Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 02:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Hi georgeob1!
Quote:
This notwithstanding the darker view of the author of the rather ponderous paper Hightor posted a page back here.

Were you referring to this? – Good Luck “Learning to Live With the Pandemic” — You’re Going to Need It

I hope you understand that my posting of articles is not an endorsement of the article in its entirety. I certainly don't buy the "eugenics" angle. If anyone had begun a discussion around the article that would have been made obvious in my replies.

Quote:
A very different, and far more effective, approach would have been to have continued the development of the enormous U.S. reserves of gas and oil...

It would certainly be effective in increasing our CO2 emissions. Both in shipping the product and in burning it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 06:20 pm
Isn't there a line of thought out there that if we didn't try to ring in Russia with our military bases they might not be as warlike over Ukraine?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 06:32 pm
I just received a PM from a member who identifies as 'f$ckyou' threatening me with physical violence. The member also mentioned firefly and claimed he was glad she was dead. Something definitely disturbed about a person who does that.

I don't know for sure what happened to firefly, she was very ill for awhile and hasn't posted in several years. I hope she is alright and just got bored dealing with the forum.
snood

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 06:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Did Oralloy get banned?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 06:41 pm
@snood,
I'm guessing he did, but I don't know for sure.
snood

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 07:02 pm
@glitterbag,
The reason I asked is because that PM you got sounds like some **** he would say.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:18 am
Breaking news Tsunami warning in Tonga after massive eruption.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 02:23 am
@snood,
I'm fairly retains it's nono. He had a real problem with Firefly and women in general. He was a sad pathetic incel who pretty much worshipped Hawkeye.

Oralloy is delusional, I really thinks he believes the nonsense he spouts, he's not just being spiteful.

Oralloy does try to modify his behaviour following a suspension. When nono was banned for a long time he started insulting and pming the second he got back. He lasted about a week if that.
hightor

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:47 am
Quote:
I note reports in today's news that Russia is rejecting the efforts of U.S. & European negotiators to persuade them to remove their forces from the Donbass region of Ukraine, and has suggested it might send some of its troops to Cuba & Venezuela. A very different, and far more effective, approach would have been to have continued the development of the enormous U.S. reserves of gas and oil; retained the sanctions on the Russian Nord Stream pipeline to Germany, and now, in the face of the ongoing Russian aggressive provocations to have imposed additional sanctions on Russian, while assuring our European allies that we will provide any needed gas supplies if Russian impeded delivery in any way. -- And then start negotiations with Russia for the removal of their forces.

Now just who, among American leaders w0uld have done all that ???

It looks like georgeob1 is going to honor us with occasional visits, drop a few ornate brain farts, and then hurry out before actually engaging with any people dumb enough to reply. Knowing the way georgeob1 thinks, his rhetorical final question is an obvious reference to the former guy. But, given our actual experience with the former guy, we know that this is not anything he'd ever really manage to do. Remember his big "infrastructure plan"? How about the Wall? Eliminate the federal deficit? Nope.

georgeob1 apparently thinks that the former guy had some talent when it comes to international affairs and conducting tough negotiations on the world stage. Yes – remember North Korea?

One might point out that the former guy complained about the Russian Nord Stream pipeline early in his term but he never put anything like georgeob1's outline into practice. And, instead of supporting our ally Ukraine and working to get Putin to remove troops from the Donbass, the former guy used his clout to try to strongarm Ukranian President Zelensky to lie about Joe Biden.

Now, there are some good points about the strategy outlined by georgeob1. That might be why the Biden administration is currently working with international energy companies and the European Commission to supply Europe withliquefied natural gas in the event of disruptions due to Russia.
Reuters wrote:
U.S. exports of liquefied natural gas (LNG) are set to soar this year to make it the world's top LNG supplier. Europe competes for LNG supplies from suppliers such as the United States and Qatar with top consumers China and Japan, which also face an energy crunch.

snood

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm fairly retains it's nono. He had a real problem with Firefly and women in general. He was a sad pathetic incel who pretty much worshipped Hawkeye.

Oralloy is delusional, I really thinks he believes the nonsense he spouts, he's not just being spiteful.

Oralloy does try to modify his behaviour following a suspension. When nono was banned for a long time he started insulting and pming the second he got back. He lasted about a week if that.

Lucky us. We get to sort and collate batshit sociopaths.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:04 am
@snood,
At this rate we'll be able to get a PhD in arsehole recognition.

Bloody spellcheck, certain, not retains.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 05:56 pm
Quote:
Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski
3h
Woman at Trump rally today was asked what she likes the most about Trump. She says that “he’s a godly man.”

Yup. That nails him dead center.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 05:57 pm
@hightor,
Well I do drop back in to read responses to my posts, and will here reply to hightor.

The "former guy" in hightor's comments was, of course then President Trump. Unfortunately hightor has his facts wrong about Trump's actions with respect to the then planned Nord Stream pipeline. Trump in fact had imposed effective economic sanctions on it and the participants in the program, which had effectively stopped its progress. Removing them was one of the several vindictive and imbecilic actions our sadly declining President took in his first day in office. Another was to summarily stop work on ongoing contracts to build important new sections of the border wall. Interestingly Biden has recently - and very quietly - resumed work on several sections.

