Attack in London Today

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:40 am
I had read about this on the Iraq thread but thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Quote:

London Rocked by Explosions

Two confirmed dead, toll expected to rise

Thursday, July 7, 2005; Posted: 9:33 a.m. EDT (13:33 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Four explosions in London's transport system have killed at least two people and wounded dozens more in what UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said was an apparent terrorist attack

A previously unknown group, calling itself the Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organization in Europe laid claim to the blasts, posting a statement on an Islamist web site a few hours after the explosions. The claim could not be independently verified.

More fatalities were sure to follow -- emergency services personnel told CNN that a rescue operation at Kings Cross station had successfully evacuated all survivors, leaving dead below ground "in the double digits."

One worker said he had removed "several" bodies from the train and "at least 13" remained there. The fire brigade has now left the station, he said, and it was now a crime scene.

U.S. law enforcement sources said the British government has said at least 40 people are dead.

Three of the blasts took place in the city's subway system and one more hit a double-decker bus, all at the height of rush hour.

International SOS, an international medical emergency service, reported that the police had found explosive traces in at least one of four confirmed blast locations.

Hospital officials have reported at least 160 wounded. London transit officials shut down the entire Underground and stopped buses in the central city district.

"We are dealing with large numbers of casualties," he said, "and we believe a number of fatalities."

Blair, in Scotland where he is hosting the G8 summit, told reporters he would leave the summit for a "face to face" report in London and then return later in the evening.

"It's reasonably clear there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London," Blair said. "There are obviously casualties, both people that have died and peole that are seriously injured.

Blair said it was "also reasonably clear" that the attacks were timed to coincide with the opening of the summit.

"It's particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of proverty in Africa and the long-term problems with the environment," he said.

Just before leaving for London, Blair made a second statement, surrounded by the other leaders present at the conference.

"All of our countries have suffered from the impact of terrorism," he said. "Those responsible have no respect for human life. We are united in our resolve to confront and defeat this terrorism that is not an attack on one nation, but all nations and on civilized people everywhere."

President Bush was among the somber leaders who stood behind Blair as he spoke.

"We will not yield to these people, will not yield to the terrorists," he said in a short statement after Blair departed. "We will find them, we will bring them to justice, and at the same time we will spread an ideology of hope and compassion that will overwhelm their ideology of hate."

London Mayor Ken Livingstone said the blasts were "mass murder" carried out by terrorists bent on "indiscriminate ... slaughter."

Livingstone, in Singapore where he supported London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympics, said: "I want to say one thing: This was not a terrorist attack against the mighty or the powerful, it is not aimed at presidents or prime ministers, it was aimed at ordinary working-class Londoners." (Full story)

The Web site claim of responsibility by al-Qaeda in Europe said the blasts were "in retalitation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"Here is Britain burning now out of fear and horror in its north, south east and west," the statement said, translated from Arabic by CNN. "We have often and repeatedly warned the British government and people." (Full story)

Despite calls from officials to stay home, Londoners were on the streets except in areas where they were barred by police.

Police cordoned off areas around six stations in and around the city's center and financial area and brought in sniffer dogs to check the areas.

Telephone traffic -- particularly by cell phone -- was nearly impossible. London's largest cellular provider, Vodaphone, said it had devoted much of its network to emergency services, causing the problems with subscribers.

London's police chief said the explosions, which began at about 8:50 a.m. (3:50 a.m. ET), certainly appeared coordinated.

One man, with blood streaming down the left side of his face from a wound on his temple, said he didn't "want to live through it again."

"I was in the front carriage and people were severely injured there," he said, dispassionately, adding that his train had been in the tunnel between Kings Cross and Russell Square. "I heard, but I don't know, that people were hurt worse further back. "Some people were very calm, others very panicky."

"There was a very loud bang, the lights went out, the carriage filled with smoke," he said. "We were all thrown forward."

Another man, clearly shaken by his experience, described being on a smoke-filled carriage on the same train, he and his fellow passengers afraid to try to leave the train.

"We were all trapped like sardines waiting to die," said Angelo Power. "I honestly thought I was going to die, as did everyone else."

A police spokesman urged Londoners to "stay where you are."

"There's no way to travel around London at the moment," he said.

"There is a London emergency plan," he said. "It has been put into effect. It is being coordinated by the Metropolitan Police, and that's about all I can say at the moment."

Scotland Yard sent out a notice saying that "public transport in London will be affected in the next few days."

Claire Burroughs, spokeswoman for St Mary's Hospital in central London, told CNN the hospital was on "major incident alert." Four patients were critically injured, eight were seriously injured and 14 others were being treated for minor injuries, she said.

"The types of injuries we are seeing include limb damage, burns, cuts, breaks, head injuries and chest problems due to smoke inhalation," Burroughs said.

London Hospital said it received 95 patients, most with minor injuries. Ten, however were listed in serious condition and seven in critical condition as well as "numerous with significant orthopedic injuries requiring immediate surgery."

Royal London Hospital, in east London near Aldgate station, said it had admitted 16 patients, 10 of them in critical condition. St. Bartholomew's hospital said it had treated and released 36 patients and had admitted two others.

CNN cameraman Oran O'Reilly said he has seen seven of the city's famed double-decker buses as well as police cars and ambulances arriving with casualties.

British Home Secretary Charles Clarke said the explosions took place between Russell Square and Kings Cross Underground; near the Moorgate, Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations Underground; and the Edgware Road station.

Police said a bomb was aboard one train at Edgware Road, but it exploded as another train was passing and hit that train as well.

The fourth explosion on a bus just outside Tavistock Hotel.

