Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:08 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
This reminds me of Putin exposing Obama's funding of IS in Syria.

No such funding.

Mr. Obama was the person who destroyed Islamic State.

I'm not entirely sure of the wisdom of that move. To me Assad was the greater evil. But I do admit that the world is a better place without Islamic State beheading innocent people.

Builder wrote:
But Vlad did warn also about NATO expansion plans into Ukraine.

When NATO expands into Ukraine, it will be Russia's own fault.
hightor

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:45 am
@Lash,
I noticed you said he was a "democrat", not a "Democrat". Good. He switched his party affiliation five times as he attempted to ingratiate himself with the prevailing political winds in the NY metropolitan area.

Quote:
Mr. Trump registered for the first time in New York as a Republican in July 1987, only to dump the GOP more than a decade later for the Independence Party in October 1999, according to the New York City Board of Elections.

In August 2001, the billionaire enrolled as a Democrat. Eight years later, he returned to the Republican Party, The Smoking Gun reported.

After only two years as a registered Republican, Mr. Trump left the party again, and in December 2011 marked a box that indicated, “I do not wish to enroll in a party.”

Mr. Trump returned to the GOP in April 2012, The Smoking Gun reported.

source

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 10:59 am
@oralloy,
I truly appreciate your posts when they are clear and factual, even when we disagree. I happen to agree with you on this.

For what it's worth, I did thumb you up.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:02 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Fook mee.

As you wish, with a length of someone else's 4x4".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:06 am
@Region Philbis,
Truly fucked up situation.

Warnock will win, but the GOP will be whiney overtime over an illusionary "steal".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:13 am
@blatham,
We were in AZ from last Wednesday till Sunday and got back yesterday. Dirtiest, dirtiest campaigns, ever. And New Mexico was right behind them.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:21 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm a bit disappointed that our state legislators were able to trick our voters into weakening term limits.

Reasonable comment. But wrong minded. We have a great way to limit terms - VOTE. Most term limit supporters seem to want to term limit everybody else's representatives, anyway.

Didn't thumb you down.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

There is never any shame in voting for the good guys.

Ignoring his athletic career, what about this guy impresses you so much? I'm a Republican. It is a shame that there hasn't been a candidate for me to vote for national office in 30 years.

Even Romney went for the lowest common denominator. He's supposed to lead, not pander. The GOP compromised John McCain. W was a nice guy I'd drink a beer with (if Laura would let him), but he was no administrator, he delegated responsibility to exactly the wrong people.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:35 am
I see that Slotkin was re-elected. Good. She's very sharp and ethical.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:42 am
@Builder,
What it really reminds me of is how US troops kicked the living **** out of regular Russian troops, Wagner, and their Syrian "special forces" support in Syria. Utterly wiped them out with VERY few casualties.

Just plain fucked the bear up. Jacked him up, bro. Wiped them the **** out and sent them home in boxes, went way far over decimating them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:50 am
@blatham,
The red wave failed to materialise.

But Trump will hardly admit defeat without first stirring up a gigantic mudslinging match. The coming months are likely to be fierce among Republicans. Trump still has a lot of supporters, a lot of money and a lot of influence.
If the Republicans are really unlucky, Trump's downfall will only drag the entire party further into the abyss.

What remains, however, is a deeply divided U.S.A. .
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hopefully Trump and DeSantis will tear each other to pieces.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 12:03 pm
So in one hand, the Red Wave didn't happen despite historical midterm trends, most (maybe all?) of Trump’s endosed candidates in heated races lost, and a few states legalized abortion.

On the other hand, Texas and Florida are now definitely solidly red states (as opposed to just being the occasional swing states) after both Republican governors firmly won their races, and it will likely take a few days to count the absentee votes for the tight races to determine the fate of the US Congress.

Frankly, I'm just happy Oz lost the Senate race in Pennsylvania.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 12:10 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:

Frankly, I'm just happy Oz lost the Senate race in Pennsylvania.

Even gladder that Fettermann won.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
If the Republicans are really unlucky, Trump's downfall will only drag the entire party further into the abyss.
Such unluckiness (if you're speaking of electoral failures) for them would redound as very good fortune for everyone else (and ironically even for them).

Quote:
What remains, however, is a deeply divided U.S.A. .

And that's such an interesting question or phenomenon. It's obviously a complicated matter but I do think one element has gotten to little attention: the breakup of the USSR which had previously provided an outlet for the us versus them psychology of, particularly, the right wing mind. It was at this point where Republican agitprop became increasingly directed towards "liberals" (Pat Buchanan was the avatar for this framing). It's not surprising that so many poorly educated and misinformed right wing types (even here in Canada) label liberal notions and liberal political parties as Marxist or as communists.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 02:28 pm
Quote:
Right Wing Watch @RightWingWatch
5h
Michele Bachmann says the election results are "crashingly disappointing" because right-wing Christians spent the last two year praying, repenting, preaching, and mobilizing: "This really should have been a wave election, and now it doesn't even look like we're dog paddling."

Curious electoral result after all that Christian Right effort.

I'm going to go out on a limb here with a theory that Jesus wasn't impressed with the sincerity and honesty of that repenting element.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:25 pm
Do you think this Fox News opinion piece might upset a certain someone?
Quote:
Ron DeSantis is the new Republican Party leader
Republicans are ready to move on without Donald Trump
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:43 pm
@blatham,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhJq8aKXoAQNj9c?format=jpg&name=900x900
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 03:46 pm
@blatham,
And other than Rick Scott, I can't think of anyone short of Ginni Thomas who would be more disastrous to the GOP or whatever it is that passes for the GOP.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 04:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Do you mean DeSantis?