Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 08:37 am

https://i.postimg.cc/T33WzfX1/capture.jpg
hightor

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:02 am
Why the Idea of “Poisoning the Blood” is So Dangerous to Democracy

https://i.imgur.com/DBBVOKp.png

Umair Haque wrote:
To the Nazis, I would’ve been a subhuman. Not just because I’m not a member of the “Aryan” race, though, ironically, enough, that term originates from the place my ancestors are from, the Indian subcontinent. It’s because my blood literally turns to poison. I joke about being a vampire, but it’s not a joke: I have a rare condition called Porphyria. Too much light, and my blood cells burst, and turn to iron dust, which sends me into organ failure. To the Nazis, my blood would have been poisoned, as they imagined it was for so many disabled people.

Now. Why do I bring all that up? Trump’s new line, sure to be repeated, over and over again, is that “they’re poisoning the blood of our country.” And what’ll happen is this: an initial outroar, as is happening now, and then, sighs and shrugs of despair, as it’s normalized, having been repeated over and over to the point it’s just a permeating line, thought, idea, part of everyday life, cheered on and applauded as if it were perfectly…normal.

When we hear political figures enact moments like these, we should all pause. They are among the most dangerous things that can happen to a society. I don’t just mean the “line,” because they’re hardly just “words.” Words have meanings, and here, we see referenced a range of theories and ideologies, and those aren’t “just words,” but have led to some of history’s most repellent periods. Nor are these just words in a purer sense: they’re at the center of rituals, and bond a movement together, in sadism. This isn’t just rhetoric—rather, it’s social action of a certain kind, transformation, of beliefs, attitudes, minds, and possibilities. So we should all take a moment to…

Remember. Just why moments like this are so profoundly dangerous. It should never be normalized, as we all know it will be, so speak of the “blood” of a nation being “poisoned” by those it considers…

What does it mean, anyways? Why are these words-which-aren’t-words, but rather, form of ritual violence, the classic scapegoating ritual made new, by purifying and absolving a community—that which we should guard against, and pay a great deal of attention to?

Ideologies. Theories. Meanings. Let’s delve deep into this little sentence together.

“Poisoning the blood.” What does it imply? That some blood is poisonous, and some isn’t. In other words, that there are two “races.” Those of pure blood, and those of impure blood. But that’s hardly all—those of impure blood can “poison” those with pure blood, whereas the opposite isn’t true, which is what “purity” means.

Now. In what sense can blood be not just “poisoned, but “poisonous”? The implication is that this sort of blood contains within it pathogens, which can infect the pure, too. But those pathogens aren’t ones which cause physical illness, like the flu, or even some form of communicable cancer. That, after all, is hardly what fascists are afraid of. Rather, these pathogens are of another kind entirely—an even more dangerous one: they cause moral infirmity.

The blood of the poisoned won’t give you cancer or make you blind. But it can, according to this ideology, make you many, many things, which are worse, because these things make you weak. It can make you lazy, or foolish, or greedy, or believe in the wrong creators. It can riddle you with vice, instead of lifting you to heaven with virtue. This pathogen the impure carry can give you a moral illness—and in that way, it can bring down a society from within. The blood of the impure, in short, transmits weakness, and weakness is death.

But how can that be? Note the implication, if you really want to grasp the ideology. The pure carry none of these burdens. Their blood doesn’t contain the etiology of moral illness within it. No currents of greed, stupidity, violence, infirmity, laziness, surge in the pure’s bloodstream. They’re like golden beings, made of virtue. So why do they suffer? Why have things gone so wrong, because after all, we’re discussing demagogic appeals, which surface and triumph in hard times? Because the poisonous blood of the impure has begun to rot society from within. Perhaps it even carries a kind of curse within it, and the only way to redeem such a nation in the eyes of creation, or destiny, is through…

Purification.

