Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

revelette1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:03 am
'Deliberately deceived the nation': Legal experts stunned by 'jaw-dropping' report on Barr, Durham protecting Trump

Quote:
Legal experts are now weighing in on Thursday’s bombshell, massive and months-long reporting from The New York Times that reveals, among several previously unknown allegations, that then-Attorney General Bill Barr and his special counsel, John Durham were handed apparent evidence of suspicious financial acts by Donald Trump, and proceeded to create a false public narrative that Durham’s investigation found evidence of “suspicious financial dealings” related to Trump, suggesting it was on the part of the FBI, not the president, in order to protect the president.

“On one of Mr. Barr and Mr. Durham’s trips to Europe,” The Times reveals, “according to people familiar with the matter, Italian officials — while denying any role in setting off the Russia investigation — unexpectedly offered a potentially explosive tip linking Mr. Trump to certain suspected financial crimes.”

The Times adds that “Mr. Barr and Mr. Durham never disclosed that their inquiry expanded in the fall of 2019, based on a tip from Italian officials, to include a criminal investigation into suspicious financial dealings related to Mr. Trump.”

“Mr. Durham never filed charges, and it remains unclear what level of an investigation it was, what steps he took, what he learned and whether anyone at the White House ever found out. The extraordinary fact that Mr. Durham opened a criminal investigation that included scrutinizing Mr. Trump has remained secret.”

Until now.

“When Durham unexpectedly found evidence of crimes committed BY rather than AGAINST Trump, he and Barr deliberately deceived the nation into thinking the opposite! This deep dive by the NYT is as jaw-dropping as anything I’ve read in the past decade,” Tribe says.

Law professor and former President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund (LDF) Sherrilyn Ifill, one of TIME’s 2021 most influential people in the world, accused Barr of “gaslighting” the public.

“Every line of this article must be read,” Ifill implored. “Horrifying breaches of professional ethics, misuse of DOJ investigative resources, and deliberate lies to, and gaslighting of the public. A grotesque perversion of the appropriate role of Attorney General.”

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance, the well-known MSNBC legal contributor and professor of law, also calls it “jaw dropping.”

“Jaw dropping reporting. Lots here including an explanation of why Durham’s colleague resigned: under pressure from Barr to release an ‘interim’ report damaging Clinton & the FBI as the election drew near, Durham had a draft prepared that wasn’t factual,” she says.

Andrew Weissman, the former General Counsel of the Federal Bureau of Investigation who spent 20 years at DOJ, including working under Special Counsel Robert Mueller, calls Barr “corrupt.”

“Can anyone really be surprised by this?” he asks. “Barr was just so corrupt and so corrupted the DOJ.”

MSNBC legal analyst Jill Wine-Banks, a former Watergate prosecutor and the first woman to serve as US General Counsel of the Army was troubled by the picture The Times painted of how close Barr and Durham were, when special counsels are supposed to have great autonomy and not be shaded by any Attorney General interference.

“Even more troubling than Barr and Durham frequently having drinks and discussing the investigation is the fact that the only crime they discovered on their foreign trip was Italian intel about crimes by Trump,” she says via Twitter. “I want to know the status of that investigation!”

Some legal experts lament that despite the bombshells in The Times’ report, it appears nothing will come of it – certainly nothing from the House Republicans.

Former Associate White House Counsel Ian Bassin sardonically asks, “Surely McCarthy and Jim Jordan’s new Select Committee on ‘the Weaponization of the Federal Government’ will focus on this story and the actions of Bill Barr, John Durham and Donald Trump. Surely, right? Right?”

Wine-Banks also points to House Republicans’ new committee investigating what they claim is “weaponization” of the federal government.

“Barr’s relationship with Durham, his pressure on him to reach a certain result and their failure to follow up on Trump’s crime revealed during the investigation is what weaponization of the DOJ looks like — not what Republicans want to investigate now.”

I can see Barr allowing the stunning amount of craziness (a gentle choice of word) described in this article,” he writes. “But does anyone in the current OAG or ODAG care about this? Durham has reported to AG Garland for twenty two (22) months now.”

“This,” Weissman adds separately, pointing to The Times article, “is all about the Trump weaponization of the DOJ – but we know that the House Rs won’t give a damn about it.”

Pete Strzok, who spent 26 years at the FBI including as Deputy Assistant Director of the Bureau’s Counterintelligence Division, and led the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 United States election, speaks from experience.

A link to the times article is at the source. I let my subscription go there again. I have forgotten about Alternet, glad to read from there again now that I found it.
revelette1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:07 am
@blatham,
I suspect most of the right wing conspiracies around the unfortunate attack on Paul Pelosi knew that going in which is why they tried so hard to push alternative conspiracies around it.
blatham

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:18 am
@revelette1,
No question about it, rev. On Jan 6, there was an immediate narrative being pushed out from right wing voices that the bad stuff was caused by Antifa agents in MAGA garb. It is a standard strategy (and standardly immediate) for the right to behave this way using the many online vehicles and RW media entities available to them now.
BillW

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:38 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

No question about it, rev. On Jan 6, there was an immediate narrative being pushed out from right wing voices that the bad stuff was caused by Antifa agents in MAGA garb. It is a standard strategy (and standardly immediate) for the right to behave this way using the many online vehicles and RW media entities available to them now.

