What superheroes and supervillains are popular that AREN'T DC or Marvel characters?

Jupiterum

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 01:14 am
V from V for Vendetta
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 03:12 am
@Jupiterum,
It’s Alan Moore, his work has already been mentioned along with the rest of the Warrior/2000AD canon.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 11:47 am
@Jupiterum,
Jupiterum wrote:

V from V for Vendetta

Technically, V for Vendetta is a DC character as DC owns Vertigo, the publisher of said graphic novel.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 11:50 am
@tsarstepan,
It originally appeared in Warrior, published by Quality Communications.

At the time DC had nothing to do with it.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Once a corporation gets a hold of the IP, they own the soul of said product. Just ask Disney.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
For a minute I thought you meant IPC who published 2000AD.

Although you are right about V being DC owned it was created over here, a very different place from Batman Superman et al.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 08:05 pm
@izzythepush,
For want of a better digression, IPC used to make a mean root beer. Maybe they still do. I haven't had it in years.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 12:45 pm
Netflix have released 2 superhero related films in the last few months.

The Old Guard, about an immortal mercenary, based on the comic by Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez

Project Power, "follows a drug dealer, a police officer, and a former soldier who team up to stop the distribution of a pill that gives the user superpowers for five minutes."

Netflix is also working on an adaptation of the Mark Millar comic Reborn, which is about a woman dying of old age and finding herself in a mystical afterlife with dragons and monsters.
https://www.thewrap.com/bek-smith-mark-millar-comic-reborn-netflix/

As part of a deal, Netflix will also adapt the other comics written by Mark Millar (writer of Kick-Ass, Wanted, and Kingsman)
The new adaptations include:
*Jupiter's Legacy - follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930’s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents.
*American Jesus - follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ.
*Empress - Queen Emporia is married to the worst dictator in the galaxy, King Morax. After escaping his palace with her children, Emporia and her family, must hide from Morax and his army at all costs
*Huck - In a quiet seaside town, Huck uses his special gifts to do a good deed each day. His neighbors return the favors by keeping his abilities a secret. But when a newcomer alerts the media, a firestorm erupts, sending Huck on an adventure that will change everything. (Sidenote: Millar wrote this story after seeing DC's Man of Steel and was deeply troubled by that film's dark tone)
*Sharkey The Bounty Hunter - Set in a brilliant new sci-fi universe, Sharkey is a blue-collar bounty-hunter tracking criminals across the galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice-cream truck.
*The Magic Order - five families of magicians sworn to protect our world must battle an enemy who’s picking them off one by one.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/17/17581986/netflix-mark-millar-shows-movies-millarworld
https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-magic-order-james-wan-lindsey-beer-executive-produce-mark-millar-netflix-series-1202615995/
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 01:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

*American Jesus - follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ.

JGodlman reads that sentence.
https://imgur.com/6kjIaKQ.gif

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 02:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
He certainly was offended when I told him about the comic Punk Rock Jesus, which is about a clone of Jesus, forced to star in a reality show and ultimately joining a punk rock band.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 02:55 pm
@Rebelofnj,
How is/was he with Jesus Christ Superstar? Or Godspell?
I recall at the time of each of their releases, a number of alleged Christians were outraged. It was a sad commentary, since in both cases, they were at least in part, meant as a positive way to introduce the younger generation to the word of God and life of Jesus.

Godspell movie was released in March 1973, Jesus Christ Superstar in August of the same year.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 03:22 pm
@Sturgis,
I think JG viewed Superstar as blasphemous. Something about how Jesus was depicted.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 03:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That sounds about right for him (and plenty of others).

It seems to me, there'd be at least some positive feedback from the religious community.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 12:50 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I watched Jesus Christ Superstar the film on video with my dad when I was a kid. It was sacrilegious and blasphemous. It was a '70s rock opera that took place during the '70s that made a mockery of the Gospel message. I didn't like it and I still don't.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 01:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
It didn’t mock it at all. If anything it brought Christianity to a wider audience.

You people are so quick to takeoffence.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 01:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
So any opinion on the various Netflix projects based on Mark Millar's comics? For an independent comic creator, Millar is viewed as a major success, even if you exclude his DC/Marvel works.

I just assume you don't care for any musicals.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Jesus wasn't a hippie.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes the way Jesus was depicted in Superstar was offensive.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 12:13 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know anything about Netflix, Hulu or any of these streaming services people use nowadays. I don't use them.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 03:18 am
@JGoldman10,
He certainly looked like one.

He wasn’t some fat cat snake oil selling TV evangelist.