Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Builder

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2022 02:28 am
@snood,
Quote:
I saw an explanation for what motivates Trump supporters that rang absolutely true.

I get tired of reiterating, but I don't support Trump, or anything right-wing, for that matter, but we all do understand just how compromised the tiers of power have become, in the almighty US of A, and we also know just how compromised your current puppet is, and was, and will be.

Interesting times we happen to be experiencing, and it's not just in your neck of the woods.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2022 02:51 am
Don't bother reiterating anything.

We're sick and tired of reading your moronic drivel.

We get it, you're an attention seeking loser who spouts antisemitic nonsense and lies about your hero Trump.

You have nothing intelligent or insightful to say yet continue hanging round like a bad smell.

Isn't there a forum of similarly minded nonces you could hang out with because you'renot wanted here.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 08:13 am
Jan. 6 Panel Unveils Election Guardrails To Prevent Future MAGA Election Steal
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 08:16 am
Special Master Has Already Undercut Trump’s Classified Doc Game
BillW

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 12:25 pm
@revelette1,
From what I have seen regarding Trump and the "Special Master", Trump as gone.so far now that I can see him being locked up. He has gone past his ability to declare innocence to view of the common man, ie, everybody else would have been locked up by now!
snood

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 01:18 pm
@BillW,
That’s the problem, and the elephant in the room that’s staring at Merrick Garland…

“Everybody else would have been locked up by now.”
BillW

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 02:45 pm
@snood,
snood, I am thinking maybe if Trump shows up in court with this special master, Judge Raymond Dearie, he might just request Trump be locked up and then everything can be sorted out later. I am halfway joking, but this is the 1st adult Trump has had to deal with in years.

The lock up part is really just a wish I have, but I really really really do wish it would happen!
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 03:06 pm
@BillW,
I know what you mean. Living where I am in SW Kentucky, in my particular county, it went overwhelmingly Trump and I have seen no signs of anyone being convinced of anything except Trump is "persecuted and put upon, poor Trump."

Nevertheless, like you, I wish he would get what has coming to him way back to the first impeachment and let the MAGA crowd think what it wants, as long as that is all they do.
snood

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2022 04:39 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Nevertheless, like you, I wish he would get what has coming to him way back to the first impeachment and let the MAGA crowd think what it wants, as long as that is all they do.

If you had a crystal ball and could foresee that the MAGAs would stage large, violent, deadly riots if Trump got convicted, would you no longer wish for his conviction and imprisonment?
revelette1

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2022 07:37 am
@snood,
Yes, I still would. I imagine that if such an unlikely event happened, those in power and intelligence would be planning countermeasures to any mob violence if it is directed towards government buildings and institutions.

All I mean was, people are entitled to their opinions and expressing them, (at least so far) just not acting violently on them.
Builder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 02:41 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
All I mean was, people are entitled to their opinions and expressing them

Exactly, and I agree totally. Perhaps that pomgolian git needs to understand this.
hightor

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 02:44 am
@Builder,
Perhaps you need to go to bed.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 03:01 am
Quote:
Russian president Vladimir Putin announced today that he is mobilizing the Russian population to fight Ukraine. Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu put that number at 300,000 soldiers. At the same time, the legislature abruptly changed the laws to inflict harsh penalties on those who don’t report to military duty, who surrender, or who refuse to fight. Reports suggest that 20–40% of the soldiers from some units have quit.

The cost of airline tickets out of Russia immediately skyrocketed.

Having called for the territories Russia claims to hold referenda on annexation to Russia, and clearly expecting that those votes will call for annexation, Putin also said that “Russia will use all the instruments at its disposal to counter a threat against its territorial integrity—this is not a bluff.” He is arguing that he will consider any Ukrainian attempt to retake its own territory as an attack on Russia and has told his people that the West is responsible for the Ukrainian resistance to Russian conquest. He is threatening to use nuclear weapons to conquer Ukraine, in what seems an admission that Russia is on the ropes.

Putin began his attack on Ukraine in late February with the expectation it would be short and decisive. More than six months later, the Russian economy is in tatters, the armies are collapsing, and the future of Putin’s administration is uncertain.

President Joe Biden responded in a speech before the United Nations General Assembly in New York. He reminded his audience that the Ukraine crisis was “a brutal, needless war—a war chosen by one man…. This world should see these outrageous acts for what they are. Putin claims he had to act because Russia was threatened. But no one threatened Russia, and no one other than Russia sought conflict.”

Biden urged the world to stand firm against Russia’s aggression and reiterated that “the United States is opening an era of relentless diplomacy to address the challenges that matter most to people’s lives—all people’s lives: tackling the climate crisis… strengthening global health security; feeding the world.”

It is no secret, Biden said, “that in the contest between democracy and autocracy, the United States—and I, as President—champion a vision for our world that is grounded in the values of democracy.”

Midday, today, New York attorney general Letitia James announced that her office has filed a $250 million civil lawsuit against Donald Trump, the Trump Organization, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump, and two executives from the company—Allan Weisselberg and Jeff McConney—accusing them of years of fraudulent financial practices, lying to banks about the value of their assets by billions of dollars while undervaluing those same properties for tax purposes.

