What superheroes and supervillains are popular that AREN'T DC or Marvel characters?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2020 07:58 pm
Since we're talking about non-DC and non-Marvel superheroes and supervillains what non-DC and non-Marvel superheroes and supervillains were popular in the '80s?

The only ones I can think of were He-Man and his allies and Skeleton and his allies, and the Thundercats and Mumm-ra, the original TMNT and their allies and Shredder and his allies and henchmen.

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:57 am
@JGoldman10,
Those shows aren't exactly considered to be superhero shows.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 04:00 am
@JGoldman10,
2000AD started off in the 70s, as did its companion comic Starlord.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay,. What superheroes and supervillains were popular back in the '80s that weren't DC or Marvel characters?

Buck Rodgers? Flash Gordon? Flash fought Ming the Merciless. Was Ming considered a supervillain?

I don't know too much about the villains Buck fought.

Was Toxic Avenger a popular character? He was around in the '80s.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Since we're talking about non-DC and non-Marvel superheroes and supervillains what non-DC and non-Marvel superheroes and supervillains were popular in the '80s?

The only ones I can think of were He-Man and his allies and Skeletor and his allies, and the Thundercats and Mumm-ra, the original TMNT and their allies and Shredder and his allies and henchmen.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 07:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
You just repeated the same question, but now you're naming pulp heroes from the 1930s.

The Toxic Avenger is a cult favorite but he never had long-lasting mainstream appeal.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 08:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
There was a Flash Gordon movie from the '80s and a Buck Rodgers TV series from the '80s.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 08:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Okay. What superheroes and supervillains were popular back in the '80s that weren't DC or Marvel characters? If it's not any of the characters I named?

Buck Rogers? Flash Gordon? Flash fought Ming the Merciless. Was Ming considered a supervillain?

I don't know too much about the villains Buck fought.

Was Toxic Avenger a popular character? He was around in the '80s.

-FIXED.

Why wouldn't He-man, Thundercats and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series be considered superhero shows?

He-Man's civilian ID was Prince Adam. He-man was constantly saving his kingdom from the threat of Skeletor and his minions.

A quick Google or Bing search says the Thundercats are alien superheroes and that the TMNT are superheroes.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 09:08 pm
What superheroes and supervillains were popular back in the '90s that weren't DC or Marvel characters?

I can think of a few superhero characters - The Maxx, The Mask, Tank Girl and Aeon Flux.

I don't know of any supervillains off-hand.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 03:18 am
@JGoldman10,
You somehow forgot about the characters from Image Comics: The Darkness, Witchblade, Savage Dragon, Wildstorm, Spawn, Youngblood. There is also Hellboy from Dark Horse Comics.

Those comics were very popular in the 90s, and they have been mentioned to you many times over the years and the other times you asked this question.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:09 am
@Rebelofnj,
What about characters from '80s comics? This question has not been answered.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:12 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

You somehow forgot about the characters from Image Comics: The Darkness, Witchblade, Savage Dragon, Wildstorm, Spawn, Youngblood. There is also Hellboy from Dark Horse Comics.

I don't know what The Darkness is. I've heard of most of those titles.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
Do you know anything about the '80s Buck Rogers TV series and the Flash '80s Flash Gordon film?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:25 am
@JGoldman10,
So, once you have the names of these 80s/90s comic book characters, then what?

Are you going to read these comics?

Between here, Yahoo Answers, and the other Q&A sites, you have been given the names of dozens of characters, some of them repeatedly.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
I want to look them up. Yes.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't really read any superhero comic books from the '80s. I want to read them online.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Do you know anything about the '80s Buck Rogers TV series and the '80s Flash Gordon film?

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 09:42 am
@JGoldman10,
Except nearly all of these comics mentioned have content that is offensive to your beliefs.

I highly doubt you are going to enjoy Hellboy and The Darkness.

Why ask the same questions over and over, when you given the same answers almost each time?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I didn't really read any superhero comic books from the '80s. I want to read them online.

You know that costs money, right? Which you are often complaining is an issue. And I hope no one here is going to offer to help you find them on illegal/immoral pirated sites.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 02:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I recently asked what superheroes and supervillains in the '80s were popular that aren't DC or Marvel characters on Yahoo Answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200805152717AA0s7vQ

And this is the answer I was given:

"Most popular 80s comics that aren't Marvel or DC? Well like you said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were created in the 80s and were instantly a smash hit. Plus there were comics such as Grimjack and The Badger and The Elementals which some people say were Marvel and DC ripoffs but can stand on their own as fun reads. Also Watchmen is the highest selling comic of all time. Yes its published by DC, but all the characters are based on the comics from another company called Charlton Comics. Characters like The Question, Blue Beetle and Capatain Atom who were purchased by DC in the mid 80s but in the early 80s were still owned by Charlton. Also if you count manga as comics you could include popular series such as Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. Plus the popular British character Judge Dredd had one of his most popular stories, the Apocalypse War, in the 80s."
0 Replies