Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 09:30 pm
The most viewed channels have nothing to do with politics, according to its findings.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 09:45 pm
I really have to read novels instead of reasoning with far-left liberals. You guys have fun here.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2021 10:29 pm
@goldberg,
I would like to recommend Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and Swan Song by Robert McCammon.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 03:42 am

GOP bills rattle disabled voters: ‘We don’t have a voice anymore’
Legislation across the country would restrict voting methods and accommodations that people with disabilities
are disproportionately likely to rely on...
(nyt)
0 Replies

mommabear

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 04:14 am
Do leftists ever talk about the Duke lacrosse case any more or did they give up on that one?
snood

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 05:28 am
@mommabear,
You mean that case from fifteen years ago when preppy white boys were wrongfully accused of sexual assault and rape?

No, the only ones who have reason to dredge that up is right wingnuts desperately in need of an example to show that the left, the media and the whole world oppresses white men.

Hey, if you feel the need to whine about how that case proves that “leftists” don’t care about injustice when its done to white people, I say knock yourself out.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 05:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
Thanks for the tip. I bought Jane Eyre years ago. Robert McCammon seems to be a new name. I don't recall ever reading his novels. I have plans to read Virginia Woolf's novels.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 05:42 am
@Rebelofnj,
I also have plans to read a book about the history of conservatism. It sounds zany; the author of this book is a liberal writer who used to work at The Economist. And he also wrote another book about the history of liberalism. I bought the second book two years ago.
goldberg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 05:57 am
I'd like to read some Japanese novels. Some people would say such Japanese novels are meh. Yet, I find that some Japanese stories are suffused with humanity. It's just about how commoners strive to overcome adversity and reach desired goals. Some Japanese novels glorify people's fortitude and joie de vivre. Some Japanese songs also try to convey the same message:you have to carry on no matter how hard it is for you to face up to the harsh realities in a place rife with penury, social apathy and rich people's hauteur. You know it turns out to be lots of Japanese youngsters are also in a tight spot financially.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 06:26 am
@goldberg,
It would help if you actually mentioned the name of the author and the books.

I'm assuming you are talking about Edmund Fawcett, former writer of the Economist and apparently the uncle of British PM Boris Johnson.
He wrote Liberalism: The Life of an Idea and the companion book Conservatism: The Fight for a Tradition.
https://press.princeton.edu/our-authors/fawcett-edmund-1
goldberg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 06:34 am
@Rebelofnj,
There you go. I haven't bought the book featuring the history of conservatism yet. I also admire another writer named Anthony Gottlieb, who used to write for The Economist. He has published a few books about philosophy. He may have also written a well-written article featuring human progress. I decided to read The Economist after reading that article. He is truly a bright mind.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 06:41 am
@Rebelofnj,
Russell Kirk also published a book about conservatism. It's a heavy read. Edmund Fawcett's book about conservatism might be a different one in terms of writing style since he is a journalist.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 08:58 am
Rand Paul speaks...
Quote:
“The idea of democracy and majority rule really is what goes against our history and what the country stands for,” Mr. Paul said. “The Jim Crow laws came out of democracy. That’s what you get when a majority ignores the rights of others.”
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 09:06 am
@blatham,
Obviously, not only Rand Paul is not a big fan of democracy. But he says openly what he thinks about it.

Although I've thought that the USA has constitutionally a representative democracy, e.g. the right of citizens to have a free and fair say about the way in which the country they live in is governed. That usually takes the form of representative democracy, like it is was in the United States
oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 09:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Rand Paul speaks...
Quote:
“The idea of democracy and majority rule really is what goes against our history and what the country stands for,” Mr. Paul said. “The Jim Crow laws came out of democracy. That’s what you get when a majority ignores the rights of others.”

If democracy was not right, then what political system would he prefer? An authoritarian regime? If that's the case, he would not have the right to speak freely until the authoritarian tells him to speak "freely" for what they want him to speak.

Now you see the catch. Both democracy and authoritarianism are not perfect. But democracy in comparison gives you more rights. Hence democracy will win.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:36 am
@oristarA,
Rand Pau;l has aplparently never heard of what we actually have: a CONSRTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY WHICH GUARANTEES OUR RIGHTS. but then of course rand paul is a conservative authoritarian wannabe polemicist.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:37 am
@oristarA,
It's not democracy that gives rights. What democracy gives is control of the government.

Control of the government is a good thing, because if the majority of the people have control of the government, then it is unlikely that the government will oppress the majority.

But what rights do is protect the minority. For that you need more than just democracy. For rights, what you also need is a strong constitution with rules to constrain the government from acting against the minority.

That's the difference between the US and other democracies. We have a strong constitution that constrains our government from acting against a minority of the people, even if the majority of the people wishes it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Oh dear. We agree. Now the world will end. Sad

Wink
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 10:42 am
@oralloy,
I felt much the same, and iwhy did it take you so long to agree? I beat you to it. Wink Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2021 11:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
4 in 5 Trump voters are dissatisfied with how democracy is going, which seems bad
Quote:
A fifth disagree that democracy is the best form of government

Seventy-four million Americans, give or take, aren’t happy with how the 2020 presidential election turned out. That was the number of people who voted for Donald Trump, who lost. Some of that group, like Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), are probably not lamenting that President Biden won, but most, it’s fair to say, wish he hadn’t.

That’s the thing about democracy. You get to have your say, but sometimes your say isn’t what carries the day. Given that the alternative is that you don’t get a say at all, it seems like an acceptable downside.

Or perhaps it doesn’t. In polling conducted this month by YouGov for the Economist, a substantial percentage of those Trump voters appear to be skeptical about how American democracy is working — and democracy in general.
[...]
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/CHUgAgb.jpg

[...]
The poll results, though, extend beyond assessments of the moment. A fifth of Trump supporters — and independents — say they disagree at least somewhat that democracy is the best form of government. A tenth of each of those groups say they completely disagree that democracy is the best form of government.
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/tJgzDWP.jpg

... ... ...
0 Replies