Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 11:18 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Mitch McConnell:

“African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans”.

Tough problem for him. He can't really say "just as high a percentage as the Master Race"
glitterbag

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 11:19 pm
@snood,
Oh crap, I heard some of his whining but somehow missed that. I started fuming when he began his crap about how much the Republican Party loves the voters.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:30 am
Very sobering piece on how conservative activists are organizing and moving at the local level to take control of school boards wherever they can. This isn't ad hoc. This is being very well organized and funded.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:50 am
@DisneySucks,
DisneySucks wrote:

I'm confused. The media said that Biden was the most popular president of all time, more popular than Obama.

‘Weak’ Joe Biden gets ‘F’ grade from 37% of Americans, poll shows

https://nypost.com/2022/01/19/joe-biden-gets-f-grade-from-37-of-americans-poll-shows/

You are confused. VERY CONFUSED.

How do you come up with, "...The media said that Biden was the most popular president of all time...?"

You just made that up, right?

Or is that just part of your "confusion?"
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
He's a troll.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:23 am
I believe that we can confidently infer from the simple sentence below that the speaker is not a rocket scientist.

From Arizona's Republican governor Doug Ducey's State of the State address on January 10th.
Quote:
“There has been too much attention put on masks and not nearly enough attention placed on math.”
BillW

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:38 am
@blatham,
A rocket scientist - what's that got to do with math?🤔🤗😉
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:55 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

He's a troll.

Yup...it does seem that is the case.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 12:27 pm
Progressives want to primary Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema? Good luck with that

Quote:
Sen. Bernie Sanders’s declaration on Tuesday that he might support primary challenges to two Democratic colleagues, Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) and Joe Manchin III (W.Va.), shows how frustrated progressives are at their inability to enact their sweeping agenda. It also shows how disconnected progressive ideology is from reality.

The Vermont independent and his ideological comrades are understandably upset that these two senators are blocking their plans to transform the United States. Progressives regard this less-than-dynamic duo as a couple of renegades who are betraying the views of the people who elected them. Progressives blame Manchin and Sinema alone for their party’s failure; in fact, the two Democratic holdouts are only powerful because 50 Republicans oppose the progressive agenda.

The trouble with this narrative is that it is utterly warped. Manchin and Sinema, like all elected members, were not elected by a narrow group of ideologues or donors; they were elected by a majority vote of their states’ electorates. That larger group includes many people who aren’t progressives at all, even if they occasionally vote for Democrats. Indeed, Manchin — the only remaining Democrat elected statewide in West Virginia — was sent to Washington by an overwhelmingly conservative population. The fact that he and Sinema prioritize the views of their constituents over the views of progressive activists isn’t heresy; it’s democracy.

Progressives often don’t see things that way because many of them share a worldview that dismisses opinions different from their own. When one disagrees with a progressive, they are often immediately cast out into the realm of devilish evildoers. If you think I exaggerate, look again. Those who think climate change is a problem but not an existential crisis are labeled “climate deniers,” which in the minds of many progressives is as bad as being a Holocaust denier. People who think requiring voters to show identification before casting ballots, a common practice in most democracies, aren’t just wrong; they are racists who support the return of Jim Crow. It’s impossible to view Manchin and Sinema with equanimity when all who oppose you are inherently malign.

This is, at heart, a Manichaean worldview that divides Americans into the perfect and the damned. It is a secular religion, with its own immutable truths that must be worshiped on pain of expulsion from the church. Sanders’s statement is meant to make the renegade senators tremble in fear for their potential excommunication. That Emily’s List, the noted Democratic PAC that focuses on abortion rights, soon joined the parade and declared it would withhold support from Sinema — a pro-choice Democratic woman! — over her refusal to change Senate filibuster rules provides further proof that enforcing dogmatic unity is crucial to the progressive mind-set.

Will these pronouncements produce frightened repentance? Will Manchin and Sinema bend the knee and beg for forgiveness? Fat chance.

Both senators know they live in precincts where the majority of people don’t sing progressive hymns. The attempt to inspire fear, then, will inspire only hatred and contempt.

This is the fatal flaw in progressive strategy. Progressives might be able to enforce their ideology in the ivory towers of Silicon Valley or academia, but it will not work in West Virginia or Arizona. Worse, it will likely alienate those non-progressives whose votes created the Democratic majority to begin with.

