Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze

Not to remove the seriousiness of a possible thyroid problem..but

increased sugar intake ... or even a LOWER then normal sugar intake can cause these same problems. Your body becomes dependant on a certain amount of sugar over time... lowering it is just like detoxing from a small amount of drugs. Anger, stress, and sleepiness included.
Sugar speeds up the heartrate, bowels get wetter, headaches, sweating..etc.

you mentioned cokes and coffee earlier in the thread...
that is why I was mentioning this.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:47 am
I have been eating more fruit lately. Would that cause the sugar thingy?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
Is there any history of diabetes in your family? If you had it, then an increase, even a small one, could cause some of the symptoms you describe.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
I was going to ask about recent changes in your diet, Bella. Other than increased fruit, have you changed your diet in any way. High fiber foods can interfere with the absorption of the hormones from BCPs. If you've starting eating a high fiber cereal or are taking supplemental fiber within an hour of taking your pill, then it might be part of the answer. I don't think there's enough fiber in fruit to cause a problem, but what time of day do you take your BCP?

I too think you should get your thyroid rechecked. It does sound like anxiety, but anxiety can be triggered by any number of things. Did all this start at the same time you started taking the antihistimines?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:22 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I have been eating more fruit lately. Would that cause the sugar thingy?

It can.

A neighbour of mine has been cut back to one piece of fruit a day, no fruit juices, no sodas, no beer - all of them were messing with his sugar levels.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:37 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Is there any history of diabetes in your family? If you had it, then an increase, even a small one, could cause some of the symptoms you describe.

This is what I was thinking as well. Diabetes runs in my family and that could cause these symptoms too, so you might want to get tested for that as well.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:57 am
My father is diabetic. My parents were down to see me a few weeks ago and my mom wanted to test my sugar but I forgot and took a sip of some oj before she did it. My sugar was 120. She said it could have been the oj or it could mean pre-diabetes.

This just sucks.

I am also feeling very emotional again.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
Sorry you're not feeling well, Bella. Please do vent-away. Go ahead and give it a good cry if you need to.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
J_B wrote:
I was going to ask about recent changes in your diet, Bella. Other than increased fruit, have you changed your diet in any way. High fiber foods can interfere with the absorption of the hormones from BCPs. If you've starting eating a high fiber cereal or are taking supplemental fiber within an hour of taking your pill, then it might be part of the answer. I don't think there's enough fiber in fruit to cause a problem, but what time of day do you take your BCP?

I too think you should get your thyroid rechecked. It does sound like anxiety, but anxiety can be triggered by any number of things. Did all this start at the same time you started taking the antihistimines?

No, nothing different but increase in fruit consumption versus chips and other junk.

I was taking the antihistimines before for about 5 years and quit 3 or so weeks ago.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Sorry you're not feeling well, Bella. Please do vent-away. Go ahead and give it a good cry if you need to.

I did last night. Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:04 am
I'm so sorry you're feeling so lousy, Bella. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you.

((((Hugs))))
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:47 am
past few weeks ...

feeling crummy ...

feeling moody ...

period due in a couple of days ...

not on birth control meds ...

could be a nasty round of PMS - pregnancy - thyroidal - other med reason that'll be revealed by a blood test

<what you're describing, Bella Dea, sounds a lot like some of my bad periods when I stopped taking the pill - it was like 3 years of PMS thrown into one month>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:50 am
Isn't it great when you can just have a good cry?

You feel so purged afterwards, especially if you keep crying until you start laughing at yourself.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:54 am
Have you made an appt for a checkup yet? Definately get a fasting blood sugar and thyroid test. They can also do an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) during your off week from your pills to see if your hormone levels are normal. I'm sorry you feel crappy, Bella. Call the dr, k?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
An increase in fruit consumption can cause the same reaction..beth is right..
And even if you are NOT diabetic, you will feel strangly after eating more fruits.. espically around your period time. Sugars offset te balance of a womans hormones and can cause symptoms to get worse other then better ( even though we crave sugars/chocolates at that time anyways Confused )
Mood swings, sleeplessness, higher appetite, lower sex drive, watery bowels, yellow/greyish skin tint...
and a few other really off the wall things can happen with a big change in sugar intake.
Sugar doesnt just equal processed white sugar. Anything that is high on the glycemic index

(meaning, digests easy, raises or lowers the natural insulin levels of the body ) is in my mind ' sugar '. Fruits, some veggies, even energy bars.. all effect the body like a straight dose of granulated sugar does.
>sigh<
being a woman sucks some days out of the month doesnt it!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:14 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Mood swings,

yes

shewolfnm wrote:
sleeplessness,

yes

shewolfnm wrote:
higher appetite,

yes

shewolfnm wrote:

lower sex drive,

yes

shewolfnm wrote:

watery bowels,

no

shewolfnm wrote:

yellow/greyish skin tint...

no

Hm.....4 out of 6...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:16 pm
Just found this on hyperthryoidism...

Quote:

Palpitations - yes
Heat intolerance - yes
Nervousness - yes
Insomnia - yes
Breathlessness - yes
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue -- yes

Fast heart rate - yes
Trembling hands - sometimes
Weight loss - yes
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze - sometimes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:59 pm
So, Bella, when's your next Dr. Appt.?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:18 pm
Exactly, Bella. When IS your doctor appointment? I feel so badly for you right now and will not even venture to guess as to what could be going on. I just wish I could take it all away and bring you back to the Bella you have always been before. Get that appointment and in the meantime, do some good taking care of you. A good soak in a hot bath, your favorite music and some old fashioned pampering sound in order.

Keep us posted too!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:53 pm
littlek wrote:
So, Bella, when's your next Dr. Appt.?

I have to switch doctors and then I will get one. Health insurance is a bitch. Sad
0 Replies