Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 09:06 am
Biden is doing a fine job...and we are in a hell of a lot better spot right now because he is the president than we would be if that incompetent, classless dictator wanna-be had won re-election.

No matter who the Democrats run in 2024, anyone who votes for a Republican rather than that person is just nuts.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 09:30 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
On the media and democrat accomplishment, I think it was simply a matter of it being hard to focus on the positive regardless of how it was framed, when gas and inflation was out of control, which is still a problem though gas is going down. Also, the way Afghanistan happened wasn't too good and that started all the negative poll numbers in my opinion.

That sounds perfectly sensible to me. And yes, last week was genuinely uplifting.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 10:29 am
Serious question:
Has anyone here ever been interviewed by a major political polling entity (Gallup, Harris, Rasmussen, Quinnipiac, etc)?

I’m curious. I’ve never been polled, nor has anyone that I know and asked about it.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 11:06 am
@snood,
No, I have never been interviewed.......neither has mr. g'bag.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 11:23 am
@revelette1,
I think you are right.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 11:26 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Serious question:
Has anyone here ever been interviewed

Only under caution.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 11:47 am
@snood,
I've received polling calls pretty routinely over the years.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 01:07 pm
@Builder,
Could be much worse. We could be Aussies.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 02:24 pm

https://iili.io/UOz2Jj.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 03:03 pm
@engineer,
They must have calling lists with people that they regularly use.
That’s all I can figure, as an explanation of how one person would get called repeatedly while others never are. Unless it’s just amazing coincidence.

I was always of the impression that the call recipients were picked randomly.

If you’re getting picked repeatedly - randomly, maybe you should try buying lottery tickets.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:05 pm
Ooh, this sounds delicious. The FBI is reportedly raiding Mar-a-Lago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11093449/FBI-agents-raid-Mar-Lago-Trump-says-home-siege-agents.html

glitterbag

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:11 pm
@snood,
I know!!!!!! It just came on the news at 7 o'clock....maybe they will find all of the 'deleted' text msgs.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:12 pm

#ProbableCause

https://iili.io/UOcvoJ.gif
snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
I love that meme!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 06:27 pm

tomorrow is the anniversary of Nixon's resignation in '74...

coincidence?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 07:44 pm
Quote:
Tommy Vietor
@TVietor08
·
1h
This fall, from the party that brought you LOCK HER UP, comes How Dare the FBI Investigate Politicians...
blatham

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 07:45 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Rick Perlstein
@rickperlstein
·
8m
First comment on FreeRepublic Mar-a-Lago thread: long quote from Solzenitzyn. Newt on Fox: if they can do that to a president, what can they do to you? The law to these people is nothing but a liberal conspiracy standing in the way of their natural hegemony.
blatham

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 08:01 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Lawrence O'Donnell
@Lawrence
·
2h
The Director of the FBI—which is currently raiding Donald Trump’s home—was appointed by Donald Trump.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 08:41 pm
@snood,
According to NPR, the raid may be related to misplaced documents from The Nation Archive.

Quote:
The FBI and Department of Justice declined to comment, although the department is known to be investigating the possible mishandling of government secrets after the National Archives retrieved White House records from Mar-a-Lago.

The search, which would have required a court order from a federal judge, signals the president is under greater scrutiny from federal investigators than was previously known.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/08/1116427430/trump-says-fbi-agents-raided-his-mar-a-lago-home-in-florida

Seems to be line with today's other Trump story, about how he allegedly tried to flush away documents in the White House toilets (why he never used the more effective fireplaces is a mystery).

Quote:
Earlier this year, Axios reported a shocking scoop from New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman's forthcoming book: Former President Donald Trump would allegedly, on occassion, clog a toilet with wads of paper he was seemingly attempting to flush and destroy, according to White House residence staff.
In both pictures, which Haberman apparently recently obtained, then shared with Axios ahead of the release of her book Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America, balls of paper featuring Trump's signature scrawl and preferred Sharpie ink can be seen sitting at the bottom of the toilets.

https://theweek.com/donald-trump/1015755/photos-of-trumps-alleged-document-flushing-habit-shared-with-axios
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 10:05 pm
In the days leading up to 1/6/20, I remember having a growing sense of dread about what kind of insanity the Trumpbots might be hatching.
I didn’t need to have any supernatural premonition or anything - the right wingnuts we’re talking openly about how they weren’t going to take this lying down, and how they were all upset about “stopping the steal”.

I remember wondering what would happen if a bunch of those nuts got their guns and came to Washington.
I wondered also if authorities were paying attention to all the crazy talk.

Today a crowd gathered at Maralago wielding protest signs against the FBI, and shouting angrily about the witch hunt against their dear leader.

And I looked in on what the Fox news talking heads were saying, and they were coming unhinged and stoking anger about how this affront to justice cannot stand.

As much as anyone, I want Donald Trump to rot in a prison.

But when I think about what the true believers of Trump might do, I get that same unease that I felt before they went apeshit on 1/6.