She/Her

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 04:59 pm
@Sturgis,
I say you just have curtains with a changing space - most (at least women's locker rooms) have this. Yeah some women just change out in the open, personally I don't want to see that either - so what do I do - I don't look.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If someone exposes their penis in public, it is considered an assault. This doesn't have to be the case. Seeing a penis doesn't actually hurt anyone.

This is a slippery slope - in the sense that men have been known to flash - meaning exposing themselves for the purpose of shock and some sort of sexual fantasy on their part. To me this is an assault. I had this happen when I was young and yes it was very upsetting.

However, some guy on the side of the road peeing would not disturb me. Well assuming he didn't have an option and is peeing in the woods.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:04 pm
@maxdancona,
I believe the television series Allie McBeal had a unisex bathroom and both genders could be there at the same time.

...plus, some of the up-in-arms hysterical women have been seen taking a run to the men's room at concerts when their line is too long.

You liberals are often wusses!

Anyway, there's a difference between exposing one's self and just going in to shower or use a toilet. Which can be solved by all toilets in stalls with doors
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:
If someone exposes their penis in public, it is considered an assault. This doesn't have to be the case. Seeing a penis doesn't actually hurt anyone.

This is a slippery slope - in the sense that men have been known to flash - meaning exposing themselves for the purpose of shock and some sort of sexual fantasy on their part. To me this is an assault. I had this happen when I was young and yes it was very upsetting.

No, it is not a slippery slope. It is a self-perpetuating mythology. This behavior is caused by the social double standard. It is upsetting because you are socially conditioned to be upset.

If you take away the "shock", you end the behavior.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:07 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

...plus, some of the up-in-arms hysterical women have been seen taking a run to the men's room at concerts when their line is too long.

I would do that - I have done that. I mean why wait in a long line - I would go in - sometimes I would ask if they minded -- I only had one guy get upset when I went in.

The thing with women's bathrooms is why does it even matter - you are not in the open...you have a stall. If you just had all bathrooms as single stalls there would not be an issue.

I been to many restaurants/bars where it is unisex bathrooms.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:09 pm
@Linkat,
Exactly.
For the record, I have no problem with women needing to cut in line for access to a men's room.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:13 pm
Should we just do away with gendered bathrooms?

I would approve of this; no "Men's room" or "Woman's room"... just one bathroom for both. I don't know if our society is really moving in this direction.

Near my house is a Women only gym. It seems like many American women are looking to expand the number of single-gendered spaces.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Are these the same women who pushed to have their daughters allowed into Boy Scouts?

...and yea, I believe gendered baths have arrived at a place where they can be made into plain old lavatory. Stalls for all.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:25 pm
@Sturgis,
I am ok with eliminating gendered bathrooms.

There should still be urinals for people who have the requisite protruding urinary tracts. It makes things quicker for everyone.
Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:29 pm
@maxdancona,
The women's only gym is different in my opinion. It is a situation where women just want to work out and not get hit on or some women feel more uncomfortable working out around men for physical intimidation reasons. Not saying it is right or wrong just it is more comfortable for them.

I used to at one time belong to a women's only gym. I loved it; it just fit me at the time. Now I don't.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:31 pm
@maxdancona,
There are several places in Europe with outdoor urinals. Called pissoir it would tend to the matter.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:32 pm
The other impossible issue is that of sports.

There are female athletes who were assigned male at birth and are excelling at woman's supports. They have the same biological advantages that male athletes have (and which are the reason sports are segregated in the first place).

What do you do here?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 05:42 pm
@maxdancona,
I have no issue with them.

Although they may have been genetically male at birth, once they have decided to fully become female, there are hormones which will alter some of the muscular functions.

Further, there are many women, who were born female and are vastly superior to many males. I myself am a rather small boned man and no amount of physical training would ever build me up to the natural strength plenty of women have.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 06:13 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I have no issue with them.

Although they may have been genetically male at birth, once they have decided to fully become female, there are hormones which will alter some of the muscular functions.

Further, there are many women, who were born female and are vastly superior to many males. I myself am a rather small boned man and no amount of physical training would ever build me up to the natural strength plenty of women have.

I am not sure what you are arguing Sturgis?

1. Should we just get rid of woman's sports... so that men and women compete in the same leagues and ignore any biological advantage biological men have?

2. Should we keep woman's sports... but allow trans women to compete with biological women as long as they have the "hormones" that would alter their muscular functions?

I am not sure if you are denying that there is a biological advantage for people born as males, or just saying that it doesn't matter. It is simple reality that if you allow biological men and biological women to compete in the same leagues, the elite leagues will be dominated by the biological men.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 06:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Near my house is a Women only gym. It seems like many American women are looking to expand the number of single-gendered spaces.

I think women-only institutions should be allowed only if there are also men-only versions of the same sort of institution.
knaivete

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 08:17 pm
I wouldn't treat her with disingenuous, prurient interest.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2020 08:56 pm
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

I wouldn't treat her with disingenuous, prurient interest.

Would you treat her with sincere prurient interest? There is nothing wrong with prurient interest. I am not a fan of disingenuity.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2020 08:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I think women-only institutions should be allowed only if there are also men-only versions of the same sort of institution.

I agree ... I see no issue with a men’s only anything ... I was never one to say because men have this club with only men I’d want to join, my thought was if there is something like that as woman that you wanted, then why wouldn’t you just put together a similar club, organization or whatever that was women’s only or even one that anyone could be a part of?

Quite honestly why would you want to be a part of something that you were not welcome at?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2020 08:51 am
@Linkat,
I am sure you know the historical problem with this.

Places like golf clubs and bars are places that business relationships are made and deals are done. If you make these male only spaces, then they the power will be concentrated with males.

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2020 04:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am sure you know the historical problem with this.

Places like golf clubs and bars are places that business relationships are made and deals are done. If you make these male only spaces, then they the power will be concentrated with males.

Yes historically it has - the thing is you cannot do that any more - there is no more "free" stuff or very limited that you can do with clients. It is hard to even take a client to say a ball game (precovid) - you cannot seem to be "bribing the client"

Things are different now - deals are not done in quite the same and I did mean to preference as long as such clubs or whatever have equivalent opportunities - there is so much less of this "advantage" now.

yeah when I first started in the working world I could see why women tried to get into these men's only clubs - but really now I do not see it at all - at least in the financial industry.

You need to read my bullying thread - it has a little bit about how over the top we are the other way now...kind of an aside on that thread.

https://able2know.org/topic/552946-1

scroll down to the bottom of the first page - yeah we are so over the top of not appearing to biased it is a bit crazy.