Jarvis Medhurst told CNN: "I was working at the Tavistock Hotel and a bus exploded literally 40 meters away from me. There was a massive explosion and a cloud of smoke, and then when the smoke stated to die down, you could see the wrecked bus, which was on fire.

"There were bodies everywhere. Heads and bits of bodies, heads and arms and legs all ripped away.

"There seemed to be kids lying around as well as adults. I'm just in shock, it's something I'll never forget."

London Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London's fire brigade are investigating, according to Scotland Yard.

O'Reilly, who was at Aldgate station, saw passengers coming out of it with signs of smoke inhalation -- black smudges around their mouths and noses.

"They're pushing people away from the tube (train) station," O'Reilly said. "Police are telling us to evacuate the street."

Also at Aldgate, CNN producer Roger Clark said he had seen people with blood running down their faces, with many others looking stunned.

An eyewitness who was on a train told Clark the car in front of him exploded and then the the train tunnel filed with smoke.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report

The banner at the top of the page now says at least 40 dead and 300 injured.

Oh, pray for the safety of our British A2k friends!

And let's have a moratorium on blaming each other's side for this for a few days if possible....

Cheers (and safety) to all

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 25,859 • Replies: 675
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:45 am
This seems to be the main thread on the topic:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55086
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:49 am
Thanks!

I think there will be plenty of discussion in this forum in the coming days as well, so I will leave the topic up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
cyclo, what are the implications in your opinion?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:59 am
Whew, where to begin.

My first thought is that a terrorist group who thinks that Britain doesn't know how to deal with bombings needs to do a little research into history; this kind of attack will probably not have the effect that the terrorists wanted.

The psychological point of the attack is far greater from a world-wide standpoint, because the fact is that if an attack like that can go down in London, it can go down anywhere.

Coordinated to make a statement about the G8 conference? Who can say? Blair seems to be holding pretty strong.

I haven't had any time for analysis yet, let me call a few people and post later today, I'm still worried about relatives Sad

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:07 am
I got an e mail saying " One good thing about the war in Iraq is that there's been less of these type attacks since 9-11"

go figure
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:21 am
I've been wondering if this has anything to do with Britain's plans for withdrawl... whether it is meant to keep them there or make them withdrwal faster I couldn't say.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
Not to minimze the casualties and injuries caused by these cowards, yet, it seems to me that this was not a very complex operation. If al-quida is actually behind this, I am somewhat surprised by the type of "attack" and the weaponry used.

The concern was that the "bigger, badder" destructive devices were still to come, be they bio or dirty bomb.

I am curious to see how this plays out.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
Hmm, well, it seems reminiscent to me of the Madrid attacks?

And the 9/11 attacks weren't very complex either, if you recall. Very simple in fact.

Perhaps the terrorists simply don't have the 'bigger, badder' devices as we have been told, or perhaps they just follow KISS rules...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:49 am
Cyclop, I hope that your relatives and or friends are safe and well.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:57 am
panzade wrote:
I got an e mail saying " One good thing about the war in Iraq is that there's been less of these type attacks since 9-11"

go figure

It goes without saying, I am a mad-dog bush bashing Liberal but (here I go again) this is a flagrant example of the failure of the Bush war on terrorism.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
So much for neither side blaming the other. Oh well, ya had to figure it was coming from somebody.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
Lol, well, can't expect an anarchist to follow the rules.

Let's try and save the vitriol for the upcoming weeks; there will be plenty of time for blame later.

Revel, I got ahold of my relatives (thru email, the phones there are jammed) and everyone is okay, so that's a relief.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:04 am
Good thing
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:06 pm
IF this has to do with Iraq it seems this can only stiffen the resolve and help Tony Blairs position on the war. BUT it did the exact opposite in Spain.

So... who knows.

TF
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
dyslexia wrote:
panzade wrote:

go figure

It goes without saying, I am a mad-dog bush bashing Liberal but (here I go again) this is a flagrant example of the failure of the Bush war on terrorism.

And here I thought it was a flagrant demonstration that Bush is right to try and oppose people who would do things like this. Clearly civilians were the primary, intended target, and that includes children.

Clearly Bush's decision to wage war against people who do things of this sort is necessary and good. As for it being a success or failure, that depends on you knowing how long it would take if executed competently. Your assertion that Bush's war on terror is a failure must be based on an opinion that it ought to have succeeded in largely suppressing violent Muslim extremism by now. How did you conclude that? Does it not depend on the degree of difficulty of the task? Is every military effort that doesn't achieve effective suppression of the enemy in four years a failure?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
Brandon, your post reminds me of a very postive thing about living in the US of A. You can post your opinion freely and so can I. That's a good thing, I think. Only 2 posters, so far today, have posted, very strongly, that I shouldn't have that right. That's a sad thing, I think.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 02:55 pm
Echoing Dys. Without differing points of view, there is little point to discussion, and without true freedom and liberty, there can be no open discussion of differing points of view. We indeed are fortunate to have that luxury, and we must ever oppose those who would seek to deprive us of it.

And Cyc, I'm sincerely glad those close to you are OK.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Am sitting here with the idiot box on, and CNN's already got their slick promo to reveal all of the implications, complete with ominous resounding statement and theme music. How quickly the newshawks turn the camera back on themselves and their bloated self-important reactive-and-vacant pontification.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon, your post reminds me of a very postive thing about living in the US of A. You can post your opinion freely and so can I. That's a good thing, I think. Only 2 posters, so far today, have posted, very strongly, that I shouldn't have that right. That's a sad thing, I think.

Not only do you have the right to express your political opinions freely, I'll defend it, and also the rights of people I disagree with far more than I do with you. If they stop you from speaking, I'm probably next.
0 Replies