Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 10:16 am
https://assets.amuniversal.com/beb897d08b65013c3257005056a9545d.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 10:34 am
You know is not mentioned on Epstein's flight logs?

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/201223105619-01-joe-biden-1222-super-tease.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 11:01 am
https://i.redd.it/6sh090ms10ac1.jpeg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 04:22 pm
@Wilso,
All of them.

Why would you bypass the multitude of names on the Epstein list to try to make it only about Trump?

There’s something very wrong with that response.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 04:26 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don’t think Epstein killed himself.
For the reason we’re mentioning.

Cameras trained on his cell that were working hours before suddenly stopped filming. Weary of so many coincidences.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 04:51 pm
@Lash,
Some times things happen outside of a conspiracy. I like to use Ochams razor: the obvious explanation is almost always the real explanation.

There has been no explanation as to how this could have happened, just innuendo, and pure conjecture.
blatham

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 07:49 pm
Related to my earlier post...
Quote:
Greg Sargent@GregTSargent
8h
I'm happy to announce that I'm joining @newrepublic next week to write reported pieces and host TNR's new daily podcast. TNR has been doing some of the most vital reported opinion and long form journalism in the country. I'm excited to be part of it at such a critical moment!

Quote:
Michael Tomasky@mtomasky
8h
Very psyched about this! Greg starts at TNR next week!

Tomasky is the editor there.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 08:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Cameras trained on his cell that were working hours before suddenly stopped filming. Weary of so many coincidences.

Do you think a large group of outraged parents of abused girls did him in?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 08:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The Civil War was caused by the King trying to raise taxes without the authority of Parliament.

That's what I was taught anyway.

I never thought of it that way, I was thinking of the one in the 1860's.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 08:11 pm
@blatham,
They want to keep Hugh Hewitt?????? That's obscene.
blatham

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 10:42 pm
@glitterbag,
And Marc Thiessen. At least that appears to be the case so far. If that holds true, it really sets off an alarm regarding the current big wigs at the Post. When I was living in New York, I had a couple of long conversations with the wife of the Post's CFO (I'm not sure that was his title but it was his function). I no longer am in contact with her so no access to inside information - if her husband is even still there. About a dozen years ago, Greg Sargent had previously told me that he could discern no manipulation of editorial content by Bezos at that time so I really don't know what the hell is going on.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 11:20 pm
@blatham,
I seldom agree with ol Will on politics, but I can deal with Kathleen because I don't think she's a maniac..............but Hugh is a freaking nightmare of crazy pants.
Lash

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 04:20 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I guess I’d like to know how you define ‘conspiracy.’
Seems to be, for most people, anything that departs from the narrative they’re fed by mainstream media.

Can we acknowledge we have a deeply corrupt government that has undue control over how news is framed and reported?
hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 04:26 am
Quote:
The new year has hit with news flying in from a number of quarters.

At home, minimum wage increased in nearly half of U.S. states; it has been 14 years since the last increase in the federal minimum wage, the longest stretch since 1938 according to the AFL-CIO. NPR correspondent David Gura quoted Goldman Sachs’s chief equity strategist to note, ​​”The S&P 500 index returned 26% including dividends in 2023, more than 2x the average annual return of 12% since 1986.”

Representative Bill Johnson (R-OH) today submitted his resignation, effective January 21, to become the president of Youngstown State University. This shaves the Republican majority in the House of Representatives even thinner. With the recent expulsion of George Santos (R-NY) and resignation of Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), the Republicans will control just 219 seats, permitting them a margin of only two seats to pass legislation when the House returns on January 9.

The Republican House has been one of the least effective in history, and it has its work cut out for it in the new year. The first phase of the continuing resolution Congress passed in November to fund the government expires on January 19, ending funding for transportation, housing, energy, agriculture, and veterans’ affairs. The second phase expires on February 2. Much of the 2018 Farm Bill that covers food and farm aid expired in 2023. As of yesterday, January 1, the items usually covered in farm bills fall under a hodge-podge of fixes, with some old provisions from the 1930s and 1940s going back into force.

Also outstanding is the measure to provide supplemental funding for Israel, Ukraine, and the southern border between the U.S. and Mexico, as well as providing humanitarian assistance for Palestinian civilians in Gaza.