As my Post colleague Philip Bump points out, progressive cries that democracy itself is threatened by Republicans aren’t believed by those outside the church. Nor are other progressive priorities shared by moderate Americans. A recent Economist-YouGov poll shows that climate change is the most important priority among liberals, but only 10 percent of moderates agree. Fifteen percent of liberals name civil rights as their top priority; only 5 percent of moderates do. Progressive insistence on purity over persuasion is the biggest gift Republicans could receive, yet progressives just can’t stop themselves from giving it to them.

Dogmatic intolerance never goes down well with a democratic people, as Ronald Reagan gently reminded ideological conservatives in 1977. The more progressivism resembles medieval Catholicism in its intolerance of dissent, the likelier American democracy will produce Democrats’ worst nightmare: Republican rule as far as the eye can see

wp/olsen

Okay, okay. I'm just wondering, though – are there really that many West Virginians and Arizonans who believe in preserving the filibuster?
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:21 pm
Quote:
Mitch McConnell’s plan is working

At the one-year mark in President Biden’s first term, there’s no sugarcoating it: A barrage of new polls are absolutely brutal for him. Surveys from NBC News and the Associated Press both put Biden’s approval at 43 percent, and CBS News puts it at 44 percent, in large drops since last summer.

In short: Everything is going pretty much as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has planned. We know this because the Kentucky Republican told us exactly how he planned it. In fact, he laid out the playbook more than a decade ago, and it has changed little since then.

At dark moments such as these, after Biden’s voting rights agenda fell to a Republican filibuster on Wednesday night, it’s worth revisiting a largely-forgotten, 11-year-old quote from McConnell. It captures a crucial insight about U.S. politics that helps illuminate the struggles Democrats are facing, and why they feel so frustrating and intractable.

At the time, McConnell was similarly wielding his role as minority leader to obstruct another Democratic president, by denying any and all GOP support for proposals like the 2010 Affordable Care Act. McConnell explained his thinking to journalist Joshua Green:
Quote:
“We worked very hard to keep our fingerprints off of these proposals,” McConnell says. “Because we thought — correctly, I think — that the only way the American people would know that a great debate was going on was if the measures were not bipartisan. When you hang the ‘bipartisan’ tag on something, the perception is that differences have been worked out, and there’s a broad agreement that that’s the way forward.”

The counterintuitive thought here runs as follows: Yes, Americans want the parties to cooperate in a bipartisan fashion. Yes, when the parties disagree, they might blame one side more than the other. But in McConnell’s theory, those things don’t matter.

Instead, when government is seen as dysfunctional amid partisan fighting, the president and his party are blamed, because they run the place. When Republicans uniformly oppose the president’s policies, voters fault him for failing to secure bipartisan cooperation. That’s why McConnell wants to deny him “broad agreement.”

With that in mind, we can be sure that McConnell chortled with glee as he watched Biden’s Wednesday news conference, where reporters hammered Biden for failing to achieve “unity” with Republicans. In those lines of questioning, they were effectively erased as a factor in that failure.

‘What are Republicans for?'

Every GOP senator voted to block the Democratic proposals — which would protect voting rights and restore federal preclearance of voting changes — from moving forward. Similarly, every congressional Republican opposes Biden’s Build Back Better agenda, which seeks to tackle generational problems facing our country, from profound economic inequality to looming climate catastrophe.

In this case, of course, two centrist Democratic senators also stand in the way: They’re withholding support for BBB and won’t nix the filibuster to protect democracy. But uniform GOP opposition on both fronts is a major factor, and should be something Democrats can exploit politically.

Biden certainly thinks McConnell’s strategy leaves Republicans vulnerable. At his presser, he declared that in the midterms, Democrats will stress what they’ve passed, such as the rescue package (which has driven a surprisingly robust recovery) and the infrastructure bill (where bipartisanship was achieved), and vowed to get some form of BBB done.

President Biden held a news conference on Jan. 19 as his administration approaches one year in office. (Mahlia Posey/The Washington Post)
This, Biden said, will be relentlessly contrasted with lockstep GOP opposition. He vowed that Democrats will relentlessly ask: “What are Republicans for?”