And that is where history’s bitterest chapters begin. From the Holocaust to genocides in Africa and Latin America and onwards. America already stands at this precipice, and make no mistake about that, because otherwise, one permits the normalization of all this. And what is “all this”? Hate.

Now. Let me put that into perspective for you. Where did the Nazis develop this bizarre ideology? You see, what distinguishes fascism as a modern ideology is that this sort of thinking was new. Who did the Nazis study to advance their own theories—ones that, as I’ve discussed with you, marry the moral with the biological? America. Modern day America—that means, at least in this context, America as a slave and segregated state. They had to study America, for a reason, and let me come back to it’s sordid history of justifying slavery and segregation, after I explain.

These theories and ideologies were the justification, too, for American slavery. The slave was an inferior. In the blood. That went from mere ideology to iron-hard legality, right down to defining how many drops of blood it took to make a person no longer a member of the literal master race. And in this context, America was almost unique.

Let’s go back in history. What made a slave in, say, ancient Rome or Greece? It wasn’t this notion of “blood,” which was to come much, much later in history, after millennia. Perhaps one had been conquered. Debt, too, could lead to slavery. As could various forms of law-breaking. But the idea that an entire set of social groups were “masters,” and another “slaves,” purely based on “blood”—that would’ve been alien to much of history. Even the conquered were permitted Roman citizenship, after a time, and in that regard, even a demagogue like Caesar was a reformer.

Perhaps the closest analogues we have to what was to happen in modern America, and inspire the Nazis, is the notion of “caste.” That’s much, much closer to “chattel slavery,” which is the idea that some people are just objects, and that subjection is heritable, through the blood. In caste societies, like, for example, those which flourished in India, ancestry was everything—some were warriors, some priests, and those unfortunates at the bottom, untouchables. So caste was a system, of course, of hierarchy—but even in this system, “blood” wasn’t quite the essence that divided one group from another. Some were chosen for faith, some for ferocity, some for wisdom.

The modern notion of fascism is in this regard new. Where did it come from? A close ancestor is the systems of peasantry and “nobility” which came to organize human society in what we now call the Dark Ages. And one reason they were dark is that this division swept the globe. In Japan, Samurai ruled by the sword. In Europe, empires and kings grew. Across the world, a sort of lull in history came to be, in which humanity was divided up into noble and peasant—and this difference was inherited precisely because it was in the blood, and when, after a time, people finally asked “why?,” cleverly, the divine right of kings was invented.

This dark ages system of peasantry and nobility, which we today call “feudalism,” still doesn’t quite capture the essence of fascism, though. Because though it was rare, here and there, a peasant could, through war, or cleverness, or industry, or marriage, rise to the status of a noble. It didn’t happen often, and yet that it did and could tells us that fascism is another step beyond it entirely. Feudalism, too, didn’t bind entire “races” together—the “feuds” were between rival clans, tribes, kingdoms, and it was perfectly acceptable for members of what’d later be called a “race” to be bitter enemies for generations, meaning there was no real understanding of some kind of imaginary shared lineage or destiny.

So fascism is different. It’s thoroughly a modern creation. The Nazis studied America for a reason: they had to. It was the one society which had taken the ideologies and theories the Nazis admired, and turned them into institutions. A rule of law, which said that some people were subjects and some “owners,” permitting human trafficking. Courts, which would laugh at the idea of personhood as a universal human right. Law enforcement, which would enforce “property rights” over people. All that sounds anodyne, so let’s put it into plainer English: families torn apart, lives destroyed, generations in chains, a genocide lasting centuries.

The Nazis studied the example that was the most advanced in human subjection, which, sadly, was America.

Now, that doesn’t mean that I’m “anti-American.” We are discussing tough stuff, and learning from history. These are just facts. The Nazis didn’t study, for example, Athenian democracy, or Rome’s Senate, or ancient tribes in which matrilineal power was transmitted and practiced, though of course they could have—instead, they studied and learned from who they did. And we all know what happened next, too.

