How do I attract other Black users to my threads?

JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 08:03 am
@izzythepush,
Some people I know said I "look White". A White girl I know from a chatsite I frequent said I look like "a White guy with an Afro". I'm very "White-acting" and I have a "White guy's swagger" if that's what you're driving at. I describe myself as a "White man in a Black man's body".

I've been confused for Hispanic/Latino or Arab.

An African American kid in high school said the only thing that was Black about me was my Afro.

Two White girls who used to bother me in high school said I wasn't "Black enough". I think they picked at me because they liked me but I didn't pay those little hussies any mind. I first learned the phrase "Black enough" from these two girls. I was never hung up on culture. When I said to these girls one day in school in a science class if they had a problem sitting around Black people they laughed and one of them said, "Yeah you really look Black."

A lot of African American kids in school didn't want to be bothered with me in school. I did have some Black friends but a large number of my friends in school were White. I had friends in various cultural or ethnic backgrounds in school.

Most of the girls who liked me in school were White. I had two Chinese American gfs in high school.

I did experience racism from other African Americans coming up. I have experienced some racism from African Americans and some other Blacks after I finished school.

I've posted my pics online. A lot of people don't think I look Black.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 08:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Some White Americans are subject to police brutality. The issue is most people don't hear about it.

There are about 46 million African Americans. They make up about 14.6% of the total American population. Not all African Americans are criminals and not all hail from American urban slums. Black middle class and Black upper class does exist in the U.S.

There are criminals in every culture. There are good and bad people in every culture.
JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
I don't really care about my ethnicity. I don't care about being an African American or about being "Black enough".

Do you think I'm treated better than a lot of other African Americans because I'm fair-skinned, or because of how I look, or both?
izzythepush

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 08:55 am
@JGoldman10,
I have no idea. All I know is that you have displayed a shocking lack of empathy to black victims of police violence, suggesting time and time again that they are partly to blame for their mistreatment.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:08 am
@JGoldman10,
Police brutality is an issue in this country that goes back over a century.

The fact is that black American are the victims of police brutality way out of proportion to their number in the population.

End Police violence. End the disproportionate punishment and violence against black Americans.
JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:23 am
@izzythepush,
A lot of them are. A lot of these people are troublemakers and a lot of them hate police.

Have you ever listened to American gangsta rap from the '80s and '90s? Rappers like Ice Cube and Ice T, who are both African American, used to rap about killing police.
JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:24 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Police brutality is an issue in this country that goes back over a century.

The fact is that black Americans are the victims of police brutality way out of proportion to their number in the population.

End Police violence. End the disproportionate punishment and violence against black Americans.

Thank you. That's why I pray for the police forces in the U.S. and in other countries around the world.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:31 am
@JGoldman10,
That music didn’t emerge in a vacuum, it was a response to police brutality.

For all your protestations you seem to be implying that black people are more predisposed to criminality than other races.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
That's my take as well.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:10 am
You raise some questions that I think this article addresses well.

Its from The Root which is a good site for good information regarding the status of race in the US from a black perspective.

https://www.theroot.com/a-judge-asked-harvard-to-find-out-why-so-many-black-peo-1845017462?utm_source=pocket-newtab

A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison. They Could Only Find 1 Answer: Systemic Racism

Michael Harriot
Thursday 5:00PM

It wasn’t Black-on-Black crime. Violent video games and rap songs had nothing to do with it; nor did poverty, education, two-parent homes or the international “bootstraps” shortage. When a judge tasked researchers with explaining why Massachusetts’ Black and Latinx incarceration was so high, a four-year study came up with one conclusion.

Racism.

It was always racism.

According to 2016 data from the Massachusetts Sentencing Commission, 655 of every 100,000 Black people in Massachusetts are in prison. Meanwhile, the state locks up 82 of its white citizens for every 100,000 who reside in the state. While an eight-to-one racial disparity might seem like a lot for one criminal justice system, nationwide, African Americans are imprisoned at almost six times the rate of white people. So, in 2016, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph Gants asked Harvard researchers to “take a hard look at how we can better fulfill our promise to provide equal justice for every litigant.”

