Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette3

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2021 08:27 am
Quote:
They Say They Are Attacking Abortion. They Are Really Hurting the Poor.

For people who live in poverty in America, getting medical care is never easy. In Texas, health care for the poor is particularly challenging: Medicaid rules are among the most stringent in the country. A family of four with two parents must earn less than $285 per month to qualify. And for those who do receive Medicaid, finding a provider can present even greater challenges. It’s about to get worse.

For the past several years, Texas politicians have worked to cut off Medicaid recipients’ access to the wide range of services offered by Planned Parenthood. Now, barring an extension of a state district court’s temporary block on their efforts, they may have gotten their way.

Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, and like-minded state officials targeted Planned Parenthood because it offers abortion services. But abortion services account for just a fraction of the care we provide, which means the consequences of a new policy would be far more sweeping.

If it goes into effect, this policy would block patients’ access to blood pressure checks, cancer screenings, birth control, S.T.D. treatment and other medical care routinely provided at Planned Parenthood health centers in Texas, where I serve as a medical director for primary care. Nationally these other essential services, not abortion care, account for 96 percent of Planned Parenthood’s patient visits; in Texas, for example, some 24,000 Medicaid patients received non-abortion care over the past four years.

Already, federal Medicaid funds cannot be used for abortion care. The 1976 Hyde Amendment banned federal funding for abortions, except in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest. But most states allow patients with Medicaid to use their coverage to get other essential care at our health centers.

Republicans in Texas have been trying to cut Planned Parenthood from its Medicaid program for several years. In February 2017, a federal judge temporarily blocked these efforts, but last November, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit reversed the lower court’s ruling. A temporary stay of that decision has left our patients in limbo, not knowing whether they will lose access to our services. Though the final decision has been postponed once more due to Texas’ sudden blackout calamity, the concern still looms.

I’ve seen up close patients’ struggles to get medical care and the harms that result from lack of access. A woman I care for stopped taking her medication for hypertension after losing her insurance coverage; her blood pressure spiked to life-threatening levels and rendered her ineligible for a needed surgery.

Another one of my patients needs monthly monitoring for a rare precancerous condition. Until this month, Medicaid covered the cost of her monthly testing with us; under this policy, she would be forced to try to find another doctor.

That’s not as easy as it sounds. Larger cities, like the one where I practice, have plenty of other medical providers. However, Texas’ Medicaid program pays less than most private insurance. Surveyed in 2016, some 55 percent of primary care providers said they would not accept Medicaid patients in their practice. As a result, what should be a straightforward process of finding a new provider is all but impossible for a patient with Medicaid coverage.

When I told my patient that Texas would no longer allow her to use Medicaid to pay for her cancer screenings with us, she was shocked and angry that the medical care she was counting on was suddenly off limits.

One way to avoid this problem would be for Texas to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. If it did, some 1.4 million uninsured Texans would finally have medical care within reach. Yet Texas, along with 12 other states, still refuses to do so. It would save thousands of lives, primarily in communities of color. Medicaid expansion would also protect low-income Texans from financially catastrophic medical bills after hospitalizations for medical complications — many of which could have been prevented if they had insurance. For example, one of my patients has epilepsy. Because she is uninsured and can’t afford her preventive medications, she continues to have life-threatening seizures that often land her in the hospital.

States’ denials of health care coverage, including Texas’ refusal to expand Medicaid, contributed to 461,000 excess deaths in 2018 that would have been averted if the United States had kept up with other wealthy countries, a tragedy documented in a report by my colleagues and me published this month in The Lancet. As we detailed in that paper, Texas’ Medicaid restrictions mirror broader public health failures under the Trump administration, including its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. We found that the prior administration’s inept response led to Covid-19 death rates that are 40 percent higher than those of other wealthy countries, with the heaviest burden falling on people of color.

Texas isn’t the only state to try to keep public funds from Planned Parenthood — and it’s our poorest patients who suffer as a result. President Biden has vowed to stop states from such nakedly political attacks on health care providers that also offer abortions, such as Planned Parenthood. But short of timely new federal action, I’m worried my Medicaid patients will have lost a critical source of health care after the next hearing on the issue.

