Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 03:58 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Well, they could accommodate one of them, surely. Put an acrylic box around him, at least.

That this hasn't happened suggests that formalized traditions are the barrier.
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 04:53 pm
@blatham,
It makes since to do it for all? At least.some kind of a vapor barrier.
blatham

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 08:09 pm
Private businesses that mandate vaccines or testing for staffs during a pandemic are an egregious violation of individual liberties. Also, see below.

Quote:
The Associated Press
@AP
· 3h
A Florida bill that would prohibit public schools and private businesses from making white people feel “discomfort” when they teach students or train employees about discrimination in the nation’s past received its first approval Tuesday.
http://apne.ws/3a6xyCh
blatham

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 08:10 pm
@BillW,
I'm no help to you on this one.
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 08:18 pm
@blatham,
A vapor barrier around each of the justices....
Mame

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 10:44 pm
@BillW,
lol - or one of those dry-cleaning plastic wrappers Smile Or a hazmat suit with a face shield.

Covid doesn't give a rat's ass about tradition - it's all about staying safe.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 11:02 pm
@blatham,
The bill reads in part, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.

Really? I wonder what anyone of colour feels about this. Have they not been made to feel discomfort, anguish, and/or psychological distress when they are pulled over because they're black, denigrated because they're Mexican or Filipino, or told to go back to their own country (even when born here), etc etc etc?

And no, current residents of the globe are not responsible for what our ancestors did, but the problem is that is continuing and if they participate or ignore racist actions, then, duh... they're racist. And that's on them, not their great-granddaddy.

Racism is global. To think it is just the whites is ridiculous. You read stories all the time about how people are treated in various countries. Here's something you should read.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-racist-countries

Worst Countries for Racial Equality:
Qatar
Serbia
Saudi Arabia
Sri Lanka
United Arab Emirates
Slovakia
Myanmar
Israel
Ukraine
United States

Most Racist Countries in the World (WaPo and BT results combined)*:
India
Lebanon
Bahrain
Libya
Egypt
Philippines
Kuwait
Palestine
South Africa
South Korea
*Full survey results below

"India ranks as the most racist of the countries included in the study. Located in southern Asia, India is the second-most-populous country on Earth, with roughly 1.3 billion people. According to the surveys, the country's residents display considerable intolerance for people with darker skin, whether they are of foreign descent (particularly African) or simply darker-skinned Indians. India has little immigration and few international residents. As a result, most of its people are of Indian descent themselves. This detail is considered to be a major contributing factor to racism in India. When one is unaccustomed to seeing or interacting with people of different races, it is often more difficult to integrate with someone of a different nationality or ethnicity. This notion is borne out in the survey results. Approximately 43.6% of all Indians who took the survey said that they would not be comfortable with neighbors who were of a different culture, ethnicity, or race. 64.3% of Indian participants also reported that they were either discriminated against or had witnessed discrimination unfold in their home country.

Although its population is split nearly fifty-fifty between Christians and Muslims, Lebanon is another country comprised primarily of people who share a similar ethnic background. This low level of diversity means Lebanon's citizens are typically opposed to mingling with people of other races for the sole reason that they are not used to doing so in a day-by-day setting. Third on the list of most racist countries is Bahrain, a country in the Persian Gulf and just off the coast of Saudi Arabia. Nearly 50% of people in Bahrain are of Bahraini descent, and Indians make up the highest percentile of immigrants. Bahrain scored 31.1% and 85.7% as part of the studies in discussion.

Libya follows Bahrain in fourth place. The majority of people in Libya are Arabic. Other ethnic groups included in Libya's population are Tunisians, Egyptians, Dawada, Italians, Maltese, Greeks, Pakistanis, Turks, and Indians. The study found that 54% of people in Libya's group would not be okay with living next door to people of another race, whereas 39.7% of the population said that they've either been the victim or witness discriminatory behavior in Libya. Egypt comes in at five. People born and raised in Egypt account for 91% of its population, with the remaining 9% made up of Bedouins, Abazas, Turks, and Greeks. The studies' findings for Egypt, Libya, Bahrain, and Lebanon are in alignment with the ones regarding India."

BillW

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 11:42 pm
@Mame,
Indonesians are most racist to Chinese. I lived there for a few years and when going through immigration I would lineup behind a Chinese person. The officer would just look over their shoulder and wave me in. They love authority and will hassle everybody but they knew this would really piss the China man off!
hightor

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 04:42 am
Zardos wrote:
An article the other day explained one of the causes of our labor shortage in entry level jobs and inflation, it has to do with Trump‘s crack down on illegal immigration. Like other commodities the price of labor is determined by supply and demand. When there is a shortage of labor the price of labor follows the supply and demand curve and goes up as supply gets low. Trump’s paperwork can attest to the labor shortage. Trump is allowed to import labor from out of country because there were no Americans able to staff Mar-a-Lago, according to Trump, and Trump was granted 70 visas for out of country workers. These were the same people Trump referred to as rapist and gang members.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 06:50 am
More than 1,700 congressmen once enslaved Black people. This is who they were, and how they shaped the nation.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 07:25 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

blatham wrote:

Is it your belief, george, that the last election was stolen and that Trump was the real winner?

