Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 05:59 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Lash wrote:
He just won the election.
Was my almost first thought
november elections do not get decided in july.

a lot can (and will) happen between now and then...
Real Music

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 06:58 pm
@Region Philbis,
1. I agree that elections do not get decided in July.

2. I would also add that even if the election did occur right now in July, that this incident would have (no bearing)
on the actual election results.

3. Yes, this incident is a giant news event. I just don't think it's going to matter
in regard to the eventual election results.

4. This is not necessarily factual. This is just what my gut instinct tells me.

5. I trust my gut.

6. We all know that there are no guarantees, but I do believe that Biden will be re-elected this upcoming election.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 07:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
The BBC interviewed a guy who saw the shooter getting in place on a roof with a rifle, tried for three full minutes to get the attention of Secret Service or some other black suited police types on the roof behind a partition from the shooter.

They feigned confusion until the shots were fired, and then blew the guy’s brains out, per eyewitness report.

Shades of JFK.

Secret Service coordinates / allows the shots, kills the stooge.

But he missed the head shot by an inch. Grazed Trump’s face and ear.

This is about to get real.
https://x.com/WarWatchs/status/1812272696551764399
Real Music

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 07:20 pm
1. If the election were to be held today, I believe that Biden would be re-elected.

2. Although November is months away, I believe Biden will win in November.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 08:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
Fortunately, I've managed to have more thoughts since that one Wink
BillW

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 08:14 pm
A very heavy percentage of the true "VOTING" electorate (upwards of 80% IMHO) are decided and will NOT change, regardless of what happens! The Dems are decided by Party for the most part. The Repubs are decided by candidate mostly, except the "Never Trumpers"!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 08:19 pm
@thack45,
I'm always amazed at how fervent Trumps fans are, I think it's a morality issue. Apparently many people love his authoritarian views, his racist outlook, his hatred of non-white people and his flat refusal to ever admit a mistake.

As far as the next election, Trump will claim he has won even if every State votes in majority for Biden. He talks about punishing his enemies, some people absolutely loooooove that talk. Do you enjoy talking to people who hate others because their political views don't match? If you do, what's wrong with you?
BillW

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 10:44 pm
The worst thing that could happen to Biden and the Dems right now?

Have the Repubs go away from, ie lose Trump running for Pres for them. Eliminate Trump, Biden loses.
roger

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 10:58 pm
@BillW,
I guess that's somewhat true of me. I might stick with Biden, anyway, but I would surely not vote for trump
glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2024 11:33 pm
@roger,
I have to go with Roger, I can't vote for Trump because I think he's a moral degenerate....I will have to vote for Biden........Kennedy needs to take a nap somewhere.

All said, I'm grateful that Trump wasn't killed. I remember so many murders from JFK, Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy, many other equal rights advo cates......plus the ones that didn't sucumb like Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, George Wallace (I didn't like, but I was distressed that he was shot)...I don't even want to start mentioning all the Senators and Congresspeople that have been shot, some survived and others didn't.

So what the hell is wrong with us? Anybody have a clue?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 12:05 am
Even before the attempted assassination of the ex-president, the political climate in the USA was extremely heated.
I hope that the country will now come to its senses.
The assassin was apparently a registered Republican - perhaps a very mentally ill person. (We had something similar here: in 1990, a mentally ill assassin seriously injured the then Federal Minister of the Interior Schäuble with revolver shots at an election campaign event.)

On the other side: we had the Reichstag fire in 1933, a false flag operation,.
Subsequently, the fundamental rights of the Weimar Constitution were de facto suspended and the way was cleared for the legalised persecution of political opponents.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 12:07 am
Repubs are convinced that freedoms and rights are only going to taken away from Dems, not them. It will be an entirely different story, but too late, when they realize it is them too!

BTW, Trump now has another suit he can cut up and sell out in little bitty pieces to make money. "The Suit I Got Shot In! Get your swatch while they last." What a huckster.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 03:46 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Do you enjoy talking to people who hate others because their political views don't match? If you do, what's wrong with you?

I guess you're referring to my comment to Lash? I had known the news for about eight minutes at that point, and was thinking about Reagan, and the spike in his popularity after the attempt on him. And then how Trump and his campaign and the online-right are going to milk the bejesus out of this. Then I was thinking about the incoming conspiracies if the shooter isn't a slam dunk symbol of the "radical left". Then I finished up the mowing. Later I'd thought about how Trump is no Reagan, and his ear was grazed, and indeed there are about 3.5 months left. I did eventually get around to thinking about his wife and the boy. I'm also wondering what sort of effect the actual thought of having had someone shoot a gun at his head will have on a guy like Trump.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 05:02 am
Quote:
Cool heads needed as political fringe dwellers spread disinformation after Trump shooting

Disinformation researcher Amanda Rogers has described the polarized, unhinged, conspiracy-driven noise in social media responses to the shooting of Donald Trump as “a self-sustaining spiral of ****”.

Rogers, a fellow at the progressive thinktank Century Foundation, has seen this before. But the scale is new and troubling, she said. Conversation on social media – and the mainstream media – is focused on the motivations of the shooter and the impact on the election, she said. Bad actors want to turn a moment like this into a broader call for violence. And they will spread lies to get there, she said.

“The fact that this is the perfect storm environment for dis-info from every single point on the political spectrum, is something that worries me immensely,” Rogers said. “Because it’s an accelerationist’s wet dream … But we need to have voices in the media that are speaking to the fact that this is a breaking situation. People need to calm down about speculation.”

