Monitoring Biden and other Contemporary Events

oristarA

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 10:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I listened to Bidens Memorial Day speech at the WH and recalled Trumps speeches where he actually insulted gol star parents

I think writing out "Gold Star parents" would have made your point more powerful. Flying "flag of convenience" in postings doesn't always work as you wish.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 10:03 am
@oristarA,
it was a typo, that's all.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 04:37 am

delaying the inevitable, i'm afraid...

Texas Dems leave House floor, blocking passage of restrictive voting bill
(cnn)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 08:52 am
Michael Flynn Calls for Myanmar-Style Coup in the U.S.

https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1810186/michael-flynn-says-us-should-have-coup.webp?w=790&f=d5d89fa2ab9afaf6469a5201f121eeef

Quote:
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn on Sunday night said that a Myanmar-like military coup "should happen" in the U.S.

Flynn made the remarks during a Q&A session at a conference called the "For God & Country Patriot Roundup" in Dallas, Texas. "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here?" one attendee asked, prompting loud applause from the crowd.

"No reason. I mean, it should happen here," Flynn said.

– Here is the video of former national security advisor Michael Flynn saying that he thinks a coup like the coup in Myanmar should happen in the US. pic.twitter.com/7mGYjfXg18
— Mamie 😌 (@MC_Hyperbole) May 30, 2021

Newsweek reached out to the White House for comment. This story will be updated with any response.

Hours before Myanmar's new government was due to meet for its first session on February 1, the country's military executed a morning raid, detaining elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other political figures from the ruling National League for Democracy. The military defended its actions as necessary in light of voter fraud allegations in the Myanmar November election.

The coup sparked nationwide protests, with hundreds of thousands of demonstrators taking to the streets to demand Kyi's release and a return to civilian rule. Hundreds of civilians have been killed and thousands have been detained since the military seized control in the South East Asian country.

According to a Media Matters analysis, supporters of the QAnon conspiracy theory and users of far-right online messaging boards have praised Myanmar's coup, with some calling it an "awakening."

Former President Donald Trump pardoned Flynn in late November after the former adviser pleaded guilty twice to lying to the FBI.

"It is my Great Honor to announce that General Michael T. Flynn has been granted a Full Pardon," Trump tweeted at the time. "Congratulations to @GenFlynn and his wonderful family, I know you will now have a truly fantastic Thanksgiving!"

Flynn, who's viewed as a hero within the QAnon movement, has been linked to the conspiracy theory since he shared a video to Twitter on June 4, 2020. In the clip, Flynn could be seen taking a makeshift oath of office that ended with the popular QAnon phrase "where we go one we go all," which is often abbreviated to "WWG1WGA."

In the tweet, Flynn also used the hashtag #TakeTheOath, which is often used by other QAnon followers when sharing posts in support of the radical movement.

On April 12, Flynn spoke at a "America's Future" event in Tennessee, hosted by Regeneration Nashville, a religious group. One audience member stood up during a Q&A session and said "where we go one we go all."

"Now that's a great phrase, isn't it?" Flynn said. "And they'll tell you you're a conspiracy [theorist], you're all kinds of crazy. I mean...wow it's incredible."

newsweek
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:28 am
@hightor,
Myanmar (Burma) had had four coup d'états (1958, 1962, 1988 and this year).
That's only a slightly different history to the USA,
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Flynn really should be tried and punished for treason.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:47 am
@snood,
He and at least several others.
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
I think Flynn is particularly rancid. He was an active duty general. He openly colluded with enemies, and advocates overthrowing our government.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:54 am
@snood,
I agree.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 06:12 pm
On this Memorial Day, let’s compare and contrast republicans reactions to the words of two different leaders...

Donald Trump:
“Why did those Americans buried in France fight? What was it it for them?” “Losers and suckers!”

Also, about George H. W. Bush and also John McCain who were both shot down while in combat in WWII: “Losers!”