Ideologically driven attacks on health care access have extremely harmful real-world consequences. In these difficult times, we need to make medical care more available, not less.

nyt
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 11:46 am
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/15/29/58/1529583b26661229d3fd7232867614b8.jpg
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 11:54 am
White House announces sweeping immigration bill

By Priscilla Alvarez and Lauren Fox, CN

(CNN)The White House announced a sweeping immigration bill Thursday that would create an eight-year path to citizenship for millions of immigrants already in the country and provide a faster track for undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children.

The legislation faces an uphill climb in a narrowly divided Congress, where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has just a five-vote margin and Senate Democrats do not have the 60 Democratic votes needed to pass the measure with just their party's support.

Administration officials argued Wednesday evening that the legislation was an attempt by President Joe Biden to restart a conversation on overhauling the US immigration system and said he remained open to negotiating.

"He was in the Senate for 36 years, and he is the first to tell you the legislative process can look different on the other end than where it starts," one administration official said in a call with reporters, adding that Biden would be "willing to work with Congress."

What to know about the situation at the US-Mexico border

The effort comes as there are multiple standalone bills in Congress aimed at revising smaller pieces of the country's immigration system. Sens. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, and Majority Whip Dick Durbin, a Democrat from Illinois, for example, have reintroduced their DREAM Act, which would provide a path to citizenship for immigrants who came to the country illegally as children.

Administration officials said the best path forward and plans either to pass one bill or break it into multiple pieces would be up to Congress.

"There's things that I would deal by itself, but not at the expense of saying, 'I'm never going to do the other.' There is a reasonable path to citizenship," Biden said at a CNN town hall in Milwaukee on Tuesday.

"The President is committed to working with Congress to engage in conversations about the best way forward," one administration official said.

Officials did not say if they believed that the reconciliation process, a special budget tool that applies only to a specific subset of legislation and allows the Senate to pass bills with a simple majority, would be applicable for an immigration bill. "Too early to speculate about it right now," one official said.

The Senate is working on passing the President's coronavirus relief legislation through reconciliation. The expectation is that the administration could also use the process to pass an infrastructure bill.

Biden's immigration bill will be introduced by Democrats Bob Menendez of New Jersey in the Senate and Linda Sanchez of California in the House.

Here's what the bill, titled the US Citizenship Act of 2021, includes:

Plan for a pathway to citizenship
The legislation goes further than the last effort in 2013 by cutting the time to acquire citizenship to eight years instead of 13, according to an administration official.

First, individuals would be in a temporary status for five years, with three years until they get citizenship, amounting to an eight-year path.

There's an exception for undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children, who fall under a form of humanitarian relief known as Temporary Protected Status or who are farmworkers. Those individuals can go directly to green cards if they meet requirements, including passing background checks.

To be eligible for the bill's legalization plan, immigrants must have been in the country before January 1, 2021.

Terminology change
Biden's proposed bill, if passed, also would remove the word "alien" from US immigration laws, replacing it with the term "noncitizen." The change, an administration official said, is "to better reflect the President's values on immigration."

US code currently defines "alien" as "any person not a citizen or national of the United States."

Officials in the past have pointed to the term's prevalence in US laws to defend their word choices.

But the term "illegal alien," long decried as a dehumanizing slur by immigrant rights advocates, became even more of a lightning rod during the Trump era -- with some top federal officials encouraging its use and several states and local governments taking up measures to ban it.

Clear backlogs
The bill would exempt certain categories from counting toward annual caps. For example, spouses, partners and children under the age of 21 of lawful permanent residents would be exempt from the caps.

The bill also provides funding to US Citizenship and Immigration Services to chip away at the backlog of asylum applications.

Changes to the legal immigration system
The bill provides funding for more immigration judges and puts an emphasis on access to counsel. It authorizes funding for counsel for children and vulnerable individuals, and eliminates the one-year limit for filing an asylum case.

