Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 04:51 pm
@blatham,
I’m sure you know you’ll never get a direct answer to any piece of that post of clearly worded inquiries into wtf the grand himself might be spouting about.

But just for my own head’s sake let me say this.

Democrat parents are trying to remove math and science from curricula in the same number of grade 1-12 schools that they’re trying to get Critical Race Theory put on the curricula.

NONE. ZERO. That ain’t happening ANYWHERE in the real world where humans breathe air and make baby humans.

That’s just exactly the kind of unadulterated BULLSHIT that “conservatives” try to warp reality with.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 06:50 pm
@blatham,
A fair amount of sophistry and evasion in your commentary. The issue has nothing whatever to do with learning or my appetite for it. The School Board issues in Loudon County VA, were all very widely publicized. These Included new student indoctrination (as opposed to education) courses & associated training materials ; the simultaneous cancellation of formerly successful advanced mathematics & hard science courses in the name of “equity”; former Governor Terry McAuliffe’s ill-conceived opinion, expressed in a political debate, that parents shouldn’t be involved in determining what students are taught ; and his subsequent defeat by Glenn Younkin, are all likely very well - known to most posters here.

I noted that the increased engagement of parents in issues involving School boards was quite obviously a populist thing. In Virginia at it emerged directly as a reaction to the Loudon County School Board’s authoritarian actions in suppressing public comment at periodic board meetings ostensibly conducted precisely for that purpose; and later in covering up repeated sexual assaults on other students by self-Identified “transexual” students. This partisan overreach was a very widely reported major factor in coalescing organized parental action to repopulate school boards both in Virginia and other states.

Political advocacy groups qualified under 501 C 4 are not necessarily closet conspiracies, and the right of their donors to protect their identities is established under our law. Moreover, as I suspect you know, there are numerous such organizations advancing opposing political objectives. Are they also conspiracies?

The sound and fury that attends politics & debate over public policy does not all involve dark conspiracies, which, as you often suggest is the necessary character of any you oppose (but never those you favor).

Finally in the case at hand you certainly offered none of the factual proof you so frequently demand from (only) those who disagree with you.

georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 07:32 pm
@snood,
Can you offer us some proof or citation for this assertion. Blatham might require it.
snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 08:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Proof of a negative. That’s what you’re asking. Proof that parents are not trying to remove math and science from curricula. Proof that CRT is not being taught in grade school.

You’re obviously a real smart person, so you certainly know the difficulty inherent in trying to prove a negative.

It must have just slipped your mind for a moment, right?
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:35 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I’m thinking [McConnell's] words were not a faux pas or even a poor choice, but just the very intonation of dog-whistle he’s quite practiced at producing.

We can only guess, I suppose. My guess is a Freudian slip. There are enough other right wing voices doing the dog whistles (or worse) on FOX and elsewhere and Mitch doesn't have to play that game. He can simply benefit from others fomenting racial animosities.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:41 pm
@georgeob1,
Not good enough, george.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:14 am
So far, this reporting by Dahlia Lithwick is by far the best thing I've read on the Supreme Court/Gorsuch/mask story. Highly recommended.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 11:53 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Proof of a negative. That’s what you’re asking. Proof that parents are not trying to remove math and science from curricula. Proof that CRT is not being taught in grade school.

You’re obviously a real smart person, so you certainly know the difficulty inherent in trying to prove a negative.

It must have just slipped your mind for a moment, right?

I entirely agree with you about the likely impossibility or proving the truth of the assertions you made, or indeed the need for it in a conversation such as this one here. Yours was a (highly emphatic) expression of opinion, as are nearly all statements on this thread - mine included.

The real issue is Blatham's rather pretentious and sophomoric demands for "proof" or citation issued only to those who disagree with him, and on points for which he has no suitable reply - a fairly transparent evasion.

I merely used this comment to demonstrate that point.
snood

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The real issue is Blatham's rather pretentious and sophomoric demands for "proof" or citation issued only to those who disagree with him, and on points for which he has no suitable reply - a fairly transparent evasion.

Apples and oranges.

