Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

BillW

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2021 09:54 pm
@roger,
Nl problem! We can make an unmet friends threesome. One true Republican, a true Dem and a centrist dem!
roger

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2021 10:13 pm
@BillW,
xlnt
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 09:55 am
Mitch McConnell makes absolutely no sense at all, I mean just read his back and forth statements.

McConnell, Denouncing Trump After Voting to Acquit, Says His Hands Were Tied

So do ya'll think if the House sent over the impeachment papers before Trump left office, McConnell would have called back the senate and actually got the trial underway before Trump left office? I mean how many days did they have, I forget exactly. I don't know what is in his mind. Kind of like Comey when he said he couldn't charge Hillary but then went on scathing scolding and laid out all the reasons he should have.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 10:09 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

Mitch McConnell makes absolutely no sense at all, I mean just read his back and forth statements.

Perhaps so...but I, for one, am happy he said what he said.

snood

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 10:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette3 wrote:

Due respect, but he’s so full of **** he squeaks. What difference does it make if he says the right thing when it served him, but won’t ever do the right thing.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 11:08 am
@snood,
One again, after creating a big mess and not even tryin to fix it, this disaster is handed over to the democrats to fix. The loyal opposition will drag their feet, rediscover the 'urgent' deficit (recommend cutting social programs) and call for a reduction in taxes for the job creators. Same bullshit, different day.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 12:11 pm
@glitterbag,
If Trump had physically led the mob into the capital building the spinless Republicans wouldn't have convicted him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 01:37 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette3 wrote:

Due respect, but he’s so full of **** he squeaks. What difference does it make if he says the right thing when it served him, but won’t ever do the right thing.

I agree, Snood...on most occasions he won't. Lots of that on that side of the aisle. Susan Collins comes immediately to mind...although she did do the right thing on this occasion.

But I am still am happy that McConnell said what he did.

I suspect those comments will come into play...and impact positively (from my perspective) on things to come.

I may be wrong.

We will see.

This might be a good time to mention Lisa Murkowski...who has managed to impress me mightily during the last several months. We need a loyal opposition party...and I would love to see the Republican Party move in her direction.
revelette3

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
His excuse for his vote and his sentiment is a pure cop out. I am just not sure what his strategy is other than getting out Trump and his type of followers from being in power. I mean he could have done the same with a vote to convict.

Not sure he can do it, but I guess we'll see.

Regardless, even the old guard republicans were terrible. They wanted to live tax free, no government except for wars. But at least they weren't nuts like the ones who have been in power during Trump's era.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 04:20 pm
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/02/14/us/politics/14impeachment-briefing-republican-backlash/14impeachment-briefing-republican-backlash-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
The executive committee of the Louisiana Republican Party voted to censure Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana over his vote to convict former President Donald J. Trump.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2021 10:25 pm
theRump always said he could create an Insurrection to take over the Government of the USA, invade and trash the Capitol building, and kill 7 people including 3 cops on National TV and then be found innocent by the Republicans in the House and Senate!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 07:07 am
The sad part is even on a thread about Biden we can only talk Trump. He's completely distorted our country.
snood

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 08:41 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The sad part is even on a thread about Biden we can only talk Trump. He's completely distorted our country.

Yup. Laid waste to rule of law. Took a big, four year long dump on the constitution. Raped the truth. Fomented distrust in the media and stirred division in every way.

I think the ONLY thing that might wean us off of our PTSD-induced talking about Trump is if he is held to account for his deeds and suffers serious consequences. It might give us the closure we need.
BillW

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 11:02 am
@snood,
We had that possibility Saturday. Any other prosecutions will take years just to get to trial!
BillW

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 11:09 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

We had that possibility Saturday. Any other prosecutions will take years just to get to trial!

Question, if tRump is in prison and gets elected president, does he automatically get out of jail free until he has served his term?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 01:10 pm
US condemns 'PKK' attack under pressure from Turkey
Quote:
Washington has bowed to pressure from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who accused the US of supporting terrorism. Ankara says Kurdish rebels killed 13 Turkish hostages. At first, the US treated this claim as unconfirmed.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken called his Turkish counterpart on Monday, and said Washington concurred that the Kurdish PKK group "bears responsibility" for the killings of 13 Turkish hostages in Iraq at the weekend. The move followed condemnations from Ankara after the first US reaction expressed condolences but did not categorically blame the PKK.

"The Secretary expressed condolences for the deaths of Turkish hostages in northern Iraq and affirmed our view that PKK terrorists bear responsibility," a State Department press release said on Monday.

Hours earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had accused the US of backing the outlawed Kurdish militia group — after Washington did not immediately back up Ankara's claims over who was responsible.

The government said on Sunday that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) had executed 13 Turkish hostages in a cave in Iraq. The PKK blamed Turkish airstrikes.

The State Department initially responded to the incident by saying: "If reports of the death of Turkish civilians at the hands of the PKK, a designated terrorist organization, are confirmed, we condemn this action in the strongest possible terms."

The comments drew sharp criticism from the Turkish president in a televised address to his supporters. In it, he told Washington: "You said you did not support terrorists, when in fact you are on their side and behind them."