It was Trump who initiated the massive expansion of the extraction of our huge natural gas resources (which Biden, again soon after taking office, severely restricted). Trump's actions in this area had yielded the large-scale transformation of our coal generation of electrical power to cheaper, cleaner natural gas, doing so through the simple action of natural economic forces. This yielded the larger (both relative and quantitative) reductions in GHG emissions than were achieved ,during his term, by any of the signatories of the Rome treaty ( and doing so without the bad side effects of the government bureaucratic regulation and new taxes. preferred by self-styled "progressives" = stupid closet authoritarians). He transformed us from an importer, dependent on the actions of OPEC and Russia, to a major exporter with substantial leverage on setting the world price for these products and, significantly to becoming a large exporter of oil & gas. This a gave us substantial leverage in setting the world trade price for these products and, significantly, started our LNG gas exports to Europe. (Biden's recent and hapless activity in this area does little, given the inhibitions to increased gas production he himself initiated immediately on office. Moreover his ability to influence events in Europe has largely vanished due to his amply demonstrated incompetence in international affairs (it appears Robert Gates' comment on this in his book were sadly accurate.)

Trump vigorously supported Ukraine's independence and worked to limit the internal corruption that threatened its economic progress. In stark contrast, Biden was an active participant in that corruption, and misused the role assigned to him by Obama to do it, even bragging publicly (in his usual - and sadly comical - pseudo-macho style) to force the removal of a Ukrainian prosecutor who was then threatening a major corporate participant in that corruption (which soon afterwards appointed Biden's wayward son to a lucrative role on its board.)

I'll concede it's difficult to see much wisdom, competence, or real leadership in Biden's actions. As a result his committed defenders are forced to such exertions and distortions in defending him. It's not easy putting lipstick on an angry, demented pig

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 06:40 pm
I'll continue to occasionally visit this site to check back with old friends and conversation partners. I have no personal animosity to anyone here and indeed still enjoy some lingering regard for old friends like Blatham an Frank Apisa.

We inhabit a western world that everywhere is increasingly beset by the collapse of old traditions, institutions and social norms. The Irish poet, W. B. Yeats described a similar time in Ireland during the revolution in the early 20th century : he called it "The second Coming" the first stanzas are an apt description of the present scene. They go like this;

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
….

In his Peloponnesian War History Thucydides wrote an often quoted description of a similar breakdown of civic norms in the island city, then called Corcyra, and now known as Corfu. The results were the destruction of Corcyra, war between the empires of Sparta and Athens, and the ultimate destruction of both. Here's an excerpt;

Thus every form of iniquity took root in the Hellenic countries by reason of the troubles. The ancient simplicity into which honour so largely entered was laughed down and disappeared; and society became divided into camps in which no man trusted his fellow. To put an end to this, there was neither promise to be depended upon, nor oath that could command respect; but all parties dwelling rather in their calculation upon the hopelessness of a permanent state of things, were more intent upon self-defence than capable of confidence. In this contest the blunter wits were most successful. Apprehensive of their own deficiencies and of the cleverness of their antagonists, they feared to be worsted in debate and to be surprised by the combinations of their more versatile opponents, and so at once boldly had recourse to action: while their adversaries, arrogantly thinking that they should know in time, and that it was unnecessary to secure by action what policy afforded, often fell victims to their want of precaution.
Meanwhile Corcyra gave the first example of most of the crimes alluded to; of the reprisals exacted by the governed who had never experienced equitable treatment or indeed aught but insolence from their rulers- when their hour came; of the iniquitous resolves of those who desired to get rid of their accustomed poverty, and ardently coveted their neighbours' goods; and lastly, of the savage and pitiless excesses into which men who had begun the struggle, not in a class but in a party spirit, were hurried by their ungovernable passions. In the confusion into which life was now thrown in the cities, human nature, always rebelling against the law and now its master, gladly showed itself ungoverned in passion, above respect for justice, and the enemy of all superiority; since revenge would not have been set above religion, and gain above justice, had it not been for the fatal power of envy. Indeed men too often take upon themselves in the prosecution of their revenge to set the example of doing away with those general laws to which all alike can look for salvation in adversity, instead of allowing them to subsist against the day of danger when their aid may be required.
Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 06:41 pm
https://twitter.com/koparafallskid/status/1481577211140636673?s=12<br /> <br />

I don’t know if this video can be opened from here. Anyone who can see it may be able to answer, how the **** do you live in the US?
roger

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 06:45 pm
@georgeob1,

georgeob1 wrote:

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

I think of that line almost every day.

Oh, I'm always glad to see you show up, George.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:18 pm
@Wilso,
We like dying from lack of health care over here. It's what separates the men from the boys.
Wilso wrote:

https://twitter.com/koparafallskid/status/1481577211140636673?s=12<br /> <br />

I don’t know if this video can be opened from here. Anyone who can see it may be able to answer, how the **** do you live in the US?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:33 pm
@izzythepush,
There's two different nonono socks on these days. Both use nnn in their name.

I've never read a threat post from oralloy.
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 03:09 am
@georgeob1,
Thucydides, apparently, was paid by the word.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 05:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There's a lot more than two.
0 Replies