How do I attract other Black users to my threads?

Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:54 am
@JGoldman10,
The Tuskegee Airmen
is a 1995 HBO television movie based on the exploits of an actual groundbreaking unit,
the first African-American combat pilots in the United States Army Air Corps, that fought in World War II.
The film was directed by Robert Markowitz and stars Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr., John Lithgow,
and Malcolm-Jamal Warner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:59 am
@JGoldman10,
Hidden Figures
is a 2016 American biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi and written by Melfi and Allison Schroeder. It is loosely based on the 2016 non-fiction book of the same name by Margot Lee Shetterly about black female mathematicians who worked at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) during the Space Race. The film stars Taraji P. Henson as Katherine Johnson, a mathematician who calculated flight trajectories for Project Mercury and other missions. The film also features Octavia Spencer as NASA supervisor and mathematician Dorothy Vaughan and Janelle Monáe as NASA engineer Mary Jackson, with Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, Jim Parsons, Mahershala Ali, Aldis Hodge and Glen Powell in supporting roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Five Heartbeats
is a 1991 musical drama film directed by Robert Townsend, who co-wrote the script with Keenen Ivory Wayans. Produced and distributed by 20th Century Fox, the film's main cast includes Townsend, Michael Wright, Leon Robinson, Harry J. Lennix, Tico Wells, Harold Nicholas of the Nicholas Brothers, and Diahann Carroll.[1] The plot of the film (which is loosely based on the lives of several artists: The Dells, The Temptations, Four Tops, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Frankie Lymon, Sam Cooke and others)[6] follows the three decade career of the rhythm and blues vocal group The Five Heartbeats. The film depicts the rise and fall of a Motown inspired soul act through the eyes of one of the Heartbeats, Donald "Duck" Matthews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Heartbeats
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
Drumline
is a 2002 American coming-of-age teen drama film directed by Charles Stone III. The screenplay, which was inspired by the Southwest Dekalb High School Drumline, was written by Tina Gordon Chism and Shawn Schepps. The film follows a young drummer from New York, played by Nick Cannon, who enters the fictional Atlanta A&T University and bumps heads with the leader of his new school's drum section. Zoe Saldana, Leonard Roberts and Orlando Jones also co-star.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:19 pm
@justaguy2,

When did I EVER say other wise?

There are two issues here.
1. Police brutality, which needs to be addressed.
2. The disproportionate violence and miscarriage of justice visited on black Americans which needs to be addressed.

No doubt: eliminating violence will affect total violence on both groups, but it does not address the unfairness blacks are receiving from the justice system as a whole due to racism.

I don't have a clue about Australia.

But I wonder if this:

[img]In the 2016 Australian census, the most commonly nominated ancestries were:[N 1][15][16]

English (36.1%)
Australian (33.5%)[N 2]
Irish (11.0%)
Scottish (9.3%)
Chinese (5.6%)
Italian (4.6%)
German (4.5%)
Indian (2.8%)
Indigenous (2.8%)[N 3]
Greek (1.8%)
Dutch (1.6%)
Filipino (1.4%)
Vietnamese (1.4%)
Lebanese (1%)

At the 2016 census, 649,171 people (2.8% of the total population) identified as being Indigenous — Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders.[N 4][18] [/img]

might be why Australian cops don't beat too many AfroAustralians?

Quote:
Really. I'm white and I know that's not correct.

My point was not that cops don't beat whites, they most certainly do and kill them, too. It's that even as a member of an 80% majority I am less likely to be beaten than a black American member of a 14% minority.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Rosewood
is a 1997 American historical drama film directed by John Singleton. While based on historic events of the 1923 Rosewood massacre in Florida, when a white mob killed black people and destroyed their town, the film introduces fictional characters as well as other creative departures from historical accounts of the incident. In a major change, it stars Ving Rhames as an outsider who comes into Rosewood and inspires residents to self-defense, wielding his pistols in a fight. The supporting cast includes Don Cheadle as Sylvester Carrier, a resident who was a witness, defender of his family and victim of the riot; and Jon Voight as John Wright, a sympathetic white store owner who lives in Rosewood. The three characters become entangled in an attempt to save people from racist whites attacking the blacks of Rosewood.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
You got it wrong: I've never EVER claimed whites don't get beat down. They most certainly do they kill white suspects, too. Don't put words in my mouth to make a point
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:24 pm
@hightor,
Bingo. Most of what is labeled "black crime" is more accurately described as crimes derived from poverty.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Soul Food
is a 1997 American comedy-drama film produced by Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Tracey Edmonds and Robert Teitel and released by Fox 2000 Pictures. Featuring an ensemble cast, the film stars Vanessa L. Williams, Vivica A. Fox, Nia Long, Michael Beach, Mekhi Phifer, Jeffrey D. Sams, Irma P. Hall, Gina Ravera and Brandon Hammond. Written and directed by George Tillman Jr. in his major studio debut, the film centers on the trials of an extended African-American family, held together by longstanding family traditions which begin to fade as serious problems take center stage.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:26 pm
@Real Music,
Goooood movie!!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:27 pm
@Real Music,
Another gooood movie that educates you without you realizing it.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:28 pm
@Real Music,
Loved that movie.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:30 pm
@Real Music,
I've heard good things about this: its on my list to see.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:34 pm
@Real Music,
This is an important movie. If it doesn't affect a viewer, that viewer needs to see it again. The book was a hard to take read I had to put down several times to regain composure.
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Hollywood Shuffle
is a 1987 American satirical comedy film about the racial stereotypes of African Americans in film and television. The film tracks the attempts of Bobby Taylor to become a successful actor and the mental and external roadblocks he encounters, represented through a series of interspersed vignettes and fantasies. Produced, directed, and co-written by Robert Townsend, the film is semi-autobiographical, reflecting Townsend's experiences as a black actor when he was told he was not "black enough" for certain roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Shuffle#:~:text=From%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20free%20encyclopedia%20Hollywood%20Shuffle%20is,stereotypes%20of%20African%20Americans%20in%20film%20and%20television.
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:51 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I had originally said I was going to post 7 movies I recommend.

I had forgot to post Hollywood Shuffle.

So, that's actually 8 movies instead of 7 movies.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:56 pm
@Real Music,
Well, all I can say 8 out of 8 is pretty darn good. I'll let you pick a movie for me anytime.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 01:00 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
he was told he was not "black enough" for certain roles.

Not black enough or not "urban" enough? Because black American actors can't play Doctors, Lawyers, only someone who needs a Doctor or a Lawyer.
JGoldman10

Tue 15 Sep, 2020 12:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I watched a special on BET a few years ago about cop brutality and the African American community. I watched it with my mother and I was very interested to know what the people in the program had to say. Did you know police forces in the U.S. came about as a means to control the slaves? That's one of the things they mentioned and talked about in the program.

They also said a lot of American cops are "programmed" to think Black males are savages or criminals and the like. That's why a lot of cops are racist.

That's why racial profiling exists.

Racism is not of God. God made ALL men in His image and likeness (Genesis 1:27). The Word says He's no respector of persons (Acts 10:34).

Do you know why racism's been an issue in the U.S.? It's a heart problem. People's hearts need to change.

My family and I were subject to racism, especially when I, my younger brother and older sister were coming up.
JGoldman10

Tue 15 Sep, 2020 12:29 am
@Real Music,
I've seen Soul Food and Hollywood Shuffle. I didn't like Soul Food.
0 Replies