Erdogan claims a free pass in Iraq
The original US statement and the subsequent phone call stressed the importance of the bilateral relationship between the countries.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu had expressed his frustration with the silence from "countries that are supposedly claiming to battle terrorism."

The Foreign Ministry had also summoned the US ambassador in Ankara, David Satterfield, on Monday.

Erdogan said no individual or country had the right to "question, criticize or oppose Turkey's operations in Iraq and Syria" after the "bloodbath" that occurred in northern Iraq.

He urged the United States to show support. "If we are together with you in NATO, if we are to continue our unity, then you will act sincerely towards us. Then, you will stand with us, not with the terrorists," Erdogan said.

US-Turkish relations under strain
Recent years have seen ongoing tensions between the NATo allies. The US, along with the EU, classes the PKK as a terrorist organization, however, Washington has worked closely with YPJ and YPG fighters to fight Islamic State in Syria — these mostly Kurdish forces are inextricably linked with either the PKK's cause, or even the group itself.

Erdogan has said he wants to rebuild relations with the new US administration, but Washington's support for Kurds in Syria and Iraq continues to be a strain on the relationship.

The Turkish government carried out mass arrests on Monday of at least 718 people it claimed to be supporters of the PKK, including provincial leaders of the pro-Kurdish HDP party. Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian approach at home in recent years has made it more difficult for allies to stand by his allegations.
... ... ...
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2021 04:03 pm
Biden is winning Republican support for his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan. Just not in Washington.

Quote:
Republicans in Congress overwhelmingly oppose the relief bill, casting it as bloated and budget-busting, with some heaping particular scorn on a measure to send $350 billion in assistance to states and cities. Should Biden go ahead without their approval, GOP leaders say, it will prove that his mantra of bipartisanship rings hollow.

But to many Republicans at city halls and statehouses across the country, the relief package looks very different. Instead of the “blue-state bailout” derided by GOP lawmakers, Republican mayors and governors say they see badly needed federal aid to keep police on the beat, to prevent battered Main Street businesses from going under and to help care for the growing ranks of the homeless and the hungry.

“It’s not a Republican issue or a Democrat issue,” said Dyer, who became mayor last month following a long career as the city’s police chief. “It’s a public health issue. It’s an economic issue. And it’s a public safety issue.”

Surveys show that a broad majority of Americans support the assistance, including large numbers of Republicans. Only a minority among Republican voters agree with GOP lawmakers that the aid package is too large, polls have found.
There has been some relief. The Cares Act, signed into law by President Donald Trump last March, included $150 billion for states and for the nation’s 38 largest cities. But money had to be spent directly on coronavirus expenses, creating logistical hurdles in getting it out the door. Nearly a year later, some of it remains unspent, a point Republicans make in arguing for why additional taxpayer dollars should not be allocated.

The aid proposed by Biden would not have the same restrictions. Mayors say that will make it easier to quickly get it into the hands of those who need it and to stimulate economic growth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/local-republicans-support-biden-covid-relief-plan/2021/02/14/9791d4ba-6d65-11eb-9ed1-73d434b5147f_story.html
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2021 03:13 am
H.C. Richardson wrote:
(...) The Senate trial also gave powerful proof of just how undemocratic the Senate has become. Voting rights journalist Ari Berman noted that the “57 senators who voted to convict Trump represent 76.7 MILLION more Americans than 43 senators who voted to acquit.”

Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne noted that the adherence of all but seven senators to Trump “should end the absurd talk that there is a burden on President Biden to achieve a bipartisan nirvana in Washington. If most Republicans can’t even admit that what Trump did is worthy of impeachment, how can anyone imagine that they would be willing and trustworthy governing partners?”

Dionne added that the acquittal made an overwhelming case for getting rid of the filibuster, which in its current incarnation effectively means that no legislation can pass without support from 60 senators. Thanks to the 50-50 split in the Senate, getting to 60 means getting 10 Republican votes. This is impossible, Dionne says, because clearly “There are not 10 Republican Senate votes to be had on anything that really matters.” (...)

substack
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2021 09:07 am
@engineer,
Quote:
The sad part is even on a thread about Biden we can only talk Trump.

While I don't plan on forgetting the guy and fully intend to keep heaping derision, sarcasm, and abuse on him and the MAGAtards, I can understand people getting tired of seeing him show up in every political discussion. I'm using izzythepush's How Stupid is Trump? thread for Trump material that isn't directly connected with the Biden administration and the current news cycle. It's an option.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2021 09:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
The sad part is even on a thread about Biden we can only talk Trump.

While I don't plan on forgetting the guy and fully intend to keep heaping derision, sarcasm, and abuse on him and the MAGAtards, I can understand people getting tired of seeing him show up in every political discussion. I'm using izzythepush's How Stupid is Trump? thread for Trump material that isn't directly connected with the Biden administration and the current news cycle. It's an option.

Trump...and the MAGA morons deserve all the derision, sarcasm, abuse, scorn, and contempt that exist.

Please do not stop heaping it upon them.

Respect for the Republic requires it of any reasonable citizen.

I pledge to continue doing so myself.
0 Replies