Let's fire Trump

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 10:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
And he really misunderstands 14th Amendment, as well as the 1st and the second.

I understand all of those amendments perfectly.

The Second Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms from infringement.

The Fourteenth Amendment extends the Second Amendment to cover state and local governments.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 10:47 pm
@oralloy,
Oh.

So, Ruth Bader Ginsburg who Clinton appointed is...flouting the Rule Of Law.

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 10:48 pm
@neptuneblue,
Correct.

But if Mr. Trump is the one who appoints her eventual replacement, then we will be much closer to a Supreme Court that upholds the law.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:01 pm
@oralloy,
If you have no trust in the Supreme Court now, how will anything be different in the future, seeing how Trump has failed so far?
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:03 pm
@neptuneblue,
He has not failed so far. We only need him to keep going and appoint more justices.

The reason why things will be different in the future if Mr. Trump appoints more justices is because we will then finally have a majority on the court who favors upholding the law.

If Joe Biden is able to appoint justices who flout the law, that's how things will stay the same.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:07 pm
@oralloy,
That is incorrect. One of Trump's appointees upheld the law, the other didn't. How do you know Trump will not fail again by appointing someone who will not uphold the law once again?
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:10 pm
@neptuneblue,
He only failed to uphold the law because he was naive and was outmaneuvered by the Democrats.

There is a substantial difference between "someone who wants to uphold the law and is tricked" and "someone who maliciously wants to flout the law".

Note the fact that the four Democratic appointees intentionally flouted the law without being tricked into doing it.

Besides, even if Mr. Trump had by mistake appointed someone who wanted to flout the law, the fact remains that he is trying to appoint justices who will uphold the law.

Joe Biden will try to appoint justices who will flout the law.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:14 pm
@oralloy,
So, are you saying a Supreme Court Justice is SO stupid, that they are gullible to outside influence?

Well, that hardly makes your case. That means Trump is too stupid to even appoint someone who is reliable and can withstand the pressure of the position.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:15 pm
@neptuneblue,
No one is perfect. I suspect that he regrets being tricked will not make the same mistake twice.

And again: "someone who wants to uphold the law and is tricked" is far preferable to "someone who maliciously flouts the law".

What sort of logic advises responding to a defeat by giving the enemy more power to win in the future?

If we don't have enough votes to uphold the law now, the answer is to get more votes to uphold the law.

Giving the Democrats more votes to flout the law will only ensure that the law keeps being flouted.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:23 pm
@oralloy,
Again, you're implying a Supreme Court Justice is stupid.

And if that's any indication of the Trump nominee, I can see why you are so heavily pushing in that direction.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
I imply no such thing. Everyone makes mistakes. I suspect that he regrets being tricked will not make the same mistake twice.

Besides, what sort of logic says that if we don't currently have enough votes, the answer is to ensure that we have fewer votes in the future?

If we don't have enough votes to uphold the law now, the answer is to get even more votes to uphold the law.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:29 pm
@oralloy,
Repeating your original answer still doesn't answer why you want stupid people to sit on the Supreme Court.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:32 pm
@neptuneblue,
My original answer makes it clear that that isn't what I want.

It also makes it clear that your characterization of stupidity on Kavanaugh's part is untrue.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:37 pm
@oralloy,
I mentioned no names. It's your conjecture that fails you.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:39 pm
@neptuneblue,
He is the Trump appointee who was tricked into not upholding the law.

Who else could you be referring to?
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:44 pm
@oralloy,
Oh.

So Kavanaugh cannot be trusted to uphold Rule Of Law.

I already knew that.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:45 pm
@neptuneblue,
Of course he can be trusted. Everyone makes mistakes. I suspect that he regrets being tricked will not make the same mistake twice.

But even if he couldn't be trusted, when you lack the votes to uphold the law, the answer is not to have even fewer votes in the future.

When you don't have enough votes to uphold the law, the answer is to get even more votes to uphold the law.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:52 pm
@oralloy,
I am most assured he won't make the same "mistake" again.

Next time, he will side with the Rule Of Law.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 11:55 pm
@neptuneblue,
That is likely.

But the more votes on the Court for upholding the rule of law the better. Thus the desirability of reelecting Mr. Trump.
neptuneblue

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 12:00 am
@oralloy,
Since Trump has shown his inability to nominate a winning team of Supreme Court Justices that can uphold Rule Of Law, I highly doubt his future picks will be much different.