Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 06:23 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Was there a stated purpose to her visit this time?

One of your more stupid questions. Why does your PM leave the house every day when he gets into the limo? To do what Australians elected him to do: go to work. Pelosi was doing the work she was elected to do.

See how miserably stupid you are about the US?

Nitwit.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 07:02 am
The US netted more jobs this month alone than the entirety of Donald Trump's presidency.

This means Hunter Biden will trend...
Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2022 07:06 am
@Builder,
crude and stupid as usual, I see.
hightor

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2022 07:22 am
@MontereyJack,
It's pretty much his stock-in-trade.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2022 06:42 pm
Republicans blocked a bill capping insulin at $35.

But they complain about paying an extra $1 in gas.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 03:43 am
Quote:
“The yeas are 50; the nays are 50. The Senate being equally divided, the vice president votes in the affirmative, and the bill, as amended, is passed.”

So spoke Vice President Kamala Harris this afternoon as, after an all-night session, her vote passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 through the Senate. It will now go to the House, where it is expected to pass.

The measure devotes more than $300 billion to addressing climate change and energy reform, the largest federal investment in climate change in U.S. history. It will make it easier and cheaper to get electric cars and to heat and cool homes without fossil fuels—Environmental Protection Agency administrator Michael Regan says families will save an average of $500 a year on energy costs—while also creating new jobs in these fields.

It extends for three years the subsidies for healthcare under the Affordable Care Act that Congress originally passed during the pandemic.

It will invest about $300 billion toward reducing the deficit.

The money for these programs will come from several places. The bill will lower the cost of certain prescription drugs by enabling the government to negotiate the prices of expensive drugs for Medicare, a policy most nations already have. It also caps the cost of insulin at $35 a month for people on Medicare (Republicans stripped out of the bill a similar protection for those on private insurance).

It makes corporations making $1 billion or more in income pay a 15% minimum tax, and it will tax stock buybacks at 1%.

And it will invest more than $100 billion in enforcing the existing tax laws on the books, laws that are increasingly ignored as the IRS has too few agents to conduct audits of large accounts.

Senate Democrats passed the measure by using the process of budget reconciliation, which covers certain revenue measures and which cannot be filibustered. Although the pieces of the measure have bipartisan support in the country, every Republican voted against the bill; Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) called it an “economic disaster” that will exacerbate inflation (the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office disagrees).

Republicans used reconciliation to pass their own signature measure in December 2017: the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. This law cut the corporate tax rate from about 35% to 21% with the now-traditional Republican expectation that such a cut would spur economic growth, although the Congressional Budget Office estimated the measure would add about $2 trillion to the national debt over ten years. The Tax and Jobs Act did not increase employment or wages as the Republicans expected; those actually dipped slightly as corporations used the tax cuts primarily to buy back their stock, making it more valuable. That measure was the signature piece of legislation during the Trump administration.

In contrast, in the past 18 months, Democrats have rebuilt the economy after the pandemic shattered it, invested in technology and science, expanded the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to stand against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, eliminated al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, pulled troops out of Afghanistan, passed the first gun safety law in almost 30 years, put a Black woman on the Supreme Court, reauthorized the Violence Against Women Act, addressed the needs of veterans exposed to toxic burn pits, and invested in our roads, bridges, and manufacturing. And for much of this program, they have managed to attract Republican votes.

Now they are turning to lowering the cost of prescription drugs—long a priority—and tackling climate change, all while lowering the deficit.

Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne noted accurately today that what these measures do is far more than the sum of their parts. They show Americans that democracy is messy and slow but that it works, and it works for them. Since he took office, this has been President Joe Biden’s argument: he would head off the global drive toward authoritarianism by showing that democracy is still the best system of government out there.

At a time when authoritarians are trying to demonstrate that democracies cannot function nearly as effectively as the rule of an elite few, he is proving them wrong.

This is a very big deal indeed.

hcr
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 04:17 am

https://iili.io/UNHf8g.jpg
snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 04:54 am
@Region Philbis,
And half of the MSM lead stories will quickly brush off all those startlingly bold accomplishments and go right into their “democrats are in trouble in the Fall” and “Biden’s poll numbers are bleak” routine.

Why is that, do you reckon?
Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:28 am
@snood,
For whatever reason the Dems are poor at directing the narrative. Their ability to advance the message of Biden’s accomplishments was piss-poor during Obama’s administration and continues to fail as well now. Media is complicit as it is locked on negativity and “the-sky-is-falling” clickbait . It’s what gets them ratings.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 05:55 am
@snood,
If the poll numbers are down, they'll report it that way. If the poll numbers go up, that's what they'll report. The question is, will voters see these accomplishments as reasons to credit Biden and the Dems or will the GOP list of grievances continue to get center stage? This is where Biden's lack of charisma hurts the Democrats; they need someone who can brag up their accomplishments effectively and excite people – Berlusconi vs. Mario Draghi.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 06:12 am
No, I disagree with both Ragman and Hightor to the extent that they blame the shitty, skewed coverage and reporting on the democrats and Biden.
In fact, it trips me the **** out when people say that if Dems just improved their marketing, they would get better treatment in the media. It seems like giving the media credit for just calling balls and strikes, but ALSO that they will give more favorable play to a slicker message. Makes no sense.

When someone can’t sell themselves by exceeding all expectations doing a tremendous job under crisis conditions, and you’re telling them they just need to smile more and speak up for themselves better, you’re enabling a broken system.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 06:14 am
@snood,
These no news without conflict. Sometimes the conflict is ginned up to coin news.

It is funny that those who question elections, trust polls that give them the results they want..
snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 06:35 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

These no news without conflict. Sometimes the conflict is ginned up to coin news.

It is funny that those who question elections, trust polls that give them the results they want..

Yeah, I think that a lot of the “trouble” they keep reporting that the democrats are in is part of that “ginning up”.

And it really sucks.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 07:16 am
@snood,
Quote:
No, I disagree with both Ragman and Hightor to the extent that they blame the shitty, skewed coverage and reporting on the democrats and Biden.

If I have to blame anyone, I blame the people answering the polls who actually think that Biden caused inflation and the lockdowns in China and the omicron variant, not the media for publishing the results.

Quote:
In fact, it trips me the **** out when people say that if Dems just improved their marketing, they would get better treatment in the media.

But I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if the Democrats actually did something and effectively communicated their accomplishments to the people and if people begin to feel more positively toward Democratic policies poll numbers would go up this would eventually be reflected in media coverage. I think you're putting the cart before the horse. The public watched the Dems infighting for a year, accomplishing very little, while Fox news and the GOP hammered them for their disarray. It looked awful, it was awful, and the polls reflected that. Improved marketing won't help if you've got nothing to sell.
snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 07:28 am
@hightor,
I’m saying that superlative accomplishments should drive media coverage. I don’t know what the **** you’re saying.
hightor

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 07:48 am
@snood,
Why the hostility?

I'm saying superlative accomplishments got put on hold so why would you expect glowing media coverage? Things look like they may be about to change now that this legislation has been passed. Schumer's worked for it.
snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 08:31 am
@hightor,
Check your dms
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2022 08:53 am
@hightor,
Regardless of all the back and forth, very uplifting news.

On the media and democrat accomplishment, I think it was simply a matter of it being hard to focus on the positive regardless of how it was framed, when gas and inflation was out of control, which is still a problem though gas is going down. Also, the way Afghanistan happened wasn't too good and that started all the negative poll numbers in my opinion.