The measure would also repeal the bars to reentering the United States if an individual had previously been illegally residing in the country.

It increases the number of available so-called diversity visas, which are awarded by random selection in select countries to promote immigration from places that don't otherwise send many immigrants to the US. The bill would up the number of visas granted annually from 55,000 to 80,000, according to an administration official.

The legislation proposes creating a commission composed of employers, labor unions and civil rights advocates to make recommendations on improving worker verification, according to an administration official. The measure would also increase protections for immigrants who come forward to report labor violations and increase penalties for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers.

Invest in US-Mexico border and Central America
The bill would address root causes of migration and work to tackle them by, for example, cracking down on smugglers and narcotics and trafficking networks. It would seek to create legal and safer pathways for migration by setting up refugee processing in Central America and would create a $4 billion investment plan in the region.

"It will be developed in a bipartisan manner, first of all, but it also will require countries in the region to reaffirm a commitment to corruption, to invest their own resources and take action to reform their systems," an administration official said.

The measure also includes enhancing technology and infrastructure at the border, like enhanced screening at ports of entry.

CNN's Catherine Shoichet contributed to this report.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/biden-immigration-legislation/index.html
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2021 01:03 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The sad part is even on a thread about Biden we can only talk Trump. He's completely distorted our country.

What upsets me more is that it doesn't seem like everyone here is not doing their part in thumbing up the negative counts on similar-minded participants - at least to counter the idiots (or more likely singular) who are VPNing their way past the one up/down vote per a2k account.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:57 am
I’m Freezing Cold and Burning Mad in Texas

The state’s power outages have revealed the difference between performative governance and actually governing.

Quote:
ere in Dallas, my family and I have intermittently been without power for three days. On Monday night, the coldest night on record in three decades, we were without power for 12 long hours. I pitched a tent in my children’s bedroom, and all of us—Mom, Dad, three kids, Scout the dog—huddled together for warmth under sleeping bags and heavy blankets.

Most houses in Texas are poorly insulated, to put it mildly. Poor Scout’s water bowl in the kitchen froze solid overnight. Indeed, when power was restored for a few hours on Tuesday morning, my wife and I scrambled to unfreeze any pipes that had seized up in spite of the fact that we had left the faucets dripping. At one point, my wife—a tough woman, and a water and sanitation engineer by training—climbed under the house and thawed out a pipe with a blow-dryer.

We have been, we must admit, very lucky. Each night, as we have said our prayers, we have thanked God for the many blessings that have been bestowed upon us. As has been apparent since the start of this emergency, the worst effects of this storm have been visited upon the most vulnerable. I shudder to think about the ways in which the poor, the homeless, and the elderly have suffered in this crisis.

Major cities across the state have opened “warming centers,” and churches and schools have opened their doors, but when the roads are so treacherous, one wonders how the vulnerable are supposed to reach shelter. The entirety of North Texas has just 30 snowplows—or about as many as you would expect to see deployed in a single neighborhood in Chicago.

The biggest story for Texans, however, is the failure of our state’s electrical grid, managed by the inaccurately named Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT. Texas, as part of its regular and continuing efforts to distance itself from federal oversight, maintains its own electrical grid—unique in the nation—which has been overwhelmed by the storm’s effects.

You might be surprised to learn that Texas is the Saudi Arabia of wind energy, and that wind turbines in the panhandle generate much of our power. Many of those turbines have failed in the low temperatures, and conservatives both in Texas and across the country have gleefully claimed as a result that renewables cannot be trusted to provide power in emergencies. There is, as ever, a very small grain of truth to that.

But the data—forever inconvenient to those looking to confirm their priors—suggest the failure goes well beyond renewables. If anything, wind and solar have overperformed in this crisis relative to fossil fuels, and to natural-gas-fired generation in particular. The irony of Texas—the natural-gas capital of the Western Hemisphere, where technological advances in hydraulic fracturing have remade the world’s energy map over the past decade—failing to generate enough natural-gas-fired power is lost on none of the state’s 29 million citizens.