After gathering the raw numbers from nearly every government agency in the state’s criminal justice system, examining the data, and researching the disparate outcomes, Harvard Law School’s Criminal Justice Policy Program found that Black incarcerees received more severe charges, harsher sentences and less favorable outcomes than their white counterparts. They looked at more than a million cases, from the initial charges through the conviction and sentencing, and discovered disparities that could not be explained by logic or reason.

“White people make up roughly 74% of the Massachusetts population while accounting for 58.7% of cases in our data,” the study explained. “Meanwhile, Black people make up just 6.5% of the Massachusetts population and account for 17.1% of cases.”

<I'll cut in here: the reason you don't hear about white people being beaten so much black people is because as it points out above, is that any white person has a lesser chance of being in contact with a cop than any black person.>

What they found is the criminal justice system is unequal on every level. Cops in the state are more likely to stop Black drivers. Police are more likely to search or investigate Black residents. Law enforcement agents charge Black suspects with infractions that carry worse penalties. Prosecutors are less likely to offer Black suspects plea bargains or pre-trial intervention. Judges sentence Black defendants to longer terms in prison. And get this: The average white felon in the Massachusetts Department of Corrections has committed a more severe crime than the average Black inmate.

The study, “Racial Disparities in the Massachusetts Criminal System” (pdf) unearthed a number of factors that contribute to these significant disparities, including:

It’s not that Black people are criminals: It’s that the cops think Black people are criminals: For instance, despite making up only 24 percent of Boston’s population, Black people made up 63 percent of the civilians who were interrogated, stopped, frisked or searched by the BPD between 2007 and 2010. According to the researchers, this suggests “that the disparity in searches was more consistent with racial bias than with differences in criminal conduct.”

Black suspects don’t get bail: The average bail is slightly higher in cases involving Black defendants. Furthermore, more Black and Latinx defendants are detained without bail as compared to white defendants.

Black people are charged with higher offenses: But curiously, when they get to court, Black defendants are convicted of charges roughly equal in seriousness to their White counterparts despite facing more serious initial charges.

There are actually two separate systems: The study notes that prosecutors are more likely to exercise their discretion to send Black and Latinx people “to Superior Court where the available sentences are longer.”

And separate sentences: If you’re Black and charged with crimes carrying a mandatory minimum, you are substantially more likely to be incarcerated and receive a longer sentence.

Especially if they find drugs or guns on you: Black and Latinx people charged with drug offenses and weapons offenses are more likely to be incarcerated and receive longer incarceration sentences than white people charged with similar offenses

Sentencing length: The average Black person’s sentence is 168 days longer than a sentence for a white person. Even when the researchers controlled for criminal history, jurisdiction, and neighborhood, they concluded: “[R]acial disparities in sentence length cannot solely be explained by the contextual factors that we consider and permeate the entire criminal justice process.”

The researchers even looked at poverty rates, the family structures of convicted felons and the neighborhoods they lived in. They eventually decided that the only reasonable explanation that explained the disparities was racism.

One of the more interesting parts of the report juxtaposed people who possessed illegal firearms with people arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence (OUI). They reasoned that both acts are potentially dangerous but statistics show that driving under the influence actually causes much more harm to the public than simply carrying an unlicensed firearm. But, because white people make up 82 percent of people who are convicted of OUI, the state considers operating under the influence as a “public health problem,” so the charge is often resolved without a felony conviction. In fact, 77 percent of the people who don’t end up with a felony conviction after admitting that they operated a vehicle under the influence are white.

However, despite Black defendants making up 16.4 percent of firearm cases in 2012, 46 percent of the people convicted of a firearm offense was Black. And 70.3 percent of the time, the Black person’s only offense was carrying a firearm without a license.

<break in - this directly addresses your assertion only those who resist get shot.>

The researchers also couldn’t figure out why Black people are always initially charged with more serious crimes than white people. The easiest explanation was that Black suspects commit worse crimes than white people, but the data disproved that assumption. Then, they hypothesized that prosecutors may be overzealous when it came to convicting violent cases but that proved not to be the case. When all was said and done, Black people were arrested more often, had higher bail and received harsher sentences. But when they examined convictions, they discovered that Black people were surprisingly less likely to be convicted than white people. Essentially, according to the researchers, a white person has to commit an egregious offense to wind up behind bars while all a Black person has to do is...well, be a Black person.

