Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2021 11:28 pm
The Spectator claimed that " AOC paid $1.4 million to the company that runs her online store in the first half of 2021." Can you afford AOC’s ‘Tax the Rich’ sweater? is the title of a related article written by someone named Cockburn, who writes a column for this publication.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 06:44 am
@goldberg,
i bet she pays her faiir share of taxes on her income, unlike asshole ex-president trump and his corporations and billionaire buddies.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 08:27 am
I suppose at this point in time we ought to note how calm, rational and level-headed Bernie Sanders has been. It's pretty much 180 degrees away from the bellicose anger of some of his most ardent supporters. Tip of the hat to the fellow. And doncha all wonder what Lash is up to these days?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 08:39 am
@blatham,
She’s writing haikus on A2K.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 09:07 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I suppose at this point in time we ought to note how calm, rational and level-headed Bernie Sanders has been. It's pretty much 180 degrees away from the bellicose anger of some of his most ardent supporters.

I think Bernie saves the maverick firebrand populist spiel for election season. Being unreasonable and uncooperative just wouldn’t serve him well right now.
blatham

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 11:27 am
@snood,
I suppose part of my point is that Bernie was/is less unreasonable and uncooperative than many of those who hung around his campaign.
blatham

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 11:32 am
Quite aside from how this man's activities were discovered, I am happy with any wound suffered by the Catholic organization he represented.

Top U.S. Catholic Church official resigns after cellphone data used to track him on Grindr and to gay bars
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 12:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I suppose part of my point is that Bernie was/is less unreasonable and uncooperative than many of those who hung around his campaign.

I got your point. I was making a separate one.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 01:06 pm
If Bernie had been elected his coattails would have given Democrats an absolute majority. Biden's neutral coattails and Clinton's negative ones have us in a quandary. Biden's saying he supports keeping the filibuster and hugging Republicans will be the end of his slim majority if he doesn't make some quick changes.
snood

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
I suppose it’s true that IF Bernie had won the primary and then defeated Trump in the general, Bernie’s “coattails“ may have brought in a wave of supporters that may have been the necessary push to get good things done.

…But maybe not.

I think it bears pointing out that there were a LOT of Bernie supporters who made similarly confident-sounding speculations about Bernie’s chances to beat Biden and then Trump, back during the primaries.

They were wrong.

I suppose there’s entertainment value in postulating what “could have been” or even boldly stating what “would have been” - if Bernie had been president.

But it’s a guess. An educated guess, at best.
My guess is that Trump would have crushed Bernie in a general.

In any case, we’ll never know.

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
If Bernie had been elected his coattails would have given Democrats an absolute majority.

I think that's debatable. I think Biden's wins in the later primaries showed that many voters were looking for an alternative to Sanders. The fact that they all fell in behind Biden makes me doubt whether Sanders really had that much general – as opposed to activist – support.

I never believed Sanders could win the election — and I had my doubts about Biden as well until it became obvious how badly Trump screwed up the covid response. I wish the primaries functioned better than they do – there's talk about improving the process every four years and every four years it's the same old **** show.

Quote:
Biden's saying he supports keeping the filibuster...

But not because he thinks it's a democratic feature worth preserving, only because (and I believe rightly) getting rid of it without a commanding majority would result in a worse situation than we already have. But I don't want to dwell on Biden vs Sanders. The two seem to have an understanding and Sanders has helped to move Biden's policies quite decisively away from the center, even if Biden's instincts are still influenced by his desire for bipartisan comity.

Quote:
...and hugging Republicans will be the end of his slim majority if he doesn't make some quick changes.

Some progressives in the Democratic Party seem to relish the idea of punishing him in '22 by sitting on their hands. To my mind, "progress" is an ongoing process and more could be accomplished by building on anything Biden can accomplish rather than just allowing the GOP to reverse some of the real gains that have been made by letting them take total control once again.
engineer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 02:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Which voters does Sanders bring to the table that Biden doesn't? You can't say Biden depressed the turnout, we haven't seen 2020 turnout numbers ever. I can't see that Sanders would drive voters to the polls that weren't already driven to the polls by Trump. Honestly if a Sanders fan would sit on the sidelines with Trump on the ticket, I can't believe anything would make them turn out. Hate is stronger than love when it comes to getting people to vote. I also think Sanders would have put some conservative leaning moderates in play for Trump much like Jeremy Corbin did for Johnson.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 02:27 pm
https://truthout.org/articles/defending-filibuster-biden-insists-republicans-know-better-on-voting-rights/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=fefbb67d-6dd6-4305-9a32-0d9cd14d4178
While some observers were encouraged by Biden’s support for filibuster reform, others criticized the president for clinging to his hope for a Republican epiphany that did not materialize during his first six months in office.

