Quote:
No wonder the world is laughing.

At you.

Good night, Builder.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 05:35 am
A Great Prognosticator wrote:
Election day is at hand and we'll know soon enough the magnitude of the mid term reversal reversal that will result.

Yeah. And it doesn't really look all that different. No "Red Wave". Obviously enough people saw through GOP attempts to link Joe Biden to every problem confronting the country and many still prefer the way Democrats govern.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:03 am
@hightor,
What I'd give to overhear conversations in the Alito and Thomas households last night and today.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:07 am

GA is hurdling toward another run-off , due to the libertarian candidate taking votes from both sides...

the folks who voted for Walker should be ashamed of themselves!
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:16 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:

Quote:
Jane of the North @JaneotN
3h
88% of Evangelicals voted for Walker over Rev. Warnock, because Evangelicals aren’t a religious organization, but a political block. And it’s big business. They love money and money answers their prayers. The cult keeps the masses in check. It’s the dark ages but with wifi.

Warnock's life has been centered around his Christian faith while Walker's life has been centered around a football career, ******* and financial support for the abortion industry.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:28 am
In Michigan, with Grechen Whitmer being re-elected and Dems flipping both chambers, the state now is fully Dem led for the first time in 40 years.
hightor

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:34 am
I'm disappointed that Ryan wasn't able to beat Vance. I was hoping that a win by him might give his presidential run a boost. But locally, the results have been great. Governor Mills beat back a challenge by the former Republican governor, a real piece of **** who lives in Florida, and Dems still control both houses of the legislature.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:39 am
@blatham,
Quote:
In Michigan, with Grechen Whitmer being re-elected and Dems flipping both chambers, the state now is fully Dem led for the first time in 40 years.

Outrageous! Two years of GOP efforts to make voting secure and Democrats are still stealing elections. High profile ones at that!
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 06:56 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Two years of GOP efforts to make voting secure and Democrats are still stealing elections

Clearly they need to get more Proud Boys out photographing voter drop boxes with iPhones attached to the barrels of their AK47s.

And yeah, Ryan's loss was a disappointment. He's a good one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 07:12 am
Quote:
At the Arizona G.O.P.’s Election Night party on Tuesday evening, the vibes were off. The manicured grounds of the Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch were full of women in red cocktail dresses and men in baseball caps, chatting over a playlist whose theme seemed to be defiance (“Survivor,” “We’re Not Gonna Take It”). But the Fox News broadcast was being projected on large screens, and its tone was markedly uncelebratory. In an interminable line for drinks, a man in a black polo shirt watched as a newscaster noted that Ron DeSantis was poised to win his race handily for governor of Florida. “Maybe I’ll move to Fort Lauderdale,” the man said. The news from Arizona was not so encouraging; the Democratic gubernatorial candidate Katie Hobbs was leading Kari Lake by a sizable margin. “If they keep stealing them, we’re going to have to take it by force,” he said to another man behind him in line, who nodded.
here

But just coincidental. There's no causal relationship between Trump's and right wing media voices like Carlson/Hannity/Bannon ceaselessly promoting the lie of a stolen election and what happened on Jan 6. Totally unrelated.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 07:27 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Outrageous! Two years of GOP efforts to make voting secure and Democrats are still stealing elections. High profile ones at that!

That's true enough. Something needs to be done to stop progressive cheating.

Either that or Republicans need to start cheating.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 07:29 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Hmmm. The source of the Michigan legislature call is certainly reputable.

But most of the reputable race callers still consider the control of the Michigan legislature completely up in the air.

We'll see.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 07:59 am
@oralloy,
I'm a bit disappointed that our state legislators were able to trick our voters into weakening term limits.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:07 am
WP Columnist Marc Thiessen on Fox last night...
Quote:
[The midterm results are] “a searing indictment of the Republican Party ... The Republican Party needs to do a really deep introspection look in the mirror right now because this is an absolute disaster."

Well, yeah, I suppose so. They probably need more of this...
Quote:
Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ): “[Speaker Nancy Pelosi] is losing the gavel but finding the hammer. Too soon? Is that too soon?”

If any of you folks read this guy's columns in the Post, you'll probably grasp that Thiessen's chances of "a really deep introspection of the Republican Party" isn't likely as he personally manifests much of what has happened to his party. His "awareness" of something wrong arrives courtesy of electoral failure rather than any evident awareness of the profoundly immoral trajectory of American conservatism over a period of decades culminating in Donald Trump and Jan 6.

The only thing - the ONLY thing - which might save these people is a longer series of electoral losses. And that's the only hope for America.
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:25 am
The trends I expected did happen, but not at the scale to cause notable effects yesterday.

See where demographics shifted.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/politics/exit-polls-2022-midterm-2018-shift/

Excerpt:

When Democrats took control of the House after the 2018 election, a little more than half of voters were women and the party had a huge advantage among them. Even though women represented a similar majority of voters in 2022, Democrats’ lead appears to be cut noticeably. Additionally, in 2022, Republicans grew their support among men.

Early exit polls confirmed that Americans do support abortion rights. Only a little more than a third of voters said abortion should be illegal in all or most cases. But while Republicans in the House won the support of nearly all of the voters who oppose abortion rights, they also got the support of a quarter of the voters who said it should be legal.

By age
Democrats lost support among younger voters in 2022 compared with 2018. Republicans won older voters.
—————————
Much more at the link.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:33 am
I am reasonably happy this morning with the election, even though there is a still a slight chance senate might still go to the republicans, but not a super majority it looks like. But republicans regaining the senate will hurt nonetheless. I am happy there was no red wave regardless. So, so far it's a confusing state of happiness, I guess.

In surprising news, KY voters rejected amendment two, which would have said the state constitution to give no right to abortion or funds to pay for one. Not sure what good those ballot questions do other than giving an idea where voters stand on specific issues.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 08:54 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

There is never any shame in voting for the good guys.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:04 am
Quote:
Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
Replying to @benshapiro
5. Candidate quality matters -- underlying dynamics are not strong enough to drive bad candidates to victory.
6. Donald Trump was a major drag on Republicans, from his picks to his antics.

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro
Trump picked bad candidates, spent almost no money on his hand-picked candidates, and then proceeded to crap on the Republicans who lost and didn't sufficiently bend the knee. This will have 2024 impact.

I always knew. Said it to many people. Trump is not a real conservative, I said.
Lash

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 09:07 am
@blatham,
He had been a democrat before he calculated which party he’d play best to.