What party or parties are responsible for establishing social norms?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 09:48 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
It used to be fashionable or socially acceptable to make jokes about homosexuality because that was something looked down upon. You can't do that now because LGBTQIA advocacy groups will be after you.

I'm going to guess the effects of the Gay Rights Movement, which began in the 60s, and gradual acceptance has led to people being less homophobic over the years. Major respected celebrities coming out as gay also helped, as well as recognizing the contributions made by LGBT people in history.

Quote:
You can't be publicly racist, especially on social media, and not get penalized for it.

I mean, isn't that a good thing? Less racist language and action should be considered to be a goal towards aiming. Twitter just banned KKK leader David Duke from their service. That is a good thing.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 10:40 am
@JGoldman10,
The Bilderbergs, Rockerfeller foundation, Club of Rome, Trilateral commission, Council on Foreign Relations, Rosicrucians, etc.

Have a Lovely Day
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 11:01 am
@mark noble,
Court of Owls, Hellfire Club, T.H.E.M., League of Shadows, Abstergo Industries, Thought Police, etc
mark noble

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 11:15 am
@Rebelofnj,
Never heard of any of those - Except Orwells' '1984' Thought Police - Published in 1948 (Numerology thingy).

Do you have a point?
Or just posting for attentions' sake?

Have a Lovely Day
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 12:00 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Do you have a point?
Or just posting for attentions' sake?

Any moment now Max will be along to say he loves irony.
mark noble

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 12:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Followed by Farmerman, No doubt:)

Have a Lovely Day, Izzy

Using your name for 'ad-populum' support:)

Seriously, though.

Have a Lovely Day
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 07:30 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
I know that. COPPA wants to makes sure people are targeting their material to the right audiences.

That is still not what COPPA actually does.

Quote:
The act, effective April 21, 2000, applies to the online collection of personal information by persons or entities under U.S. jurisdiction about children under 13 years of age including children outside the U.S., if the company is U.S.-based.[1] It details what a website operator must include in a privacy policy, when and how to seek verifiable consent from a parent or guardian, and what responsibilities an operator has to protect children's privacy and safety online including restrictions on the marketing of those under 13.[2]

While children under 13 can legally give out personal information with their parents' permission, many websites—particularly social media sites, but also other sites that collect most personal info—disallow children under 13 from using their services altogether due to the cost and work involved in complying with the law.[3][4][5]

The law was established 20 years ago, so nearly all US based websites are already following it. YouTube got in trouble with COPPA last year because it was "tracking viewing history of minors in order to facilitate targeted advertising."
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:34 am
There really IS a "thought police" as Rebel said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/06/24/defund_the_thought_police__143523.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/26/in-2020-we-need-to-fight-the-new-thoughtpolice/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/06/08/the-thought-police-are-seizing-control-of-americas-liberal-newsrooms/amp/
https://www.amazon.com/New-Thought-Police-Inside-Assault/dp/0761563733
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/thoughtpolice/?hl=en

This is mind-blowing. I thought America was a democracy and people had freedom of speech, religion and expression.

Has the thought police always existed in the U.S. in real life? The media refers to the real-life thought police we have now as the "new thought police". What was the old thought police like?

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 10:48 am
@JGoldman10,
As Mark Noble said, The Thought Police is an organization from the seminal fictional book, 1984 by George Orwell.

The book is usually read by most high schools and colleges. I'm guessing you never read it.

People do use terms from the book to describe certain policies made by governments around the world.

The other organizations I mentioned are also fictional.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 10:59 am
I was kind of hoping to have a sociological discussion on the impact of the pop culture, world events and economy on social interaction, since I actually do know this topic.

Alas, should have known this would get derailed.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 11:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
I’m sorry.

Mr Goldman is a prime target for conspiracy nuts.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 05:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
it used to be fashionable or socially acceptable to make jokes about homosexuality because that was something looked down upon. You can't do that now because LGBTQIA advocacy groups will be after you.

In an effort to keep the thread on track (if it is ever possible with JG), I will try to explain Americans’ changing attitude towards homosexuality.

