Feeling Crappy

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:28 am
Things have been great for the last 6 months and now all of a sudden, they seem to be going back in the wrong direction. By this I mean I am feeling very unstable again. For the past 6 months I 've been taking a new birth control pill which really seemed to be helping my moods, making me less irritable and volatile. But in the last few weeks, I feel myself getting more and more like that again. I am beginning to have stomach problems again. My pulse rate is currently (right this moment) at 104. No I am not kidding and no I wasn't just exercising. I am sitting at my desk typing this. At night I can feel my heart racing, sometimes just pounding in my chest. I don't sleep well. I am so tired all the time. I don't feel like doing anything. Usually, I am a "a place for everything, everything in it's place" kind of person but the house is a disaster right now because I can't being myself to clean up. Laundry is piled up everywhere and I do it only when it MUST be done.

I have had trouble with depression in the past. I was on antidepressants and I hated it because I had some undesirable side effects. My best friend is a therapist and she says that this is anxiety. Possible an anxiety disorder.

I am not asking for advice because I know I need to visit my doctor with this. I don't particularly want to have a heart attack. But I wanted to talk about it. And you all listen so well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,451 • Replies: 209
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:41 am
You should have a thorough exam to rule out any possible physical causes for your symptoms before assuming you have clinical anxiety. And ask for the comprehensive thyroid test. Thyroid disorders are more common than most people realize, and are sometimes accompanied by pounding heart and feelings of anxiety or nervousness.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:43 am
Bella Dea--

Are you still taking the antibiotic? Since this can interfere with The Pill is there a possibility that your hormones are all kerfluey?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:43 am
I'm listening......

yes it does sound like anxiety.

Question - The little stuff that piling up?
Does it feel like having to get up and put the pillow cases on the pillows is something is completely overwhelming?

Like - "Oh my god, I have to empty the dishwasher AND clean the litterbox. HOW will I EVER get it all done"?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
Synonymph wrote:
You should have a thorough exam to rule out any possible physical causes for your symptoms before assuming you have clinical anxiety. And ask for the comprehensive thyroid test. Thyroid disorders are more common than most people realize, and are sometimes accompanied by pounding heart and feelings of anxiety or nervousness.

Really? I had an elevated thyroid test about a year ago but the doc didn't want to do anything at that time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:53 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Bella Dea--

Are you still taking the antibiotic? Since this can interfere with The Pill is there a possibility that your hormones are all kerfluey?

Hold your dominion.

I've only been taking the antibiotic for a week and this has been going on for a while. Maybe 3 weeks?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 07:56 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm listening......

yes it does sound like anxiety.

Question - The little stuff that piling up?
Does it feel like having to get up and put the pillow cases on the pillows is something is completely overwhelming?

Like - "Oh my god, I have to empty the dishwasher AND clean the litterbox. HOW will I EVER get it all done"?

No, it isn't that bad. I have been there before though. I spent 3 days in bed once in college because I couldn't make myself get up to go to class or anything. But it hasn't been that bad since. I just feel like "who cares." Very lethargic and apathetic. But yes, it is the little stuff that seems to pile up and I lose it over something stupid.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:03 am
If your on a pill called Cileste, stop taking it.I was on it for 4 years and felt like killing everybody, and then myself.I had a definate 'I dont care' attitude.
I was negative about everything and ran myself emotionally into the ground.It also made my heart beat oddly for a while.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:04 am
Listening. I know how you feel. This happens to me in early pregnancy for some reason, possibly because of the hormones. Not trying to scare you...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Listening. I know how you feel. This happens to me in early pregnancy for some reason, possibly because of the hormones. Not trying to scare you...

Hmm.....I wonder if I should take a test.

How early in pregnancy?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:11 am
material girl wrote:
If your on a pill called Cileste, stop taking it.I was on it for 4 years and felt like killing everybody, and then myself.I had a definate 'I dont care' attitude.
I was negative about everything and ran myself emotionally into the ground.It also made my heart beat oddly for a while.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.

No, I take Singular every night but that's it. I was taking Allegra D but I stopped taking it because my allergist told me it caused rapid heart beat. But I've been off it now for 3 or 4 weeks now and my heart beat hasn't gone down.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:12 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Synonymph wrote:

Really? I had an elevated thyroid test about a year ago but the doc didn't want to do anything at that time.

I'd have it tested again. Have the doctor compare the results with last year's and see if it warrants treatment. Hyperthyroid could be the cause of those symptoms.

Also, didn't you say you're using allergy meds? Check the side effects on any decongestants.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:16 am
I stopped about 3-4 weeks ago because that's just what the allergy doc said. But no change in pulse.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:21 am
(OTC allergy meds also can cause fast heartbeat.)

Too obvious, but is your caffeine intake high?

If the symptoms persist most of the day and night, you really should look for a "physical" cause before starting on anxiety drugs. Especially considering the elevated thyroid.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:14 am
Synonymph wrote:
(OTC allergy meds also can cause fast heartbeat.)

Too obvious, but is your caffeine intake high?

If the symptoms persist most of the day and night, you really should look for a "physical" cause before starting on anxiety drugs. Especially considering the elevated thyroid.

I drink some soda but not that much. I also have a cup of coffee every morning. But that's it.

I never thought of the thyroid thing. That might be something to look at.

But would it explain my sudden crappiness?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:27 am
Bella Dea wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

How early in pregnancy?

Almost immediately. It became more pronounced by week 5 and subsided a little by the 12th.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:29 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

How early in pregnancy?

Almost immediately. It became more pronounced by week 5 and subsided a little by the 12th.

I am scheduled to start my period in 1 day or 2. I guess we'll see.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
Bella, i found these symptoms for you on hyperthyroidism, I agree with Synonymph, get your thyroid checked again,esp if it was elevated before...

Common symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism

Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
Yep, me too. I was just OUT of it. Got my only parking ticket ever, and a super-expensive one -- I was late for an important talk at a school, the parking lot was weird, and I thought some official people (it was L.A., they were onsite police or something) said that it was OK to park in a space that had a weird outdated handicapped parking symbol on it. But noooo... It was like $350 or something.

(Stupid of me though.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:32 am
Either way, it definitely sounds like a hormonal problem. The causes could be one or two of many.

Not sure if this would be helpful to you, but I have a sister who has had many of the same problems you allude to and she has had very good luck with chinese medicine. Some of us have very sensitive systems and modern western medicine doesn't always know what to do with such people.
0 Replies