invested that fortune in smelters, railroads, a newspaper, and copper mining, becoming one of the state’s famous Copper Kings. In 1889 he was the president of the Montana constitutional convention, where he made sure that mine owners could run the state as they wished.

By 1890, Clark had his eyes on a Senate seat. He failed to get the support of the legislature in that year, and for the next decade he and his rival copper magnate Marcus Daly of the Anaconda Company poured vast sums of money into influencing the economy of the state, the location of the capital, and the state’s politics.

Clark finally won his election in 1899, but on the same day he presented his credentials to the Senate, his opponents filed a petition charging him with bribery. An extensive investigation revealed that Clark had bought his seat with bribes ranging from $240 to $100,000, equivalent to almost $4 million today. His representatives had paid debts, bought ranches, and even handed envelopes of cash to legislators. The investigation also showed that Daly had spent a fortune trying to block Clark’s election.

Montana politics, it seemed, had become a rich man’s game.

Aware that the Senate would vote to remove him from his seat, Clark resigned in May 1900. In January 1901 a new Montana legislature containing many of the same men Clark had paid off in 1899 elected him again to the same term from which he had been forced to resign. After an undistinguished term, he retired from the Senate in 1907.

Clark’s blatant purchase of a Senate seat added momentum to the demand for the direct election of senators, and in 1913 the Seventeenth Amendment to the Constitution established that the power to elect senators must rest in the hands of voters. That measure was supposed to make sure that wealth could not buy a Senate seat.

That the ability to self-fund a campaign is once again a key factor in winning a Senate seat from Montana—and Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin—seems to be history repeating.

hcr
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 07:11 am
@Lash,
We didn't start a war to keep slavery, it was stopped by act of parliament.

We stopped in 1834, (1838 in areas controlled by East India Company,) which is 30plus years before it ended in the US.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2024 07:12 am
@hightor,
Fair enough.
0 Replies