Clearly you are trying to bait me with one of your prefabricated judgements.

The answer is that I don't claim to know, but I am aware of the long-standing behaviors of Democrat political machines, from Tammany Hall in New York to the Dailey machine in Chicago, and many others of the same ilk (some which , as a boy, I directly observed in Michigan electoral politics i.e. ballot box stuffing, votes collected from dead people or others, previously registered who had moved out of the state, and gross miscounting of ballots - and occasional destruction of those from opposition voters.

Trump's claims likely involve a good deal of self-righteous denial. The assertions of Democrats that their ardently sought reforms seek only greater election integrity tend to peg my phonyometer

There were well-identified swing states in the last election, and enough suspicious activity there to suggest that some malfeasance was occurring. Whether it was decisive or not I don't know.

From what we know, George, if the "malfeasance" had been decisive...

...wouldn't Trump have won?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:09 am
@Mame,
Quote:
The bill reads in part, “An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex. An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race.”

Yes. Merely a coincidence that such legislation would emerge in a southern state. Imagine similar legislation emerging in Germany, criminalizing teachers for making some students feel uncomfortable through teaching facts of WW2 and the Holocaust. Or if a provincial government in Canada were to establish laws disallowing teachers to address the history of residential schools if some students were anguished or distressed by this history.

There's a long history in the US, as we all know, of attempts to justify slavery and racism ("the Holy Bible permits it", "blacks were better off back then") or to nullify charges of race bias by suggesting such charges are themselves instances of bias (that's what "reverse racism" as a description of attempts to legislate towards race equality is all about as a rhetorical device).

Right now, teachers, schools and the educational system are under renewed and vigorous attacks as a continuing means to disempower teachers' unions, to damage the public education system (LOTS of money to be made by private enterprises here just as attacks on the postal system are meant to shift money to private entities like Fed Ex). The current panic regarding critical race theory is just a new version of a very old thing - fomenting confusion and cultural conflict in aid of maintaining white privilege.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 09:34 am
A bit earlier, george echoed what is a consistent line in right wing criticism of Dem administrations - "Those Democrats just refuse to cooperate with we Republicans in our good faith desire to work together". Any Republican who repeats this story is either 1) in on the scam or 2) really not paying attention because that's more convenient.
Quote:
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu was on the verge of running for Senate and delivering the Republican Party its biggest recruiting coup of 2022. Then he talked it over with Republican senators.

“I was pretty close,” Sununu told the Washington Examiner this month during an interview. “I wasn't ready to make an announcement, but I was like, 'OK, this makes sense. I think I could be a voice nationally.'” Everything changed after the governor consulted with Republican senators about the aspects of serving on Capitol Hill and what to expect for at least the first two years on the job. Sununu did not like what he heard.

“They were all, for the most part, content with the speed at which they weren't doing anything. It was very clear that we just have to hold the line for two years. OK, so I'm just going to be a roadblock for two years. That's not what I do,” Sununu said.

The governor said the message from virtually every GOP senator he chatted with — and he chatted with most of them — was that they plan to do little more with the majority they are fighting to win this November than obstruct President Joe Biden until, “hopefully,” 2024 ushers a Republican into the White House. “It bothered me that they were OK with that,” Sununu said.

More than that, Sununu was “bothered” by Republicans' seeming inability to answer this question: “I said, ‘OK, so if we're going to get stuff done if we win the White House back, why didn't you do it in 2017 and 2018?’” How did the Republicans Sununu spoke with answer his challenge? “Crickets. Yeah, crickets,” the governor said. “They had no answer.”
link here

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 10:50 am
@BillW,
Bill, you earlier brought up the Supreme Court and issues related to it's current membership (and how that membership was purposefully established) and on remedies. There's a very good debate on this here
DisneySucks

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 04:08 pm
I'm confused. The media said that Biden was the most popular president of all time, more popular than Obama.

‘Weak’ Joe Biden gets ‘F’ grade from 37% of Americans, poll shows

https://nypost.com/2022/01/19/joe-biden-gets-f-grade-from-37-of-americans-poll-shows/
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 05:59 pm

Supreme Court clears way for House to get 45's White House documents
(cnn)
BillW

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 08:06 pm
@blatham,
Thanks, btw, I have no idea how to fix it though. No one in the world truly believes what has happened in SCOTUS or in regards to voting rights (the hallmarks of a democracy) is fair!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 10:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
You've posted a piece of news and somebody doesn't like that news so gave your post a down vote. Somebody who, it seems, might not have gotten past the fourth grade.

Edit: and now, looking at the post immediately above yours, a clue comes into focus.

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 10:57 pm
Mitch McConnell:

“African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans”.
BillW

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 11:14 pm
@blatham,
Blatham, look your post.immediately above that - it KS voted down even though it is just an informative post.....
0 Replies