If true, then how come there hasn't been any "Antifa agents" on trial? I know - just saying.........
blatham

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:42 am
@BillW,
The FBI and the deep state and the liberal justice department are in league with Beelzebub. Obviously.
BillW

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:49 am
@blatham,
Ahhhhhhhh, got it!😏
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:02 am
One think that seems to get lost in all this is the fact that Mr Pelosi was very seriously hurt. That guy fractured his fvcking skull.

It was sad to see the look on Nancy Pelosi’s face when she answered a question shouted at her as she was turning away from the microphones to leave. The question was “How is your husband?” After hesitating just for a second as if to think how to answer, she said “He’s coming along.” But she looked defeated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that look from her before.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:05 am
@revelette1,
It was pointed out by a friend that John Durham is another figure in a long line of formerly respected individuals now tainted by their association with the former president.

(I posted the NYT article here)
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:09 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It was pointed out by a friend that John Durham is another figure in a long line of formerly respected individuals now tainted by their association with the former president.

That is a very, very long list, Hightor. Why anyone would want to get on it is beyond comprehension. Frankly, I would not even say, "Gesundheit" if Trump sneezed in my presence. Just being near him seems to be enough for the taint to attach and stick.
revelette1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:21 am
@hightor,
I haven't been to Rising Fascism in a while. Its like we have to go down into the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories on the thread. But thanks, I'll try to read it from your link.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
I get you, but, now don't get me wrong, but DeSantis as a President would be 1000 times worse than Trump as President. He is running the education system in FL like some kind of authorial regime. Can you imagine him as President of the whole United States? Nightmarish.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 11:07 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I get you, but, now don't get me wrong, but DeSantis as a President would be 1000 times worse than Trump as President. He is running the education system in FL like some kind of authorial regime. Can you imagine him as President of the whole United States? Nightmarish.

The thought of DeSantis as President is every bit as repulsive to me as it is to you, Rev. It seems to me that DeSantis is a punk, though. No real follow-through. Yeah, DeSantis does terrify me, but I am more afraid of Nikki Haley.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 02:04 pm
@blatham,
Hello Blatham, it wasn't an objection. It was a statement. There were too many issues to solve (you already covered similar issues in your post):

1. 'Political Movement' - are we talking about an interest group, a political advocacy group, a minor political party, or a major political party?
2. Is the political movement tied to the the already existing level of 'dishonesty and lack of integrity' or clear leaders in that space?
3. How are you going to determine the of the group, as compared to the level in society? And was society already heading that way?
4. In this situation, would you then be looking at doing something in that space to try and limit such, or wanting another political party to limit such? If so, how would they limit such?

Each of these questions, once 'answered', then come with a stack of other questions or issues that need to be looked at - particularly if you are looking for something to be done about it.

Nothing about the above involved a simple 'answer'.

hightor

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 03:40 pm
I made a comment some pages back and I'm quite proud to say that Marjorie Traitor Greene is now floating the same theory – anti-Biden Dems planted the classified documents in Biden's office to keep him from running for a second term!

Of course, as Pakman points out, if high-placed Democrats really opposed his running and sat down with him to explain why, he'd be smart enough to listen and probably comply. No need to frame him, but that's how the GOP mind set works!

Carlson's take on Pence's problem is just as stupid.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 04:21 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Nothing about the above involved a simple 'answer'.
Simple would be nice but it's not available here.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The video of the assault on Paul Pelosi is in circulation. I wonder if it will assuage the concerns about police coverups or concocted stories that someone had?

body cam footage here

And an apology for being a hate-mongering dipshit would be fine but that ain't something we'll see here.

We won't see an apology, and the Republicans think they drove Nancy out of leadership. What a bunch of macho-asshats, vote for me or we will sneak in your house and beat your 82 year old spouse or grandfather in the head with a hammer. And then the sorry asses claim they are patriots.

Just to add insult to injury, Mitt Romney's daughter was one of the many that somehow thinks head injuries are somewhat of a hoot.
Mame

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 09:58 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

We won't see an apology, and the Republicans think they drove Nancy out of leadership.

Didn't she agree last time not to seek another 4 year term? So everyone already knew her end-date, no?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2023 11:56 pm
@Mame,
She only gets a 2 year term as Representative. I doubt she would have sought another term (I really don't know) but the republicans didn't drive her out.......somebody snuck into her home and almost killed her husband.
Mame

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2023 08:03 am
@glitterbag,
Yes, I know about her husband. But I was reading somewhere that she got the last term because she agreed that would be it. I thought they'd said 4 years; obviously I got that wrong.

Want a laugh? Watch the following, sent to me this morning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn_NBCyr907/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2023 09:15 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
We won't see an apology, and the Republicans think they drove Nancy out of leadership. What a bunch of macho-asshats, vote for me or we will sneak in your house and beat your 82 year old spouse or grandfather in the head with a hammer. And then the sorry asses claim they are patriots.

Just to add insult to injury, Mitt Romney's daughter was one of the many that somehow thinks head injuries are somewhat of a hoot.

Yeah, Ronna epitomizes what that party has become. It is not unlike biker gangs or Nazis who celebrate and encourage brutality against a designated enemy.
0 Replies