The investigation began more than three years ago when Trump’s fixer, Michael Cohen, testified under oath that Trump lied about the value of his properties to get better loan terms and lower taxes. The instances James identified today were eye-popping. Mar-a-Lago is worth around $75 million; Trump valued it at $739 million based on its potential for development even though Trump himself had signed deeds sharply restricting that development. Rental units worth $750,000 were valued at nearly $50 million.

“The pattern of fraud that was used by Mr. Trump and the Trump organization for their own financial benefit was astounding,” James said.

Forced to testify in the investigation last month, Trump refused to answer questions, invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination more than 440 times. In a civil trial, jurors can draw negative inferences from a witness taking the Fifth. Last month, James rejected an offer from the Trump Organization to settle the case.

The suit seeks to recover the profits from the scheme, to ban the Trumps from engaging in real estate transactions for five years, and to prohibit Trump or his children from running any business licensed in New York state. James also filed a criminal referral to federal prosecutors and a tax fraud referral to the IRS.

If the suit succeeds, it will devastate the Trump Organization.

Then tonight, in a major victory for the Department of Justice, a three-judge panel from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta ruled that Judge Aileen Cannon’s lower court “abused its discretion” when it temporarily banned the Justice Department from using the roughly 100 documents with classification markings in its criminal investigation of the former president.

The decision was unanimous. Two of the three judges on the panel were appointed by Trump.

At issue are the documents Trump stole from the U.S. government when he left the White House. All of those documents belong to the U.S. government—that is, the American people—but some of them are classified, some at the highest level of classification.

Today’s struggle is not over the 184 classified documents in the first 15 boxes of material Trump returned to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in January 2022, or the 38 additional classified documents recovered after a subpoena. It’s about the 100 or more documents with classified markings FBI agents recovered from Mar-a-Lago on August 8.

Trump wanted a special master to determine if any of the documents recovered on August 8 actually belonged to him or were protected by attorney-client privilege, and a court to rule that until the special master had reviewed the documents, the Department of Justice could not use them in a criminal investigation of the former president.

On Labor Day, Judge Cannon agreed with Trump, so the Justice Department asked for the part of her decision that involved the classified documents to be stopped, since it could not untangle the criminal investigation from the investigation into the damage the national security had suffered from this breach. She refused, but today’s decision gave the DOJ what it wanted.

“For our part, we cannot discern why Plaintiff would have an individual interest in or need for any of the one-hundred documents with classification markings,” it said. “Classified documents…are ‘owned by, produced by or for, or…under the control of the United States Government’... and “they include information the ‘unauthorized disclosure [of which] could reasonably be expected to cause identifiable or describable damage to the national security.’” It continued: Trump “has not even attempted to show that he has a need to know the information contained in the classified documents.”

It noted that while Trump “suggests that he may have declassified these documents when he was President,” “the record contains no evidence that any of these records were declassified,” and that yesterday, Trump’s lawyers “resisted providing any evidence that he had declassified any of these documents.” The U.S., the court said, “would suffer irreparable injury” if the bar on using the documents for a criminal investigation stays in place, because that investigation is “inextricably intertwined” with the ongoing national security review. The government needs to figure out who saw the documents, whether they were compromised, and what else might be missing.

This afternoon, before the ruling, in an interview on the Fox News Channel, Trump said: “I declassified the documents when they left the White House…. There doesn’t have to be a process as I understand it. You’re the president of the United States, you can declassify…even by thinking about it.” (In fact, there is a process for declassification.) He also suggested that the archivists at NARA are “a radical left group of people” who were hiding documents, and that maybe the FBI was looking “for the Hillary Clinton emails” when they searched Mar-a-Lago.

Also today, CNN reported that Ginni Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, who was active in the effort to overturn the results of the 2020 election, will speak to the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol.

To prevent any future attempt to overturn an election, the House today passed a fix to the Electoral Count Act, making it clear the vice president cannot refuse to count certified electors and making it harder for congress members to object to those certified ballots. The vote was 229 to 203. Only nine Republicans, most of whom are retiring or who lost their primaries, joined the Democrats to pass the measure.

hcr
revelette1

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 10:53 am
@hightor,
I am glad the appeals court ruled in favor of the DOJ, I hope justice and good of our security of the US remains and won't be overturned by another appeals court.

I really liked what they said about Judge Cannon and her ruling.

Quote:
A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit was rather unsparing in unanimously granting the Justice Department a reprieve from Cannon’s order barring them from reviewing documents with classified markings seized from Mar-a-Lago. The stay is temporary, but the reasoning is firm.

They repeatedly rejected not just the Trump legal team’s lack of arguments, but also Cannon’s acceptance of them. Indeed, they suggested it was inexplicable that Cannon ruled for Trump even by her own logic.