So. When we hear political figures speak in these terms, we should be profoundly alarmed. Even though their goal is of course to normalize it. Not just because these are demagogic appeals—in fact, they go far, far beyond that. Athens had demagogues, too, and every period and society in history has. But “blood poisoning” is at the outer limit of the worst possibilities even for demagogues. It represents millennia of advancement in human folly, degradation, and malice. It took human beings millennia to create such theories. That’s why I took you through history.

To speak in such terms, to create modern-day rituals based around such ideologies—these are actions which are at the historical forefront of human malice. Representing thousands of years of development of malevolence, spite, animosity, hostility, vengefulness, resentment, rage. That is how dangerous it is. When we shrug, we normalize all of that—and we shame ourselves in the eyes of all those bitter centuries of history, too.

How do you betray a democracy? It isn’t just by launching a coup. It’s by painting it’s fundamental values as evil. Truth. Justice. Freedom. Rights. To speak of “blood poisoning” is to say that all of things are immoral, not goods, but bads—because they permit the impure to contaminate the pure. The impure are weak, and their blood is moral illness—so what rights or freedoms do they deserve? What is justice, if it isn’t purifying us of them? What good is truth, in science, art, literature, empiricism, reason—if the ultimate truth is that the weak must perish, so the strong survive, and thus claim their destiny as masters?

All this is contained in that. This, my friends, is the real thing. What we’re witnessing now history shudders at. But do we, enough?

theissue
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/T33WzfX1/capture.jpg

Amazing the responses they give to those questions...

...and equally amazing that there are people still wanting to vote for them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:17 am
@Region Philbis,
Yes. To me, the most frightening aspect of all this is that the Republican Party is knowingly engaged in a widespread project to make American citizens stupider.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:55 am
The Civil War was caused by the King trying to raise taxes without the authority of Parliament.

That's what I was taught anyway.
blatham

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 11:05 am
I'm not sure who here might have been following recent changes at the Washington Post over the last month. It's not good news.

Some 250 staff are being let go or offered buyout packages to leave. Among these 250 are some of their very best reporters and columnists including Paul Waldman and my friend Greg Sargent. The stated rationale is too optimistic income projections by the prior leadership. That may be true, I have no way of knowing. And we're aware that all print media is suffering the consequences of the rise of the internet.

I'd noticed changes happening over the last month and wrote Greg two weeks ago asking what the f*ck was going on? He said he was on holiday through Christmas and would have news then. On the 29th, he tweeted...

Quote:
Greg Sargent@GregTSargent
Well, looks like the news is out: This is my last week at @washingtonpost.
I was offered a voluntary buyout and I accepted it. My deepest thanks to all the great people at @PostOpinions and the rest of the paper -- it was a privilege and an inspiration to work with all of you. More news soon!

Greg is a very gracious fellow. But the responses to this news by other good people I follow on twitter was was uniformly dumbfounded and saddened or angered by the WP's decision because they'd all recognized the quality of Greg's work. Here's a very partial list of those who expressed dismay: Neal Katyal, David Axelrod, Margaret Sullivan, Kim Masters, EJ Dionne, Barb McQuade, Norm Orstein, Charles P Pierce, Brian Beutler, Marc E Elias, Josh Marshall.

What makes this decision by the WP even more worrisome is that (at least to this point) they're keeping Marc Thiessen, Megan McCardle, Hugh Hewitt, Kathleen Parker and George Will at the paper.

I'm not concerned at all re Greg's future employment. In the 15 years he's been at the paper (after being hired away from Talking Points Memo) he has become one of America's premiere analysts and writers. My concern is for the degradation of print media in the country.
hightor

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 11:58 am
@blatham,
Not an encouraging sign.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 06:07 pm
@izzythepush,
We were taught it was about haircuts.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 06:08 pm
@hightor,
He didn't know Hitler said it. It was a lucky guess.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 04:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Or circumcision.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 05:00 am
Quote:

The “Contest of the Century,” in a nutshell.

