Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Mame

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
I loved the opposition saying "He didn't know he was at a party!" and there were 100 invited Smile That was funny.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 09:46 am
@Mame,
It's a farce. My best friend voted Brexit despite me telling him not to, he believed someone else.

He agrees it was the worst decision he ever made his business is very badly affected.

He sells antiques and since Brexit it's UK customers only anywhere else is way too complicated.

He used to sell all over the World, not any more.
Mame

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:20 am
@izzythepush,
I've been reading also about the labour shortages. I don't know what the right answer would have been.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:33 am
The leader of the Scottish Tories, Douglas Ross has called on Johnson to resign.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:44 am
@Mame,
The right answer was to remain in the EU. There have been no advantages to leaving at all, and many things are worse.

In September the army had to deliver petrol to service stations.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Douglas Ross has also written to the chairman of the 1922 Committee registering a lack of confidence in Johnson. If 54 mps register their lack of confidence there will be a leadership challenge.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 03:39 am
More revelations of parties in Downing Street during lockdown. This time on the eve of Prince Phillip's funeral with photos of the Queen sitting on her own during the service because she, like the rest of us, had to socially distance.

The only crumb of comfort for Johnson is that he was not there, instead spending the weekend at Chequers.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 04:59 am

https://iili.io/aZluUv.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 06:09 am
Four people have been arrested in Nigeria over alleged cannibalism.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 07:57 am
I’ll post this here, because it’s one of the more active threads, and I really don’t know where else to report it.

One of the sickos sent me this PM:

Quote:
Go back to Africa and pick my ******* cotton.

The sender put his name as ‘**** You’.

Nice to know I still have what it takes to piss off the **** for brains racists.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:00 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’ll post this here, because it’s one of the more active threads, and I really don’t know where else to report it.

One of the sickos sent me this PM:

Quote:
Go back to Africa and pick my ******* cotton.

The sender put his name as ‘**** You’.

Nice to know I still have what it takes to piss off the **** for brains racists.

Contact us is a direct messaging arena to contact a2k admins. And whoever PM that bs should be outright banned for life. Not suspended but banned.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:03 am
@snood,
I had a series of abusive pms from it as well. It's the creepy incel nono who spent most of his time whining about how he can't get a girlfriend and supporting rape culture.

He has a real problem with Firefly, he's been attacking her a lot in the pm's.

It shows how important we are to it, three years after its ban it's still desperate for our attention.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:05 am
@tsarstepan,
They already have been, they were banned as nono, and I assume they got banned yesterday as dogs.

They start another sockpuppet account and do it again.

It's happened to me more times than I care to mention.
hightor

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:16 am
HCR wrote:
While all eyes today are on the fight over the newly combined voting rights bill before the Senate—it is now the “Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act”—there are plenty of stories out there right now that make clear what is at stake if the Republicans are permitted to rig the rules so that they will win the next election.

Today the Department of Justice acknowledged that there was a seditious conspiracy behind the January 6 insurrection against our government.

The Justice Department indicted Oath Keepers leader [Elmer] Stewart Rhodes III and 10 other members of the Oath Keepers, a far-right antigovernment militia that specializes in recruiting veterans, for a number of crimes including seditious conspiracy in relation to the January 6 insurrection. Sedition is the crime of inciting a revolt against the government, and these men allegedly established training sessions and areas for staging equipment around Washington, D.C., before the insurrection to support an attack on that day. They also brought knives, tactical vests, radio equipment, and so on, to the Capitol on January 6.

Rhodes stated that, should Biden assume the office of the presidency, “We will have to do a bloody, massively bloody revolution against them. That’s what’s going to have to happen.” He wanted Trump to use military force to stop the transfer of presidential power. On Christmas Day, he messaged his co-conspirators about the January 6 joint session of Congress, “We need to make those senators very uncomfortable with all of us being a few hundred feet away…. I think Congress will screw him [Trump] over. The only chance we/he has is if we scare the **** out of them and convince them it will be torches and pitchforks time is [sic] they don’t do the right thing. But I don’t think they will listen.” On December 31, he wrote: “There is no standard political or legal way out of this.”

