Anyone eyeing an Ouya gaming console?

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:49 am
Quote:
Ouya Kickstarter drive nets $8.5 million. What's next?

The team behind Ouya, an open-source video game console, has raised an astonishing $8.5 million. Completed consoles are expected in March.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2012/0809/Ouya-Kickstarter-drive-nets-8.5-million.-What-s-next\
Quote:

Pledge $99 or more
46124 Backers Limited (33876 of 80000 left)

GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.
Est. delivery: Mar 2013

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

engineer

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
No. I understand the effort, but I'm really satisfied with my PS3. The graphics are insane, the quality of the gameplay is outstanding for the titles I buy (and I only buy the titles that get really good reviews), and I can play blue ray, stream video and pictures from my PC network at home. I recently built a file server and my PS3 immediately picked it up as a file server and I was streaming pictures within minutes. I'm not sure there is a niche for an open source game system.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
No. I get everything I want in gaming from my iPad. But I only like certain types of games like Myst, Waking Mars, Spider Bryce Manor, Limbo, etc, which work well on that platform.

My biggest gripe in gaming is that there aren't enough of the type of games that I like. So until the availability of high quality games in the true "adventure" style (as exampled above) are available, gaming just isn't high on my priority list.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
@engineer,
The PS3 as a console generation is 6+ years old. I expect that Sony MUST be coming out with the next generation console next year. Are you game for upgrading to a PS4 if and when it comes out? Especially if its backwards compatible with your PS3 and older games?
engineer

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
My original, first generation 60gb PS3 just died (luckily I haven't used my PS2 games in years) and I just got a new 300gb PS3 so I'd likely wait, but the PS3 was ten years ahead of its time six years ago and its graphics are still top notch (no one is making games in 1080p resolution yet and only a few Sony games even try for 1080i since the Xbox can't handle it) so I doubt Sony is working on a new platform. They have been increasing their high end titles recently so I think they've decided that the money is in more and better games, not a better console. I'm not even sure what a better console would do. The original PS3 had wi-fi, wired network capability, blue ray, 1080p support, the ability to replace and upgrade the hard drive, blue tooth support, USB drive support, etc. What would you add? I did have to buy a cheap USB dongle to get my IR remote to work with it but that was all of $15.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:19 pm
After showing the video to Mo I can confidently say that we will absolutely be getting one.

It looks like it would be great for road trips, etc.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:42 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
the PS3 was ten years ahead of its time six years ago and its graphics are still top notch (no one is making games in 1080p resolution yet and only a few Sony games even try for 1080i since the Xbox can't handle it) so I doubt Sony is working on a new platform. They have been increasing their high end titles recently so I think they've decided that the money is in more and better games, not a better console. I'm not even sure what a better console would do. The original PS3 had wi-fi, wired network capability, blue ray, 1080p support, the ability to replace and upgrade the hard drive, blue tooth support, USB drive support, etc. What would you add?

Newer processors to handle more complicated and realistic graphics, even if the resolution stays the same?
shindig

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:15 pm
@engineer,
Main difference is the cost to enter the market, for developers.

Which aren't necessarily the AAA pretty pixel $1 billion budget $60 to buy console games. You still will want a console for those.

But the ouya is more powerful than the majority of mobiles currently out there. It's not the fastest mobile technology, but it's 2x as powerful as many 4g devices. (my samsung phone and kindle fire both have 512mb, yet play 3d games)

The big thing though, for developers, is the console makers charge 1/3 of what you make, on top of all the other costs to make/market your game. You may have other licensing costs for a game engine on top of that.

Already large developers are starting to shift towards mobile games, having a meatier hardware that they can target without the huge licensing fee's will only encourage it.