House Republicans refused to pass that measure unless it included their own extreme anti-immigration measures, but they have refused to participate in efforts to hash out legislation, clearly preferring to keep the issue hot to use against the Democrats in 2024. Since President Joe Biden took office, he and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas have asked Congress for additional funding for Customs and Border Patrol officers and additional immigration courts, but despite Republicans’ own demand for such legislation, House speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) wrote to Biden in December demanding that he impose stricter immigration rules and build a border wall through executive action. Today, Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) echoed the idea that Biden, not Congress, should deal with the border.

Meanwhile, Emily Brooks and Rebecca Beitsch of The Hill reported today that about 60 House Republicans are planning to visit the border in Texas to emphasize the issue. They are also preparing to impeach Mayorkas on the grounds that he has failed to meet the requirements of the Secure Fence Act, “which defines operational control of the border as a status in which not a single person or piece of contraband improperly enters the country.” As Brooks and Beitsch point out, “not a single secretary of Homeland Security has met that standard of perfection.” House Republicans plan to hold hearings on impeaching Mayorkas, but Homeland Security Committee chair Mark Green (R-TN) has suggested to the Fox News Channel that the articles of impeachment are already written.

At the intersection of domestic and foreign affairs, Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ), whom federal prosecutors have already indicted for using his office to work for Egypt, was charged again today with using his political influence to work for the government of Qatar. This is a big deal: at the time, Menendez was the chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, a key position in the U.S. government. Two Republican operatives are pleading guilty to evading lobbying laws in their own work for Qatar; their activities appear to have been much more limited than Menendez’s.

The turn of the new year has also produced lots of news in foreign affairs.

On February 4, 2021, just after Secretary of State Antony Blinken took office, Biden spoke at the State Department and said “the message I want the world to hear today” is that “America is back. Diplomacy is back at the center of our foreign policy.” In a New York Times article from December 31, Peter Baker, Edward Wong, Julian E. Barnes, and Isabel Kershner emphasize that Biden and his team have been engaged constantly in diplomacy with Israel, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Oman. Since the October 7, 2023, attack by Iran-backed Hamas on Israel, Biden has spoken with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu 14 times and visited Israel; Blinken has traveled to the region three times and visited Israel five times.

On December 22, in the Christian Science Monitor, Arab political journalist Taylor Luck and correspondent Fatima AbdulKarim reported that Arab Gulf states, Egypt, Jordan, the U.S., and the European Union have created “[a] massive postwar reconstruction plan…for the besieged Gaza Strip.” The plan is to “rebuild the coastal strip, unite and overhaul Palestinian governance, and create a Palestinian security force in Gaza to ensure Palestinian and Israeli security.”

Arab diplomats insist the reconstruction of southern Gaza, including alleviating suffering, rebuilding housing and infrastructure, and restoring jobs, must be “rapid”; Gulf states have set $3 billion a year for ten years as the first budget. The plan calls for a “revamped and revitalized” Palestinian Authority to govern Gaza and the West Bank with current president Mahmoud Abbas as a figurehead and an apolitical unity government running affairs.

The plan is still developing, but already the main obstacles are Israel’s governing coalition, led by Netanyahu, who refuses the ideas of a two-state solution and of a Palestinian Authority in charge of Gaza, and Hamas, which Gulf states as well as the U.S. reject as a participant in the future governance of Gaza. Other Iran-backed militias also oppose such a solution.

From the beginning of the Hamas-Israel war, the Biden administration has been very clear that its first goal was to make sure the conflict didn’t spread, with Lebanon’s Iran-allied Hezbollah and other proxy militias joining in fully. Biden immediately sent two carrier groups to the region and promised “to move in additional assets as needed.” On October 10 he warned: “Let me say again—to any country, any organization, anyone thinking of taking advantage of this situation, I have one word: Don’t. Don’t.”

The New York Times piece by Baker, Wong, Barnes, and Kershner revealed that Biden and his national security team, including Secretary of State Antony Blinken and national security advisor Jake Sullivan, also warned Netanyahu against launching a preemptive strike on Hezbollah. Israel and Hezbollah have been attacking each other with drones, missiles, and air strikes along the countries’ border.

Meanwhile, Iran-backed Houthi rebels from Yemen have attacked ships in the Red Sea, which is one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, handling about 12% of global trade and about 8.2 million barrels of crude oil and oil products every day. On December 31, four small boats attacked the Hangzhou, a container ship from the Danish shipping giant Maersk sailing under a Singapore flag, and then fired on the U.S. Navy helicopters that responded to the Hangzhou’s distress call. The helicopter crews sank three of the boats, killing their crews; the fourth fled.

