Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Builder

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 09:54 pm
@neptuneblue,
The truth does not mind being questioned.

A lie does not tolerate being challenged.
MontereyJack

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 10:39 pm
@Builder,
that was pretty much trump's policy for the 30,000 lies he told in office. Unquestioning obedience to everything he said was all he would tolerate.
MontereyJack

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 10:50 pm
@oralloy,
ez are in demo hands, even if narrowly, so ther'e only so much the gopcan do to **** things up now.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 10:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Unquestioning obedience to everything he said

Here's a clue; Trump isn't your president at this point in time.

Kamala Harris is the un-elected leader of the US of A.

Creepy Joe wouldn't know his hat from his sock, at this point in time.
roger

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 11:28 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Unquestioning obedience to everything he said

Here's a clue; Trump isn't your president at this point in time.

I'm glad you picked up on that.
Builder

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 11:40 pm
@roger,
And I'm sorry you ignored the rest of my post.
BillW

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 11:45 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

And I'm sorry you ignored the rest of my post.

User ignored (view)
glitterbag

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 11:58 pm
@BillW,
I didn't realize Builder still posted here. Does he say anything an American would find interesting or enlightening?
BillW

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 12:09 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I didn't realize Builder still posted here. Does he say anything an American would find interesting or enlightening?

No, that's the reason I ignore him/her - unless someone else quotes her/him. And, I'm sure that is including a Maorian, Aboriginal, Diak, Bukittinggian, Togolese, Javanese, Balinese or even any other Aussie as well as an American!
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 06:42 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
The truth does not mind being questioned.

A lie does not tolerate being challenged.

I get that, really I do. But, here's the truth:

Trump challenged the election results . And LOST every single one of them.

"A top Georgia elections official rebutted Trump’s claims. Here’s the Post Fact Checker on the call as well. The acting U.S. attorney for Georgia told his staff Jan. 12 that “there’s just nothing to” claims of election fraud in the state.

Trump’s legal efforts have been struck down in federal cases in Georgia, Michigan, Arizona and Pennsylvania and in state courts in Arizona, Michigan, Nevada and Wisconsin, most recently on Jan. 4 and Jan. 5.

At least 86 judges from across the political spectrum, including some appointed by Trump, have rejected at least one post-election lawsuit filed by Trump or supporters, a Washington Post review found. The count is now up to 96.

The Supreme Court rejected a Texas lawsuit Dec. 11 that sought to void 20 million votes in four other states. The unsigned order found Texas lacked standing to intervene under the Constitution’s Article 3."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/interactive/2020/election-integrity/

I mean, seriously, questioning the results is one thing but being a total ******* nutcase is another.

0 Replies

hightor

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 08:03 am
HRC wrote:
A filibuster permits a senator to stop popular legislation. Initially, it required a senator to hold the floor by refusing to stop talking, which took many, many hours and was exhausting, so it was a last resort to stop something that otherwise would pass (and was almost always used to stop civil rights legislation). But, rules changes over time changed the filibuster to permit a senator to stop legislation simply by threatening to create such a roadblock.

This has meant that the burden of passing legislation has fallen on the majority, which needs to find 60 votes to stop a filibuster rather than a simple majority of 51 to pass a bill, while the role of the minority has simply been to refuse to entertain action. The Senate has largely ceased to legislate. This development has served the Republicans, who are happy not to pass legislation because they would like to turn the functions of government over to private interests, but frustrates the Democrats, who think that bills that pass the House of Representatives should get a hearing in the Senate and, if they get a yes vote from a majority of senators, should pass.

There has been resistance to ending the filibuster—including resistance from President Joe Biden—but there is increasing talk of returning the filibuster to its original form, requiring those opposed to a popular measure not simply to register their disapproval in order to take it off the calendar, but actually to hold the floor to talk a measure to death. When they give up, the measure can pass by a simple majority vote.

Reinstating the old system, in which a minority eager to stop passage of a bill must hold the floor and continue debate, has begun to win adherents, including Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV). “The filibuster should be painful, it really should be painful and we've made it more comfortable over the years,” Manchin said yesterday on the Fox News Channel. “Maybe it has to be more painful.”

At stake in this issue in the immediate future is the passage of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, a sweeping voting rights bill passed last week by the House of Representatives. Senate Republicans have vowed to kill the bill. Increasingly unpopular, Republicans are dependent on voter suppression techniques and gerrymandering—both addressed in the bill-- to continue to have a shot at winning elections. In illustration of that need, Republican legislatures across the country are currently trying to pass a slew of voter suppression measures.

For their part, Democrats recognize that if the Republicans’ voter suppression and gerrymandering techniques are allowed to go forward unchallenged, Democrats will be hard pressed ever again to win control of the government. The nation will, in effect, become a one-party state not unlike the one that controlled the American South from the 1870s to the 1960s.

So H.R. 1 spells the future of the American political system: with it, Republicans will have to reform and win elections on a level playing field; without it, Democrats will be unlikely to be able to compete against Republican rigging of the system.

The future of the nation depends on H.R. 1; the future of H.R. 1 depends on the filibuster.

substack
izzythepush

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 08:17 am
@hightor,
We have guillotining motions meaning the government can limit time spent debating and force a vote.

Filibusting only happens with the support of the Government. Meaning a private member’s bill can be talked down, but not a government one.
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 10:12 am
@hightor,
They ought to at least go back to making a senator talk to hold the floor up.

Quote:
Reinstating the old system, in which a minority eager to stop passage of a bill must hold the floor and continue debate, has begun to win adherents, including Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV). “The filibuster should be painful, it really should be painful and we've made it more comfortable over the years,” Manchin said yesterday on the Fox News Channel. “Maybe it has to be more painful.”