“China’s strategy is to outflank America economically, technologically, and diplomatically by making it the partner of choice for third world countries by offering them infrastructure (Belt & Road Initiative), technology (Digital Silk Road) and markets (Strategic Economic Partnerships).

“By contrast America offers them military pacts to confront China since it’s too protectionist to grant them free trade, too insular to encourage US investment and too self-centered to offer more aid.

“America is falling into a trap. It thinks the future will be decided by military dominance despite losing one war after another.

“China recognizes that the future will be decided by economics, which is especially important for development in the Global South.

“The US is intoxicated by its grandiose belief in its own ‘exceptionalism’. It is unable and unwilling to read the signs of the time.”

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 10:10 am
Quote:
Nearly 200 names linked to Jeffrey Epstein about to be made public

List could be released as soon as Tuesday after deadline for objections to unsealing of names passes midnight Monday

Nearly 200 names connected to the Jeffrey Epstein-Ghislaine Maxwell sex trafficking conspiracy could be released by a New York judge as soon as Tuesday, exposing or confirming the identities of dozens of associates of the disgraced financier that until now have only been known as John and Jane Does in court papers.

A deadline for objections to the unsealing of name passes at midnight on Monday, nearly nine years after victim Virginia Giuffre filed a single defamation claim against Maxwell, daughter of the late British press baron Robert Maxwell, in 2015, that in turn produced the names in legal depositions.

A year later, in 2016, US district court judge Robert Sweet rejected Maxwell’s motion to dismiss the case, finding that “the veracity of a contextual world of facts more broad than the allegedly defamatory statements” and that Guiffre “was a victim of sustained underage sexual abuse between 1999 and 2002”. The parties settled out of court in 2017.

From that wellspring came not only the names now set to be released, but a series of civil lawsuits including Guiffre’s action against Britain’s Prince Andrew for “sexual assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress” that was settled out of court without admission of liability for a reported $12m. The prince has always strenuously denied any wrongdoing.

The defamation suit also set the stage for a federal sex trafficking case against Maxwell, who was found guilty on five of six charges, and sentenced to a 20-year prison sentence in December 2021.

But expectations that the release of the names from the ageing defamation suit could transfer to criminal charges are likely overblown. Epstein killed himself while awaiting trial in 2019, and after Maxwell’s conviction federal prosecutors made it clear that they considered their work done.

Still, US district judge Loretta Preska’s 51-page order explaining her reasoning on whether to unseal or continue to redact the names of about 180 John and Jane Does offers will probably be a serious embarrassment to many high-profile figures .

Many on the list will already be publicly known as associates, employees of Epstein and Maxwell, or people who had flown on his planes. It may also name Epstein’s alleged victims who had been taken to homes, including a mansion in New York, a Palm Beach villa, a private island in the US Virgin Islands and a ranch outside Santa Fe.

Its the names of the John Does that will be mostly scrutinized, and is almost certain to include a former US presidents, actors, academics and, notoriously, the now reclusive British prince.

According to ABC News on Monday, “Jane Doe 162” is a witness who testified she was 17 when she was with Andrew, Maxwell and Giuffre at Epstein’s home in New York mansion.

Former US president Bill Clinton was identified by ANC News as “Doe 36” and is mentioned in more than 50 of the redacted filings, according to court records. Giuffre made no allegations of wrongdoing by Clinton, but maintains she met him on the island – which Clinton has said he never visited.

But personal flight logs kept by one of Epstein’s pilots showed that Clinton flew extensively on Epstein’s plane, including on trips to Paris, Bangkok and Brunei in the years after he left office in 2001.

According to ABC, Giuffre’s lawyers contacted Clinton’s legal representatives about a deposition but they responded that his testimony would not be helpful. Maxwell’s lawyers also rejected the idea, calling it a “transparent ploy by Guiffre to increase media exposure for her sensational stories through deposition side-show”.

