Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 02:58 pm
It's not easy getting thru life when you have weak knees. At some point everyone needs to put on their grown-up pants.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 03:00 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm sure you'll learn to cope.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 03:33 am
They keep piling up evidence against Trump. It’s so bizarre. It’s like everyone - every journalist, all the prosecutors, everyone not in the Trump cult - knows what a scumbag criminal he is. But they never seem to get the pile of evidence high enough to hold the rotten bastard accountable for ANYTHING.

So, everyday we wake up to new claims of “shocking new evidence” uncovered. And it’s “breaking news” for a couple of days. And no charges are brought. And the Trump cult bleats that the inaction against Trump means that he’s innocent.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
BillW

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 03:50 am
@snood,
........and, you know what ends it all! Looks like DeSantis is grooming to become the heir apparent? He who shall not be named has not anointed him yet.......
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 07:53 am
@snood,
I'm less cynical regarding Trump's future. It is, as we all know, difficult to bring people of wealth and power to justice when they are found rotten but it happens. Nixon is just one example. And there are a lot of cannonballs heading in Trump's direction.

Quote:
And the Trump cult bleats that the inaction against Trump means that he’s innocent.
That's to be expected. It's also to be expected that actions taken against Trump will be evidence of his innocence. They hold him as an avatar of themselves - set upon on all sides yet bold and magnificent in potential, pure in his/their rejection of the order of things which cripple and thwart them and hold them back from their proper dominance of others.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 07:55 am
@blatham,
Ford pardoned Nixon.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:26 am
@blatham,
Nixon’s impeachment, resignation and period of public disgrace is a shaky example of justice being done to the rich, white and powerful.

As Izzy pointed out, Nixon was pardoned and even achieved a warped sort of elder statesman status before he died.

So, besides what happened to Nixon, it’s really hard to see what other basis you would have for a lack of cynicism regarding Trump’s future.

What? Faith that history’s arc bends toward justice? Faith in Merrick Garland?
Really, what?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:35 am
@snood,
I want to point out this isn’t an American thing, it’s a rich and powerful thing.

Look at Prince Andrew, he doesn’t even have to answer police questions.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:45 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I want to point out this isn’t an American thing, it’s a rich and powerful thing.

Look at Prince Andrew, he doesn’t even have to answer police questions.

Yes, I have no trouble at all believing that the insulation from punishment that comes from being rich, powerful and white isn’t just an American phenomenon.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Ford pardoned Nixon.
True. That was a gross injustice which let Nixon off the hook criminally (as I said, it's very difficult to bring those at the top to their proper ends) but he was removed from power and that's more important.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 11:02 am
@snood,
Quote:
Really, what?
First, the range of threats to Trump are far greater than with Nixon in subject (not merely political) and in investigations proceeding against him. But also, as you know, his AG John Mitchell, a powerful man in his own right, spent 19 months in jail.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 11:19 am
Quote:
...In fact, more than any other Republican, DeSantis may have cracked the code of how to position oneself to lead the GOP in a new era that is simultaneously post-Donald Trump and defined by Trumpism.

Any politician can be an Internet troll concerned with nothing so much as Owning the Libs, and many in DeSantis’s party think that’s their most fruitful path to success. But to really capture the hearts of the party base, you have to show your willingness to do actual harm to people’s lives as you wage war against the other side. And that’s where DeSantis is excelling...
Paul Waldman
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 11:33 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Really, what?
First, the range of threats to Trump are far greater than with Nixon in subject (not merely political) and in investigations proceeding against him. But also, as you know, his AG John Mitchell, a powerful man in his own right, spent 19 months in jail.

Yes, and a few people tangentially related to Trump’s smorgasbord cesspool of corrupt activities have done jail time, too.

Trump has never had to account for his own mess. The harshest things that our justice system has been able to exact on Trump have been a couple of fines, and the indignity of a video deposition.

I see no reason to think that’s going to substantially change. And beyond blind faith, you can’t tell me any reason.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 12:34 pm
@snood,
"blind faith"? What, at you trying to hurt my feelings or something? There's no way I might be able to prove a future event so let's just wait and see. Then I'll laugh at you in the maniacal mode.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 12:39 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

"blind faith"? What, at you trying to hurt my feelings or something? There's no way I might be able to prove a future event so let's just wait and see. Then I'll laugh at you in the maniacal mode.

Trust me, this is one thing for which I would gladly dine on crow.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 01:23 pm
@snood,
I'll pay the restaurant tab.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 02:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'll pay the restaurant tab.

You have the advantage in this sort of unspoken wager, if we’re not setting any time limit on how long we have to wait for Trump to pay the piper.
You can claim to have a reasonable expectation for the authorities to get him, as long as he’s (and we’re)still drawing breath… even if we’re still waiting for that dreaded dragnet to close ten years from now.

I think it’d be honorable if you’d say a finite length of time after which you will admit you are wrong.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 02:33 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I think it’d be honorable if you’d say a finite length of time after which you will admit you are wrong.
If you've read Einstein, you'll be cognizant of the plasticity of time. And if you've learned anything at all about me, you'll understand the plasticity of honor.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 02:34 pm
@blatham,
Still, it’s honorable that you know your limitations.
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 04:03 pm
@snood,
I think of it as a super power.