Officials produced a lot of evidence from encrypted messaging channels—suggesting they have access to encrypted messages—to support their argument that the conspirators intended to overturn the government. “You ain’t seen nothing yet,” one messaged another; and “We aren’t quitting!! We are reloading!!” They plotted going to Washington, D.C., getting hotel rooms, and stashing weapons, and then continued to communicate as they stormed the Capitol, evidently seeing themselves as the modern-day version of the patriots of the American Revolution (calling to mind Representative Lauren Boebert’s [R-CO] tweet the morning of January 6 that “Today is 1776.”).

After the insurrection, the conspirators continued to stockpile weapons and prepare for “next steps.” On January 20, the day of Biden’s inauguration, one messaged another: “After this…if nothing happens…its [sic] war…Civil War 2.0.”

The Oath Keepers provided security to Trump loyalist Roger Stone on January 5 and January 6. Stone has denied any involvement in the insurrection.

Tess Owen of Vice reported on January 5 about a similar right-wing gang active at the Capitol. Owen said that after the January 6 insurrection, for which nearly 50 members of their gang have been charged, the neofascist street-fighting gang the Proud Boys turned from the national stage to local right-wing culture wars. From January 6 to December 21, 2021, the Proud Boys appeared in uniform at least 114 times in 73 cities and 24 states, working to embed among local activists opposing critical race theory and vaccine mandates in order to expand their base of support. The Proud Boys are the gang Trump told to “stand back and stand by,” when reporter Chris Wallace, then of the Fox News Channel, asked him to condemn white supremacists.

It was not just members of street gangs who were involved in overturning the 2020 election. Last week, a new website called Insurrection Index, published by the voting rights organization Public Wise, established that more than 1000 people in elective office or positions of public trust around the country either spread the Big Lie that the 2020 election was fraudulent or participated in the January 6 insurrection.

Over the past several days, news has broken that lawmakers or partisan officials in various states forged documents claiming that Trump won the 2020 election. This links them to the insurrection; as conservative editor Bill Kristol of The Bulwark notes, false electoral counts were part of Trump’s plan to get then–Vice President Mike Pence to refuse to count a number of Biden’s electoral votes on the grounds that the states had sent in conflicting ballots.

Interestingly, on December 17, 2021, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told Fox News Channel personality Sean Hannity that in four states there were an “alternate slate of electors voted upon that Congress will decide in January.” McEnany talked to the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol yesterday.

The January 6th Committee also asked House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) yesterday to testify. He promptly refused, saying the committee is illegitimate (a court has said it is legitimate). The committee’s 6-page letter requesting McCarthy’s voluntary cooperation made it clear they have a lot of information.

In an interview with Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, New York University School of Law professor Ryan Goodman suggested that McCarthy might be able to shed light on whether Trump believed the rioters were helping his effort to overturn the election. Lawmakers who talked to McCarthy in January about his expletive-laden conversation with Trump as McCarthy tried to get him to call off the rioters reported that Trump’s answer to McCarthy was: “Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are.”

Sargent’s article suggests that, among other things, the committee wants to know if Trump tried to make a deal with McCarthy or others, indicating that he would call off the rioters if the Republicans either overturned the election results or delayed the count.

House Republicans have already begun to map out how they will retake the government, planning to investigate the Biden administration aggressively if they win control of the House in 2022, trying to stoke the culture wars before the 2024 election.

Last week, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) said on a podcast that the Republicans might well impeach Biden if they retake the House in 2022, “whether it’s justified or not.” He claimed the Democrats had “used [impeachment] for partisan purposes to go after Trump because they disagreed with him,” and that there would be “enormous pressure on a Republican house to do the same.”

