Bad News At Work

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
Aargh. I hope all turns out well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
A 30% cut sounds incredible for me (just a bit more than you'd get here as unemployment benefit) - but I suppose, Roger is correct in his observation.

I really do hope, all turns out well, too!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
cjhsa
how is the cost of living in the new location?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:59 pm
Roger's right about the change in tax brackets.

Good luck in the decision-making process, cjhsa.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
cjhsa wrote:
Well, I have been offered another job, unfortunately, it is in another state far, far away, for less money. This would be a huge move/uprooting of my family to a job that pays less than 70% of what I was making. At least they will cover the move. But it's the only thing I have right now and I'm the head of household. It's a new industry for me too. I've done aerospace, telecommunications, and now...power transmission?

Any advice?

Check one or two of the cost of living calculators online and see what your salary would be in the new area. The cost of moving is pretty high so at least they'll cover that. Also, is the new industry something you're interested in? If so, and if there is opportunity for fast growth, maybe it will be better in the long run.

Can you tell us which state it's in? If it's mine, I could give some advice about cost of living.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
The cost of living calculator - Yeah, that's what I was gonna say.

Here's a couple to check out:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:25 am
Yep, good find. What I did (I'm moving too) was do two or three of them and average the results. Then that's what I asked for when negotiating my salary.

You might be past the negotiation stage, but it could still help you to figure out your budget if you know what the pay cut is in terms of spending power.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:30 am
Yep, another cost of living person chiming in. You currently live in one of the most expensive places anywhere, quite possible that the 70% salary would be equal to or even worth more what you were making when cost of living is factored in.

Can I ask where you're moving to?

Meanwhile, congratulations on the offer!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:33 am
Oh, man. Like, I just did it with San Francisco (which I assume is similar, cost-wise -- I know you're in Silicon Valley but I forget what town exactly) and Columbus, and I'd need almost exactly HALF as much money (50%!!) here in Columbus to have the same standard of living as in San Fran.

Whoa.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
Yep. One reason I recommend doing it several times with different calculators is that different sites take different things in to account. Like, one calculator takes into account housing, food, and utilities, but not taxes and makes it look like you'd make out fairly well. Another might take taxes into account but not utilities and make it look like you'd do poorly. But taken all together you should be able to get a pretty good idea.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 04:34 pm
cj --

I think the job offer sounds great. I'm so glad for you!

Best of luck and good wishes to you. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Yep. One reason I recommend doing it several times with different calculators is that different sites take different things in to account. Like, one calculator takes into account housing, food, and utilities, but not taxes and makes it look like you'd make out fairly well. Another might take taxes into account but not utilities and make it look like you'd do poorly. But taken all together you should be able to get a pretty good idea.

Very true. Those things are notoriously off. Another thing you could do is to just go to a local newpaper for the city where you are thinking of moving and look at the apartment rentals section versus the same for your current city.

Also, there are sites like virtualtourist.com that you can check out. They have message boards and you can ask your questions of locals that way. I don't know how much response you'll get, but at least you can see what others have said, unless it's a real podunk kind of city.

Anyway, you're smart. I'm sure you'll do fine.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:07 am
Again, thanks everyone. I've been away from A2K lately worrying about this. Being head of household for a family of five complicates things just a bit - tremendously - f---ing tremendously.

I thought the offer seemed a bit low, and after some research, have determined that they made the offer for a non-senior level employee. This wouldn't be so bad, but the fact is that in the long run, the cash flow scenario is wrong. In fact they are offering about $14K/year too little. This could be offset by bonuses, but what do you tell your kids and the bank in the meantime? "Sorry, the toy store is closed and we're not paying our bills". Doesn't really cut it, does it?

I'm not going broke, not just yet anyway, but cash, and cash flow, is king. Now its back to negotiating and hoping they really want a senior level person.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:49 am
Good luck, cj. I hope that the state is a place where you'd like to live. If it were the Pacific NW, I'd say go for it. But Missouri.... hmmm.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:58 am
Good luck cj. You are right to be hesitant to take a position that is lower than what your qualifications are (just see my whiny complaining threads if there was any doubt). Don't set yourself back unless you can see how it will pay off in the long run.

I do understand that the responsibility of your whole family weighs heavily on your mind, but the right job is out there. Hang in there.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
hey but also remember a bird in the hand is better than nothing or better than unemployment and time - - tough position partner
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:26 pm
I've definitely thought about that husker. I countered them today and asked for $5K more in base pay. I hope it doesn't backfire. They should just say no if they can't do it and then I can ponder the original offer.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:20 pm
If they're smart, cj, they'll give it to you! I'm pullin' for ya! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:19 pm
Thank you kitty. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:12 am
That seems like a good compromise to me. I hope that they think so, too.

http://www.entertainingmagic.com/photogallery/photo20030/Hand%20w-bird%20sq.gif
0 Replies