As JG said, people were free to make homophobic jokes and use slurs as the mainstream opinion of homosexuality was low. Up until the mid 2000s, people used “that was gay” when describing something idiotic or expressing their displeasure.

The Stonewall riots of 1969 (leading to the modern gay rights movement), as well as the sexual revolution of the 60s and 70s, helped in building tolerance towards LGBTQIA people over time.

As I briefly mentioned previously, the gay community was heavily affected by the AIDS crisis in the 1980s. When the public learned that heterosexuals can also be afflicted by AIDS/HIV and were aware of the devastating effects of AIDS, people showed more sympathy towards the gay community.

This all leads to same sex marriage being a hot button issue in the US during the 2000s, before becoming legal nationwide on 2015.
Overall, this had led to newer generations being more socially progressive than the last.

With all that in mind, one can see how and why widespread acceptance of homosexuality has been achieved. And why homophobic jokes, slurs, and negative stereotypes have fallen out of favor with younger audiences. To quote a Pew study: “In the eyes of LGBT adults, greater social acceptance has come as a result of more Americans knowing someone who is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender as well as the efforts of high-profile public figures. A large majority (70%) says individuals simply knowing someone who is LGBT has helped a lot in terms of making society as a whole more accepting. Similar-sized majorities say well-known public figures—both LGBT (67%) and non-LGBT (66%)—have helped change societal views.”

To end on a more lighthearted note, here is a Saturday Night Live sketch featuring Larry David about how certain terms, once acceptable in the 80s, are no longer accepted in the 2010s.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/01/17/generation-z-looks-a-lot-like-millennials-on-key-social-and-political-issues/
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/06/13/chapter-2-social-acceptance/
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/stonewall-milestones-american-gay-rights-movement/
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 05:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
As a curiosity, I checked the Comics Code' original 1954 rules; so many modern comics (DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, etc) have since broken each rule, though the quality of the comics varies.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/TheComicsCode
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
There really is a "thought police". Did you look at the links I posted?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not into conspiracy theories. I do believe the Iluminati and other secret societies exist.

My mother told me her dad was a Freemason. She told me about other people she knew were Freemasons and about the stuff her dad and his friends did as Freemasons, like hand signals and such.

There are a couple of Freemason buildings and remnants of such buildings around my town. I know of one such building that has the All-Seeing Eye in the window. I think it was a building for some old college fraternity.

There are a couple of men's lodges around my town I know of. Are all men's lodges tied to the Freemasons?

Are any groups calling themselves "American Legion" tied to the Freemasons? There are a few of these groups on my town too.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 06:59 pm
When did "snowflakes" and "offending one's delicate sensibilities" become things?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I'm not into conspiracy theories. I do believe the Iluminati and other secret societies exist.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:20 pm
Is the NSA the government organization responsible for bugging people's phones? The organization has been around since 1952 but I didn't learn of they were until Obama got into office.

I know Edward Snowden was a former NSA employee who leaked government secrets to the general public when Obama was in office. He was labeled a "hero" because he was disclosing info about the government that the government didn't want made public. Of course Mr. Snowden got fired from his job at the NSA and as far as I know he's still on the lam from the government and is still hiding out in Russia somewhere.

I know the NSA monitors what people look at online.

People say bugging people's phones and digital devices came about as post-911 paranoia, but the government has been bugging people's phones for decades, long before Obama and G.W. Bush were in office. I don't know about people's digital devices though, especially those from the late 20th century.

I said in another thread I met a young man outside of my local library a few years ago; he educated me about current 21st century tech and told me how people's digital devices and cellphones and smartphones were bugged by the government.

There's a classic episode of The Jeffersons, from the '70s or '80s, in which George Jefferson makes a phone call and he made some comment about the U.S. president over the phone that was taken the wrong way, and not long after two Secret Service agents show up at his apartment because they misconstrued what George said as a threat.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
So, nothing to say about my response on homosexuality?

I even included trustworthy sources; not peer reviewed sources but I wasn't writing an academic paper.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 08:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'll read it again.