Well, almost none of its 29 million citizens.

There is a certain kind of conservative politician here in Texas who spends a sizable part of his day obsessing about the state of California. Such politicians have spent much of the past few years mercilessly teasing the progressive leadership of California for the failures of the state’s power grid.

These politicians have been, for the most part, conspicuously quiet since the crisis began here. The state’s governor, Greg Abbott, has mostly popped up on reliably friendly media outlets—local news stations, the evening shows on Fox News—where he knows he will not face hard questions.

But hard questions will be asked, because the failures of ERCOT ultimately belong to the leaders of a state who insisted that, by design, the buck must stop with them and not with the federal government. “The ERCOT grid has collapsed in exactly the same manner as the old Soviet Union,” one expert told the Houston Chronicle. “It limped along on underinvestment and neglect until it finally broke under predictable circumstances.”

Fixing ERCOT will require actual governance, as opposed to performative governance, and that is something the state’s leadership has struggled with of late. Rather than address the challenges associated with rapid growth, the state’s elected leaders have preferred to focus on various lib-owning initiatives such as the menace of transgender athletes, whether or not NBA games feature the national anthem, and—in a triumph of a certain brand of contemporary “conservatism”—legislating how local municipalities can allocate their own funds.

I’m anxious to see how our governor, in particular, will respond to this crisis, because I have never witnessed a more cowardly politician. When Abbott faces a challenge—and he has faced several in the past year alone—you can always depend on him to take the shape of water, forever finding the path of least resistance. I have no idea why the man became a politician, as I can discern no animating motive behind his acts beyond just staying in office.

During the coronavirus pandemic, which has taken the lives of 41,000 Texans so far, the governor first delegated as much responsibility—and political risk—as possible to the state’s mayors and county judges. When those same local officials decided that things like mask mandates and restaurant closures might be good ideas, which became unpopular with the governor’s donors, he overruled them. But when deaths spiked, Abbot decided that—surprise!—local leaders had retained the power to enforce mask mandates all along and that it was their fault for not solving his coronavirus riddle.

I am anxious to see how the governor weasels his way out of responsibility for what happens next. I wouldn’t want to be Texas’s new speaker of the House, Dade Phelan, to whom the governor will likely attempt to shift all the blame.

In the meantime, Texans, being Texans, are not waiting for politicians to solve their most immediate problems. Neighbors who might have fallen out during the Great Yard Sign Wars of 2020 are shoveling one another’s driveways, sharing power from their generators, and opening their homes to those less fortunate. We have all had a good laugh at the gloriously unhinged Facebook post by the now-former mayor of Colorado City, Texas, who—writing as if he were one of the first Anglo-Texan frontiersmen—told Texans to fend for themselves. “Only the strong will survive,” he thundered, “and the weak will parish [sic].”

That’s the spirit.

Yesterday, in fact, my heavily pregnant co-worker—whose own home never lost power—offered to drive by my darkened house with food for my children. I told her to stay off the roads for her own safety, but as I write this, she is in labor at a local hospital. By the time you read this, her daughter may already have been born.

What a welcome to Texas she is receiving.

theatlantic
revelette3

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 08:46 am
@hightor,
Meanwhile Cruz takes a vacation, lies about the reason and gets caught up in his sticky web by his wife's emails to her neighbors.

0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 11:41 am
Biden at G7 will pledge $4B for global vaccines, stress US commitment to multilateralism
Also Friday, the U.S. will officially rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

President Biden on Friday plans to reinforce a U.S. commitment to engaging with the international community during virtual meetings of the G7 and the Munich Security Conference.

Biden's plans include announcing an initial $2 billion donation to the World Health Organization’s COVAX program, which aims to distribute vaccines around the world, senior administration officials said. A later donation would raise the total to $4 billion.

While speaking with world leaders, Biden plans to focus on the coronavirus pandemic, its worldwide economic fallout and the climate crisis.