A polling double-whammy

But those new polls illustrate why McConnell’s strategy nonetheless might work. The NBC poll shows double-digit slippage for Biden since last spring among independents and core Democratic groups such as Black people and Latinos, and abysmal approval numbers on the economy and covid-19. The CBS poll shows lackluster support among liberals and finds Biden underwater with young voters.

So there may be a double-whammy here. Independents may be alienated by Biden’s inability to achieve more bipartisanship (GOP obstruction works). Meanwhile, core Democratic voters may be demoralized by the failure to accomplish big achievements (GOP obstruction isn’t enough to get them to redirect blame; they hear more about Democratic infighting).

“The Democratic base wants things to get done on a whole host of important issues,” Nick Gourevitch, a Democratic pollster, told me.

Gourevitch noted that both Democrats and independents alike might be alienated by perceptions of dysfunction. “Voters don’t pay deep attention to how things don’t get done,” he said. “They just see that things don’t get done.”

Gourevitch added that GOP obstruction might not be weighing as heavily as one might hope. “It’s not like Republicans are popular,” he said, but it’s plausible that “the voters will pay attention to who’s in charge, as they have done historically in many elections.”

None of this is to absolve Biden of blame. His broken promises on immigration may be one reason for slipping base support. He took his eye off the ball on coronavirus testing and got caught off guard by the latest surge, which surely is hurting across the board. And despite the economic rebound, inflation and supply chain issues are tainting that picture.

It may ultimately prove possible to make Republicans pay a price for obstruction. If Biden can get a smaller BBB passed and the economy keeps recovering, casting Republicans as obstacles to ongoing progress might have potency. And as the new White House focus on free tests and masks shows, it now knows defeating covid is paramount for recovery — including political recovery.

But still: The next time McConnell unleashes one of those trademark chortles, remember that 11-year-old quote. It helps explain why he’s laughing in your faces.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Very sobering piece on how conservative activists are organizing and moving at the local level to take control of school boards wherever they can. This isn't ad hoc. This is being very well organized and funded.

This is merely a quite ordinary political response to a previously well-organized and very well-funded, successful effort to do exactly the same thing, on the part of Democrats and the Teacher's Unions that direct them in this area. I find your dark implications of "sobering" conspiracy, or something like that, a bit laughable
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:37 pm
@hightor,
I'm often not a fan of Olsen's contributions but he gets a lot right here. I don't know enough about Virginia to have any opinion on the chances of a successful primary challenge to Manchin but it seems a near certainty that Virginia voters would defeat such an alternate Senate candidate with someone far worse than Manchin.

Not all "progressives" are impractical and subject to romantic delusion but lots are. Olsen is right in this. I'm sure many still believe that had Sanders been elected, he could somehow have managed to move things such that Manchin and Sinema would have supported the filibuster or that somehow legislation matching or exceeding Biden's would have managed to be put into law.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:09 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
This is merely a quite ordinary political response to a previously well-organized and very well-funded, successful effort to do exactly the same thing

Really? Can you provide a link to verify your claims, george? Specifics please.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'm often not a fan of Olsen's contributions but he gets a lot right here. I don't know enough about Virginia to have any opinion on the chances of a successful primary challenge to Manchin but it seems a near certainty that Virginia voters would defeat such an alternate Senate candidate with someone far worse than Manchin.

Not all "progressives" are impractical and subject to romantic delusion but lots are. Olsen is right in this. I'm sure many still believe that had Sanders been elected, he could somehow have managed to move things such that Manchin and Sinema would have supported the filibuster or that somehow legislation matching or exceeding Biden's would have managed to be put into law.

That is West, by God, Virginia...not Virginia.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
This is merely a quite ordinary political response to a previously well-organized and very well-funded, successful effort to do exactly the same thing

I foresee a “that’s a ridiculous request, because what I referred to is patently obvious to anyone” response in the near future…
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:39 pm
@snood,
Goodness. I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd predict such an outcome.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:47 pm
@blatham,
The editorial opinion piece you posted describes a grass roots and spontaneous rise of parent sponsored groups seeking (and getting) elected seats on various School Boards. Apart from descriptions of the strong motivations of those involved and some success they have achieved, there is nothing in the article that suggests anything but a natural public response, carried out in an entirely Democratic way. Apart from your unstated but implicit (and quite absurd) suggestion that Parents have no proper role in such matters. there is nothing there to suggest the "well funded" conspiracy you suggested.

