Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 10:35 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
But when I think about what the true believers of Trump might do ...
Republican officials reacted with fury to news of the search.
Quote:
Top Republicans and prominent conservatives reacted with outrage on Monday night to the news that the F.B.I. had searched the private residence of former President Donald J. Trump, with some suggesting that federal agents should be arrested and others hinting that the court-approved law-enforcement action against Mr. Trump was pushing the country toward political chaos.

“I’ve seen enough,” Representative Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader, wrote in a statement that he posted online. “The Department of Justice has reached an intolerable state of weaponized politicization.”

Hinting at a possible congressional investigation into the sitting attorney general if Republicans take control of the House in the midterm elections, Mr. McCarthy added, “Attorney General Garland, preserve your documents and clear your calendar.”

The attacks on the search of Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s beachfront domain in southern Florida, continued a longstanding reflex among his supporters to assail federal law-enforcement officials as biased and corrupt.

Mr. Trump and his allies have relentlessly disparaged the F.B.I. for taking the lead in the investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia. And more recently, the former president’s allies in Congress and the media have sought to deflect blame from him by baselessly depicting the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol as a “false flag” operation run by the bureau and abetted by the Justice Department.

One of the most strident attacks on federal law-enforcement on Monday night came from the Florida state lawmaker Anthony Sabatini, who is running for Congress as a Republican in a district near Orlando.

“It’s time for us in the Florida Legislature to call an emergency legislative session & amend our laws regarding federal agencies,” Mr. Sabatini wrote on Twitter. “Sever all ties with DOJ immediately. Any FBI agent conducting law enforcement functions outside the purview of our State should be arrested upon sight.”

In a post last week, Ric Grenell, who served as Mr. Trump’s acting director of national intelligence, said that if the former president were to be re-elected, he must “clean out the FBI and DOJ.”

The Republican response to the search also sought to instill fear in ordinary people by suggesting that they too could be targeted by federal agents.

“If they can do it to a former President, imagine what they can do to you,” the Twitter account for the House Republican caucus wrote.

On Fox News, the host Jesse Watters described the search of Mr. Trump’s property as “insane” and called for Christopher A. Wray, the director of the F.B.I., to be fired for being “corrupt.”

Other right-wing pundits took an even darker view, hinting that the search of Mar-a-Lago could lead to unrest in the streets.

“There is suddenly a very real risk of violent political instability in this country for the first time in more than 150 years,” Joel B. Pollak, a senior editor at the right-wing outlet Breitbart News, wrote on Twitter.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 11:31 pm
@snood,
I could write many many pages of my concerns and why I have concerns. I don't trust these people who ache to commit violence for their 'freedoms', their idea of freedom is to control everyone else. They are basically the SIN squad, they believe they SHOULD be superior and that gives them the absolute authority to punish ANYONE they disapprove of.....because that also means God loves them more. Our education system desperately needs a rebalance, because too many adults have neglected their parental duties and have not taught their little bundles of joy to become responsible adults and human beings. There is a lot of work that needs to be done.....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:04 am

raid

execution of search warrant
Builder

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:41 am
@Region Philbis,
On the same day the FBI is supposed to release their "findings" on the Hunter Biden laptop scandal.

Talk about timing.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:47 am
@Builder,

Hunter isn't running for office, so...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:48 am
@Region Philbis,
Real crimes vs imagined ones.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:49 am
@Region Philbis,
So, it's cool if the sitting prez has a drug-addicted paedophile son, with contacts in the Chinese government, and the sex slave industry in the Ukraine?
hightor

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 03:53 am
@Region Philbis,
Builder wrote:
Talk about timing.

Yup, right on cue, Builder chimes in! bobsal predicted a lot more MAGAtards would be whining about "Hunter's laptop" as the net tightens around #45. Maybe Builder will bring up "Hillary's emails" next. And there's always Pizzagate.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 04:36 am
@Builder,
I mean, if the FBI (with its Trump appointed director) or other law enforcement have anything to charge Hunter Biden, then they should charge him already, as no one is above the law.

But whatever Hunter Biden has done, it is not enough to sink the Biden Administration (much to the disappointment of the GOP).

Plus, if Trump has done nothing wrong, then he has nothing to hide. Isn't that what the "All Lives Matter"/Back The Blue conservatives always say?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 04:45 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Builder wrote:
Talk about timing.

Yup, right on cue, Builder chimes in! bobsal predicted a lot more MAGAtards would be whining about "Hunter's laptop" as the net tightens around #45. Maybe Builder will bring up "Hillary's emails" next. And there's always Pizzagate.

No, he seems especially exercised about Hunter now. I think he might have a sneaky little obsession thing about Hunter.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 05:09 am

https://iili.io/UvmJNs.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 05:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://iili.io/UvmJNs.jpg

Lock him up!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 06:33 am
The FBI needs to raid every one of tRumps homes/offices immediately, including the one he is in, in NYC.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 08:15 am
Quote:
'This is a guy flushing documents down the toilet': Impeachment lawyer explains why FBI needed Mar-a-Lago warrant

Trump impeachment lawyer Daniel Goldman on Tuesday said that the United States Department of Justice needed to execute a search warrant on Mar-a-Lago because it couldn't trust former President Donald Trump to willingly hand over classified documents in his possession.

During a CNN panel discussing the Mar-a-Lago search, Goldman said that Trump's history of mishandling official White House documents gave the FBI reason enough to bypass subpoenaing the documents and going straight for a search warrant.