"Now he will get the opportunity as president of the United States early in his term to declare that America is back and the transatlantic alliance is back, and he will look forward to driving home the core proposition that the transatlantic alliance is a cornerstone for American engagement in the world in the 21st century, just as it was in the 20th," an official told reporters.

Also Friday, the U.S. will officially rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement. The U.S. previously halted plans to withdraw from the WHO and an official said Biden will likely discuss returning the U.S. to the Iran nuclear deal that was negotiated in 2015. All the actions would mark reversals from the Trump administration.

"We are keen to sit down and hear what the Iranians have to say we want to come up with a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear program," an official said. "I think we have a path forward to return to nuclear diplomacy in a way that could ultimately put us on a positive path."

"At the G7, the President is eager to reinforce his commitment to returning the United States to multilateral engagement," the official said, "and in particular to engaging with the major democracies and market economies of the world on a common agenda."

Regarding China, an official said the president isn't looking for a confrontation.

"He's not looking for a new Cold War, but he's expecting stiff competition and he welcomes it."

The official said Biden believes the U.S. and other democracies "should all work together to push back against the Chinese government practices and policies that are economically abusive that run counter to our shared values."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 11:54 am
@neptuneblue,
It was very well noticed here (and in Europe, generally) that Biden spoke about the struggles of democracy and the importance of building close alliances with foreign leaders.

His speech was a "a 15-minute ode to the power of alliances" as the NYT called it.

At this moment, special climate envoy John Kerry is speaking. This item on the programme can also be seen as a demonstrative sign of a break with the Trump era - Trump had repeatedly negated climate change, while Biden declared the issue a top priority.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 11:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Climate change is also a question of security, Kerry emphasises. It is a question of energy and food security, but also of physical security. Therefore, countermeasures must be taken. He stressed that the world had recently wasted time - and that was partly Trump's fault. "What do we do from now until 2030, we have to talk about that," he said.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:00 pm
Talk is cheap
Action needs to be taken but it is probably too late.
Builder

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:44 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
The legislation faces an uphill climb in a narrowly divided Congress, where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has just a five-vote margin and Senate Democrats do not have the 60 Democratic votes needed to pass the measure with just their party's support.

Isn't that how a democratic system should be operating?
Builder

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:52 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Action needs to be taken but it is probably too late.

That was the opinion of science when the CFC's blew a gigantic hole in the ozone layer over the southern hemisphere, but given time, and removing that chemical from refrigerants, the hole is almost undetectable.

The planet is a dynamic whole, rather than a fixed entity.

And the US of A is just one of the factors involved.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 06:58 pm
@Builder,
The party's are supposed to work to find common grou to get things done when they disagree. Since Newt Gingrich's Contract on America in 1992, exacerbated during the obama admn and1000% percent in the trump maladministration, the GOP is not interested in working with democrats. It's their way or the highway, and their way sucks.
BillW

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 07:03 pm
Earth needs the same thing that Mars needs to build an atmosphere - trees, and lots of them. In the mean time, it needs people to not put as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, the main product trees eat.

Without an appropriate ratio, one day earth's atmosphere will become so out of balance, it will blow off, out into the Universe.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 07:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Looking in from the outside, It would appear that Pelosi is just as polarised, in not wanting to work with republicans on anything.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2021 09:32 pm
@Builder,
she's tried. they're not interested.
Builder

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 12:37 am
@MontereyJack,
All we've seen, is her slap happy attempts to impeach your president.
BillW

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 12:57 am
@Builder,
He was impeached - twice! He was not convicted with a 67% plurality. If you are going to try to understand our Constitution, get it right, please. The House impeached, the Senate convicts. He is the only person to be impeached twice. Impeachment is a great stain, this is why Nixon resigned when facing the possibility of impeachment. McConnell declared tRump guilty after the trail because he was attempting to save face for his place in history. I don't think it happened, it will forever be doodoo.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2021 02:06 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
All we've seen, is her slap happy attempts to impeach your president.

Were you cut off from the internet or why didn't all this reach you?
As BillW wrote:
He was impeached - twice!