Bad News At Work

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:35 pm
Apparently they did, as they "met me halfway", so to speak. Now, why do I have such cold feet? Staying put, with no job, offers me nothing.

Maybe I'm afraid of failure. There's an awful lot of pressure on me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:53 pm
I appreciate what you're saying. I can only say that if my present job were going away, and my best offer approximated a 30% cut, I would get on it like a tick on a dog.

A problem with a lot of our jobs is that we get into something, spend years moving up, and lose it. We're left with abilities which are valuable where we are, but don't count for so much somewhere else.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
Tell me about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:30 am
Hey, that's great that the negotiation was successful, cjhsa! Way to go!

You haven't mentioned which city it will be in (have you?), but is the cost of living favorable? (Seems like it pretty much has to be compared to where you live now...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:42 am
My xbusiness partner researched housing in Missouri - well, she was looking at houses with stables, etc. - and she was amazed at the low prices..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:17 am
MI is Michigan, FYI.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
Sorry bout that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Oooh, Michigan! Still depends somewhat on the city, but that sounds promising, cost-of-living-wise.

And I love the Midwest.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
Sorry Osso, that came out sounding the wrong way. Didn't mean anything by it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:28 am
I didn't take it snippily. But after I posted I can see you can take my comment two ways, re Michigan, and I didn't mean it as anti-Michigan.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:32 am
Why do I have this horrible nest of butterflies in my stomach? Here I am with a job offer I'm afraid to take for some reason. Am I nuts? I'm going to move forward with it, but man this is tough.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:33 am
It's tough, to be sure. I can't stand moving, get butterflies and worse every time it comes up. (I've moved 3 times in the last 8 years.)

Have you done any of the cost of living calculators? May cheer you up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:33 pm
I accepted the offer today. I'll be leaving in a week and a half or so. At first I'll likely be staying in one of those extended stay places. Geesh, for what they charge you could rent a house or apartment with all the services for less, but what a hassle. They have you by the short hairs.

I guess I'm buying a laptop and will be driving around looking for FedEx/Kinkos when I'm not stuck in my "apartment". Argh.

One huge benefit - about 80 miles from there I co-own a vacation rental on Lake Michigan. And I mean right on the lake. That will make for nice peaceful weekend getaway, don't ya think?

http://www.lakemichigancam.com/Page_1/IMAG001.JPG

(image will update over time - if it's black it's night)

Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Ooooh, very nice!

Congrats on accepting the offer!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:56 pm
I'm glad you did that, cjhsa.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
I somehow thought you were going to St. Louis !?!? Michigan is much nicer than MO.

I think you're doing the right thing, CJ.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:29 pm
Stop in and have lunch with colorbook, cjhsa. She cooks a mean pot roast.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:53 pm
cjhsa
This is same company just different division? I forgot. I have faith you will end up on your feet .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:07 am
Nope husker, brand new company, new industry.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. It means a lot to me.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:02 am
cjhsa -- Congratulations! I see a rosy future for you and Michigan is a good place. I'll bet your new employers have an even higher opinion of your acumen and negotiating skills because you knew you were worth more and were willing to stand up for yourself. They rewarded that! Yay! I hope it all is good for you.

When is the family moving? Sometimes libraries have good internet connections, y'know... and every Starbucks has wireless service, I think.

That beach looks super!
0 Replies