I'm making android games and would love to see them on the TV. Since I'm targeting devices with 512mb as my baseline, it should only run better on the ouya.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:17 am
OUYA UPDATE:
Quote:
OUYA Finds a Friend With Amazon
Preorders for both consoles and controllers will start being accepted on Tuesday, in advance of retail availability in June 2013. Additional retailers include Target and Best Buy, who will sell the console for about $100.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/05/ouya-finds-a-friend-with-amazon/
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:57 am
@tsarstepan,
The console may look fine and dandy but I'm a little hesitant about the open source part. I have ubuntu partitioned on my desktop, and I play this little game called Tremulous which is an open source multiplayer game, with the graphics of Halo 1. Everyone hacks that game, and the game gets nowhere with aliens having turrets sticking out their torso and what not, and humans with infinite bullets and infinite health. I don't know how ouya will tackle hackers in multiplayer games.
I'll stick with my powerful PC and my 360, and pass up on this console this year that is built as a powerful smartphone and not as a powerful PC. If the reviews are great after the initial release, I may order one.
Anyway rumor has it that the next console by xbox is coming out late this year, and sony is coming out with a successor to the play station after xbox, maybe 2014.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:21 am
@aspvenom,
Good points aspvenom. I don't think this console will be popular with serious gamers. Might be popular with ubercasual gamers, the ones who play solitaire at work or merely play Angry Birds on their iPhone.
aspvenom

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 11:32 am
@tsarstepan,
And another worry that is creating hesitation on my part is the “free to play content” part. All this does is reinforce the pay-to-continue model that people like EA are abusing now. I want to buy a game, and get that whole game. If the game costs $65 up front but delivers an oblivion like experience, I'm fine with that. This pay as you go model allows them to trick people into spending more because it makes you think you're only just spending a little more and i believe it is the disease of the industry — not the cure. And what is with the one usb port for a game console?
You're right this console is targeted mainly for the casual gamers. Not to say that casual gamers will find the popular and powerful consoles in the market entertaining.
I'm going to assume that the smart phones coming out this year will have the same tech specs as the ouya. i think HTC One X already has a Tegra 3 processor. So why not just upgrade their phones, I wonder. Wouldn't it make more sense to put a tegra 4 chip running as the CPU in the Ouya and be one step ahead of the phones? Or instead of tegra have a PowerVR 6 series (Rogue) should be shipping this quarter, and is rumored to put out around 210 Gflops. And that's speaking volumes, for comparison, Xbox 360 class performance which is 240 GLFOPs. inded, GFLOPS is not the greatest way of measuring performance, but something interesting to keep in mind is that Rogue is still using the same process technology as PowerVR's current stuff but will just support some newer GPU features. ROP count, TMU count and memory bandwidth all contribute to performance. Considering the high resolution displays becoming popular in the mobile market, it'd make sense to scale the number of ROP's and TMU's alongside shader performance. The real telling difference between this and the Xbox 360 in terms of raw hardware is that the Xbox 360 has a 10 MB of eDRAM with an incredible amount of bandwidth too. Hence why the Xbox 360 was often marketed with '4x MSAA for free' to developers (though modern deferred rendering engine can't take advantage of it). PowerVR does have nice trick up its sleeve using tile based rendering. That conserves a good chunk of memory bandwidth for better efficiency but I doubt it'd be enough offset the benefits eDRAM brings to the XBox 360.
And now I'm off topic and will be on my way. LOL
0 Replies

jamewatsn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 12:21 am
No. I get everything I want in gaming from my iPad. But I only like certain types of games like Myst, Waking Mars, Spider Bryce Manor, Limbo, etc, which work well on that platform.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:09 am
@jamewatsn,
jamewatsn wrote:

That quote looks familiar somehow Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 03:12 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
engineer wrote:
the PS3 was ten years ahead of its time six years ago and its graphics are still top notch (no one is making games in 1080p resolution yet and only a few Sony games even try for 1080i since the Xbox can't handle it) so I doubt Sony is working on a new platform. They have been increasing their high end titles recently so I think they've decided that the money is in more and better games, not a better console. I'm not even sure what a better console would do. The original PS3 had wi-fi, wired network capability, blue ray, 1080p support, the ability to replace and upgrade the hard drive, blue tooth support, USB drive support, etc. What would you add?

Newer processors to handle more complicated and realistic graphics, even if the resolution stays the same?

Yep.

PS4 specs:

Processor:
Octa-Core AMD x86-64 "Jaguar"-based @ 1.6 GHz
Shared 4 MB L2 cache (Cores 0-3: 2 MB, Cores 4-7: 2 MB)

Graphics:
AMD Radeon "Liverpool"
1152 shaders @ 800 MHz (1.84 TFLOP/s)
Fillrates: 25.6 Gpixel/s, 57.6 Gtexel/s

Unified System Memory (serves as memory for both CPU and GPU):
8 GB GDDR5 RAM @ 5500 MHz (176.0 GB/s)
0 Replies