Asking for proof for the dubious assertion you made - that democrat parents were lobbying in school board meetings, trying to have math and science not be taught in their schools - was totally reasonable. Something like what you claimed would be relatively easy to cite sources for. The board meetings and what’s being said in them are all over the news. Surely something as radical and subversive as trying to stop math and science from being taught would be documented in several publications, on and offline.

On the other hand asking me to prove what I asserted - that the things you said are not happening - is asking to prove a negative, and therefore nonsensical. I understand you’re saying it was just a flippant way to make the point that Blatham asks for proof as a dodge.

But you’re the one whose reasoning is looking dodgy.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 01:41 pm
@snood,
The cancellation of advance placement Math courses in Loudon and other Virginia counties was both well-publicized and one of several major elements in the public issues involved re the existing School Board, and the Virginia Gubernatorial election. Moreover, Virginia isn't the only state in which such actions have recently been taken. Actions to dumb down t curricula and replace education with indoctrination is a core part of this issue in many areas of the country.
snood

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 02:42 pm
@georgeob1,
If it’s so widely known it should be easy to post a source. What is your objection to doing so?
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 02:50 pm
@georgeob1,
as usual, the extreme right wing seems to be inventing things to be outraged about. Looiks like VA is going to update their curricula to include computer science, rather than dropping stuff.. which makes sense.
Quote:

Virginia defends proposed changes to high school math courses
Acacia James | [email protected]

April 27, 2021, 9:03 AM

share on facebook
share on twitter
share via email
print
Listen now to WTOP News WTOP.com | Alexa | Google Home | WTOP App | 103.5 FM
The Virginia Department of Education appeared to be clearing up its plans to eliminate advanced math before the 11th grade during a news conference Monday.

The department says it does not plan on getting rid of accelerated math courses for students.

The proposal, which is a part of a program called the Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative, includes reworking eighth, ninth and 10th grade math courses to include subjects like data science and data analytics.

Students would still be able to take higher-level courses if suitable and the content could merge a bit. School districts would also have discretion in how they go about implementing the curriculum.

The announcement follows backlash received after news outlets reported on the proposed change.

Loudoun County School Board member Ian Serotkin also posted on Facebook about the possible curriculum change, saying “this initiative will eliminate all math acceleration prior to 11th grade. That is not an exaggeration, nor does there appear to be any discretion in how local districts implement this.”

However, State Superintendent James Lane said the reports were not an accurate representation of the board’s discussions and that he was worried that people are misinterpreting things.

Following the press conference, Serotkin posted an update on Facebook that said “some parts of this are quite different from their previous messaging and information provided, and alleviates much of my concern.”

The Loudoun County School Board will discuss the plan at a meeting Tuesday.

Virginia’s Department of Education said it is in the process of revising its Standards of Learning, as it does every seven years.

Officials recently started brainstorming ways Virginia could better prepare students for the workforce and college through mathematics courses.

The department is currently gathering public feedback.

WTOP news.
hightor

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 03:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
as usual, the extreme right wing seems to be inventing things to be outraged about.

This is what they do. Shameless rumor-mongering and outright lies. A "well-publicized" lie is still a lie.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 03:41 pm
@snood,
So, I just did a google search on george's claim. Here's how the first page came in...
Quote:
Showing results for "The cancellation of advanced placement Math courses in Loudon and other Virginia counties

Virginia not moving to eliminate advanced math classes - The ...https://www.washingtonpost.com › local › 2021/04/26
Apr 26, 2021 — Superintendent James Lane said the Virginia Department of Education is in the early stages of a regularly scheduled revision of its mathematics ...

Virginia isn't eliminating accelerated math courses. But it's one ...https://www.virginiamercury.com › 2021/04/26 › virgi...
Apr 26, 2021 — In 2015, VCCS embarked on its own effort to reform math education at the community college level after learning that many students weren't ...

Virginia Department of Education shoots down claims of ...https://www.fox5dc.com › news › virginia-department-of-...
Apr 26, 2021 — Virginia education department says it is not getting rid of accelerated math. Some parents on Northern Virginia are asking whether the ...