The researchers noted that they could not “conclusively isolate the impact of unconscious bias, prejudice, and racism in generating the disparities” precisely because there was so much of it. They could only conclude that the criminal justice process was a Rube Goldberg machine that produces “racially disparate initial charging practices leading to weaker initial positions in the plea bargaining process for Black defendants, which then translate into longer incarceration sentences for similar offenses.”

I didn’t go to Harvard but when I Googled the word “systemic” it said:

“relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.”

And when I Googled the word “racism,” it said:

“prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.”

And it didn’t even take four years.
justaguy2

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Really. I'm white and I know that's not correct.

Maybe in your country, but here you can be white and suffer police brutality.

The same guy in the video above was not armed with any weapon, and was not shot by police either. But they still beat him up though, even though he's committed no crime.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-03/melbourne-police-on-video-taking-down-disability-pensioner/9591006
izzythepush

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don’t think Mr Goldman will pay any attention to that, he’d much rather feel superior.

That’s the problem with fixed ideology, he believes he is saved regardless of how he treats his fellow man. He starts off saved, there’s no need for any development, he’s already there so he can sit in judgement of others.

I’ve known him a long time and he’s never shown the slightest inclination to change.

Take this thread as a case in point, he asks why he doesn’t have many black people responding to his threads. He is told that it might have something to do with comments he’s made about victims of black crime. He didn’t deny it or apologise, he doubled down on what he said. And that’s him trying to reach out to black people.
Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:40 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I don't know too much about BLM.
I based my statement on what I read and heard about BLM prior to all the protesting they've done this year.

Quote:
I'm confused about BLM.
Don't a lot of people see them as bad?
I'm going to start a discussion thread about them.

The origin of how Black Lives Matter got started
https://able2know.org/topic/478657-1

Doc Rivers Emotional Postgame Interview on Jacob Blake Shooting.
https://able2know.org/topic/551482-1
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:53 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
A lot of them are. A lot of these people are troublemakers and a lot of them hate police.

How would you feel if your neighbor 12 years old son was gun down by police while playing in the local park or you are stop and question by police must more often then your white friends or in the act of moving into your new home you find yourself on the ground with guns point at you?

If the wish is to have less hate toward police by blacks you need to stop the police from treating blacks as criminal until they prove otherwise.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:54 am
@justaguy2,
Bob is wrong. I posted links to prove he was wrong. Whites in America do get subject to cop brutality.
hightor

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:06 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Great article.

As long as African-Americans are poor they will continue to be the victims of racism. As long as there is racism African-Americans will continue to be poor. The old "vicious cycle"...

The bitch of it is that it doesn't matter if individual black people and their families work their way out of poverty and achieve some economic stability. Systemic racism still works to limit their access to wealth. And since most property crimes are committed by the poor, black men will continue to be picked up on suspicion of being poor — fingered by skin color, benefit of the doubt be damned. Ask Henry Louis Gates Jr.
izzythepush

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:16 am
@JGoldman10,
Nobody has said white people aren’t victims of police brutality, that is your strawman. Black people are disproportionately the victims of police brutality. That is a fact, one which you don’t seem to be willing to recognise.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:27 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Some White Americans are subject to police brutality. The issue is most people don't hear about it.

There are about 46 million African Americans. They make up about 14.6% of the total American population. Not all African Americans are criminals and not all hail from American urban slums. Black middle class and Black upper class does exist in the U.S.

There are criminals in every culture. There are good and bad people in every culture.

LOL the problem is that we have police that too often judge citizens by their skin color first of all. That had to be stop even if it mean firing every police officer now on the force and hiring and training new ones.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:42 am
@JGoldman10,
I have 7 movies that I recommend.

I will be posting my recommendations soon.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:49 am
@JGoldman10,
The Original Kings of Comedy
is a 2000 American stand-up comedy film directed by Spike Lee and featuring the comedy routines of
Steve Harvey, D.L. Hughley, Cedric the Entertainer, and Bernie Mac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Kings_of_Comedy