Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 10:02 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

First and foremost because anybody with a brain their heads can see he murdered George Floyd, plain as day.

Which is why jury selection is so problematic, who can find an impartial juror with all the evidence that’s already out there?
revelette3

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 12:41 pm
@izzythepush,
It couldn't have been more obvious than if someone shot an unarmed man or woman in the back on TV, which also gets explained or excused away in our country. Once the trial finally gets underway the usual right wing bigots will find a way to justify Chauvin grinding his knee on George Floyd's lungs for eight minutes on TV.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 12:57 pm
8 minutes and 46 seconds
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 01:12 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
For three reasons, I hope in the end, the jury of the Chauvin trial returns with a verdict of guilty.

Guilty of what charge? I'm having trouble seeing the case for second degree murder. The case for third degree murder is more clear cut.

revelette3 wrote:
It gives more ammunition to the bigoted right who always come out on the wrong side of justice

It's actually the left who are bigoted and on the wrong side of justice.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 01:23 pm
Congress adopts $1.9 trillion stimulus, securing first major win for Biden

Quote:
Congress approved a sweeping $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package on Wednesday, authorizing a flurry of new federal spending and a temporary yet dramatic increase in anti-poverty programs to help millions of families still struggling amid the pandemic.

The 220-211 vote in the House of Representatives almost entirely along party lines now sends to Biden’s desk one of the largest economic rescue packages in U.S. history, which Democrats had promised to pass as one of their first acts of governance after securing narrow but potent majorities in Washington after the 2020 presidential election.
-----
The bill now heads to Biden, who is expected to sign it Friday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said. The signing comes a day after the president is set to deliver his first prime-time television address on the country’s response to the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/10/house-stimulus-biden-covid-relief-checks/
oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 01:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You could just as easily have put that: securing last major win for Biden.

It's going to be awhile before reconciliation can be used again.
blatham

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 01:51 pm
@hightor,
Two fine posts, my man.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 02:10 pm
Senate confirms Merrick Garland as Biden's attorney general

Quote:
The Senate on Wednesday voted to confirm Merrick Garland's nomination to be U.S. Attorney General, handing the reins of the Justice Department over to a longtime federal judge who's pledged to de-politicize the agency.

He was confirmed by a vote of 70 to 30.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/senate-confirms-merrick-garland-biden-s-attorney-general-n1260461
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 02:15 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Two fine posts, my man.

They were quotes
Builder

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2021 04:39 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It's going to be awhile before reconciliation can be used again.

You were correct in a former post, saying that Pelosi would be in charge of the nation, if it were a parliamentary system, and she's clearly the string puller with puppet Biden. Though Kamala seems a bit confused about who is "boss".

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 09:54 am
@snood,
Yes, I'm well aware of that, my good fellow.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 09:54 am
The mess that Biden’s EPA chief Michael Regan will inherit, explained
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 10:26 am
Four years ago, I wrote here that American democracy was facing a political catastrophe and the only thing I could imagine that might save it would be some different sort of national catastrophe. Of course, the covid pandemic became such a catastrophe.

I recognize now that I hadn't really thought this through very well. My concerns at the time related to the hold on power by a corrupt GOP aided and pushed along by a corrupt right wing media universe. A catastrophe, I thought, could shake things up enough to alter the course of events and balance of power. But, I guess because I was so focused on the issue of power, I hadn't thought much at all about what might follow such a reshuffle or realignment. What might this new political equation look like?

As it turns out - or at least what looks to be turning out now - is a general (and highly welcome) shift in popular sentiment towards a renewed appreciation in the role of government and social programs in aiding citizens' access to a better life for all. Or, to say it a different way, to shift citizen views back in the direction of the traditional liberal consensus of government's role. The following opinion piece in the NYT speaks to this... https://nyti.ms/3tngS67
revelette3

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 10:32 am
@blatham,
I haven't seen you around here in a while. I hope you are doing ok, I know you have had some health issues in the past.

I clicked on your link but I didn't get an article, just kind of pretty background with a message like this:

Quote:
Across America, the past year
has seen once-unimaginable experiments in
housing, criminal justice, education and more.
They have worked out pretty well.

I am not quite sure how they can say that yet, it seems premature to me.
hightor

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 10:43 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
I clicked on your link but I didn't get an article...

Did you try to scroll down, rev?

Quote:
Last spring, as a poorly understood virus swept the planet­, something remarkable happened: Across the country, all levels of government put in place policies that just a few months earlier would have been seen by most people — not to mention most politicians — as radical and politically naïve.

Nearly 70 percent of states ordered bans on utility shut-offs, and more than half did so for evictions. Mayors authorized car-free streets to make cities safer for pedestrians, and the federal government nearly tripled the average unemployment benefit. Within weeks, states eliminated extortionist medical co-pays for prisoners and scrapped bail. New Jersey passed a bill that released more than 2,200 incarcerated people all at once.

The pandemic has been a long nightmare, but those were progressive pipe dreams turned reality. The arrival of the coronavirus, along with the wide-scale economic shutdowns to slow its spread, forced American policymakers to admit that a new world wasn’t just possible — it was necessary.

While the United States ultimately failed to deliver a coordinated response to the pandemic and millions of people are still struggling, there are important lessons here. Over the past several months, I’ve interviewed dozens of activists and policy professionals who have recounted stories of politics shifting quickly on issues they have worked on for years. Measures that were once viewed as likely to cause a spike in crime or a collapse of the housing market, or that were considered just too expensive or simply impractical have, in fact, worked out pretty well.

(...)

nyt

There's more.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 10:48 am
@revelette3,
Hi rev... I'm fine, thanks. Just on sabbatical. I trust hightor's tip worked for you?
revelette3

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 11:13 am
@blatham,
Yes, sometimes I can be so dense at simple things. Thanks hightor. I am glad you were only on a sabbatical. I do that sometimes, but I am somewhat of a drama queen when I get down in the dumps and announce I am quitting only to after a few weeks or months (maybe) come back.

In regards to the article. I sure hope there is a continued focus on investing our in country's people to improve our overall growth of our country. But we have greedy and selfish people who think it is good to be that way and manage to make it sound that way to the very people more liberal people are trying to help. A vicious circle.
blatham

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 11:25 am
@revelette3,
We's all imperfect.

I'm now watching to see whether Manchin and Sinema can be cajoled into sanity on the filibuster. That's citical.
hightor

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 11:56 am
Quote:
...and she's [Pelosi] clearly the string puller with puppet Biden.

I'd like to see some actual evidence for this observation. Because it just sounds like a typical Republican cheap shot. So what exactly is Pelosi compelling Biden to do that he wouldn't already be doing? As chief executive he has his own staff — so they all just roll over and let the Speaker (who already has a lot of legislative responsibilities) go over their heads, allowing her to control the president's agenda? The only thing clearly seen here is the childish Republican obsession with Pelosi, who apparently frightens them:
Quote:
This Radical Feminist Witch is just about as Evil as they come. This Jezebel hides in plain sight, just as all wolves in sheep’s clothing do, with the cloak of religion, Catholicism, draped over her putrid flesh!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2021 12:23 pm
@hightor,
0 Replies