But Clinton’s name repeatedly came up in connection with Epstein, including in a New York magazine article in 2002 in which he said through a spokesman that Epstein was “both a highly successful financier and a committed philanthropist with a keen sense of global markets and an in-depth knowledge of 21st-century science”.

Clinton has said he cut with Epstein in 2005 after Epstein was accused of bringing underage girls to his Palm Beach home for sexualized massages. A federal investigation was dropped, and Epstein pleaded guilty to state charges of procurement of a minor and solicitation of prostitution, given a light sentence and required to register as a sex offender.

After Epstein was arrested in 2019, Clinton again issued a statement, saying he’d not spoken to Epstein “in well over a decade” and “has never been to Little St James Island, Epstein’s ranch in New Mexico, or his residence in Florida” and “knows nothing” about Epstein’s crimes.

While the depositions may offer a closer reading of Epstein and Maxwell’s interactions prior to Epstein’s solicitation conviction, much of the focus is now on the financier’s behavior after he was released from detention in Florida and returned to New York to rebuild his reputation.

Epstein’s scheduling diaries that found their way to the Wall Street Journal this year during Epstein-related lawsuits between the US Virgin Islands and two US banks, revealed the extent that the financier continued to build his network.

The boldface names that emerged included the director of CIA, Williams Burns, and Kathryn Ruemmler, White House counsel under Barack Obama, alongside lesser figures including the leftwing professor and activist Noam Chomsky, billionaire venture capitalist Reid Hoffman and Lawrence Summers, former Harvard president and director of the National Economic Council under Obama.

Others included Woody Allen, Bill Gates, Thorbjørn Jagland, a former Norwegian prime minister, former Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak and former Barclays chairman Jes Staley.

An acquaintance of Maxwell and Epstein told the Guardian last year that Epstein’s patterns of behavior were not significantly different pre-and-post convictions. “He was not a changed man,” they said. “But you need to understand that in his mind he thought he’d done nothing wrong and he was entitled to behave anyway he wanted to if he had the money to pull it off.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/01/jeffrey-epstein-ghislaine-maxwell-associates-list
Bogulum

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 12:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Beyond some personal embarrassment at being publicly exposed, do you foresee any actual consequences coming to those whose names are revealed?
I think the gossip mills will have a high old time, and I thin the pundits will do the requisite pearl clutching and finger wagging, but in todays climate I think the "blockbuster" effect of this story will quickly fade, without nary a child trafficking, or child molestation, or solicitation charge filed.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 12:48 pm
@Bogulum,
The relevant legal authorities have already said they don't intend charging anyone else so no, but it's always good for a bit of dirt on the rich and famous, makes ghem less sanctimonious.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 04:00 pm
@Wilso,
Agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 03:25 am
If these millionaire and billionaire child rapists go free, all pedophiles and child rapists should go free.

I’m sick to death of the double standard.

Wilso

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 04:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

If these millionaire and billionaire child rapists go free, all pedophiles and child rapists should go free.

I’m sick to death of the double standard.

I read a Twitter post by a prominent Maga group that said they KNOW that Trump raped minors, and that they DON’T CARE.
blatham

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 06:11 am
Heather Cox Richardson interviewed by Josh Marshall and Kate Riga at Talking Points Memo on the state of American democracy and how we got to this point... HERE
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 06:22 am
@Wilso,
Unfortunately the privileged do get off.

Prince Andrew should be in a prison cell.

People like that always get off.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 10:12 am
@Lash,
I get your frustration, however letting them all go doesn't stop child exploitation. Or stop the simple fact that those with money have the ability to pursue all avenues in the Justice system. I would point out that Epstein committed suicide once he reached the end of his legal rope.

There is a balance between lynching the obvious pedo and the presumption of innocence in front of blind justice. I say it lies on the side of presumptive innocence. Fortunately guilty less well heeled pedos outnumber the wealthy pedos, so in the end more pedos are found guilty than not.