Accelerationists are those on the political fringes – right and left – who want a civil war to burn the country to ash so they can start anew from the rubble. Notably, the term “Civil War” began trending in the wake of the Trump shooting.

Social media was instantly flooded with hyperbole, lies, conspiracy theories and uninformed nonsense about the shooting. The commentary ranged from suggestions on the right like those of Georgia Rep Michael Collins that the president, Joe Biden, solicited the violence and should be charged with a crime, to those on the left suggesting that the shooting is a hoax meant to bolster Trump’s flagging poll figures.

Reasonable questions about whether the Secret Service missed something become conspiracies about whether Biden deliberately withheld competent protection for Trump, said Jonathan Corpus Ong, a disinformation researcher and professor of communications at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

“I think it’s normal for people to be speculating, and kind of like trying to make sense of what happened,” he said. “I think it’s important for any journalist or any reader to be very critical of what they see in the media and what they’re reading, to take it slow as well … I think we would not want to be swept up with fear, because that would get us into a state of distrust in other people as well. It’s important to be vigilant with what we consume, and also learn when to step back from fear-mongering narratives.”

Factchecking the deep fakes
AI further complicates the reaction to breaking news events.

Some images from the event are bound to become iconic, like the photograph taken by Evan Vucci of the Associated Press of Trump, fist raised and ear bloodied, an American flag waving behind him as Secret Service officers sweep him from the area.

But others from questionable sources could be swiftly fabricated. There’s value in comparing pictures from multiple sources at the event, or noting which agencies are distributing them, Ong said.

“You would like to see videos and a news account and analysis, to have multiple sources and to be corroborated and verified by multiple experts, in order to make sure that it is authentic in the age of deep fakes,” he said.

The emotional, historic nature of the moment lends itself to manipulation confirming existing biases, “that trigger very strong emotions of fear or anxiety,” Ong said. “I think that’s what we need to be looking at. And be wary of.”

Before the FBI had identified 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks as the “subject involved” in the shooting, speculation about the gun and the identity of the alleged shooter had begun. Posts began moving through social media almost immediately, suggesting that the shooter used a BB gun, or alternatively that the weapon was a “ghost gun” built from 3D-printed parts.

Police later said they recovered an AR-style rifle at the scene.

Neither claim could be immediately substantiated. Each claim serves a partisan narrative, either that the shooting was a hoax or evidence of lax gun regulations.

Similarly unsubstantiated noise emerged from rightwing spaces about the identity of the alleged shooter.

“These are the usual responses that we get from the accelerationists in the far right channels … you’ve got people identifying the shooter as Antifa, or as a trans person, as a Jewish person,” Rogers said. “You’ve got the usual suspects being trotted out. And then on the more QAnon channels you’ve got ‘this is the left trying to bait us into a civil war’.”

The one thing Rogers found most disturbing was a pattern of mass deletion of posts in the far-right Telegram channels she follows in the minutes after the shooting. She said they do that in case it was one of their own.

“Telegram aficionados know that people are watching and potentially, if there was a connection, if there’s anybody on there that did actually have facts, it’s not like they’re going to let that stuff stand.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jul/14/cool-heads-needed-as-political-fringe-dwellers-spread-disinformation-after-trump-shooting
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 05:02 am
@thack45,

glitterbag wrote:
I’m also wondering what sort of effect the actual thought of having had someone shoot a gun at his head will have on a guy like Trump.

Could the effects make him any worse? I had a an odd thought about this: After the election, and, Lo and behold, he gets elected, and he gets a bill through that bans guns. I’m such an optimistic guy.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 05:30 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Lo and behold, he gets elected, and he gets a bill through that bans guns. I’m such an optimistic guy.
More or less immediately after the Reichstag fire in Berlin in 1933, the Weimar Republic's weapons legislation was used to disarm political opponents and/or to carry out raids and house searches on the flimsy grounds of "searching for weapons".

The Jewish population as well as communists and left-wingers were classified as untrustworthy according to the law, and no (new) gun licences or shooting permits were issued to them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 05:30 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

glitterbag wrote:
I’m also wondering what sort of effect the actual thought of having had someone shoot a gun at his head will have on a guy like Trump.

Could the effects make him any worse? I had a an odd thought about this: After the election, and, Lo and behold, he gets elected, and he gets a bill through that bans guns. I’m such an optimistic guy.

If the far-left is correct that Trump intends to be a dictator...

...and the far-right is correct that the first thing dictators do is to remove guns from the citizenry...

...then that is exactly what should happen.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 05:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Ragman wrote:
Lo and behold, he gets elected, and he gets a bill through that bans guns. I’m such an optimistic guy.
More or less immediately after the Reichstag fire in Berlin in 1933, the Weimar Republic's weapons legislation was used to disarm political opponents and/or to carry out raids and house searches on the flimsy grounds of "searching for weapons".

The Jewish population as well as communists and left-wingers were classified as untrustworthy according to the law, and no (new) gun licences or shooting permits were issued to them.

Wow...you posted this while I was composing my comments.

We were thinking alike on this, Walter.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 06:19 am
Regarding Mango jebus:

Seed the wind, reap the whirlwind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 06:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Shades of JFK.

More like unidentified man in SS uniform in 1937.
0 Replies