She/Her

gollum

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:03 pm
I participated in a meeting via Zoom recently.

One participant looked like a young man but he spoke in a high "woman-like" voice. After his name "she/her" appeared.

What should I conclude as to the facts and as to how I should treat this person?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,034 • Replies: 60
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:05 pm
@gollum,
If she put "she/her" after her name, that is how you should refer to her.
gollum

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 01:30 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

And what is meant? That a baby boy was born twenty-odd years ago but now that person chooses to identify as a woman, notwithstanding that the person has the same body parts as a man?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 01:40 pm
@gollum,
Since the person spoke with a high pitched voice, there's a distinct possibility they are female and always have been. They might be instructing you and others to refer to her by the proper pronoun.

You don't know what their gender was at birth and that does not matter. They are female to themselves and to the world.

How to treat them? As you would anyone else. With decency and respect.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 02:13 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

engineer-

Thank you.

And what is meant? That a baby boy was born twenty-odd years ago but now that person chooses to identify as a woman, notwithstanding that the person has the same body parts as a man?

Now I am curious (and maybe a little interested).... you know what "body parts" this person has.

What kind of Zoom meeting was this? On any Zoom meeting I am invited to people remain fully clothed.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 02:24 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...remain fully clothed.

That is what we are allowed to believe. Ever wonder why some people use an avatar?

And what, if anything covers the lower portion of their body?

Actually, was in a Zoom meeting a month ago and a man was not wearing a shirt. A woman sort of went nuclear on him, screaming like a hopped up weirdo. The man apologized and shifted to his avatar.

No idea if he ever put on a shirt, tunic, caftan or anything.
gollum

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 03:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you.

A certain building has a Men's and a Women's public lavatories.

Which should the subject person use? The one that the person identifies with? The one consistent with the person's attire and general appearance?
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 03:37 pm
@Sturgis,
On that same note - do you realize this has become an issue with zoom classes? The lack of clothing - believe it or not there have been many instances where a child (it seems to impact very young children more often for some reason) is on zoom with their class and a naked parent walks by and gets a nice background shot of their naked parent - of which it sounds that most of said parents are not ones you would want to see naked.

There have been other inappropriate background sort of stuff but the naked thing has been happening quite a bit.

It seems there is a high amount of these incidents in Florida - although even with our friends across the pond it has been an issue at times

https://www.insider.com/mom-accidentally-flashed-her-daughters-zoom-class-2020-5
https://www.yc.news/2020/09/19/florida-parents-booze-smoke-cigar-sized-joints-and-walk-naked-during-live-zoom-classes/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8811271/Mom-walks-sons-Zoom-class-NAKED.html

I have a piece of paper taped to my camera - if for some reason I want to be seen, I am thoroughly prepared.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 03:41 pm
@gollum,
They would use the one of their sexual identity.
If a person says they are male, then to the men's room. If they say they are female then to the Lady's room.

If a person is non-binary, my understanding is that they are to visit either, according to their choice.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
I've seen background people in a few Zoom calls. One time an older man in his undershorts who went to the kitchen which was in back of the person who was in the meeting. Her face redeemed as she noticed on her screen as well. To add to the embarrassing moment, she was chairing our meeting.

Other problems, apparently students (grade school age) have been suspended for having items on screen. One boy had a bb gun sitting in the background. he was not using it or talking about it. Was suspended from online class.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:01 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

They would use the one of their sexual identity.
If a person says they are male, then to the men's room. If they say they are female then to the Lady's room.

If a person is non-binary, my understanding is that they are to visit either, according to their choice.

This gets complicated...

There are a lot of women who are uncomfortable with the idea that someone with a penis can change in the woman's locker room. I believe many good upstanding liberal woke women are actually uncomfortable with this.

We are completely overturning our society's rules about gender without replacing them with anything that makes sense. If someone with a penis undresses in a woman's locker room, this is either a crime or a civil right... it can't be both.

The liberal position doesn't make sense.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Are these the same ones that drag their sons into the lady's room?
The same women who have their daughter helping diaper new baby brother?

The fact is, it's a body. Stop mIning the internet for outrage. Many times, faux outrage.

Personally, I'm wondering why it is now deemed appropriate (for the next six months) to have a bronze statue of Medusa, naked as can be, holding the severed head of a man, situated outside a lower Manhattan Court House. Would not that be much more traumatic to a child?
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:12 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
One boy had a bb gun sitting in the background. he was not using it or talking about it. Was suspended from online class.

I hope they sued the school.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:13 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Are these the same ones that drag their sons into the lady's room?
The same women who have their daughter helping diaper new baby brother?

I would love to hear women speak about this here.

I suspect that an adult with a penis being naked in a woman's locker room is quite a bit different than the situations you suggest.

Adults with penises get arrested for exposing themselves to women.... it is either a crime or a civil right, it can't be both.

Again... I would love hear a woman here argue that there is not problem with an adult with a penis sharing a locker room with women.
gollum

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:25 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you.

Your facts are accurate and your logic is valid.

That said, I believe a basic rule as to how the members of our society behave is being changed on the sly.

I suggest that if the rule is to be changed that it be done through a local, State, or Federal plebiscite.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:31 pm
There are some very weird double standards in the way that Americans view sexuality.

If someone exposes their penis in public, it is considered an assault. This doesn't have to be the case. Seeing a penis doesn't actually hurt anyone.

Women can be arrested for "indecent exposure" too... but it isn't considered the same. There are many people arguing for the right to expose breasts in public. Even if I see a vagina in public, I don't feel assaulted. There is a definite double standard; women's genitalia is not considered threatening in this way.

This is not culturally universal, there are plenty of cultures where genitalia can be displayed in public without causing harm or offense.

If we are truly going to ditch the idea of gender as a biological truth, I think we also have to get rid of the fear of biologically male genitalia.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Are these same idiot adults the ones who babble on to their daughter of how all bodies and shapes are beautiful?

In some places the nudity is not such a taboo.

Years ago, Life magazine ran an article about Americans playing football (American football, not soccer) in Russia. While the men are in the locker room,the woman who keeps the place clean and tidy goes through. Nobody blinked. (well, I sort of stared at the scene in surprise. Then saw what happened to a former high school gridiron star... He landed in Russia)

Further (the faint of heart should shield their eyes) entire families have been found together on nude beaches in Europe.

Parents have no issues dragging the children to art museums. Photo exhibitions. Both which run a risk of showing nude adults, both male and female.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:40 pm
@Sturgis,
You are kind of switching it around, Sturgis. You are ignoring the double standard.

An adult man showing his penis in public is considered an assault. This is a worse offense than any equivalent exibitionism by an adult woman.

Do you agree with this?

The double standard is the point.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Why is a man's penis thought of as an assault but a woman in some skintight spandexy jogging outfit (which she wears to the supermarket and other places.....never jogged), thought okay?

As I said, it's a body. Get over the ridiculousness everybody. There are people who all share the same tub in Japan. At the same time! Yep. The entire families.

...and as you might have noticed somewhere in your travels, many is the time when an adult male, particularly the obese and out of shape male, is not going to scare a child as his weenie is obscured.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
As I said, it's a body. Get over the ridiculousness everybody.

I appreciate your logical consistency Sturgis. I don't think that most Americans are at the same place you are. People were furious at Louis CK exposing himself.

If all Americans could say "it is just a body, get over it"... it would at least be logically consistent. In that case, maybe we should just get rid of men's locker rooms and women's locker rooms and just have locker rooms.

I don't think that we, as a society, are moving in that direction. Maybe I am wrong.