What superheroes and supervillains are popular that AREN'T DC or Marvel characters?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 04:13 am
@izzythepush,
The movie was ridiculous on top of being offensive. The story was a modern-day retelling of the story of Jesus' Crucification and the events that led up to it. "Modern-day" is a relative term; the film came out in the '70s. I still think it was one of the blasphemous and sacrilegious films I've ever seen.

I don't remember all the details of the film. I remember there were a bunch of people wearing modern-day clothes and they were commuting back and forth in a desert on a bus.

To me it was as ridiculous as that modern-day version of Romeo and Juliet which Leonardo DiCaprio was in.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 04:24 am
@JGoldman10,
You probably should know more about those streaming services, seeing as more people watch those instead of cable. Not to mention the shows there generate more online buzz and acclaim in recent years.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 04:31 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I still think it was one of the blasphemous and sacrilegious films I've ever seen.

If you think that film is sacrilegious, then you have a very low bar on what you think is sacrilegious. Also, apparently, you haven't seen a lot of films.

Honestly, I liked the 90s Romeo + Juliet film. The very flamboyant production design, clashing with the 15th century dialog, was fun to watch.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 05:11 am
@JGoldman10,
You look for excuses to be offended.

We’re you to be sent back in time to the sermon on the mount you’d find Jesus offensive.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 05:15 am
@Rebelofnj,
If something is timeless, like Shakespeare, it can be set anywhere.

I wasn’t too keen on the Baz Luhrman Romeo and Juliet, but I liked the recent versions of Coriolanus and Richard III.

One thing that annoyed me about R&J was at the beginning when Tybalt drops a burning cigarette on a pool of petrol and starts a fire. A lit cigarette won’t do that, you need a naked flame.

I know I’m being petty,I admit it.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 08:31 am
@JGoldman10,
So what exactly do you like that isn't controversial and inoffensive in anyway to you?

It seems like everything you have mentioned over the years is offensive to you in some way.

Even all of the superheroes and supervillains mentioned in this thread would be considered offensive to you in some way. If not the characters, then the writers, artists, creators, actors, directors, and so on (all those who work on superhero media) may lead lives that run counter to yours or are more tolerant to other lifestyles.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The movie was ridiculous on top of being offensive. The story was a modern-day retelling of the story of Jesus' Crucification and the events that led up to it. "Modern-day" is a relative term; the film came out in the '70s. I still think it was one of the blasphemous and sacrilegious films I've ever seen.

I don't remember all the details of the film. I remember there were a bunch of people wearing modern-day clothes and they were commuting back and forth in a desert in a bus.

To me it was as ridiculous as that modern-day version of Romeo and Juliet which Leonardo DiCaprio was in.

-FIXED
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Seeing modern-day characters in a show or film using Shakespearean prose is a bit weird.

I liked the show Frasier - Niles and Frasier Crane had a penchant for using highfalutinisms. So did William Buckley. I liked the way they spoke and I could understand what they were talking about. I could be wrong - they probably only or mainly appealed to an esoteric lot. Presumably not everyone can understand the words they used, as my mother pointed out.

Would a general audience be turned off by a film or show if EVERY character in the film or show spewed highfalutinisms? Or would it just appeal to the esoteric lot who like highfalutinisms?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

He certainly was offended when I told him about the comic Punk Rock Jesus, which is about a clone of Jesus, forced to star in a reality show and ultimately joining a punk rock band.

That's right up there with Preacher or Battle Pope. I'm not Catholic but I think the latter title is very offensive.

The Bible says God is not mocked. People should not making of anything pertaining to Christianity but I don't think they should be making fun of anything pertaining to ANY religion.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

You probably should know more about those streaming services, seeing as more people watch those instead of cable.

What about satellite TV?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 03:16 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes. Cable and Satellite. Did I have to specify for you to understand?

Both of them access the same exact channels, except for a handful.

You also keep avoiding answering this question:

So what exactly do you like that isn't controversial and inoffensive in anyway to you?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 06:08 am
@JGoldman10,
Frasier was a popular show during its 11 year run, so it is likely that people did understand what the characters were saying.

There are still characters in current media that speak with a more sophisticated vocabulary (or highfalutinisms, as you call it).
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 06:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
People should not making of anything pertaining to Christianity but I don't think they should be making fun of anything pertaining to ANY religion.

So, what are the immediate consequences if people do create such works?
Mark Millar wrote the first American Jesus comic in 2004, and now he is happily married with a successful career. He is currently writing American Jesus Volume 3.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
You mean characters and people in real life who use an extensive, sophisticated vocabulary like William Buckley. They use words that aren't commonly used in everyday speech, like those 10- and 15-letter words most people don't use, or like those vocabulary words you had to know the definition of when taking a SAT test in school.

This is what I'm referring to as highfalutin terminology, or "highfalutinisms".
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:25 am
@Rebelofnj,
A lot of the cartoon shows and live-action sitcoms they aired on Adult Swim mocked Christianity, God and the Bible. That's why I stopped watching Adult Swim. I don't know what the consequences of mocking God, Christianity and the Bible is, but that is very dangerous.

Seth MacFarlane made a recent comedy film that took place in the Old West. He was making fun of Christians in that.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:31 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Yes. Cable and Satellite. Did I have to specify for you to understand?

Both of them access the same exact channels, except for a handful.

You also keep avoiding answering this question:

I don't know. I'm thinking about and analyzing secular entertainment from a Christian standpoint.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:32 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I don't know what the consequences of mocking God, Christianity and the Bible is, but that is very dangerous.

If the consequences are not known, then people will continue to make these types of works.

The only vague consequence is probably spending eternity in hell, but that doesn't mean much to people of different faiths or atheists such as Seth MacFarlane, who is still enjoying a successful career.

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:34 am
@Rebelofnj,
These people are not Christians. They don't see anything wrong with mocking God, Christianity and the Bible. These people don't fear God.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:36 am
I don't have a problem with most Christian entertainment.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 07:38 am
@JGoldman10,
So what Christian entertainment do you like, exactly?

This is not at all a hard question.