“This answer from Biden on the filibuster just doesn’t make sense,” said Sawyer Hackett, executive director of People First Future. “Republicans aren’t going to wake up and ‘know better’ than suppressing the vote. The filibuster encourages them to obstruct and our reluctance to end it emboldens them to do worse.”

Adam Jentleson, executive director of the Battle Born Collective and a former Senate aide, argued that “sometime soon, it will become clear that there is no voting rights compromise that can get 60 votes” — the number necessary to break a legislative filibuster.

“At that point, there is no more wiggle room, no more vague talk about bringing Republicans along,” Jentleson said. “The choice will be, reform the filibuster or let voting rights die on your watch.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 02:30 pm
@engineer,
Biden brings in the most stalwart Democrats and the anti Trump vote. If the voters really liked him there would have been coattails. Sanders adds the progressives and those who want M4A among other things.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:01 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
If Bernie had been elected his coattails would have given Democrats an absolute majority.

I think that's debatable. I think Biden's wins in the later primaries showed that many voters were looking for an alternative to Sanders. The fact that they all fell in behind Biden makes me doubt whether Sanders really had that much general – as opposed to activist – support.

I never believed Sanders could win the election — and I had my doubts about Biden as well until it became obvious how badly Trump screwed up the covid response. I wish the primaries functioned better than they do – there's talk about improving the process every four years and every four years it's the same old **** show.

On the button.

Quote:
Quote:
Biden's saying he supports keeping the filibuster...

But not because he thinks it's a democratic feature worth preserving, only because (and I believe rightly) getting rid of it without a commanding majority would result in a worse situation than we already have. But I don't want to dwell on Biden vs Sanders. The two seem to have an understanding and Sanders has helped to move Biden's policies quite decisively away from the center, even if Biden's instincts are still influenced by his desire for bipartisan comity.

Sanders helped elect Biden...and has been a good trooper since the win.

I have a problem with Sanders' supporters...who bear a philosophical resemblance to Trump supporters.

I'd love to see more "bipartisan comity"...or comity of any kind. Doesn't seem to be in the books for the present.

Quote:
Quote:
...and hugging Republicans will be the end of his slim majority if he doesn't make some quick changes.

Some progressives in the Democratic Party seem to relish the idea of punishing him in '22 by sitting on their hands. To my mind, "progress" is an ongoing process and more could be accomplished by building on anything Biden can accomplish rather than just allowing the GOP to reverse some of the real gains that have been made by letting them take total control once again.

If the Sanders' supporters do to Joe Biden what they did the Hillary Clinton...Biden will lose. So will Sanders' supporters and so will everyone else on planet Earth. Gotta hope they all wake up and realize that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:04 pm
I reregistered as a GOP.
Its gotta start somewhre.
ve got a real douche-bag Legislator named SMUCKER and he certainly is.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:05 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I suppose it’s true that IF Bernie had won the primary and then defeated Trump in the general, Bernie’s “coattails“ may have brought in a wave of supporters that may have been the necessary push to get good things done.

…But maybe not.

I think it bears pointing out that there were a LOT of Bernie supporters who made similarly confident-sounding speculations about Bernie’s chances to beat Biden and then Trump, back during the primaries.

They were wrong.

I suppose there’s entertainment value in postulating what “could have been” or even boldly stating what “would have been” - if Bernie had been president.

But it’s a guess. An educated guess, at best.
My guess is that Trump would have crushed Bernie in a general.

In any case, we’ll never know.

I agree. If Sanders had been the nominee rather than Hillary Clinton in 2016...I think the popular vote would have been much closer.

I love Sanders...I love his devotion and his many of his ideas...but I think he would not have had a chance in the General Election with the America we have right now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I reregistered as a GOP.
Its gotta start somewhre.
ve got a real douche-bag Legislator named SMUCKER and he certainly is.

In Texas we don't have to register as one or the other. The reason voting in Republican parties hasn't worked for us is likely because not enough Democratic voters are willing to take a chance like that.
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
yeh, theres a few states where primaries can be cross voted. Texans just need to do a little more thinking it out.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
No state has worse politicians in office.
0 Replies