"This is speculation, but from my experience as a federal prosecutor, I would suspect that DOJ has very good information from a witness that there is more there," he said. "And that's why they did the search warrant. Remember, this is a guy who is flushing documents down the toilet. You're not going to go ask him to turn something over. So, you have to do a search warrant."

Former Trump official Alyssa Farah Griffin said that she believed the FBI search would boost Trump's standing among his base -- but added that she believed the FBI went in knowing exactly what it was looking for in Mar-a-Lago.

"I do think the specificity of the raid, knowing to look in the safe, is somebody who is cooperating, somebody who knows who is close to the Trump circle and knows where they should be looking," she said.

https://www.rawstory.com/mar-a-lago-raided-by-fbi/
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 08:23 am
Quote:
‘Just laughable’: Morning Joe busts Sarah Huckabee Sanders for flip-flopping on FBI after Mar-a-Lago raid

https://www.rawstory.com/sarah-huckabee-sanders-fbi-tweet/

Quote:
When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing

https://twitter.com/sarahhuckabee/status/794255968448020480
blatham

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 08:38 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Rick Wilson
@TheRickWilson
·
11h
It was a beautiful raid. A perfect raid. People tell me they've never seen such as perfect raid.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 09:03 am

Suddenly, it’s the right that wants to defund law enforcement
Quote:
Police for thee, but not for me.

Following concerns about being unfairly targeted by unchecked members of law enforcement, a new movement has emerged calling for agencies to be stripped of power and funding. Rampant distrust and fears about abuse of power are fueling calls to push back, to limit authority and constrain personnel counts.

This isn’t the left’s “defund the police.” It’s the right’s “stop the FBI.” It’s the GOP’s explicit opposition to boosting staff at the IRS.

[...]

So we got Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) intoning about “BIDEN’S SHADOW ARMY,” a crew that would “target regular, everyday Americans,” and GOP Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel warning that those taking part-time jobs to pay bills are “exactly the people the 87,000 new IRS agents will likely go after.” And so on.

It’s very useful to consider this rhetoric in the broader context of the recent debate over law enforcement. People like Cruz and McDaniel are presumably not worried about overreach by their local police departments. Importantly, they understand that this is not something their voters are terribly worried about. Complaints that municipal police might be treating some segments of the population differently than others — pulling them over disproportionately, searching them more — are not things Cruz’s and McDaniel’s bases lose sleep over.

But an audit? Sure. So the idea that the IRS is gaining clout is cause for concern, particularly because there had been an effective defund-the-tax-police movement for years that’s now being reversed. In 1999, there were 60 examination and collection agents for every 1,000 filers reporting incomes of $500,000 or more. Two decades later there were only 17.

[...]

This was the state of play until about 7 p.m. on Monday. I made those graphs expecting to write about the response to IRS funding in this context. Then, suddenly, I got a new example: FBI agents had searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla.

In short order, the bureau became a target of even more virulent opposition. Take this, from Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.).

https://i.imgur.com/Xk4opLpl.jpg

This is not irony. It is Greene extending her belief that the FBI’s targeting of Mar-a-Lago was an unacceptable overreach to a specific conclusion: the bureau is too powerful and should be constrained. She’s co-opting the verbiage of those who view local police departments with similar skepticism, but she is not being insincere in her demand.

[...]

We should at no point grant law enforcement a reflexive benefit of the doubt that it is operating with complete directness and objectivity, certainly. Any use of governmental force — from arrests to searches to financial reviews — should be conducted with transparency and evenhandedness, something that demands our collective oversight and scrutiny.

But it is impossible not to notice how the response to the Mar-a-Lago search and the IRS expansion reveal the gulf in what sorts of oversight Americans fear. Black Americans in particular have drawn focus in recent years on how police departments apply force, including deadly force, prompting the political right to largely circle the wagons in defense of cops. When, however, the cops work for the IRS or target a popular Republican political figure — even one with a lengthy track record of blurring legal lines — that reflexive support evaporates. Instead, there’s default skepticism and concern about systemic problems. Which, for the original supporters of “defund the police” will seem familiar.

One refrain that emerged following the Mar-a-Lago search was that it demonstrated how far federal law enforcement was willing to go. “If they can target a president, they can target you,” the common line went. Setting aside the unique circumstances here — if the search was, as reported, targeting classified documents Trump kept at his home, that’s an uncommon situation — a fair response is: sure. Yes, if the feds or the police think that a law was broken, they might search my house, too. And sometimes those searches will be specious. Sometimes the police will engage in coverups to protect themselves. That can happen to you, indeed — but, at certain levels, it seems to happen to some people more than others.

If you demand accountability for members of law enforcement you fear but not for ones you don’t, you aren’t demanding accountability for law enforcement.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 09:25 am
Looks like the new Forward Party is getting right out in front here:

https://i.postimg.cc/g0rmhCJM/23olh64q0pg91.png
snood

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 09:28 am
@hightor,
Yeah, but in front of what?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2022 09:40 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Looks like the new Forward Party is getting right out in front here:

https://i.postimg.cc/g0rmhCJM/23olh64q0pg91.png

Considering all the facts, anyone who sees this as unjust...will see any move against Trump as unjust.

No need to placate them. Whether by design or inadvertently, they are helping to destroy our Republic.
0 Replies