Probably the only time I ever agreed with him that I know of.
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 9 Mar, 2021 10:19 am
U.S. House readies final vote on Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 package
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 03:50 am
HRC wrote:
The only big thing I see today is that Bob Smietana of the Religion News Service broke the story that evangelical Beth Moore, a hugely popular leader, has left the Southern Baptist Church. A survivor of sexual assault, Moore objected to her denomination’s support for Trump in light of the Access Hollywood tapes in which he boasted of sexual assault. She has increasingly parted ways with church leaders and now has announced that she is leaving the denomination. Her departure could lead a number of women out of that church.

The departure of a leader from the Southern Baptist Church sparked by opposition to Trump and church support for him indicates the growing split in the Republican Party. Trump today continued his attempt to undercut the Republican National Committee by hamstringing its fundraising. He issued a statement saying that while he “fully” supports the Republican Party, “I do not support RINOS [Republicans in Name Only] and fools, and it is not their right to use my likeness or image to raise funds.” He urged people to donate to his own political action committee to help the America First movement. “We will WIN, and we will WIN BIG!” he wrote. “Our Country is being destroyed by the Democrats!”

The party split is intense enough that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who is pro-Trump at this point, declined to appear today with Republican conference leader Liz Cheney, who said last week that Trump had no future in the party.

Meanwhile, Illinois Representative Adam Kinzinger, a Republican, is pushing back against the former president, calling him desperate to remain relevant. Kinzinger says his goal is to rebuild the Republican Party, reclaiming it from Trump and fearmongering and divisiveness to become a conservative party again. “I think part of saving the Republican Party is just being really clear about what the Republican Party has become,” Kinzinger told Jeff Zeleny of CNN. “We have such a great history, I think, but now we’re off the rails.”

Republican lawmakers are planning to get around their unpopularity by suppressing the vote. Iowa’s Republican Governor Kim Reynolds yesterday signed into law what election lawyer Marc Elias called the “first major suppression law since the 2020 election.” Among other things, it shortens early voting and seriously restricts mail-in voting. Today, the League of United Latin American Citizens of Iowa sued to keep much of the law from being enforced. The lawsuit calls the new measure “a cynical manipulation of the electoral process.”

Elias has been in the courts defending the security of the election since the 2020 election, pushing back against the lawsuit designed to delegitimize President Biden’s election. Now he has turned his efforts to trying to hold at bay the voter suppression laws being pushed by Republican legislatures around the country.

“I am very worried about the future of our Democracy,” he tweeted.

He told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow: “I am begging America and the media to pay attention to this. Right now we are facing an avalanche of voter suppression that we have not seen before, at least not since Jim Crow. In state after state—it’s not just Iowa; it’s not just Georgia; it’s not just Arizona… It’s also Montana. It’s also Missouri. It’s also Florida. It’s also Texas. The list goes on and on. Donald Trump told a Big Lie that led to an assault on democracy in the Capitol on January 6. The assaults we’re seeing going on now in state capitols with the legislatures may be less deadly, and be less violent, but they are every bit as damaging to our democracy.”

substack
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 06:24 am
New images released of suspect in pipe bombs found at RNC, DNC before Capitol riot

Quote:
The FBI is asking for the public's help to find the person who left pipe bombs at the Republican National Committee and the Democratic National Committee the night before the Jan. 6 Capitol riot in Washington.

Newly released video shows what the FBI says is the suspected bomber walking with a backpack and carrying what investigators believe are pipe bombs to their targets.
-----
In addition to the suspect's shoes and clothing, the FBI is asking the public to consider whether anyone they know may have exhibited a recent interest in making explosive black powder or may have purchased any of the components of the bomb, including the white kitchen timers used in constructing the devices.

The videos also show the suspect's manner of walking, or gait, which investigators hope someone may recognize. It remains unclear if the suspect is a man or a woman.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-releases-images-dc-pipe-bomb-suspect/story?id=76341036

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/fbi-pipe-bomb-wanted-poster-ht-jc-210309_1615319125062_hpEmbed_1_1x1_992.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 06:39 am
Biden's name will not appear on 'memo line' on stimulus checks: White House

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden’s name will not appear on the memo line of stimulus checks that will be issued to most Americans following passage of his coronavirus aid bill, the White House said on Tuesday.

Then-President Donald Trump had asked that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) put his name on the first round of stimulus checks issued during the COVID-19 pandemic last year.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said doing so was not a priority for Biden.

“The president will not appear on the line of the check,” she told reporters. “It will be signed by the career official. This is not about him. This is about the American people getting relief.”

Biden is expected to sign the $1.9 trillion aid bill as soon as this week after the House of Representatives takes up the bill on Wednesday. The chamber, which is controlled by Biden’s fellow Democrats, is expected to approve the bill along party lines.

Psaki said they are working to get $1,400 payments to most Americans included in the bill out as soon as possible. The first payments will go out this month to people who have direct deposit set up with the IRS, she said.
farmerman

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 06:46 am
@hightor,
AWWWWWWWW. dayum.
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 08:26 am
What happened on the first day of jury selection at the Derek Chauvin trial?

0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 10 Mar, 2021 09:46 am
For three reasons, I hope in the end, the jury of the Chauvin trial returns with a verdict of guilty. First and foremost because anybody with a brain their heads can see he murdered George Floyd, plain as day. Second, we need to prove we are getting more fair in our courts, we need progress, and third but not least, it would terrible to have a another summer of fires and looting so much so that the right justifiable message of the protest get lost and discredited. It gives more ammunition to the bigoted right who always come out on the wrong side of justice and we end up talking about the fires and destruction of people's businesses instead of the murder of George Floyd.