That over time the influence of Democrat-supporting Teacher's Unions, the NEA and the public education establishment has accumulated a great deal of influence and control over local school boards is hardly either new or surprising to anyone with a basic awareness of the subject. The fact that they are now using it it to promote "educational" programs & materials (including the cessation of advanced courses in Math & science) and various, currently fashionable DEI programs) that large numbers of the parents of the children attending these schools strongly reject is both well-known, and, indeed, the explicitly stated motivation for their actions to get representation on these public boards, which govern how their tax dollars are spent in their education of their children.

None of that requires citation on this opinion discussion site, and the opinion article you cited does not itself meet the standard that you appear to be implying here.

Your misplaced, pseudo - academic pedantry on this matter has become rather tiresome, and makes you look a bit foolish to understand the reality of the matter.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 03:42 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:

I foresee a “that’s a ridiculous request, because what I referred to is patently obvious to anyone” response in the near future…

And here's what came almost immediately: Your misplaced, pseudo - academic pedantry on this matter has become rather tiresome, and makes you look a bit foolish to understand the reality of the matter.

((He must be tired because I think this recent burst of indignant hot air is missing at least 12 additional unnecessary words. Normally, attempts to make others sound 'more stupider' such as this effort to convey Bernie as a drooling idiot of no purpose ........ means the current uber rights position/decision has been employed to sanction that it's ok to lie if it's critical of a Democrat, anti-gay, anti-intellectual, pseudo-satanic, southern-border anything, and all the usual stuff implying God loves them more because they are Good. ))
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 03:51 pm
@georgeob1,
I really wish you'd set to a project of learning rather than avoiding learning. For example, if you took the time/effort to study a bit about "Moms for Liberty" (wikipedia has a substantive entry) that would be advantageous for you and everyone else. "A grass roots and spontaneous rise of parent sponsored groups", as you suggest, is not what's happening. But I wager you won't go and read that entry. The puzzle is why you won't.
Quote:
your unstated but implicit (and quite absurd) suggestion that Parents have no proper role in such matters.

Nope. Parents commonly populate school boards as is quite understandable. I have family who are on school boards and who have dealt, as teacher/administrators with school boards throughout their careers. And as you surely know, my degree is in Education. Parents, of course, should populate school boards.
Quote:
there is nothing there to suggest the "well funded" conspiracy you suggested.

Wrong, as the wikipedia entry will detail (though noting that Moms for Liberty is a A 501(c)4 thus does not have to reveal financial contributions. This is a common organizational strategy used to hide donors.)

Quote:
over time the influence of Democrat-supporting Teacher's Unions, the NEA and the public education establishment has accumulated a great deal of influence and control over local school boards is hardly either new or surprising to anyone with a basic awareness of the subject.

It is no surprise that the educational institutions in your country or mine are rather more fond of Democratic (or Liberal Party) policies given that those parties believe in generous funding of the enterprise and in ensuring that those undertaking all the tasks which build a great system are well-trained and compensated. But you'll have to provide some verification of your claim that this constitutes control of school boards or determining who gets onto school boards. We'll note here the current instances where conservative activists running for or already elected to boards are calling for banning and burning books (as noted in my earlier link).

Quote:
they are now using it it to promote "educational" programs & materials (including the cessation of advanced courses in Math & science) and various, currently fashionable DEI programs)

Again, you provide no specific details on what it is you're suggesting. Where are advanced courses in math/science being cut? And what in heaven is wrong with educational programs which promote diversity, equity and inclusion? Is the proper role for schools to only train children in the trades? Or to limit curricula to studies which might get students into high paying jobs? Do you imagine that Thucydides would have thought such a curriculum sufficient for the betterment and advance of the civic community?
Quote:
Your misplaced, pseudo - academic pedantry on this matter has become rather tiresome, and makes you look a bit foolish to understand the reality of the matter.

Well, the thing is, george, I'm rather more educated and knowledgeable in these areas than are you. If you were to write about Heisenberg's or Newton's work or details on rocket telemetry or the role of pilots in port navigation, I wouldn't label you as a pedantic jerk.
snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 04:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Mitch McConnell:

“African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans”.

Tough problem for him. He can't really say "just as high a percentage as the Master Race"

I’m thinking his words were not a faux pas or even a poor choice, but just the very intonation of dog-whistle he’s quite practiced at producing.