Democrats impeached Trump, of course, not over policy differences but over two extraordinary acts. The first was Trump’s July 2019 attempt to strongarm Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky into smearing Trump’s leading challenger for the presidency, withholding congressionally appropriated money for Ukraine’s defense against Russia until Zelensky would agree to tell media that he was launching an investigation into Biden’s son. (It would be ironic if the Republicans acquitted Trump of just such a quid pro quo with Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky only to have him suggest a similar quid pro quo over their own lives.)

The second was inciting the January 6 insurrection.

And yet, despite all this, the Republican Party is lining up behind Trump’s wishes. Today the Republican National Committee announced that it plans to change its rules, refusing to permit any of its candidates to participate in debates run by the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates. The commission was founded by the Republicans and Democrats in 1987 to make formal debates part of the election process, and is actually supposed to arrange the debates with candidates, not party officials. Debates are not Trump’s strong suit, and he insists the commission is biased against him.

Tonight, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has adjourned the Senate tonight out of concerns about Covid and an upcoming storm. It will reconvene on Tuesday to debate voting rights.

substack
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
How do they keep starting new accounts? I’d think they would somehow be recognizable to admin. Also, the times on other boards when I’ve had to create a new account, I had to provide a different email address.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:26 am
@snood,
I don't know for sure, but they could be using computers at a library. I haven't seen an Internet cafe in years, but the libraries still provide computers. They're pretty nasty and I agree with tsar that they should be banned permanently.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:35 am
@snood,
You're asking the wrong person, but I have a list of usernames as long as my arm that have sent me unsolicited pms.

What sort of life is that, obsessing over a forum you've been banned from just to be nasty and banned again?
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:38 am
@izzythepush,
The life of someone with no friends and no interests. The life of a Loser.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:38 am
@Mame,
There is a character in Viz called Sid the Sexist, he is a sad pathetic loser who spends all his time lasting after women with hackneyed pick up lines and failing every time.

Nonceno is like an even more pathetic version of him, at least Sid is a Geordie, he's got that going for him.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 01:32 pm
Hello all ! Belated Christmas greetings and my wishes that all here have a good new year ahead.

Same old stuff here: angry manifestations at the "they" who question or reject your desire to impose "progressive" authoritarian controls on how others live their lives; doomsday expressions about COVID; and hints of a growing realization that the Biden Administration, and its legislative program is failing; - all coupled with increased efforts to turn exclusive attention to the dark Trumpian enemy out there who, by definition is opposed to all that is good, and bent on destroying your authoritarian prescriptions for "good behavior" and instead supports limited powers for government, individual liberty , initiative and responsibility).

That is indeed a prescription for continued depression, and I hope some, at least, are able to get over it.

The Omicron wave appears to be peaking in the states with heavy infection rates, and the pattern observed earlier in South Africa of a steep, sharp rise and equally sharp fall a few weeks later, together with only a very small rise in hospitalizations and mortality, appears, increasingly to be the rule. The data from the UK, which is a few days ahead of the U.S. in this progression, also confirms this.

In effect the virus has provided it's own vaccination with a low mortality, highly transmissible variant that appears to provide a degree of broad spectrum resistance to the virus's characteristics. This is not unusual in that natural selection favors the most transmissible forms of any viral disease (an intelligent parasite doesn't kill its host). This notwithstanding the darker view of the author of the rather ponderous paper Hightor posted a page back here.

Disease, pandemics and death will always be with us, but life, freedom and a degree of hard earned prosperity continue to be sweet.

I note reports in today's news that Russia is rejecting the efforts of U.S. & European negotiators to persuade them to remove their forces from the Donbass region of Ukraine, and has suggested it might send some of its troops to Cuba & Venezuela. A very different, and far more effective, approach would have been to have continued the development of the enormous U.S. reserves of gas and oil; retained the sanctions on the Russian Nord Stream pipeline to Germany, and now, in the face of the ongoing Russian aggressive provocations to have imposed additional sanctions on Russian, while assuring our European allies that we will provide any needed gas supplies if Russian impeded delivery in any way. -- And then start negotiations with Russia for the removal of their forces.

Now just who, among American leaders w0uld have done all that ???