Virginia moving to eliminate all accelerated math courses ...https://www.foxnews.com › virginia-accelerated-math-cou...
Apr 22, 2021 — The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is moving to eliminate all accelerated math options prior to 11th grade, effectively keeping ...

Fact check: Virginia not eliminating advanced math classeshttps://www.usatoday.com › factcheck › 2021/05/09 › f...
Claim: Virginia schools are eliminating advanced math classes for students under 11th grade, citing "equity"
Claimed by: Social media users
Fact check by USA Today: False

Loudoun County Public Schools Program of Studieshttps://www.lcps.org › PagePDF
Ashburn, Virginia 20148. (571) 252-1020. January 2021. Dear Students and Parents/Guardians: The Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) Program of Studies ...

Loudoun County Public Schoolshttps://schoolquality.virginia.gov › divisions › loudoun-c...
Division: Loudoun County Public Schools Division Number: 53. Address: 21000 Education Court Ashburn, VA 20148. Superintendent: Dr. Scott A. Ziegler

Virginia to drop advanced math courses before 11th grade ...https://www.washingtonexaminer.com › news › virginia...
Apr 23, 2021 — The Virginia Department of Education is seeking to eliminate its accelerated math programs below 11th grade, citing "equity" as one of the ...

State superintendent, School Board address Mathematics ...https://www.loudountimes.com › news › state-superintend...
Apr 28, 2021 — Virginia Superintendent of Public Education James Lane offered clarification on the Virginia Mathematics Pathways Initiative this week after ...

I've bolded the two sources that appear to make the same claim as george. FOX we all know about. Here's the wikipedia entry on the the other...
Quote:
The Washington Examiner is an American conservative news website and weekly magazine based in Washington, D.C. It is owned by MediaDC, a subsidiary of Clarity Media Group, which is owned by Philip Anschutz.[2]

From 2005 to mid-2013, the Examiner published a daily tabloid-sized newspaper, distributed throughout the Washington, D.C., metro area. The newspaper focused on local news and political commentary.[3] The local newspaper ceased publication on June 14, 2013, whereupon its content began to focus almost exclusively on national politics, from a conservative point of view, switching its print edition from a daily newspaper to an expanded print weekly magazine format.[4][5][6]

As to your question...
Quote:
If it’s so widely known it should be easy to post a source. What is your objection to doing so?

Whereas you or I or hightor or most anyone else who posts here, do provide links to source materials (I've posted thousands of such links here), george has posted so few, if any, that I can't recall a single instance. His stance has always been that such requests/demands are unacceptable in a forum like A2K, that they are merely pedantic.

The definition of pedantry is "excessive concern with minor details and rules". In the discussion of topics such as we commonly address, providing verifying information is hardly a minor detail or a fancy but valueless rule. It's a means - a key means - to adding value in the pursuit of truth.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 03:59 pm
@blatham,
Like the opening of Henry IV part 2.
blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 04:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Golly, my good man. It's been so long since I read that play that I can't bring up any memory to help me here.
blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 04:15 pm
Have just started this piece by Mayer but thought I'd toss it in as few do work as fine as her.
Quote:
Is Ginni Thomas a Threat to the Supreme Court?
Behind closed doors, Justice Clarence Thomas’s wife is working with many groups directly involved in controversial cases before the Court.
by Jane Mayer

January 21, 2022
Thomas has declared that America is in existential danger because of the “deep state” and the “fascist left,” which includes “transsexual fascists.”
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 04:18 pm
@blatham,
So…yeah. His claims were bullshit.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 04:46 pm
@blatham,
Opening scene act 1, enter Rumour dressed in tongues.
blatham

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 05:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
So…yeah. His claims were bullshit.

Folks can enter the same search terms as I used and retrieve all those links and then sort out the truth of things. That has obvious value.

But I set to that search because 1) though I read a lot, I hadn't come across what george was claiming and wished to see what was going on and 2) because I was pretty certain that george got this stuff from quite predictable sources and wanted to verify my suspicions.
0 Replies