The ruling really kicks into gear when the judges address what a 1977 Supreme Court case considered the “foremost consideration” in deciding whether a court such as Cannon’s should exercise jurisdiction in such a case: whether the government “displayed a callous disregard for … constitutional rights” in its seizure.

The judges say Cannon conceded that it hadn’t displayed such disregard, but then disregarded that consideration all the same — and say she thus “abused” her “discretion.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-thorough-rebuke-of-judge-aileen-cannon-s-pro-trump-order/ar-AA127mSU?cvid=f746f6b8353b4ee9be333525fa2c7cc1&ocid=winp2sv1plustaskbarhover

(I am always out of free articles on the Washington Post and NYT.)
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:38 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I am glad the appeals court ruled in favor of the DOJ, I hope justice and good of our security of the US remains and won't be overturned by another appeals court.

I really liked what they said about Judge Cannon and her ruling.

The next move will be to SCOTUS - and, you can bet Trump will eventually want to go there. I don't worry a lot that Trump can get a majority of SCOTUS on what amounts to acts of a common criminal!
snood

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 12:00 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

I don't worry a lot that Trump can get a majority of SCOTUS on what amounts to acts of a common criminal!

Seriously?

If we EVER had a Supreme Court that should worry us, it’s this one. This 6-3 conservative court, with three handpicked Trump lackeys.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 12:04 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

BillW wrote:

I don't worry a lot that Trump can get a majority of SCOTUS on what amounts to acts of a common criminal!

Seriously?

If we EVER had a Supreme Court that should worry us, it’s this one. This 6-3 conservative court, with three handpicked Trump lackeys.

I still do not think they would waste their time and honor on the likes of Donald Trump - except, of course, Thomas! But, he lost his honor a long time ago.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 01:04 pm
@Builder,
So, this tier of power has only been compromised by the current puppet? This tier of power hasn't been compromised previously?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 01:33 pm
[Posted on the gun thread as well.]

For First Time in at Least 25 Years, No Democrat Has Top Grade From N.R.A.
Quote:
The Democratic break from the National Rifle Association is complete: For the first time in at least 25 years, not a single Democrat running for Congress anywhere in the country received an A in the group’s candidate ratings, which were once a powerful influence in U.S. elections.

A New York Times analysis of the N.R.A.’s letter grades for more than 900 general election candidates, the last of which were published this week, identified the milestone. It is the culmination of a yearslong trend of eroding support for the hard-line views of the organization, which retains strong allegiance from Republican candidates but has lost any semblance of bipartisan support.

Of the more than 450 Democrats who will be on House or Senate ballots in November, only one, Representative Jared Golden of Maine, received even a B. Three received C’s, 23 received D’s and 370 — 81 percent of the total — received F’s. (The rest received a “?” rating, meaning they had no public record on gun policy or had made contradictory statements.)

The numbers were even starker among the roughly 200 Democrats running for re-election, 98 percent of whom received F’s.

There were more defections from the party line among Republicans, though they were still in the single digits: One, Representative Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, received an F, and seven, including four incumbents, received D’s. Notably, 24 percent of Republican candidates received a “?” rating, a mark the N.R.A. says “often indicates indifference, if not outright hostility,” to gun rights.

That amount has increased sharply among Republicans; it was 11 percent a decade ago. By contrast, “?” grades among Democrats declined over the same period to 13 percent from 33 percent. Many Democrats used to avoid going on the record about guns out of fear of the N.R.A.’s well-funded backlash.

All told, of 926 major-party candidates on House and Senate ballots this year, 36 percent received A’s and 40 percent received F’s, making 2022 the third election in a row in which the N.R.A. assigned more F’s than A’s.

While Republicans have always supported the N.R.A. in larger numbers, it was not long ago that the group also had meaningful Democratic backing: In 2012, 70 Democrats running for the House or Senate received A’s. That is now unheard-of. The last Democratic incumbent with an A rating was Collin Peterson of Minnesota in 2020, when he lost re-election.

Most incumbents received the same grade this year as the last time they ran, which is typical. Only 14 saw their grades change, seven in each direction.

Almost all of those incumbents were Republican: the seven who were upgraded and six of the seven who were downgraded. (The one Democrat was Representative Sanford D. Bishop Jr. of Georgia, who went from a C to an F; as recently as 2018, he had received an A and an N.R.A. endorsement.) The downgraded Republicans — Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Marco Rubio of Florida and Todd Young of Indiana, and Representatives Steve Chabot of Ohio, Tony Gonzales of Texas and David Joyce of Ohio — all went from A’s to B’s.

Mr. Rubio’s new grade reflected his decision to endorse limited gun restrictions after the Parkland, Fla., shooting in 2018. (Since senators receive ratings only when they run for re-election, this is the first year in which he has been graded since 2016.)

The other Republicans who were downgraded voted for the bipartisan gun bill that passed in June. It was the first time in nearly three decades that Congress — long held in check by N.R.A. lobbying — passed any significant restriction on guns.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 02:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
So, this tier of power has only been compromised by the current puppet?

Any pretense at democratic process should be dropped completely, if the party decides who is leading the nation; should it not?