Bad News At Work

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:14 pm
They have decided to outsource my position. There is a potential opportunity to move sideways to another sister company and continue doing what I do now, only I will of course be starting pretty much all over as far as having any respect.

The whole thing sucks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,090 • Replies: 100
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:19 pm
That sucks. Big.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:21 pm
That sucks, man. I wish I had more time to commisserate about it, but I have to go outside, walk around aimlessly, and try not to think about how bad my job sucks. I feel your pain, sir. Or at least, some kind of pain that is somewhat related to the kind of pain your feeling.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:23 pm
That does suck, cj, and I know just what you mean about having to start over in terms of respect. Chin up, bud. Maybe it's time to put out your resume. Maybe you could move up instead of sideways that way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:23 pm
Yikes, CJ, that is no good.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:38 pm
Sucks, alright. Yeah, start circulating the res, but don't turn down any sideways opportunities, either. Anyway, finding something new is always better done while employed. Best of luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
Sometimes life is one damn thing after another.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:56 pm
cjhsa- Think of this as an opportunity. Send your resume around. You might just be pleasantly surprised at what turns up. Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:57 pm
Bad news all right. Just keep on fighting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thanks everyone. At least they didn't show me the door just yet.
0 Replies

Eva

Could you become an independent contractor? That way, they'd pay you more for doing the same work. Plus, you could work for other companies, too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
Considering all options - thanks Eva.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
I know just how you feel. My job was outsourced from Canada to our H.O. in the U.S. at the beginning of 2003. I am still unemployed. Good luck. I hope the job market in the U.S. is better than Canada. We have had many closures, downsourcing and buyouts from U.S, companies.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:05 pm
I'm sorry to hear that Intrepid. Good luck.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
Sorry to hear this... it seems to be a common way for companies to remain competitive but I think it sucks.

The employers demand loyalty of you, but you can be flicked off by them like a piece of lint.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
Sorry to hear.

Doesn't seem like many jobs are very secure these days. I have the feeling mine's as secure as a crackhead. We keep buying out other companies, and the people at those former companies are either out a job or stuck doing something completely different. Curious to see what happens when my company gets bought out, if I'm still there.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Piffka wrote:
Sorry to hear this... it seems to be a common way for companies to remain competitive but I think it sucks.

The employers demand loyalty of you, but you can be flicked off by them like a piece of lint.

Doesn't matter how many years of loyalty either. Even after 39 years of loyalty (in my case), the end can come with new owners.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:14 pm
39 years of loyalty...! Geesh.

(Plus, I thought you were like 22...)

That sucks, cj, sorry. Maybe it'll be one of those things that end up working out great, like FreeDuck's moving up rather than sideways idea, or Eva's independent contractor idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
I'm sorry to hear this, cjhsa. And sorry to hear your situation too, Intrepid.

Glad that you aren't immediately out the door, cjhsa, as it gives you some resume pushing time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
I have been with this company for nine and a half years. I am a senior level person at what I do and if I don't get the sideways move, it will cost them almost $100,000 in a one time payout to let me go. They don't care. But, we can live on that for at least a year if that's what it comes to. Remember, we live in a very expensive area, and there are five of us. Another option if things don't go well is to move back to Michigan where we already own a couple places. They're vacation type places though, off the beaten path, not in communities we really want to raise our kids in.

Working on my resume.
0 Replies