Republicans: “ <crickets> “

Vice President Kamala Harris:

“Enjoy the long weekend.”

Republicans:

Traitor! Treasonous! Tone-deaf! Insensitive! Unfit! She should get down on her knees and apologize to every veteran and veteran family member!
BillW

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 07:19 pm
@snood,
There are no rules for Republicans now!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 09:08 pm
@hightor,
It conjured up an image in my mind: the violent assault on Congress, incited by You-Know-Who, that left lawmakers cowering inside and police howling outside.

No wonder You-Know-Who pardoned Flynn. Corrupt minds think alike.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 11:28 pm
@snood,
Flynn has such massive disrespect for this country that he advocates insurrection openly and out loud right in front of us.....the utter gall of this position frosts me to the core. I think we are so shocked by this open aggression we are paralyzed by inaction. We keep waiting for somebody to take care of it, and it keeps getting worse because of our own inaction. We all get shocked shocked shocked, but then nothing. Write to your Senators, your Congressmen and woman and speak out. We have allowed bullies to take over because we don't want to use the same techniques BECAUSE WE THINK IT WOULD BE UNSEEMLY. Our country has sent men and women into combat to safeguard our freedoms and liberty. In return, we cluck our tongues at the rude behaviour and hypocrisy of McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Ted sleazy-man Cruz, John Kennedy, Louis Gohmert, John Cornyn, as well as the indecisive and unreliable Joe Manchin who still believes we can work together (like Charlie Brown and the football). The barbarians are at the gate folks, they smell blood and they will act if we don't quell this crap now.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 01:18 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Vice President Kamala Harris:
"Enjoy the long weekend."

Republicans:
Traitor! Treasonous! Tone-deaf! Insensitive! Unfit! She should get down on her knees and apologize to every veteran and veteran family member!

Perhaps it's because I'm not a Republican, but I use different words to describe this person. Cool
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 02:10 pm
@oralloy,
We are all aware of the piggish name calling you use when talking about the Vice President.
snood

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 02:41 pm
@glitterbag,
The ignore function is the extent of the responses this guy is worth.

Did you see any of Joe speaking in Tulsa? He’s reminding me what I like about him. A decent man who’s going to try to do the right thing.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 02:51 pm
@snood,
He definitely isn't using any wiggle words to try and minimize the horrific acts that occurred. This is the best speech he has given so far. It's compelling and terrifying .....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 03:08 pm
Meanwhile. Republicans are trying to pass laws to keep teachers from talking about race.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 03:25 pm
Going to wait for the follow-up to see if anything changes on the ground. He has the pulpit and the congress.
snood

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Y’know Ed, all the arguments against reparations that I’ve heard all try to make the point that there is no way to fairly and rationally provide recompense to the ancestors of slaves to repay them for the labor and lives of their ancestors. They always say how senseless it is to expect white people living today who never owned slaves to co-sign any financial benefit to black people living today who were never in slavery.

But aTulsa provides us with what could be a textbook example of how reparations could work in some cases. The white families and ancestors of the people who unleashed murder and hellfire on the black people of “Black Wall Street” are still here. The devastation to human life ; the destruction of property and land and businesses is still affecting the black Tulsans still there. There are even three actual survivors of the massacre - who saw the terror with their own eyes - still living.

Not only that, but there is a detailed contemporaneous record of the massacre. Blueprints of the destroyed buildings, financial records of the businesses razed, clear photographs of the crimes and of the people who committed them, records of insurance claims made by the black victims.

The city of Tulsa and State of Oklahoma sanctioned this crime. Why can’t the city and state pay the living ancestors (and especially the living survivors) a financial settlement?

The Republican politicians of Oklahoma have raised over THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS for the purpose of erecting some kind of memorial or series of memorials to the Tulsa massacre. But not one dime for the people who were robbed of generational wealth, crushed and forgotten.

Help me make some sense of that.