Today, Iran sent a naval frigate to the Red Sea, and Maersk announced it would stop using the Red Sea route until further notice. Hezbollah media said that an Israeli drone strike in Beirut, Lebanon, killed Saleh Arouri, the deputy political head of Hamas and a founder of its military wing. Hezbollah has vowed to retaliate.

Also today, in response to calls from Israeli cabinet members for the resettlement of Palestinians outside Gaza, the U.S. State Department issued a “rejection” of both the language and the idea. “We have been clear, consistent, and unequivocal that Gaza is Palestinian land and will remain Palestinian land, with Hamas no longer in control of its future and with no terror groups able to threaten Israel. That is the future we seek, in the interests of Israelis and Palestinians, the surrounding region, and the world.”

And in today’s Washington Post, Lebanon’s former prime minister Fouad Siniora and former Lebanese lawmaker Basem Shabb noted that “[d]espite the ferocity of the bombing and the great loss of innocent civilian lives in Gaza, the conflict remains largely contained to an Israeli-Palestinian confrontation—and more specifically, is broadly understood in the Arab world to be a conflict with Hamas, a non-state actor,” but warned the conflict must not spread. They noted that in November, “in a first, 57 Arab and Islamic countries…called for a peaceful resolution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict based on a two-state solution,” the same concept embraced by the Biden administration.

“In response to Israel’s atrocities in Gaza, the Arab world responded with denunciation—but, more importantly, with diplomacy. No military threats were issued by any of the Arab states toward Israel,” the Lebanese lawmakers pointed out. They urged Israel to embrace the two-state solution “and, in doing so, usher in a new era in the Middle East.”

Lots of pieces moving around the board on this second day of January 2024.

hcr
Bogulum

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 06:52 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Lash wrote:

Do you think a large group of outraged parents of abused girls did him in?

I take it you’re joking about outraged parents.

But, Do you think it’s an outrageous idea that powerful people arranged to have him silenced?
hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 06:57 am
Quote:
Can we acknowledge we have a deeply corrupt government that has undue control over how news is framed and reported?

There are always examples of corruption at various levels of government and this is true in the rest of the world as well as in the US. Whether it's a fire safety investigator at the municipal level or someone like U.S. Senator Bob Menendez, there's always the chance that an individual will seek personal gain and violate the public trust. But that doesn't indicate the sort of deep levels of systemic corruption found in many struggling economies around the world. Nor does it demonstrate "undue" control over the content and propagation of stories in the news. Fox News, a major media organization, consistently and uncritically ran false accounts of the 2020 election as legitimate news stories, basically undermining a core feature of our democratic system – and the government did nothing. It was a lawsuit by a corporation which forced Fox to admit wrongdoing and reframe the story to separate opinion from fact, not the government.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 07:10 am
@Lash,
Quote:

No. Because that's the conspiracy talk again. When shallow thinkers can't bridge the gap between what happened and what their narrative wishes had happened, they resort to a blanket, undetailed, stretch of "conspiracy".

We do have some venial, corrupt, non critical thinking politicians, though.
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 07:27 am
@Lash,
Quote:

Well yeah. A corrupted media tried to frame complaints about Israel's war crimes against the Palestinians as a pro-Hamas stance, and therefore antisemitic. I mean, that was kinda in-your-face bullshyt from the media.
hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 07:51 am
Quote:
A corrupted media tried to frame complaints about Israel's war crimes against the Palestinians as a pro-Hamas stance, and therefore antisemitic.

It'd difficult to tell which is more ineffective – endless harping about "corrupt media" in this country or thinking that the plight of the Palestinians is somehow affected by what amounts to nothing more than our "thoughts and prayers".
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 08:11 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It'd difficult to tell which is more ineffective . . .

First you have to admit that there is a problem. Talking about it is the first step. Did you know that there are still people who can't find the will to call what Israel is doing to the Palestinians at this moment war crimes?

What's difficult is trying to discuss these war crimes with someone who is not even willing to call Israel's actions the crime against humanity that it most definitely is. In fact, I recall the times when you refused to call them war crimes or crimes against humanity.

You do believe that Israel is committing crimes against humanity--in this case the Palestinian people--at this moment, right?